Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #33136
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,862
After the ride.....

After my ride today, before I showered, I gave Kimble the beagle a quick bath. Kimble isn't the kind of dog who wants to be cuddled or even held but I wrapped him up in a towel and placed him in my lap. He didn't fight and immediately, made himself comfortable. I think he would have fallen asleep given enough time! Kimble will be 15 years old in Dec. His hearing is going but his appetite is great.

Happy to have "helmet hair". Heck, compared to many my age, I'm happy to have hair!

k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #33137
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 32,066
We are under contract on our dream house which happens (just by chance ) to be within riding distance of the ( in)famous Walker Ranch Loop in the mountains above Boulder, Colorado.
Fingers crossed it becomes my home trail (I'm going to have to improve my cardio!) especially considering my last name is actually Walker

*fingers crossed*

.mobile
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:27 AM   #33138
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 902
Great trail, I watched a really fit blonde gal clean a rocky section there on her ridgid single speed shortly after I dabbed twice on my full bounce. In my defense it was my first time on the trail but she rode it like a pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
We are under contract on our dream house which happens (just by chance ) to be within riding distance of the ( in)famous Walker Ranch Loop in the mountains above Boulder, Colorado.
Fingers crossed it becomes my home trail (I'm going to have to improve my cardio!) especially considering my last name is actually Walker

*fingers crossed*

.mobile
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:43 AM   #33139
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,839
Windy as F**k!

Got out for a decent ride yesterday, and it seemed no matter which way we went, the wind was in our face! I'm ready for some temps in the 60's please...

rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #33140
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,795
This past week has been by far my most productive in terms of setting personal records, so yesterday I decided to once again try my luck at the thing I'm worst at: climbing hills.

There's a section of my favorite trail called 'Aunt Cindy's Hill', which is nearly a mile long with an elevation change of 40 feet. Previously I'd done no better than 116th place, which I attribute to the lack of oxygen at the dizzying height of 35 ft. above sea level. Undeterred, I decided to go for it, and managed to post the 9th fastest time out of 968 riders. Comparing power output to the other top ten riders once again confirmed that skinny guys rule on hill climbs. No one, with the sole exception of the KOM holder, averaged more watts than I did (402W vs. 389W); most were 60-100W less than that, even though they were outpacing me.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #33141
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,963
The day the course won. 2014 Cohutta100 (75 for me...) full report to come later.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #33142
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
The day the course won. 2014 Cohutta100 (75 for me...) full report to come later.
I hope RudeDude on his KTM 530 didn't cover you in dust on one of the fire roads. He called yesterday to tell me about his ride and I was like dammit man, WTF were you thinking?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #33143
Ridge
Sinister Kid

ha... no KTMs were harmed in the running of the race. I had to dodge a few errant tourists hauling ass up dirt roads in minivans but never saw a moto.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:53 AM   #33144
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,831
good reading about the Lotus superbike

M
Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #33145
Ridge
Sinister Kid

If anyone wants to read the full race report from this past weekend at Cohutta100, I posted it on Tumblr.

http://bigring1975.tumblr.com/post/8...the-course-won
Old 04-29-2014, 08:42 AM   #33146
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 2,086
We made a biking trip to Utah. We landed in Salt Lake City at noon. By 2, we were out on a shakedown run on the Bobsled Run.

Life in Salt Lake City seems pretty appealing.

The next day we hauled ass to Moab. First stop: EKG and Alaska on Klondike Bluff. Apparently, these are relatively new trails. I rented a Kona Satori, which is a fantastic bicycle. I may have to start shopping for one.

This trail system mixes up slickrock and soil.

The next day, it was off to Porcupine Rim, yet another great bike trail. It was the tail end of Jeep Week in Moab. We had to deal with a large contingent of jeepers. Besides the exhaust, they can exhibit some nasty behavior such as opening doors and cutting us off into rocks.

We were lucking up on the weather. The cloud cover was merciful without dropping rain on us.

At a certain point, the jeep trail turns to singletrack, or so the sign says. I couldn't really tell the difference.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #33147
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,298
Awesome photos !!

they can exhibit some nasty behavior such as opening doors and cutting us off into rocks. - that is very disturbing
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #33148
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
If anyone wants to read the full race report from this past weekend at Cohutta100, I posted it on Tumblr.

http://bigring1975.tumblr.com/post/8...the-course-won
Aw man, that sucks. What's the (perceived)benefit from caffeine during an endurance event like that?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #33149
Ridge
Sinister Kid

It offers a few benefits. A few off the top of my head are a decreased sense of perceived exertion between the brain receptors and the neural stimulators of the working muscles, heightened mental acuity after hours and hours in the saddle, some studies have shown caffeine to trick the body's use of glycogen and, instead, using fat as fuel. There might be others but my intent was mostly maintaining focus and mental acuity to offset some of the fatigue.

My problem really stemmed from never having tried one of those energy shots outside of competition to gauge the effects. Combining that oversight with my neglect in hydration ratio just exacerbated everything really quickly. I went downhill fast... literally and mentally. Lesson learned... the hard way and I can guarantee it won't be repeated.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #33150
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
they can exhibit some nasty behavior such as opening doors and cutting us off into rocks.
That is weird. With how tentative (at least from the view point of MN, not on the ground there) their existence there is, you would think they would be super polite.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: