Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #33271
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Moab looks cool. Were being chased by dogs?

Rollers:
I gave the set I had away. long time ago. After falling for the final time I decided I didn't need that sort of workout anymore.
I had gotten to the point where I could take my shirt off while riding them. About 5", maybe 6" diameter rollers on plain bearings. These were ultra-cheap Nashbar type rollers. Once I got to the point whereI could ride them for an hour, I could barely get out of the basement after I was so beat. A friend had Kreitler tapered wooden rollers. Those things would spin forever with one flick. He'd ride for a couple hours at a time.
Gave me no end of grief for my lack of hours over the winter. So, one day I let him try mine out on the back patio. He nearly fell off.

After he rode for a bit he said he'd have blown up his heart if he tied to do an hour on those.
I preferred to just go ride in the snow and cold than ride those damned things.

My best fail was while watching that old Miata commercial where they are driving up a twisty road. I leaned into a turn and came off at a good clip. Slid across the floor on both tires full lock, into a pile on the daybed.
Snapped two feet of the thing. But the bedding and pillows cushioned my crash nicely.
Downside was I was I ended up upside down with the bike over me still clipped in. Those Time shoes and pedals did not like to release.
I taught myself to ride rollers in an unfinished basement. Lots of overhead handholds can easily be arranged. Plus nobody can hear your screams.
I used the same basement in the winter to teach my oldest daughter to ride a bicycle too. No training wheels. The youngest daughter managed to center punch the video camera on her maiden ride.

The stupid firewall/protecto-bot won't let me read the race report from here. I guess I'm supposed to be working.
I'll read it from home after my ride tonight.
First time on rollers I watched a show on bobsleigh that had some in-sled shots. Not my wisest decision....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #33272
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,090

Funny as hell
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #33273
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,861
That was funny. About the worst way to start is in the middle of a room.
When he grabbed that two wheeler I was really glad I was drinking water out of a bicycle bottle.
I didn't the sound turned on because I was at work.
I'll run it now for my wife to enjoy on the big screen.

Oh, I got out for a slow windy ride. I'm not all that happy with the display options from my Wahoo or from Strava.
Using these Wahoo sensors.
I may look into the reflect thingy. I suspect they want more of my beer money

I did not die and did not have to resort to the bottom of the stack of dinner plates I carry around on the wheel. But I did use my triple.

If my belly was made out of butter, it's be flat now. Mid 90's when I left. Both bottles of ice and fridge water were warm by 35 minutes out.
I'd say we have the Santa Ana winds blowing pretty good. Heading out I could spin to about 22 mph before I felt a ever so slight breeze on my face. I turned around at the park which was a good thing. 11 mph on the way back was ugly.
None of the Strava studs were out and about.

Pussy's

OK, just watched it on the big screen. M wife's reaction was, "you did that".
One thing rollers do: They teach you to be smooth. And they do that like a nun teaches you not to pick up a pencil with your left hand.
You get whacked when you do it wrong.
Facebook
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 07:34 PM
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #33274
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Thanks for all the, ah, inspiration......

I picked up a set of 4.5" rollers with the headwind fan. They should work for me as I tend to ride for a couple of hours......

I have been playing around and a wall is all I need, I am getting there. It is amazing how sloppy I have gotten.

SO back in the day, the worst I had was watching, I think it was The Fog.... I got startled and totally rode off the rollers. at this point I was comfortable on them so I was in the middle of a room.... It was pretty funny.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:35 AM   #33275
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455

I had rollers for a couple of years, but sold them because I didn't use them enough. I wish I had kept them...

rbrsddn screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 04:25 AM
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #33276
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I had rollers for a couple of years, but sold them because I didn't use them enough. I wish I had kept them...
Sold mine this past winter for the same reason. Bought a pair of Gore Tex winter mtb shoes so I could ride all year. The shoes have gotten much more use than the rollers.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #33277
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Sold mine this past winter for the same reason. Bought a pair of Gore Tex winter mtb shoes so I could ride all year. The shoes have gotten much more use than the rollers.
My winter riding shoes too.

I just sold my Krietlers last fall as they hadn't been ridden on since probably 2005. Loved the idea of them just never got to where I really liked using them although I became proficient on them.
Between a fatbike and a road bike on my Kurt trainer I've got my winter options.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #33278
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Me too. I've had Lake winter shoes for years now, and got some Nokian 294 studded tires in 2007. When the conditions have been right, we have had some seriously good times out there at +-15 F!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 AM   #33279
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Thanks for all the, ah, inspiration......

I picked up a set of 4.5" rollers with the headwind fan. They should work for me as I tend to ride for a couple of hours......

I have been playing around and a wall is all I need, I am getting there. It is amazing how sloppy I have gotten.

SO back in the day, the worst I had was watching, I think it was The Fog.... I got startled and totally rode off the rollers. at this point I was comfortable on them so I was in the middle of a room.... It was pretty funny.
I'm still a wall hugger,The Cheap nashbar 3.75" rollers don't spin up as fast as I need them to for me to get the other foot in.I like them because you've got to pay attention,unlike a trainer.This guy is pretty good and something to aspire to do
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 04-30-2014 at 10:04 AM
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #33280
mud
I just wander.....

I wish I could say I won't use mine..... Being a stay at home dad I get VERY little riding in during the summer (other than following the girls, they are 6 and 8). If I don't ride my rollers I will be WAY out of shape next fall and winter. It is weird to think I got out more this last winter with some brutal temps (lots of below zero riding days), than I will when it is 80 and sunny.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #33281
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

When I was a stay at home dad, my oldest daughter was newborn to 9 months. I got out riding after about three months since by then I could go visit the grandmas with her during the week. I'd stop by, and they got to play with the new baby, then nap time, and I'd hit the road for a quick hour.
Though usually I just stayed at home, didn't ride and worked landscaping the backyard by hand. I managed to keep fairly fit by having dinner ready for my wife when she got home from work once the time changed and I'd go get some riding in. I also had some trusted sitters I'd use during the day three times a week for longer workouts.
By the next Fall, I was back to school full time and working part time. My fitness would falter during the school year and pick up come summer when I was only working twelve hour days, and five days a week.
There was a point when the girls were the right ages that I'd put them in the trailer and tow them up and down Vail Pass on the bike path. That was a workout.
Once did that with three little kids in a big Burley trailer. This was back when we thought a 32 was a big plate out back.
The youngest got her own bicycle once she got to telling me to "Go faster boy!"
They both would ride quite a bit with us since we were lucky to have a good trail two blocks from the house that could be ridden to the beach at a lake about 6 miles away. Ice cream on the way back got them to do it. Once took several neighborhood kids along. Nobody else in the hood was a cyclist or even had an adult bike.
So, my wife and I herded a half dozen little girls to the beach and back. Me, fixing as many flats along the way. Goat's head thorns suck!
I had installed pink knobbies on the trailer with Mister Tuffy Tire Liners as well as on all the bikes in our stable.
The neighborhood kids did not have that, so I got to fix flats.I let each kid with a flat help so they would learn how their bikes worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I wish I could say I won't use mine..... Being a stay at home dad I get VERY little riding in during the summer (other than following the girls, they are 6 and 8). If I don't ride my rollers I will be WAY out of shape next fall and winter. It is weird to think I got out more this last winter with some brutal temps (lots of below zero riding days), than I will when it is 80 and sunny.
Facebook
Smugmug
Old 04-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #33282
mud
I just wander.....

Just did about an hour on the rollers..... Went through the gears twice up and down for a minute each. Only rode off twice and didn't bump the wall too much after the first ten minutes or so.

Funny how hard it gets to stay on when you are getting tired.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #33283
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
About the most I'll do is diluted Coke or Dew in a bottle.
One of my favorite mid- big ride snacks is a mtn dew and a snickers. Sugar, caffeine, and some protein.

Its rained very hard here for the last 2 days. Nothing like a little further south, but enough that I didn't feel like riding.

So I've been sitting on my keister, reading. Calling this a 'rest week.' Training's gotta start here in May to get strong for CX season in the fall.

M
Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #33284
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,722
I usually pop 2 Shot Bloks w/ caffeine every 15mi if I'm doing more than 45mi. Seems to help a bit.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #33285
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I got out for another ride after work this afternoon.
We have Santa Ana winds. Big winds for here. Blows me around quite a lot on the motorcycle. Heading out I could spin the middle ring to the second to outside cog.
Hitting 27 mph! And no wind in my face.

They had the bike path shut east of the camp ground so I only got a little warm up before spinning my brains out with that huge tail wind.
The way back was brutal as I expected. There is construction on the west as well so I turned there and came back. On the way out after the eesses there is a series of humps. I was all but getting air off those.
The ride back of course into the wind was hot and I was down on the triple. A times I could only manage about 7 mph.
I stopped a the park to get more water, and it was closed due to high winds. With no alternate for water, I crossed the barricade and filled both bottles.

Of course at the crosswalk light a guy in a lifted 4x4 ran the red very late, and he was on his phone so running down a cyclist and an old one at that would be justified in his mind.
Fuckwits.
On Sunday there was a mom and a little kid waiting to cross. The little boy wanted to push the light button, so I helped him. It takes a good bit of force, so I had to push it after him.
A dipshit on a lick-n-stick chopper with straight pipes ran the red. I put my bike between the kid/mom and the street, just to keep them on the sidewalk, for this event. Yes, there was that much time, thanks to the mind-bogglingly- glacial nature of the acceleration of the H-D powered POS.
Yet more fuckwits.
I should probably start wearing that GoPro and record that crossing. Just in case it comes out, I could send it to the CHP.

Anyway I didn't die, and my body doesn't really feel any worse for the effort. Muscles are tired. Calves tried to cramp on the way home, but I resisted that.
I'll eat that last rotting banana before bed.
Time to hydrate and get some actual food in me.
Facebook
Smugmug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: