User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 AM   #3331
Bonneville54
I am the World

Oddometer: 414
I can't believe I missed this thread. Love all the comments about hills and wind.....and Knary, kudos to you and your wife! Very cool.

I'm an old touring guy. Rode across the country - Astoria, OR to Virginia Beach, VA in 1976, fresh out of college, no job, no worries...on a modified Peugeot PX10. Loved every second of it.

I'm the one on the right

Wind? Try Kansas, Hills? Not the Cascades or the Rockies, the Appalachians were tougher. They didn't grade them, straight up and straight down.

I ride a LeMond Zurich now...(one of the old steel models) with my kids now. In fact, my youngest just turned 16 and rather than a car I bought him this...

Carbon everything, light as a feather

Although I've never raced, I admire the heck out of those guys. One of the reasons I moved to Nevada County was the race held every Fathers Day here.

http://www.ncclassic.com/

Thanks for the thread all!
Bonneville54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #3332
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
I love hills.
The challenge. The frustration. The anger at a fucking hill. I love it. I love the reward on the other side even more. zooooshhh

I love trying to be the first one up, and when I'm not, being the first one down. The twiggy kids can't cut through the wind like a 180 pounder. And then my 235 pound friend is the cannonball, but he lacks the nerve of a motorcyclist used to higher speeds who can too easily forget that spandex offers no protection. zooooshhh

I love hills.
I wish I had hills to ride. When I go to an area that has some elevation change I sure do enjoy it.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #3333
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
I wish I had hills to ride. When I go to an area that has some elevation change I sure do enjoy it.
I wrote this earlier in this thread...

Quote:
You might remember that last year I rode in the El Tour de Tucson, the 109 mile bicycle 'ride' (or semi-casual race depending on your POV). I did it through Team in Training (TnT) as did nearly half the other 8,500(?) participants. Each group of riders wore the standard fugly TnT jersey but each had the participants location printed on the back. On the flat stretches, I distinctly remember a large pack of TnT riders from Kansas riding by at high speed. They seemed fast and invincible. Then came a hill. A tiny hill. Nothing that we'd even mention up here. And there I was zipping right by those same riders from Kansas. You can guess who passed who on the next flat stretch.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #3334
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker
Funny, I rode all day yesterday with a flat rear after a shop owner refused to let me change the tube I just bought at his shop. I'd rather ride a flat than give that asshole my business ever again.

Gummee: never go to Single Track Bikes.
That the one just down the hill from the Hospital?

I haven't been in but two LBSs in Flag. That one and the one at the corner of 66 and 4th. Neither have been what I'd call 'awesome.'

M
Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #3335
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneville54
I can't believe I missed this thread. Love all the comments about hills and wind.....and Knary, kudos to you and your wife! Very cool.

I'm an old touring guy. Rode across the country - Astoria, OR to Virginia Beach, VA in 1976, fresh out of college, no job, no worries...on a modified Peugeot PX10. Loved every second of it.

I'm the one on the right

Wind? Try Kansas, Hills? Not the Cascades or the Rockies, the Appalachians were tougher. They didn't grade them, straight up and straight down.

I ride a LeMond Zurich now...(one of the old steel models) with my kids now. In fact, my youngest just turned 16 and rather than a car I bought him this...

Carbon everything, light as a feather

Although I've never raced, I admire the heck out of those guys. One of the reasons I moved to Nevada County was the race held every Fathers Day here.

Beautiful.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 AM   #3336
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Hey Bonneville54

Welcome to the thread.

Post more pics!

M
Old 03-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #3337
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonneville54

I'm the one on the right

Welcome to it!!!

let's hear some crazy cross country stories, must've been wierd with how few bike shops and support for the sport were available back in those days. You probably avoided quite a few malls and such that have sprouted in the last 20 yrs, probably caught the country right before it became a Walmart Home Depot strip.

I love reading these types of stories in this thread, nothing against the racers here, but I'm more into the these non race stories, especially any long tours like yours.

picture's too!

PS -you didn't happen to pass Forest Gump back there did ya?

Zodiac screwed with this post 03-28-2007 at 09:46 AM
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 AM   #3338
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I love hills.
The challenge. The frustration. The anger at a fucking hill. I love it. I love the reward on the other side even more. zooooshhh

I love trying to be the first one up, and when I'm not, being the first one down. The twiggy kids can't cut through the wind like a 180 pounder. And then my 235 pound friend is the cannonball, but he lacks the nerve of a motorcyclist used to higher speeds who can too easily forget that spandex offers no protection. zooooshhh

I love hills.
That's prolly 'cause you can't sprint!

M
Old 03-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #3339
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
That's prolly 'cause you can't sprint!

M
Hah
Probably true. I'm no racer, just a recreational wannabe faster than some slower than many. So when do you sprint when every ride has hills?

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #3340
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Hah
Probably true. I'm no racer, just a recreational wannabe faster than some slower than many. So when do you sprint when every ride has hills?
The cool thing about sprints is that you can do um up hills, down hills and on the flats. Headwinds, crosswind, and tailwinds too.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #3341
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700
The cool thing about sprints is that you can do um up hills, down hills and on the flats. Headwinds, crosswind, and tailwinds too.

And in a group.

Alone.

With teammates.

To town limit signs.

To the finish line (rare for me, but hey! its fun)

From the back of a paceline just to screw with people! (fun stuff. Been on BOTH ends of this one! )

Hills? Feh! Ya gotta GET to hills! Sprints you can do anwhere!

As an added bonus, add sprints to yer workout and you get FASTER! Ditto with intervals, but we won't talk about them... If you wanna be a one-speed-wonder keep on JRA-ing. Wanna get faster, more well-rounded a rider? Add in sprints and sometimes intervals.

M
Old 03-28-2007, 09:47 AM   #3342
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700

Very true. I just don't have any measure of whether I'm any good at it.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 03-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #3343
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
And in a group.

Alone.

With teammates.

To town limit signs.

To the finish line (rare for me, but hey! its fun)

From the back of a paceline just to screw with people! (fun stuff. Been on BOTH ends of this one! )

Hills? Feh! Ya gotta GET to hills! Sprints you can do anwhere!

As an added bonus, add sprints to yer workout and you get FASTER! Ditto with intervals, but we won't talk about them... If you wanna be a one-speed-wonder keep on JRA-ing. Wanna get faster, more well-rounded a rider? Add in sprints and sometimes intervals.

M
I do those sprints. You know how your dog sometimes just starts tearing around the yard back and forth? That's me on the bike.

p.s. you don't have to get to hills in these parts. With my wife's entry into riding, I'm struggling to pick routes that don't include them.

p.p.s. Hills make you stronger.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 03-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #3344
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I do those sprints. You know how your dog sometimes just starts tearing around the yard back and forth? That's me on the bike.

p.s. you don't have to get to hills in these parts. With my wife's entry into riding, I'm struggling to pick routes that don't include them.

p.p.s. Hills make you stronger.
Feh. Been allergic to hills since I started riding!

Even at 155# I sucked Misery Goats at hills!

I tell people that if I never have to climb a hill bigger'n the banking at the velodrome I'll be a happy camper. Some even believe me. Most don't.

M
Crit/track racer
Old 03-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #3345
knary
sunshine and puppies

where some of the fun is

Goodbye Toolfan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: