Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 292 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 09:39 AM   #33781
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Is the faster part timed or perception?

I experimented, running TTs, on chip sealed roads. Also, the industry experts have noted time improvements, with lower pressures. Even the pro-tour guys are running lower pressures and wider tires.

You need to invest in a SRAM Red or Shimano Dura Ace caliper. They're much stiffer arms than what you have. If the arms can flex, you lose braking power. Stay away from cheap stuff, when it comes to brakes.
I don't time my rides so I can't give splits. It was definitely easier to pedal and it was surprisingly smooth. I researched some websites regarding air pressure and for the tire and my weight they all said to go higher than what I was running.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #33782
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Ruth as in Ruth LaPoint D'Aiuto?
Yep, that's her.

Quote:
That's got to be the same person I met on last year's Texas Stampede. I'm not so sure her boyfriend was all that happy with the hugs she always gave me though. Nice lady though.

She and Keith rode a tandem on the Stampede. I've never seen her on a bike other than a tandem so I didn't know she was so strong.
What I found amazing about her Strava sprint records is the fact that she set them after having already ridden very long distances, like 75 miles in one case. I don't know how she does it.

Quote:
Right now, they're riding across the US - just passed through the Grand Canyon.
Holy cow. Is this something they're doing themselves, or is it some big event?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #33783
Eugene
-

Oddometer: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
I don't time my rides so I can't give splits. It was definitely easier to pedal and it was surprisingly smooth. I researched some websites regarding air pressure and for the tire and my weight they all said to go higher than what I was running.
I've been playing around with some 44s(yes 1.75") at 50psi and to my surprise my average speed isn't much slower(16mph). The biggest difference is worse handling but they're more confidence inspiring on rough/loose surfaces. Then again my bike is somewhat portly(Salsa Vaya) so I doubt whatever I run will make a huge difference.
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #33784
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Holy cow. Is this something they're doing themselves, or is it some big event?
Well, they have their own webpage and it's kind of a pseudo-charity things. They're raising funds for "Hope for the Warriors". I'm extremely leery of such events - how much of the donations are going to fund this trip across the US versus the charity itself?

I have no idea & I don't see that info on the webpage so no money from K7. Having said that, I'd be shocked if they were using any of the funds for their vacation. They seem like good peeps to me!

Years ago, I helped assemble a trip to Belize which was essentially a group of Land Rover owners looking for an adventure. We had about 22 vehicles that met in Laredo and drove down together. We had all manner of LRs - from D-90 to D110 to a SIIA Dormobile to a Series III with a bunch of Discovery's thrown in for good measure.

Everyone did their own little fund raising activities and filled their trucks with donated good for the hospital and churches. I was very, very clear with those who donated money - 100% of the money went exclusively for the items purchased. No part of the funds were used to support the trip itself i.e. gas, meals, hotels, camping fees, etc. It was a vacation to me - and I can pay my own damn way. Even my little church back home passed the plate and gave my father, who went with me, a check for several hundred dollars for us to purchase stuff. The majority of our donations was for child vitamins - a real need there believe it or not - and we had over 1000 bottles of those. It took us 8 hours to get everyone through the border at Larado - the Mexican authorities weren't real happy letting us pass through - that's another story.

Quote:
What I found amazing about her Strava sprint records is the fact that she set them after having already ridden very long distances, like 75 miles in one case. I don't know how she does it.
She's a strong rider. Before the cross-country trip, they were up in north Georgia riding. I've ridden that area - it'll wipe out a lesser rider. Takes strong legs to ride up Brasstown Bald!

k7 screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 11:01 AM
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #33785
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,802
Quote:
But even the Dura Ace and SRAM Reds on my road bikes don't come close to matching the stopping power of hydraulic disk brakes, which is what he's comparing it to. And forget about trying to stop quickly if your bike is equipped with CF wheels; dragging your feet provides more stopping power.
There's a HUGE difference, though, between cheap Tektro brakes and D/A. I had Tektros on an old roadie and they were unsafe for someone my weight traveling down a 9% hill at speed.

I've never ridden a bike with disk brakes, so I can't offer a comparison there.

Regarding the CF wheels, did you switch to CF-specific pads?

Quote:
APPROVED BRAKE PADS FOR ZIPP WHEELS
Carbon brake tracks
These brake pads have been tested and approved for use with Zipp tubular and Carbon Clinchers wheels. Having the wrong pads, or worn pads, can be dangerous and potentially void your wheel’s warranty. See your local dealer for more information or to purchase.
Zipp Platinum Pro Evo Brake Pad Inserts
Model: Zipp Tangente Platinum Pro Evo Brake Pad
Color: Silver (Grey)
Brake surface: Carbon
Notes: Ships with all new Zipp wheels with carbon braking surfaces; available for purchase in packs of two ($40, €36) for SRAM, Shimano® or Campagnolo® brake-pad holders.

This pad is the result of our endless drive to improve and optimize everything we make. The redesigned pad – created especially for braking on carbon surfaces – delivers smooth speed control and reliable stopping power in all conditions, wet or dry. It also is designed for a longer wear life. The Tangente Platinum Pro Evo Brake Pad is designed for use on carbon rims and has not been approved for use on aluminum braking surfaces.
Zipp Tangente Cork Brake Pads
Model: Zipp Tangente High Performance Cork Brake Pad
Color: Cork
Brake surface: Carbon
Notes: Available for purchase separately in packs of two ($38, €34) for SRAM®, Shimano® or Campagnolo® brake-pad holders.
Please Note: Cork pads are NOT approved for aluminum.
Other approved pads for Zipp wheels with carbon brake tracks:
Tangente Platinum Pro (first version Tangente pad)
SwissStop® Black Prince pad
Bontrager cork pads
Zipp carbon/carbon pads
SwissStop® yellow pads
Clinchers with aluminum braking surfaces
We recommend the standard SRAM and Shimano® (black) rubber pads. Campagnolo® brake pads tend to retain heat and are too aggressive. Pads containing ceramic materials should not be used with Zipp clinchers with aluminum braking surfaces, due to their excessive abrasion.
SwissStop Black Pad
Zipp Standard Road Brake Pads
Model: SRAM SwissStop (Flash) Black High Performance
Color: Black
Brake surface: Aluminum
Notes: Comes standard with SRAM RED and Force, available from your local dealer.

Brake Pads included with SRAM Groups
RED caliper brakes:
Come standard with SRAM SwissStop Black High Performance pads – Aluminum braking surface only.
SRAM Force™ caliper brakes:
Come standard with SRAM SwissStop Black High Performance pads – Aluminum braking surface only.
SRAM Rival™ caliper brakes:
Come standard with SRAM / SwissStop Compound brake pads (black).
SRAM Apex™ brakes:
Come standard with SRAM / SwissStop Compound brake pads (black).
Additional note: Any time a pad is being switched between aluminum and carbon braking surfaces it is imperative to check the pad and remove (by filing, picking, or sanding) any aluminum shavings left in the pad.
Aluminum Embedded Brake Pads
Image shows embedded aluminum shards after braking - these must be removed to protect your carbon braking surface against accelerated and excessive wear.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #33786
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
I've never ridden a bike with disk brakes, so I can't offer a comparison there.
Well, just to give you an idea: a hard one fingered squeeze on my mtb can nearly send me over the handlebars, whereas a hard three fingered squeeze on my road bikes just slows them down.

Quote:
Regarding the CF wheels, did you switch to CF-specific pads?
My Zipp wheels came with their own CF-specific brake pads, as did the Cervello S5 and Specialized Roubaix I test rode. All of them provided braking performance so poor that it was scary. The Specialized salesman was candid enough to admit that he would never choose CF rims, as he considered them dangerous even in dry conditions.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #33787
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Well, just to give you an idea: a hard one fingered squeeze on my mtb can nearly send me over the handlebars, whereas a hard three fingered squeeze on my road bikes just slows them down.

At some point, I'm sure I'll give them a shot on a roadie. They seem to be gaining ground. No real interest in MTB riding unless an ass-ton of time/money lands in my lap.

My Zipp wheels came with their own CF-specific brake pads, as did the Cervello S5 and Specialized Roubaix I test rode. All of them provided braking performance so poor that it was scary. The Specialized salesman was candid enough to admit that he would never choose CF rims, as he considered them dangerous even in dry conditions.
I don't know a lot of riders that train with CF for that very reason. They save them for the crits or the stage races where any hard braking usually results in a carbon fiber enema and some very pissed off racers.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #33788
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Are they mechanical or hydraulic? I was astonished at the feel when I rode hydraulic disk brakes for the first time. Unbelievable control.

Quote:
I've heard that before from others.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #33789
k7
Ancien cyclist

Mt bike v. road bike

Too funny.

I think that's Aurelius who rides up at the end.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #33790
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,019
I had some, ahem spare time and was looking at my Strava track from last night. The 1.2 mile straight I managed to up my PR. Cool and in looking noticed I'd set the previous fast for me about a year ago. And I did have a good tailwind. So who knows what that actually means? Other than I inched a time up a notch. Then I looked at the top fast guy.
a tick over a minute faster than me over 1.2 miles!
more than 33 mph! It is a wide flat straight with plenty of wide open sight lines, but that is crazy fast for more than a mile.
Of course I was in the middle ring and the middle of my block, so just spinning so that fast kid had better look out.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #33791
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
180 lbs.
And furry!

Good picture!

Quote:
What's a Strava friend?
You know ... following each other on Strava:
http://app.strava.com/athletes/1627535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I had some, ahem spare time and was looking at my Strava track from last night. The 1.2 mile straight I managed to up my PR. Cool and in looking noticed I'd set the previous fast for me about a year ago. And I did have a good tailwind. So who knows what that actually means? Other than I inched a time up a notch. Then I looked at the top fast guy.
a tick over a minute faster than me over 1.2 miles!
more than 33 mph! It is a wide flat straight with plenty of wide open sight lines, but that is crazy fast for more than a mile.
Of course I was in the middle ring and the middle of my block, so just spinning so that fast kid had better look out.
Some people are crazy crazy fast! I love that about Strava... you can see what is possible and give "kudos" to those badass athletes.
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #33792
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Interesting article on how Strava sells user data to government agencies.
http://www.active.com/cycling/Articl...onte@yahoo.com

I saw that story. If the data is anonymized and used for traffic and urban planning I have no concern with it. I'd love to see my city do more to make my commute bike friendly.

OTOH, if the local government wants to use individual data to defend against legal claims or persecute traffic violations, I think that would raise a number of issues.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #33793
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Are they mechanical or hydraulic? I was astonished at the feel when I rode hydraulic disk brakes for the first time. Unbelievable control.
My 29er is fitted with hydraulic, twin piston calipers.

Quote:
I've heard that before from others.
They're now coming stock on some bikes. The S-Works Roubaix comes with a set of CF rims, and I think I saw them on one of the new Treks as well. I remember the time I got caught in a sudden downpour while riding my TT bike, which is fitted with a set of Zipp 808's. When those wheels got wet, it felt as if I had no brakes. I can just imagine what would have happened if I'd been going down a hill.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #33794
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,019
That was funny.
Explains all the crap in my closets and garage.
Quote:
Too funny.

I think that's Aurelius who rides up at the end.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #33795
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
You know ... following each other on Strava:
http://app.strava.com/athletes/1627535
Every once in a while I would get a notification that "X is following you on Strava". I never understood what that was about. Is it like stalking?

Quote:
Some people are crazy crazy fast! I love that about Strava... you can see what is possible and give "kudos" to those badass athletes.
Don't believe everything you see on Strava. One of my riding buddies got the KOM on a local trail, traveling at a ridiculously high speed. I knew he couldn't possibly go that fast, so I asked him how he did it. First he told me that he must have had the wind at his back. Then he told me he'd been doping. Finally the truth came out: he'd been using this software called 'Virtual EPO' that allows you to alter your GPS data to make it look like you were going faster than you really were.

Another thing to be aware of is that Strava sometime makes errors when calculating average speed. Last year I received a notice that someone had beaten my KOM, but his speed just looked too fast to be believable. I then clicked on the Performance tab and saw that at no point on the segment did his speed equal mine, so having a higher average speed was mathematically impossible. The folks at Strava admitted that it was an error. I've since seen it happen on at least two other runs, so apparently it's not that uncommon.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: