User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #34711
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
The first day with luggage was a short one. More gentle rolling hills in the Welsh borders. Jimmy commented on my endless energy. All the standing up while climbing. It wasn't my energy levels doing it. Monkey butt was really making itself felt.

The luggage wasn't a big deal. My kit was only 14lbs. I'd gone to a lot of trouble to keep my kit weight down. I can't say I really noticed it. Jimmy had a different philosophy when it came to kit. He got the biggest, heaviest bags he could find then put as much stuff as he could in them. They seemed to make him faster. Particularly down hill.

We finished the day in Bishop's Castle in a campsite on the edges of town. It was the first time we'd tried our tents. They stood up by themselves which was a good start.

Day 5:

The next day took us out of the borders and into the flatlands of the North. A really easy day. We thought we must be getting fitter, but strava showed otherwise. The graph showed us going down hill all day.

The day finished in style with Jimmy entering the campsite on his face. Our first crash of the trip.

With rain forecast the next day we were up at 5:45 to pack in the dry. We only just started moving when the rain hit. It was like being in a power shower. All day.

This was the day we had to get through the industrial/urban conurbation that is the North West. 60 miles of tarmac, cars, lorries, industrial estates and grimness on a literally industrial level. It was bloody miserable.

So miserable we opted to camp in a golf resort hotel. A double bed and a bath has a lot going for it when you've been shivering all day.

Day 6 and 7 (GPS cock-up, not really a 130 mile day):

5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #34712
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,829
Awesome progress 5th!
I like the humor in the photos too.

You almost inspire me to dream about a long ride with gear.

Almost.

I'm a whimp.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #34713
arkansawyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,020
I got slammed with 84 hours last week. Gave away two 4 hour blocks to make it 76 hours, because I am a slacker. Only rode 10 miles all week.
This week has been better. Finally had time to mount 700 x 42 tires on the second set of wheels. These sure roll easier than fat mtb tires.
I think I spotted a Schwinn Krate hanging in a garage. It's amazing how much more is to be seen on a bicycle. Nobody was home and I didn't feel comfortable walking into that garage. I'll keep checking when I pedal that county road.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #34714
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,689
gotta' factor in the season, too,..

i've toured the Calif coast (fully loaded) from North to South in November; not only was it Wool and Gore-Tex weather the whole time and a rush to make it to camp due to short daylight hours, but it was face into the wind the whole time (and rain, ~80% of the time).

i particularly remember one stretch where the wind and rain was into my face so hard i had to keep my head down to use the visor on my hood to block my eyes,… normally this might be dangerous due to the limited sight line it creates, but it was blowing so hard i was already reduced to needing granny gear to maintain forward progress *downhill*…
sounds awful, but it was one of those times where you realize how much you can actually handle when you have to. sorta' "if i can do this, i can do *anything*".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
That makes perfect sense. It'd be like riding north on HWY 1 in California. There's a huge South bound wind that makes traveling north a challenge. I've done it both ways and it's definitely not so much fun riding hundreds of miles into a 30+mph headwind. Great pics!

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #34715
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,829
I rode to the PNWet from down here by motorcycle in 2006 and again in 2010. In 2010 it snowed on me at the end of May! I was over on the 5, trying to make time in the rain.
The BMW whale foreskin liner is not waterproof for a thousand miles of rain and snow.

I rode hwy 1 in 2007 the whole way, up and up around the Olympics. Epic riding but cold even in July. And of course wet near the coast, hotter than hell inland.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #34716
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
While the wind is predominantly out of the North along the California coast if you happen to be riding in a winter storm it can and does do an about-face and come out of the South-West. Isn't riding in the wind fun!

Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:26 AM   #34717
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

We left the hotel in the rain. Summer riding kit and winter conditions isn't a good mix. The Forest of Bowland helped. It's beautiful countryside, and despite the lack of trees it kept our minds off the wet. The rain kept coming but it started to warm up. We ended up cooking gently in our waterproofs.

Our route took us into the Lake District and Kendal. Kendal is the centre of the Lakes and a hub for climbers and hikers. Which means shops that sell outdoors clothing! An emergency stop saw me kitted out with arm warmers, waterproof gloves and a waterproof hat. Jimmy got himself a new waterproof jacket. The shop staff told us we were one of six groups of end-to-enders who'd passed through in the last couple of days. Needless to say it stopped raining the instant we bought the new kit.

Out of Kendal is Shap, the biggest continual climb of the trip at 1200'. It was also the venue of the only nasty pass of the trip. A big high-sided lorry with a big high-sided trailer made a close pass. With a high bank on the inside everything went dark, and stayed dark. It probably felt worse than it was but it wasn't any fun at all. The climb itself was easy. Not very steep, just long. The other side was mile after mile and gentle descent.

We ended up in Kirkoswald. A lovely little village, with some even more lovely pubs.

Day 8:

Old 08-15-2014, 04:42 AM   #34718
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 43,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thElephant
Great shot!

Really enjoying the ride report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I'm sorry your dog died before you got to beat it with a dead chicken.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:03 AM   #34719
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Great shot!

Really enjoying the ride report.

Added to the list.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #34720
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Luckily the dry weather didn't last so our new kit didn't go to waste. The rain swept in during the night. Trying to pack inside a one man tent you can't sit up in is a bad way to start the morning.

It didn't take long to get into Scotland. This was when we and had our first (and only) puncture. The 28 tyre needed 120 psi. Taking turns on the mini-pump the best we could do was 70. Topping up with a co2 cartridge did the trick in the end. We'd have been stuffed without one.

It was another cold, wet day. We took a direct route on what was a major road left empty by the nearby motorway. It was dead. No pubs. Lunch was at a motorway service station.

We ended up in Abington at a picturesque campsite. Noisy though, with a nearby motorway and railway. But it had a tumble drier. This was a revelation after another wet day. My damp cycling kit went in. Jimmy took the opportunity to wash his stuff and chucked that in as well. We stuck a coin in the slot and the machine burst into life. Five minutes later it stopped. Our last two coins gave another 10 minutes of drying. It's late, everywhere was shut. No more coins to be had. Everything Jimmy owns was soaking wet. My cycling kit was wetter than when it went in.

The thing about eating 6000-8000 calories a day then either riding or sleeping is your digestive system gets screwed up. So I'm up at 4:00am for my now customary explosive evacuation. I spot the hot-air hand drier in the gents. An hour later I have a dry set of cycling gear.

Day 9:

5th-Elefant screwed with this post 08-15-2014 at 05:58 AM
Old 08-15-2014, 06:03 AM   #34721
Motocicletta
ridetowork

Oddometer: 581
Bsc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Yes indeed. I could tell the second I clicked on her video that she's the type of SoCal surgically enhanced look @ me type who's BSC.
I ride in the Santa Monica Mountains. Since 1990, no accidents, other than crashing on turns I took too fast, never hit a car and was never hit by a car. Lots and lots of miles on PCH. I am familiar with Calabasas having worked there. I have been yelled a old lady in a Mercedes 'Get the F*#k off the road' on PCH. A pick up truck full of teens threw a 60 mph Big Gulp full of ice at me near Decker Canyon. Recently I have been called a faggot by a teen driving an Explorer on Malibu Canyon.

But please explain what is BSC?

Santa Monica, CA
'88 R100GS
Motocicletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #34722
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
i know this may open a can of worms...LOL but whats the opinions on chinese knockoff bike frames? i fiound a copy of a Kona Coilair (not perfect but pretty close, looks like decent geos) for dirt cheap... $191 before shipping...

the frame:

or knockoff brand full suspension stuff...
$113

$211

or theres some hard tail off brand options for under $100...again before shipping...
$89

$92 with seat clamp and headset

thoughts? i cant afford a new frame from a bikeshop right now...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #34723
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,653
I could use one of those for me electric-assist conversion.. please supply a link
Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #34724
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
I could use one of those for me electric-assist conversion.. please supply a link
its on taobao, and to buy you need to purchase thru an agant like taobaotrends.com

Kona Knockoff

Quohe

Soyater

Aone

Cube

oh and youre gonna need google chrome to translate the page...LOL just FYI...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #34725
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 14,672
BSC = bat shit crazy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: