Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #33196
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Well to put my situation into perspective, yesterday was the first time in five years I've brought my cell phone on this century, just in case. Thankfully, I didn't use it until the sag stop at mile 74, when I called the wife and told her to expect me at the start/finish line in 2 hours. Considering my health situation earlier in the week, I was just glad to finish. It all boiled down to proper eating and hydration throughout the ride. Doing it in less time than previous years was icing on the cake. My little brother suffered with a 45 minute sit down session in the porta john at mile 54. He set a new record for slowest personal 3State time at well over 8 hours, which for him is unheard of in this event. We were relieved to see him cross the finish line with his tongue hanging out. His riding buddy Rick crossed the line first after staying up front with George Hincapie the entire ride.
Staying with Big George is pretty cool.Retired or not,climber or not (which he isn't)Those guys ride so Much during their careers it'll make up for a lot. Even the big sprinters go up faster than you might think.

I'm glad you made it though without any major problems, Good job with the time.Your brother really stuck with it.which is great.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #33197
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,826
Got out for a ride just as the day started to heat up.

The usual trail ride. And the construction closures were open both ways?

I guess it's only closed on workweek days?
Nice though. On shore breeze so going down to the Pond, (go Ducks) from the parking lot out east was work. There was a VW meet at the park here at the bottom of the hill. Slack-jawed herds of large bipedal human-types waddling aimlessly across the bike path completely oblivious to any possible hazards. The air was ripe with the smell of raw fuel, and charcoal smoke. An more than concerning combination given the nature of our surroundings. We are in the midst of an epic drought and city folks only notice when the flames are licking at their doors. Zero concept of where it can begin.

But, it was a short piece, of the trail to slow and practice trackstands while the guys on their farting harley's get theat one last text in before waddling off into traffic. Yep, they felt the need to ride the bike path and rev their motors. So, I made certain to ride close to each as I picked my way though getting nervous looks.

Later I caught up to a guy who had ridden Paris-Brest in 2007. we had a short talk before he faded back. I'd turned off the display on my phone so I don't know how fast I was going, but it was too fast I'm sure.
Anyway a good ride. Now I need to go change the rear tire on the KTM, those 908RR's don't seem to just pop on and off rims like a TKC80.
At least it is the hottest part of the day.

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #33198
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Windy as hell today it's bad when you can cruise at 25 and hardly pedal. and of course in to the wind it barely 8-12.But it's nice and warm.

I hit my mileage goal for the week. Too bad I only rode three days instead of six.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #33199
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

My week ended well. This next week is short, as I won't be cycling on Friday thru Sunday. I'll be otherwise occupied.

But, I'll try to be good and get some quality time in with the bicycle. I think I'd like to hit 200 miles/week come June. That might be a bridge too far. We'll see.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 05-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #33200
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Took a n00b out on a ride yesterday. She did OK except for riding in the middle of the road the whole time. Talked to her about that afterwards and she said she was skeered she was gonna run into me and knock me over. Told her that wasn't a concern, she wasn't gonna take me down.

Contrast that to the day before when I went out with a buddy who's a better mtn biker than I am. We rode. We had a great time. I pushed the pace some. He pushed some. No 'training' of n00bs. No mechanical difficulties. Relaxing 'cause I knew I didn't have to worry about him or wait for him.

Its a start anyway

M
Old 05-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #33201
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,823
YTD totals

Good week of riding, about 83 miles last weel. April was almost 300 miles and YTD is just over 1200 miles. That's about 1,000 miles behind the total at this point last year but then again, a year ago today, I ended my 750-mile ride in Texas. Take that out and the totals aren't too far apart. I'm closer to 60 than 50 so I feel pretty good about the totals.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #33202
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

The rules of the road that most cars violate are the simple straight forward ones, like yielding to anything in the crosswalk. As in last Thursday crossing the street because the bike path underpass was still gated and the flooded area have been dry for two days. So, I hit the button, wait for the little walking man to come on, and go, but the Range Rover thinks it's OK to just follow the first car through the right turn into me. I rode around, slow, so he had to stop and hop onto the curb since he'd pulled across the ramp part.
When I got to the park there he was running at about 30 through the RV park back to his RV.
This is a private campground and back when the bikepath was diverted through there, they got real pissy about riding in excess of 15mph.

The deal with riding streets around here is that most drivers seem to be more engaged in their phones than piloting their vehicles. The more expensive the vehicle the less they pay attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Took a n00b out on a ride yesterday. She did OK except for riding in the middle of the road the whole time. Talked to her about that afterwards and she said she was skeered she was gonna run into me and knock me over. Told her that wasn't a concern, she wasn't gonna take me down.

Contrast that to the day before when I went out with a buddy who's a better mtn biker than I am. We rode. We had a great time. I pushed the pace some. He pushed some. No 'training' of n00bs. No mechanical difficulties. Relaxing 'cause I knew I didn't have to worry about him or wait for him.

Its a start anyway

M
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #33203
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Tech question.I see PBK has there Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 Bicycle Cassette - 10 Speed on sale for around $50. My CAAD 10 has ultegra group with
11-28t and 50/34 compact .I'd like to change to 12-30t.Would this be a direct swap with out changing the derailuer or chain length?
Thanks Pat
patsymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #33204
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Hey all,
Quick question.
What are you guys carrying for a tool kit on your road bikes? Looking for something to fit in a small saddlebag.
Thanks!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #33205
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I have some sort of Topeak thing. It separates into two pieces. More stuff than I need.
http://www.rei.com/product/710396/to...-26-multi-tool

Before I go to Iowa I need to see if I need all the crap I carry. It is sort of a hodge-podge of mountain bike and old bicycle tools. Last time I opened the bag, I had one MTB tube and one spent CO2 cylinder. No applicator, no rode tubes and no patches. I was on the roadbike and luckily only looking for change.
I put a couple of tubes and a few quick patches in there. And found the CO2 stuff.

My plan is to check all the usual fasteners and make sure I carry tools for them. Plus a chain tool and quick link. A couple of tubes and patch kits I should be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Hey all,
Quick question.
What are you guys carrying for a tool kit on your road bikes? Looking for something to fit in a small saddlebag.
Thanks!
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 05-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #33206
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Hey all,
Quick question.
Thanks!
For just riding I carry two tubes, tire irons and gas cartridges.

Commuting a full set of allen wrenches(only because they come in a holder),two tubes,tire irons, gas cartridges,and a working pump.

Touring about half the tool box.

Oh and I have a bottle opener on my keyring

I can count on less than one hand the amount of times I've had to call someone to pick me up because of a breakdown.

TheYeti screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 01:13 PM
Old 05-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #33207
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsymack View Post
Tech question.I see PBK has there Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 Bicycle Cassette - 10 Speed on sale for around $50. My CAAD 10 has ultegra group with
11-28t and 50/34 compact .I'd like to change to 12-30t.Would this be a direct swap with out changing the derailuer or chain length?
Thanks Pat
Ask Gummie,But I think 28 is about your max without a new derailleur.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM   #33208
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
For just riding I carry two tubes, tire irons and gas cartridges.

Commuting a full set of allen wrenches(only because they come in a holder),two tubes,tire irons, gas cartridges,and a working pump.

Touring about half the tool box.

Oh and I have a bottle opener on my keyring

I can count on less than one hand the amount of times I've had to call someone to pick me up because of a breakdown.
Yeah, I am a tourist by heart, so I tend to put things in, but never take them out again....

Mostly looking for bare bones.

Any CO2 cartridge systems better than others? I usually carry a pump....
Old 05-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #33209
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Ask Gummie,But I think 28 is about your max without a new derailleur.
On my Ultegra compact with short cage rd, I was able to go from 12-25 to 11-28 without changing the cage, but to go to 30, I think you have to go medium or long-cage.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #33210
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:
Hey all,
Quick question.
Thanks!
Small allen wrench set that matches bolts on the bike, think it's 3 thru 6mm, patch kit, one tube, and a pump. I'm liking the Lyzene pumps right now. I'm not carrying tire levers right now because my tires come off by hand easily enough.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: