Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 04:00 AM   #33781
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Got my Roubaix back late this afternoon, shod with its new ultralight wheels and tubeless tires. .
What brand - Wheels/tires? Fulcrum Zeros?

Quote:
One thing I did manage to verify was that the lighter wheels' reduction in rolling inertia caused the bike to roll to a stop at the bottom of the hill much sooner than before
Add weight, that will give you more momentum downwhill, while the lighter wheels will help you uphill, you may come out ahead
Old 06-19-2014, 05:04 AM   #33782
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oremuz View Post
at montalban rizal

Welcome!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #33783
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
What brand - Wheels/tires? Fulcrum Zeros?
http://road.cc/content/review/95902-...pha-340-wheels

Can't remember what sort of tubeless tires I have on them. They were designed to be lightweight and fast rolling, but not as light and fragile as a racing tire.

Quote:
Add weight, that will give you more momentum downwhill, while the lighter wheels will help you uphill, you may come out ahead
Excellent suggestion.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #33784
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
One thing I did manage to verify was that the lighter wheels' reduction in rolling inertia caused the bike to roll to a stop at the bottom of the hill much sooner than before. Repeated tests proved that the first result wasn't a fluke: try as I did, I couldn't get the bike to within 50 feet of where it usually came to a stop. It lurches forward from a dead spot with noticeably less effort, but it also seems to want to stop rolling the moment you stop pedaling. I'm very eager to see what all this will add up to when I take it out on it's first long ride this weekend.
Congrats on the new wheels. Sounds like the bearings don't spin as freely as they should or maybe it's your tires. The thing I noticed after purchasing my (new to me) used HED wheels was they seemed to spin forever. Try playing with tire pressures first.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #33785
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Congrats on the new wheels. Sounds like the bearings don't spin as freely as they should or maybe it's your tires. The thing I noticed after purchasing my (new to me) used HED wheels was they seemed to spin forever. Try playing with tire pressures first.
The lower inertia of lighter wheels means that they will spool up more quickly and/or with less effort than heavier wheels, but it also means that they will stop spinning sooner when you stop pedaling; that's just basic physics. I was told to expect this by someone who swapped out his stock wheels for a set of Zipp 202's, but I didn't expect the effect to be quite as dramatic as it was.

When I have the opportunity to take the bike out for a real ride with my power meter on, I'll be paying close attention to the wattage I'm putting out to climb the same hills. It certainly felt as if the lighter wheels required less efforts on the climbs, but I have no hard numbers at present to confirm it.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #33786
savetheclutch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Reading this thread made me want to ride again, holly crap 1 year of not riding destroys your shape. I used to do 30-40 miles a day and I did 13 yesterday and thought I was going to have a heart attack

Instagram = @irideducati
savetheclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #33787
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,298
no doubt savetheclutch. I couched it for 6 months and became a sloppy mess. Thankfully the last two weeks I have ridden at least every other day. Always surprises me how good pedaling does the mind and body.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #33788
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by savetheclutch View Post
Reading this thread made me want to ride again, holly crap 1 year of not riding destroys your shape. I used to do 30-40 miles a day and I did 13 yesterday and thought I was going to have a heart attack
I started riding again in 2011. Prior to that, I hadn't ridden a bicycle since 1977. Fortunately, sitting in front of a computer all day for decades kept me in excellent physical shape.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #33789
savetheclutch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
haha yeah.. I have been sitting on a desk for the past year... only thing keeping me sane is my motorcyle but I am 20lbs heavier!! so time to start pedaling hardcore again. Plan is to start at 15miles a day and build up from there

Instagram = @irideducati
savetheclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #33790
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
haha yeah.. I have been sitting on a desk for the past year... only thing keeping me sane is my motorcyle but I am 20lbs heavier!! so time to start pedaling hardcore again. Plan is to start at 15miles a day and build up from there
15 miles a day might be tough, especially if you live in hilly terrain. When I began riding again, 13 miles on a local trail seemed like a long, long ride. I remember being so exhausted at the end of a 20 mile ride that I barely had the strength left to swing my leg over the seat. Hard to believe, now that I'm doing hundred mile rides.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #33791
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Oddometer: 4,162
Quote:
Reading this thread made me want to ride again, holly crap 1 year of not riding destroys your shape. I used to do 30-40 miles a day and I did 13 yesterday and thought I was going to have a heart attack.
The same thing happened to me. Stopped riding the bicycle and went from low 170's to an all time high of 207lbs. When I started biking again a few weeks ago I thought I was going to die.

I feel a thousand times better, getting the exercise in. Pushing the limits is quickly changing my physique.

With a baby due in a month and a half I don't know how long I can keep up the cycling.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #33792
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Has anyone used an internal geared hub yet?

I really like the idea of jettisoning a derailleur. The newest Shimano has 14 speeds but it could be heavy compared to the equipment it replaces.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #33793
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Has anyone used an internal geared hub yet?

I really like the idea of jettisoning a derailleur. The newest Shimano has 14 speeds but it could be heavy compared to the equipment it replaces.
For JRA and commuting they can be nice since they have very low maintenance requirements. Shifting at a stop is another advantage in most internal hubs. They are definitely heavy and don't really offer the fine-tuning you can get from a cluster and rings. I'm also unsure that you can get brifters that work with internal hubs, but that may have changed. That would eliminate modern drop bars unless you want to kludge with an extra shifter to mount.

What specifically bothers you about the rear der?
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #33794
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,838
I re-started wanting to try for an hour.
That would get me to the bridge past the park on the bike path and back. It was hard the first few times.
Now, it isn't so much unless the wind is against me.
Oh, and that made for about 12 miles or so for me. There is this big hill at the end I have to deal with.
I was at 40 pounds up over my race-weight.
And it was fifteen years of desk duty and physical neglect.

The past week has been a re-visit of the flu season. Not horrible but a slight sore throat poked me away from riding Sunday worse Monday got me to skip riding and into bed early. The upset tummy, slight fever and the increasing sore throat nailed me Tuesday so that by Wednesday i was sleeping nearly the entire day shivering or sweating.
The fever broke sometime in the afternoon and the cats woke me about 3:30.
They promptly went back to napping.

I'll stay off the bike until Saturday just to make sure. Then see how things go for the weekend. I have some maintenance to attend to on the 990. Oil change and fuel filters. Re-set the idle and sync and such. I should get most of that accomplished Friday evening.
I'll never see 140 again or 1,500 miles per month or 23 mph averages with hills and climbing mountains, but I figure I can drop back to the high to mid- 150's and get to 150 miles a week sometimes more or less. And re-discover my old eating habits, but at a smaller portion size.

Oh, and I noticed the newest of my old bibs has threads worn off, so now I'm going shopping to replace two pairs instead of one.
They are only 4 years old!

Quote:
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #33795
Chillis
Land Barge Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
For JRA and commuting they can be nice since they have very low maintenance requirements. Shifting at a stop is another advantage in most internal hubs. They are definitely heavy and don't really offer the fine-tuning you can get from a cluster and rings. I'm also unsure that you can get brifters that work with internal hubs, but that may have changed. That would eliminate modern drop bars unless you want to kludge with an extra shifter to mount.

What specifically bothers you about the rear der?
I prefer a clean and maintenance free setup. The derailleurs need constant tinkering(mine do) to stay quiet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: