Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 504 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #33451
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Oh, make no mistake, I'm no racer. I'm a middle aged fat guy who gets bored on the exercise bike and fluid trainer during the winter. Is this thing worth $750 to keep me entertained enough to use it?
For 750 bucks if it's in good shape and works you could turn it around for at least that on Ebay if you decide it's not for you.
I'd say go for it
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #33452
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
For 750 bucks if it's in good shape and works you could turn it around for at least that on Ebay if you decide it's not for you.
I'd say go for it
thanks.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #33453
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMC View Post
I'd say go for it
What he said.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #33454
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,828
Got home late after attempting to leave early.
As I was getting geared up at the bike a friend I had not seen in a few months came by. We stood in the shade for more than an hour taking motorcycles and bikes. Good stuff, but that made traffic horrible, so my commute was worse than usual. I got home about 6 PM.
So the wife and I took a walk.

The cool breeze that would have been a headwind was welcome. Humid out in the sun out of the breeze.
I'll give tonight a try for a ride.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #33455
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Got home late after attempting to leave early.
As I was getting geared up at the bike a friend I had not seen in a few months came by. We stood in the shade for more than an hour taking motorcycles and bikes. Good stuff, but that made traffic horrible, so my commute was worse than usual. I got home about 6 PM.
So the wife and I took a walk.

The cool breeze that would have been a headwind was welcome. Humid out in the sun out of the breeze.
I'll give tonight a try for a ride.
THe last two days here have been in the 107-108F range. I've gotten up at 0430 for a quick 10-12 mile ride or so before going to work. As much as I hate getting up early, I sure enjoy the relative serenity of early morning rides. There's less traffic, everything feels "right with world" and it's much cooler.

As we move into summer, it's also the only option.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #33456
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
THe last two days here have been in the 107-108F range. I've gotten up at 0430 for a quick 10-12 mile ride or so before going to work. As much as I hate getting up early, I sure enjoy the relative serenity of early morning rides. There's less traffic, everything feels "right with world" and it's much cooler.

I really like heading out the door before the rest of the world wakes up. Unfortunately, most rides with my wife start after most folks have headed out to do some errands.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #33457
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I remember that weather from last year when I was working in North Phoenix. I'd run after work the three mile loop around the hotel. I'd use up my big bottle on that run so started using the two liter camelbak.
The area was way too busy with nearly completely oblivious "drivers" to make even wee hours cycling possible. But, I was heading into the office at 5:30 so that would have been really dark riding.
At least it was dry. Nose bleeding dry.

I ordered the RFLKT+ over the weekend. They shipped it. USPS says it left someplace up north, but gives zero indication of when it might arrive at my box. Information, just not really useful.
Quote:
The last two days here have been in the 107-108F range. I've gotten up at 0430 for a quick 10-12 mile ride or so before going to work. As much as I hate getting up early, I sure enjoy the relative serenity of early morning rides. There's less traffic, everything feels "right with world" and it's much cooler.

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 05-29-2014, 12:58 PM   #33458
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 19,835
Quote:
I remember that weather from last year when I was working in North Phoenix. I'd run after work the three mile loop around the hotel. I'd use up my big bottle on that run so started using the two liter camelbak.
The area was way too busy with nearly completely oblivious "drivers" to make even wee hours cycling possible. But, I was heading into the office at 5:30 so that would have been really dark riding.
My wife is adamant about my not cycling to work - the number of accidents during drive time between cars & cyclists or cars and motorcyclists is astounding. I'm also more picky than I used to be about where I cycle depending on the time of day and which way traffic is flowing. There's also sunrise/sunset to consider since most of our roads run dead on east-west which makes riding (and driving for that matter) a real challenge.

As bad as all that may sound, it's literally second-nature and doesn't hamper me at all.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #33459
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I was at Happy Valley and the 17, near that "Town Center". Quite the cluster there. The roundabouts at either end of the overpass were a muddle to all it seems. One guy in a monster truck was coming hard on me when I was coming back from getting a pizza up by the Safeway and this guy is riding my back as we go into the west side circle. I exit to the overpass and hammer the throttle of the rental car, checking my six. All I see is ballcap where the guy's face would be. He's playing with his phone on his lap.
Goes straight into the circle on the east side.
Kinda didn't so his wheels any good.
I'm glad I didn't have to yield to anybody coming around.
The guy who had launched from the offramp of the NB freeway just got stopped as the truck crashed and bounced across the "traffic furniture". That pretty much took the flame out of any ideas I had of riding that direction. All but no shoulder and zero lane for a bike.
That part of town had a lot of imported workers at Honeywell who may or may not have had working knowledge of traffic controls, and the locals were zero help. Drop a good helping of tourists on top and you got a great rush hour mix. I would walk over to a restaurant for dinner, another pizza place and I could have a beer or two because I was walking. Twice I had to avoid cars and once a truck driving on the sidewalks.
I liked being out there well enough, though traffic was nuts, and no lane splitting so that could make a guy crazy.
The hot parts I got to enjoy and have "enjoyed" in the past. I used to frequently ride to Phoenix and Tucson from LA on the motorcycle back in the day and even in the summer a few times from Denver way, way back in the day.

Lots of very lost people coupled with pretty much everybody using a cell/smart phone for something rather than driving. No app for that.
I did a little exploring, but gave up and just ran on the sidewalks. Nobody was out but a few ground squirrels and snakes.
I used to be pretty savvy in Colorado, but since moving out here so long ago and spending so much time on the path, I feel a little uncomfortable on the streets during the week. Weekends the traffic is mostly on the freeways and around shopping malls. As long as I stay away from that I am fine.

Quote:
My wife is adamant about my not cycling to work - the number of accidents during drive time between cars & cyclists or cars and motorcyclists is astounding. I'm also more picky than I used to be about where I cycle depending on the time of day and which way traffic is flowing. There's also sunrise/sunset to consider since most of our roads run dead on east-west which makes riding (and driving for that matter) a real challenge.

As bad as all that may sound, it's literally second-nature and doesn't hamper me at all.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 AM   #33460
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I used to visit my grandparents when they were living in Tucson, and I remember how incredibly hot it could get. I was always worried that while out hiking alone, I might succumb to the heat, and all that would be left of me by nightfall would be a mummified corpse. I saw people ride their mountain bikes way out in the desert and couldn't help but wonder how many of them would make it back.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:58 AM   #33461
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,820
More rain

Still sick

M
Old 05-30-2014, 06:03 AM   #33462
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

How to make a bicycle

How a Bicycle is Made (1945) from British Council Film on Vimeo.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #33463
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Got out last night for a ride. The west wind was tough.

I'll rest tonight and get a longer ride in on Saturday. No knee pain, and this morning at least my back is better.
I've finally gotten to the last notch in my belt. At the good end.
A few more weeks maybe I can retire this belt.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 05-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #33464
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

My wife and I left Tucson one summer mid-morning when the digital temperture display at the post office showed 130F.
We were on the Norton.
The frozen solid Nalgene bottles in the Vetter fairing were too hot to drink halfway to Gila Bend. We stopped there at a motel and drank a couple of pitchers of iced tea nd had bowls of ice cream. We saw no other motorcyclists there.
Later up at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, we camped with a couple touring on an old R69S. They were from Boston and had been out for four weeks and had two weeks left. He'd had the bike serviced but it was dumping oil on his boot. The mechanic had left a piece of valve cover gasket on the lower front of the cylinder. I fixed that for him, then taught him how to start an old motorcycle.
I'd managed to wind film into my camera but the track tore as they were want to do at the very start so all the photos I took and those sunrise shots over the canyon exist only in our minds.
Fun hot ride though.
When we got to Mesa Verde my wife and I were the only tent in the entire campground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I used to visit my grandparents when they were living in Tucson, and I remember how incredibly hot it could get. I was always worried that while out hiking alone, I might succumb to the heat, and all that would be left of me by nightfall would be a mummified corpse. I saw people ride their mountain bikes way out in the desert and couldn't help but wonder how many of them would make it back.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 05-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #33465
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,159
Few days ago I did 20 miles as my second ride of the year. Sit bones are not hurting after the second ride. Going out again today.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: