Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 266 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #33121
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
Any of you Mpls St Paul area riders registered for the Miesville Grinder this coming Saturday?
It's only 53 miles but with the spring we've had that should be enough. Great riding down there with part of the route following the Cannon river which is a cool road via moto or pedal.
I am! Are you?

It's on Sunday..... The 13th.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #33122
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I am! Are you?

It's on Sunday..... The 13th.
Damn it is on Sunday
Good thing you said something
Yeah, I'm going, better update my buddy who I'm pretty sure was going to be picking me up on Saturday in the AM.

I'll be with another ADVRider member (Although one who doesn't really post much) and we'll be coming down in a black Honda Element. I'll be the taller one on a Salsa Warbird.
See you there!
Pete
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #33123
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
That's like a pre-breakfast ride for ducnut.
Not anymore, with failing wrists! Really suffering, unfortunately.

You, however, are a different story.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #33124
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,844
10 most dangerous states for bicyclists

Be careful out there!

M
Old 04-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #33125
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
Well, it's good to see some folks are getting some miles in 'cause I sure the Hell ain't. Work and family matters continue to conspire against yours truly.

I'm currently in Cary, NC for some training until the end of the week. I'm coming back for three weeks in June and have determined to bring the road bike along with. Can any NC inmates (Yeti? Ridge?) point me towards any good local resources and/routes? I'm going to see about borrowing a hard travel case and leave the rest up to the Almighty, my insurance, and the airline's baggage mis-handlers.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:35 AM   #33126
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
No wonder Aurelius rides his road bike on greenways and stays off the roads. Many of the motorcycle crashes on our mountain roads involve visiting Floridians who can't negotiate corners and had to lay'er down. The Tree of Shame at Deals Gap is chock full of sunshine state bike fairings.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #33127
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I just got a quote of $18/month for cyclist insurance through that link at velosurance.com. Anyone else use something like that? With so much money invested in my bikes, it kind of makes sense to insure them while I'm traveling and racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Well, it's good to see some folks are getting some miles in 'cause I sure the Hell ain't. Work and family matters continue to conspire against yours truly.

I'm currently in Cary, NC for some training until the end of the week. I'm coming back for three weeks in June and have determined to bring the road bike along with. Can any NC inmates (Yeti? Ridge?) point me towards any good local resources and/routes? I'm going to see about borrowing a hard travel case and leave the rest up to the Almighty, my insurance, and the airline's baggage mis-handlers.
Crap riding in Cary (crazed, re-planted New Englanders tend to congregate there). Go south to Apex(Yellow Dot, It's a Grind and CSH rides), North Raleigh for the BHB ride or head about 45 minutes west to Chapel Hill and I'll ride with ya. I only go to Cary/Apex about once per month for my team ride.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #33128
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Renters insurance is pretty similar in cost and covers all your possessions. I'd check that out.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #33129
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post

What Ridge said. Stay off the main 2 lane roads like highway 55 unless you have a death wish. Try working your way over to Lake Wheeler and doing this loop south east of Cary. I'd ride south on Lake Wheeler road to the outskirts of Fuquay Varina, cross route 401, and keep going south on Purfoy rd. Then right on Chalybeate Springs rd west, cross 401 and continue on to Cokesbury. Head north to 42 and continue on Cass Holt rd through Holly Springs, then right on Penney rd back to Lake Wheeler.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #33130
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Crap riding in Cary (crazed, re-planted New Englanders tend to congregate there). Go south to Apex(Yellow Dot, It's a Grind and CSH rides), North Raleigh for the BHB ride or head about 45 minutes west to Chapel Hill and I'll ride with ya. I only go to Cary/Apex about once per month for my team ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
What Ridge said. Stay off the main 2 lane roads like highway 55 unless you have a death wish. Try working your way over to Lake Wheeler and doing this loop south east of Cary. I'd ride south on Lake Wheeler road to the outskirts of Fuquay Varina, cross route 401, and keep going south on Purfoy rd. Then right on Chalybeate Springs rd west, cross 401 and continue on to Cokesbury. Head north to 42 and continue on Cass Holt rd through Holly Springs, then right on Penney rd back to Lake Wheeler.
Thanks guys...you've given me lots of fodder for the Garmin!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #33131
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,565
This is my team's base route and we'll make variations of distance using connecting roads. Old US1 can get busy as you get closer to town lines but the riding around Lake Jordan is pretty awesome.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4398349
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #33132
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
No wonder Aurelius rides his road bike on greenways and stays off the roads. Many of the motorcycle crashes on our mountain roads involve visiting Floridians who can't negotiate corners and had to lay'er down. The Tree of Shame at Deals Gap is chock full of sunshine state bike fairings.
Yep, I had considered buying a bicycle when I moved down here, but then I noticed how the locals drove and decided against it.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #33133
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
Damn it is on Sunday
Good thing you said something
Yeah, I'm going, better update my buddy who I'm pretty sure was going to be picking me up on Saturday in the AM.

I'll be with another ADVRider member (Although one who doesn't really post much) and we'll be coming down in a black Honda Element. I'll be the taller one on a Salsa Warbird.
See you there!
Pete
Cool!
I am a tall guy on a big Salsa Fargo (a green one). I drive a dark blue Toyota Sienna.

Doug
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #33134
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Finally, some good footage of our local flow trail, which we've been tweaking over the winter to meet specs set forth by IMBA. The dog chase at 7:20 is most excellent.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #33135
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
"Anniston" - wow....pretty cool!
There are some pretty damned good climbs in that area. Climbing Cheaha will get your attention.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: