Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 134 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #3466
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
If its got a 54-55cm TT it could be tempting.

Always wanted a Colnago.

M
I believe it's a 55,i just left him a message to refresh my memory with details and asking price.
Not a scratch on it,he's abusing me on a Look 585 now with the same drivetrain as this one.
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #3467
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd
I believe it's a 55,i just left him a message to refresh my memory with details and asking price.
Not a scratch on it,he's abusing me on a Look 585 now with the same drivetrain as this one.
Had a Look for a bit. Got it from a buddy. Free. He'd put in on the roof rack (the side this-un was on was backwards: seat first) and it'd flipped over and cracked the chainstays. Sent it to Havnoonian to fix it. Said it'd be more than the bike was worth so I let him have it for parts.

Never even got to ride the damn thing!

M
Old 04-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #3468
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
So I finished 3rd in the tmbra race this weekend. After 8" of rain over the past week, the course was a wreck (literally). Fortunately, most of the trail was dry, fast and rocky....but the mud holes were the equalizer. They often came in the middle of a 30mph sweeper, halfway through a switchback climb, and at the bottom of steep, rocky descents/climbs. Some holes were ~10" deep with baby heads at the bottom....it was very interesting. There were broken deraileurs, a broken frame, 2 broken arms, and a collar bone (I think).

I finished 3rd in 19-29 sport and beat my nemesis in the process. I'm really happy with the result. We had a tight group of about 8 guys mixing it up most of the race and I was able to get around the pack in a mudhole and start the following climb with a clear trail ahead. I had the legs and gapped the guys by about 30 seconds.....all I had to do was ride consistantly for ~40 minutes to the finish.

I know there were a few photogs out there so I'm waiting on pics (they should be good). For now, here are the results:

This race
http://www.tmbra.org/results/spring_...ort/ssm19.html

Overall results for the Texas championship series (this moves me to 6th overall)
http://www.tmbra.org/results/spring_07/html/ssm19.html
We usually have several first rate photographers at our races but because of the ouachita challenge this weekend, the talent was divided between the two races. I was only able to find a couple of pics of myself (I know, I know...next time) but these will give you an idea of the conditions.

This was a fun one

...and my mug
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #3469
Plan B
"Never Cry Shitwolf"

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary

I need a weld. Need.

Or not.
Welds are so last millenium. Plastic bikes are great and the prices keep falling. You just need to watch out for nicks and scratches.
I bought a lugged bike a few years ago because it spoke to me and then I added a cheap alluminum bike to the stable for TT's. The TT bike with wheels and TT bars was about 5lbs lighter than my lugged road bike and it no longer seemed so pretty anymore. I ended up pulling the bars and wheels and doing the swaperoo for every TT and mothballing the beauty queen.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #3470
lorazepam
Two fisted burger

Oddometer: 8,169
Hey Scott, check these out. Seamless tubing, and a reasonable price.

http://www.habcycles.com/road.html
Old 04-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #3471
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorazepam

The guy that owns/runs Habanero was active on one of the cycling boards I was going to. Seems like a good way to get into Ti without the big $$.

M
Old 04-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #3472
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer: 10,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
The guy that owns/runs Habanero was active on one of the cycling boards I was going to. Seems like a good way to get into Ti without the big $$.

M

i wish i would have bought an airborne frame when they first came out.

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #3473
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorazepam

Nice price. Anyone know how they ride?

It's another aluminum/carbon job, but the Van Dessels have a certain class yumminess.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 AM   #3474
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,987
I am wanting to buy a new bike. What should I get? I am leaning toward a mountain bike. Hardtail or full suspension? Would I be better off buying a strickly mountain bike and a road bike? I was tossing around the idea of a cyclocross bike. Right now I ride mostly city and the bike trail that I have around. I don't know weather I would ever race mountain bike competitively. I used to race bmx awhile back and can seem myself wanting to ride off road. I bascilly am riding now to get into shape for dirt biking and for fun as well. I can see myself wanting to do local events that come up. Possibly both on and off road. I can see myself also getting into cyclocross.

Thanks
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:44 AM   #3475
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
i've had hardtails and full suspention. Most of my riding is off road now. i ride a giant reign 3. it's an "all mountain" bike. lots of travel in the fork and the shock. the full susp is much easier on my butt esp. after 3 or 4 hours of riding. the bike is heavy though (around 32 lbs). it really sucks up the bumps though on the techy stuff. i really like this bike. i'm 46 and it's a great workout and easier on my knees.

never be bored!

al
Old 04-04-2007, 07:21 AM   #3476
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r
I am wanting to buy a new bike. What should I get? I am leaning toward a mountain bike. Hardtail or full suspension? Would I be better off buying a strickly mountain bike and a road bike? I was tossing around the idea of a cyclocross bike. Right now I ride mostly city and the bike trail that I have around. I don't know weather I would ever race mountain bike competitively. I used to race bmx awhile back and can seem myself wanting to ride off road. I bascilly am riding now to get into shape for dirt biking and for fun as well. I can see myself wanting to do local events that come up. Possibly both on and off road. I can see myself also getting into cyclocross.

Thanks
XR,

We've discussed this topic quite a bit earlier in this very thread.

Tough to answer based on the limited info here but if you raced BMX and are riding for dirt bike fitness I think it sounds like you should start with a mountain bike.

Flaco
Old 04-04-2007, 07:23 AM   #3477
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r

Thanks

Get all of them. A road bike, a mountain bike, and a cyclocross bike. Then you get weird stuff like fixies and what not. Keep buying bikes until you don't have time to ride them all, it's the only feasible solution. :)
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #3478
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
XR,

We've discussed this topic quite a bit earlier in this very thread.

Tough to answer based on the limited info here but if you raced BMX and are riding for dirt bike fitness I think it sounds like you should start with a mountain bike.

Flaco
Thanks, I was reading some of it but it will take me a while to get thru the whole thread. Any idea about what page of the thread?
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #3479
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Get all of them. A road bike, a mountain bike, and a cyclocross bike. Then you get weird stuff like fixies and what not. Keep buying bikes until you don't have time to ride them all, it's the only feasible solution. :)
+1....there is no better addiction
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 AM   #3480
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer: 10,401
xr. if it was me the first thing i would do is figure out where i would be riding the most. pick 3 local places you would most likely ride and take a few hours to see what others are riding, if its mostly road bikes and some cycclocross mixed in you have your answer. if one is road mostly but that other two are full suspension mountain bikes that look like they came out of beyone thunderdome, you have an answer.

for me trail riding is a lot less boring than road riding. but im better at road riding than i am at trail riding. my next bicycle will be a full suspension mountain bike, or possibly even a single speed with suspension fork.

again see what people near you are riding and ask the bike shop employees whats up, theyll tell you.

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: