User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #33451
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 716
Don't laugh - I have been on a Trek 930 for over 20 years, done centuries (even a double century) and multi day rides on it. I can bomb down Market St from Twin Peaks over 50 mph on that thing.

But... I am getting old. I signed up for Cycle Oregon and want something that is better for climbing hills. A friend at a local bike shop called me when the shop bought this to sell as used inventory, for $185 (friend/homey price).

Just taking it out for a test ride wearing motorcycle boots and two pairs of pants -- I was impressed. It's the right size for me, got new seat and some other goodies on it and finally - 3 weeks after bringing it home - took it for a ride for the first time:

I've always admired those cyclists powering up the hills in Berkeley & Oakland, and now with this bike, I feel like I can be one of them!

http://app.strava.com/activities/142843506

25 mi, 2500' of climbing in 2:12" -- Cycle Oregon promises twice that in a day, so if I keep doing this and maybe hit Redwood Rd to Skyline after work several nights a week for some climbing practice, I might be ok come September.

That is - on top of my usual 22-35 mpw running, 7-10 mpw swimming, climbing 3-4x/week ... yoga, trx and weights. I'm going to have to change my workout routine for more leg strengthening -- maybe evening ride up Redwood to Skyline followed by squats/lunges 2-3x/week.

Any thoughts on training?

My friend who is also doing Cycle Oregon pooh-poos the hybrid, but I figure this will get me out there and at least the gears are set up for climbing (not so much my Trek 930).
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #33452
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I got out for another ride after breakfast of Scottish oats and watching MotoGP morning warm up then the race.
Which meant a late start.
So, I decided to skip heading east first to get out and back.
Today I sped past the park. OK, slogged past the park. I was on my own and beginning to feel that headwind. Lots of work but every little bit there would be another rabbit to chase.
Very hard to re-train an old dog.

Anyway I get into the esses and a CX guy rides up to me. We talk a bit, he has come down from Pomona area and already been down to the coast and back up Carbon canyon now he is heading down to Tustin to head back up Carbon Canyon and home.
I'm guessing a good deal more than 100 miles with plenty of climbing when heading east up that canyon.
So I can just about ride with him. He is soft pedaling a lot so that holds me on his wheel.
We get to a shut barricade at the park and people are riding around it so I take to the bare dirt and ride around the fence. Everybody else walks. The area is a couple feet wide and rocks down the bank on one side to the river and the fence on the other. Easy.

The CX guy dismounts too.

Then as I get close to the dirt I ride across yesterday I'm catching up to my last rabbit. This guy dismounts as well. I shift down, pick a line and ride across out of the saddle. And to make the turn back onto the path I grab a good handful of two fingers worth of rear brake, kick the bike sideways to square off the turn, a little slide and I'm up and onto the path pedaling away.
I'm twelve again! On my old 26" wheeled JC Penney coaster brake and tank horn and lights bike. Two D-cell batteries powered the electrics.
My brother and I and our friends used to ride a dirt oval over in a field. I got pretty good at grabbing a little rear brake and tossing the bike sideways and pedaling around that track.
These things are time machines.
Then there is a real barricade, so I am forced to turn around and ride back across the dirt. Again. This time with a larger audience who all look at me like I'm crazy.
CX guy and a few others head back east to the first barricade and I take the park sidewalk figuring I'll fill my water.
Nope. The fountain is turned off.
So down the road. Once back on the trail I figure I'll ride to the Santa Ana Fill station and fill up there. But as I get about there I notice it is just a bit more than 19 miles at that point. I ride a little further down the path to just about the old rail bridge and turn back for the fill park. I stop and re-fill my bottle there and I've had one chomp on the way, and grab another while I'm there. I'd decided at about the Pond I wasn't going to make it to the beach today. The legs are protesting a bit. The ride back I've got that little tail wind crossing and re-crossing me, and somewhat pushing me home. At the park I stop for water, and a rest and inhale a GU packet. Drink one whole bottle, re-fill, drink half and re-fill again. Then I leave.
The heat and effort are getting to me. I'm down into survival mode by the time I ride up the hill over the tracks on the last climb home.
Not 40, but a good workout. I will know when I get home tomorrow afternoon if I'll ride then. Right now the legs are a bit flat.
Awesome report! Love the Time Machine comment and so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ray View Post
https://www.strava.com/activities/142767933

Did that loop today. It was killer. About 27 miles and a pretty nice day given that there was a 100% chance of rain.

Went tubeless and rolled the front tire off the rim. What pressures do we run? I had 40ish.
Love the pics with the tallboys. Great choice of beer btw! One of my favorites.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #33453
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:

Did that loop today. It was killer. About 27 miles and a pretty nice day given that there was a 100% chance of rain.

Went tubeless and rolled the front tire off the rim. What pressures do we run? I had 40ish.
Nice job Ray. Yikes man, 40 seems a bit on the high side , especially the front. I usually run 23-25 front with 30-35 in the rear, but I'm down to a svelte 195lbs.:loll Did you give the tires enough time to properly setup on the rims before riding on them (more than a few hours)?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #33454
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Oddometer: 506
Latigo Mullholland Again

After 10 or so months of no riding this is the second week of Latigo Mulholland rides.

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #33455
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Yes, that whole training thing pays off big time on these things. I've beat myself on those types of rides before. Hurts.
Problem now is trying to do it effectively. I'm pushing 45 with an exuberant 3yo boy in the house...
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:40 AM   #33456
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:

Nice!

What tire, rim, and sealant are you running? I've ran as low as the high teens without issue on a UST tire and rim. I weight 170lbs. 40lbs is high for a tubeless setup as well.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:58 AM   #33457
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,582
Quote:

I'm running 28/30* in my tubeless 27.5 setup. There's something wrong in yours...

I was right. My buddy B tried to kill me again last nite. Too bad for him he was 'smoked' from racing the day before. He still put a major hurtin on me on the hills (did I mention I'm allergic to hills? ) but since my legs were feelin pretty good, I managed to just about keep up most places. New first for me. He's usually WAY ahead of me on the hills.

...course, he's go no concept of 'holding something back' when it comes to riding. With him, its A. always a race, and B. (at least on the hills) always all-out.

Had a good time regardless. I needed the hills. As much as I hate em, they need to be ridden.

I'm trying to talk him into heading down to Devil's Backbone next weekend for a gravel loop. He'll HAVE to wait for me then! *I'm* the one of us that knows the route!

M

* ft/rr at 170-ish
Old 05-19-2014, 04:59 AM   #33458
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,030
Quote:
Why so high? I run tubless and never go above 25 psi.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:15 AM   #33459
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

I'm trying to talk him into heading down to Devil's Backbone next weekend for a gravel loop. He'll HAVE to wait for me then! *I'm* the one of us that knows the route!

M

* ft/rr at 170-ish
And you want to ride it again with me in June? You are a glutton for punishment.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:19 AM   #33460
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
And you want to ride it again with me in June? You are a glutton for punishment.
Short loop this time.

Long loop with you.

...and AFAI can tell, Hilly Billy is harder, so I need the hills/miles.

NSFW (language)

M
Old 05-19-2014, 05:56 AM   #33461
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Nice job Ray. Yikes man, 40 seems a bit on the high side , especially the front. I usually run 23-25 front with 30-35 in the rear, but I'm down to a svelte 195lbs.:loll Did you give the tires enough time to properly setup on the rims before riding on them (more than a few hours)?
I weigh about 265. I used Stans sealant. I let it set up overnight before use. It has been cold+wet here? If I ran 25-35 psi I'd be running flat tires around the hills.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #33462
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Put together my first bike this weekend

This Saturday I headed over to my friend's shop to attempt something I've never done before: strip the components off an existing road bike down to the bare frame, and transplant the parts to a new frame. I have absolutely NO experience working on bicycles, so to ensure I didn't completely screw it up, I made sure a shop tech was nearby at all times.

Stripping down the old bike was easy. Anyone can do it, providing you have the right tools. I think I had the whole thing done in about an hour.

Assembling the new frame took four times as long, the trickiest part being installing the new cables. I wrongly assumed that the brake and derailleur cables were interchangeable, so I didn't pay close attention during disassembly. Turns out they have completely different ends. Routing the cables through the new frame was a fairly straightforward procedure since new frames come with cable guides installed. I have no idea how I would have done it otherwise.

The start:

Finished!:

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #33463
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
I weigh about 265. I used Stans sealant. I let it set up overnight before use. It has been cold+wet here? If I ran 25-35 psi I'd be running flat tires around the hills.
I usually let a newly mounted tubeless with fresh sealant set-up for a few days before putting it through its paces. I make sure the bead is completely sealed and I'll look like a fool in the garage twirling the tire/rim around just after putting sealant in to make sure I have even coverage. It will air down once, maybe twice before everything seals up tight. I use Gorilla tape to seal the rim and Stan's valves. Have been historically using Stan's sealant but will make a switch to Orange Seal next round.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #33464
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,566
Pretty!
I like the colour scheme. Fun huh?
When I got out of college I was working part time as a BMW motorcycle mechanic and interviewing part time and being a stay-at-home dad.
An uncle had bought a half dozen bikes at yard sales and wanted to refurbish all of them.
Yeah only one of them was really worthy of the effort, but I had the time and knew how and even more importantly we had a great little shop where we could get all that middle level kit to fix stuff like this.
One of the bikes had a beat wheel. Steel dimpled rim and pressed together hub. The shop made us a great deal on a replacement wheel.
I think it cost less than $100 in parts to bring all the bikes to better than new condition. Meaning everything was adjusted and worked. We got bulk coils of housing and a box of bar tape. OF course they all needed rim strips, tires and tubes.
In the mix of department store bikes was one Raleigh 3-speed that was made in England, still had all the decals in good shape and got a good load of attention to bring it to perfect.
I changed every bearing from caged to free, and matched all of the bearing sets, (all the rolling elements, i.e. balls were sized to within 0.0005 inch of each other.) I had time.
It was certainly an experience but after rebuilding motorcycle transmissions held little challenge other than doing it all on the cheap.

This Roubaix I bought is the first bike I've owned that I didn't have a hand in building from the frame up since forever. Leaves a guy feeling like there is some mystery to it. Building it up from pieces lets you uncover the secrets and it becomes yours as well as I think part of you.
Good fun huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
This Saturday I headed over to my friend's shop to attempt something I've never done before: strip the components off an existing road bike down to the bare frame, and transplant the parts to a new frame. I have absolutely NO experience working on bicycles, so to ensure I didn't completely screw it up, I made sure a shop tech was nearby at all times.

Stripping down the old bike was easy. Anyone can do it, providing you have the right tools. I think I had the whole thing done in about an hour.

Assembling the new frame took four times as long, the trickiest part being installing the new cables. I wrongly assumed that the brake and derailleur cables were interchangeable, so I didn't pay close attention during disassembly. Turns out they have completely different ends. Routing the cables through the new frame was a fairly straightforward procedure since new frames come with cable guides installed. I have no idea how I would have done it otherwise.

The start:

Finished!:

Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #33465
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Pretty!
I like the colour scheme. Fun huh?
When I got out of college I was working part time as a BMW motorcycle mechanic and interviewing part time and being a stay-at-home dad.
An uncle had bought a half dozen bikes at yard sales and wanted to refurbish all of them.
Yeah only one of them was really worthy of the effort, but I had the time and knew how and even more importantly we had a great little shop where we could get all that middle level kit to fix stuff like this.
One of the bikes had a beat wheel. Steel dimpled rim and pressed together hub. The shop made us a great deal on a replacement wheel.
I think it cost less than $100 in parts to bring all the bikes to better than new condition. Meaning everything was adjusted and worked. We got bulk coils of housing and a box of bar tape. OF course they all needed rim strips, tires and tubes.
In the mix of department store bikes was one Raleigh 3-speed that was made in England, still had all the decals in good shape and got a good load of attention to bring it to perfect.
I changed every bearing from caged to free, and matched all of the bearing sets, (all the rolling elements, i.e. balls were sized to within 0.0005 inch of each other.) I had time.
It was certainly an experience but after rebuilding motorcycle transmissions held little challenge other than doing it all on the cheap.

This Roubaix I bought is the first bike I've owned that I didn't have a hand in building from the frame up since forever. Leaves a guy feeling like there is some mystery to it. Building it up from pieces lets you uncover the secrets and it becomes yours as well as I think part of you.
Good fun huh?
I did this project for two reasons: one was to save loads of money, and the other was because I wanted to find out how modern road bikes go together. The last time I did any wrenching on bikes was when I was a teenager back in the 70's. Those bikes were a LOT easier to work on.

The Roubaix is a great bike. I've been looking for something a more comfortable than my Specialized S-Works Venge, which is a very fast but uncompromising race bike. After 30 miles, I just want to quit riding it. Yesterday I rode 60 miles on the Roubaix, and could easily have done another 20 or so if I'd had enough time. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm actually considering entering the Horrible Hundred this year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: