Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 519 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #33271
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Just picked up this bad boy. Don't know the specs but had a friend confirm it's a good road bike for 800 bucks. I'm just getting into this.

Your "friend" lied to you. That's a triathlon bike, not a road bike. However, the price seems good.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #33272
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Wait what? its not a true Tri bike. The seat can be moved forward to use it for Tri's. I took it to the local bike shop to get fitted on it and no one said it was a tri bike.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #33273
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,963
Maybe "technically" an aero-road bike... but if anyone asked me, I'd tell 'em it's a tri bike.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #33274
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Ok well tell me the downfalls of this then? The bike fits me good and I'm a noob at this. From what I was told you can move the seat forward to the other position and use it as a tri bike.

Anyways please let me know of and major draw backs you see by using this.

Parx400 screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 10:41 AM
Old 05-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #33275
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,839
If it fits you, ride it for a whille and see if bicycling is really something you want to do. If it is, then spend a couple grand + on a "real" road bike. Be careful, upgradeitis is contagious!!!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #33276
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Ok well tell me the downfalls of this then? The bike fits me good and I'm a noob at this. From what I was told you can move the seat forward to the other position and use it as a tri bike.

An aero-road has a bit of compromised geometry compared to a traditional road bike. It's trying to do well at two things (aero and road) but sacrifices have to be made somewhere in order to accommodate both. This is usually evident in head tube angles, top tube geometry and reach/stack heights. It's probably going to be a very stiff frame and not very forgiving should the road conditions degrade. With that horizontal top tube and those deep drops, I'd suggest investing in some comfort items that will lessen some of the harsh ride. Carbon bars (maybe with gel under the wrap), I would say add a carbon seat post with a shock-absorbing insert but that doesn't look to be possible with the aero post from Kestrel.

At any rate, ride it for awhile and make it your own until you form your own opinions about it. We're just talking heads on a message board that are seeing things in one dimension only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
If it fits you, ride it for a whille and see if bicycling is really something you want to do. If it is, then spend a couple grand + on a "real" road bike. Be careful, upgradeitis is contagious!!!
Good advice.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #33277
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 902
Quote:

Drawbacks - none, go ride and have fun.

Geometry from what I saw on bikes direct isn't anything funky so it should handle fine. Now if it had aero bars and bar end shifters that'd be a different story but it's set up for road.
Biggest hurdle with used for a first bike is fit and it sounds like you've already cleared that one.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #33278
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,795
Quote:
Wait what? its not a true Tri bike. The seat can be moved forward to use it for Tri's. I took it to the local bike shop to get fitted on it and no one said it was a tri bike.
It's no more a Tri-bike than my Specialized Venge is. These are just the latest crop of 'aero-frame' road bikes. Below is an actual Tri-bike, the Specialized Shiv:

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.

Aurelius screwed with this post 05-12-2014 at 11:17 AM
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #33279
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks everyone.

I'm getting into this because I'm tired of running. I just wont push my self hard enough and don't enjoy it that much. I live right by the river trail in sac so I have a 32 mile 1 direction trail to play with. I have one 1 ride on it so far but really enjoyed it.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #33280
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
Good, that's all that matters. And ditto on geometry. Looks more like a aero road frame to me. Putting aero bars on a road bike is a poor compromise, too, so I'd avoid doing that if that's the direction you want to go.

Miss your Dakar, Parx? I'm getting a ton of saddle time on mine for the first time in a while. Feels great!
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #33281
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
Back on it today. I've diddled with the mountain bike just a couple hundred miles a year these last few years. Took a short (10 mi) spin on the Vitus today. Going for four digits in the all surface miles this year.

You know it's been a while when the first thing you have to do, before anything else, is lubricate the pump leather.

Felt good! The legs kinda remember this circle thing. I recall sitting more 'in' the bike before. Nothing's been moved on the bike, but felt more like I was 'on' it, if that makes any sense.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #33282
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

I'm getting into this because I'm tired of running. I just wont push my self hard enough and don't enjoy it that much. I live right by the river trail in sac so I have a 32 mile 1 direction trail to play with. I have one 1 ride on it so far but really enjoyed it.

I haven't seen a Kestrel since the eighties except for guy riding an old one on the Tues night rides.I didn't know they still made bikes. I guess they are pretty popular in the Tri world,But they make what they call an Aero road bike,which I guessing this is. Like Ridge said it probably won't be as compliant as a regular road bike.Have fun ride the bike be a kid again.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #33283
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
I like Bike Tires Direct. I'm a big guy and they carry my size in a couple different brands.

Castelli has a slimmer fit BTD carrys up to3X which is my size in their brand. I love em they are comfortable and last a long time.
I like Boure cycle wear, I am a large rider and they have up to 3x.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #33284
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvridgerider View Post
I like Boure cycle wear, I am a large rider and they have up to 3x.
Boure.com
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #33285
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
I haven't seen a Kestrel since the eighties except for guy riding an old one on the Tues night rides.I didn't know they still made bikes. I guess they are pretty popular in the Tri world,But they make what they call an Aero road bike,which I guessing this is. Like Ridge said it probably won't be as compliant as a regular road bike.Have fun ride the bike be a kid again.
They're sold on http://bikesdirect.com/ - that tells me that they exist in brand only.... a mere shell of the former company. That doesn't make this bike a bad one though - it's now another mass-produced bike like a million others out of Taiwan. Again, that's not to criticise the bike itself. It looks very, very aero, competent and.... twitchy!
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: