Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #34711
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
That woman is a fucking idiot. Did you look at her other video blogs? She's got no idea how entitled she is -- white privilege up the yin yang -- and her "commentary" is often borderline racist and uniformly not funny.
My sympathies go to her poor husband.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #34712
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,115
Her videos are better if you mute the sound and listen to AC/DC.

Sorry, I'm an old guy with a low tolerance for bad.
But, nice to see she did make the effort to cross off her previous dumb.

Do people actually make these sorts of video blogs regularly? And they get watched a lot?
Man society is bored.
We need to sell these people bicycles and running shoes or Starbuck's coffee cards.
Quote:
That woman is a fucking idiot. Did you look at her other video blogs? She's got no idea how entitled she is -- white privilege up the yin yang -- and her "commentary" is often borderline racist and uniformly not funny.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #34713
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
$380 for a three-bike fit session seemed fair to me as it took him over five hours to dial everything in. I have a century coming up this Saturday that I'm hoping to crush in less than 5 hours so we'll see how the fit goes.

Oh... here's one for your viewing pleasure.

Great write up on the fitting. That seems steep until you consider a one bike Retul fit is around $220 last time I checked into it. Haven't done it yet. I'm worried they'd tell me I'm on the wrong bike and need to go back to a 58cm frame. $$$
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:00 PM   #34714
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Agreed on the idiot part. But I'll take the mea culpa at face value.
I totally agree - and the persona that she presents in the "Wake up call" video is much more likeable, down to earth and empathetic. You know - what I would expect from someone who has a career in law enforcement/personal training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
My sympathies go to her poor husband.
+1 -- otoh, if he thinks she's funny, he's just as much an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Her videos are better if you mute the sound and listen to AC/DC.

Sorry, I'm an old guy with a low tolerance for bad.
But, nice to see she did make the effort to cross off her previous dumb.
Ugh.. except for the Cinco de Mayo video -- that's racist even with the sound turned off.

Quote:
Do people actually make these sorts of video blogs regularly? And they get watched a lot?
Man society is bored.
Unfortunately, this sort of thing is out there. There's a lot of one-way transmission of all kinds of random crap in people's heads and they think that it's interesting so they must tell everyone. This is the reason I am NOT on Facebook -- too many boring status updates about people's meals and other random bullshit. Low signal-to-noise ratio.

We live in a society of entitled, self-important people who criticize and judge and think that they need to "fix" other people or laugh at them for being different. Nobody is responsible for their actions and they always think that they are in the right -- whether it's texting and driving or speeding 55 in a 25, it's always OTHER PEOPLE who are at fault or who shouldn't do those things.
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #34715
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Unfortunately, this sort of thing is out there. There's a lot of one-way transmission of all kinds of random crap in people's heads and they think that it's interesting so they must tell everyone. This is the reason I am NOT on Facebook -- too many boring status updates about people's meals and other random bullshit. Low signal-to-noise ratio.

We live in a society of entitled, self-important people who criticize and judge and think that they need to "fix" other people or laugh at them for being different. Nobody is responsible for their actions and they always think that they are in the right -- whether it's texting and driving or speeding 55 in a 25, it's always OTHER PEOPLE who are at fault or who shouldn't do those things.
Yes indeed. I could tell the second I clicked on her video that she's the type of SoCal surgically enhanced look @ me type who's BSC.

edit: She should spend a few months waiting tables in a restaurant for a dose of humility.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #34716
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This is the reason I am NOT on Facebook -- too many boring status updates about people's meals and other random bullshit. Low signal-to-noise ratio.
I had to 'unfriend' my cousin last year, after I got sick of his DAILY updates about his infernal cats.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #34717
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Great write up on the fitting. That seems steep until you consider a one bike Retul fit is around $220 last time I checked into it. Haven't done it yet. I'm worried they'd tell me I'm on the wrong bike and need to go back to a 58cm frame. $$$
I was worried about the same thing but he was quite honest about the fit. His experience with fits and selling bikes has been one that most people are on a frame much too large for their body and intended use. His first step in selecting a frame for any potential rider being fit is to build the frame geometry to the rider based on a 120mm stem length. Apparently their Retul MUVE fitting jig takes this into account and they can apply the measured dimensions and intended use of the bike to any model currently offered in the market. They then find the closest geometry an off-the-shelf frame would offer or (at least in the location where my fit was done) they can build a custom frame for about $3800.

I'm currently riding a 56cm road bike and a 55cm cross bike. His opinion, after my fit session, was that I should really be on a 54 with longer stem. I'd be interested to experience a 54 with longer stem set up with their recommendations to really sort it out though.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #34718
Jenn
praise seitan!

Quote:
Yes indeed. I could tell the second I clicked on her video that she's the type of SoCal surgically enhanced look @ me type who's BSC.
You think surgically enhanced? I'd say not - she's too young for that, and I know lots of very pretty young blonde women in their late 20s/early 30s who could be her double.

Her vlog is what happens when you are born pretty, white and bored off your ass in entitled suburbs -- she thinks that she's being "radical" and hilarious. One of her vlogs was about being "that girl" for not wearing deodorant in the gym (and then makes an excuse that deodorants haven't worked well for her -- well, doh -- they don't work, you just have been buying into commodifiation and objectification of your body, dimwit).

First world/white people problems.

Quote:
edit: She should spend a few months waiting tables in a restaurant for a dose of humility.
Screw that - she would have too many excuses for why the customers are all irrational and why her negative experiences were other people's fault.

I had a friend who grew up good looking and white in SoCal, bored by his suburban existence as a chiropractor. I pointed out to him that he was young and single without dependents and had no excuse -- I told him to look into Doctors Without Borders or Peace Corps. Must've struck a chord because he took a job as a chiropractor in Africa and was gone for almost a year. When he returned, he had a MUCH different outlook on "boredom" and I saw a real shift in personal values after living in a country with dire poverty.

Send that woman to live in a little village in Peru or Ecuador or some place with real privation, problems and poverty. Get her out of her parochial bourgeoisie world and give her a shot of compassion.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #34719
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

My FB hot button is the endless political drivel. Some family I've figure how to ignore there.
I was forced into FB when I was on business travel away from my family and with my dad off in the hinterlands part of the year we all keep up.
Food picks, newborn kittens and kids all fine by me.
The endless game requests and data mining what stupidity is annoying too. But, I figure out the unfollow thing so I see less and less of the crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I had to 'unfriend' my cousin last year, after I got sick of his DAILY updates about his infernal cats.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 08-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #34720
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
My FB hot button is the endless political drivel. Some family I've figure how to ignore there.
I was forced into FB when I was on business travel away from my family and with my dad off in the hinterlands part of the year we all keep up.
The endless game requests and data mining what stupidity is annoying too. But, I figure out the unfollow thing so I see less and less of the crap.
How do I do this? There are LOADS of people I want to unfollow.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #34721
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Quote:
But, I figure out the unfollow thing so I see less and less of the crap.
Just like the ignore button here makes the conversation much more interesting and less stressful.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #34722
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I was worried about the same thing but he was quite honest about the fit. His experience with fits and selling bikes has been one that most people are on a frame much too large for their body and intended use. His first step in selecting a frame for any potential rider being fit is to build the frame geometry to the rider based on a 120mm stem length. Apparently their Retul MUVE fitting jig takes this into account and they can apply the measured dimensions and intended use of the bike to any model currently offered in the market. They then find the closest geometry an off-the-shelf frame would offer or (at least in the location where my fit was done) they can build a custom frame for about $3800.

I'm currently riding a 56cm road bike and a 55cm cross bike. His opinion, after my fit session, was that I should really be on a 54 with longer stem. I'd be interested to experience a 54 with longer stem set up with their recommendations to really sort it out though.
I can make ya a deal on a Quattro Assi with a 54.5cm TT.

edited to add: if you want to order FN Bicycles #002, we can make that work too.

M
Old 08-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #34723
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

We'll have to talk at the DBB next weekend.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #34724
Jenn
praise seitan!

Quote:
Data mining & dumb games are one thing. When people began to attempt to enforce memorization of their one-way broadcasts as a substitute for conversation -- that's when I quit Facebook.

As in "How is ___?" "I posted it on Facebook, don't you read my stream?" (as if reading/remembering enforces the priority/value on that relationship)... got it a lot, so quit Facebook.

The other thing that pissed me off was when certain younger people would insist that there's no such thing as "tone of voice" in writing and would refuse to take responsibility for being snotty/snarky/condescending or rude. I personally ask "what do you mean by that?" or "did you mean it to sound this way?" -- but again -- society tells them that everything they say and do is perfectly valid and anyone who they injure with their carelessness is not their responsibility. *shrug*
Old 08-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #34725
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

The last thing I'll say about facebook for me is it does keep our family connected across a few countries. It has also re-connected a few old friends who over the years we'd just drifted off into our own orbits. Work and distance tend to do that sort of thing. Re-connecting through facebook got soem of us back into sync a bit. Our conversations picking up decades later as if we'd only gone off to the restroom for a bit.
Most of us look really old now too.

So, I have to give it that.
There is a bunch of stuff that just almost makes me kick the table over and walk off though. But, then family are like that sometimes.
Kind of like it all.
Some days I just want to swing a leg over the KTM and ride away. Most days I resist the urge.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: