User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 223 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #3541
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
Depends on the buyer. Is it a 531 lugged frame? Any old Campy parts? I've seen old 70s vintage bikes like that go for anywhere between $100 and $500 depending upon the parts...

RW
Old 04-07-2007, 09:22 AM   #3542
Dark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
Depends on the buyer. Is it a 531 lugged frame? Any old Campy parts? I've seen old 70s vintage bikes like that go for anywhere between $100 and $500 depending upon the parts...

RW
Looks like both deraillures & the shifters are simplex, so they may be original. Brakes are mafco racer & nothing on the hubs

I don't see any campy, the frame is lugged the only thing it has about the tubing is this

Dark screwed with this post 04-07-2007 at 09:28 AM
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #3543
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark
Looks like both deraillures & the shifters are simplex, so they may be original. Brakes are mafco racer & nothing on the hubs

I don't see any campy, the frame is lugged the only thing it has about the tubing is this

Thats a low-to-mid end peugeot ... at least its Simplex instead of Hueret(sp?). Mafac brakes were never as good as even the Weinmanns's you'd find on similar english bikes. WAG says 1970s but I can't say early or late.

the worst part is, those french frames had whack threads and diameters on the bottom bracket, head sets, and seat posts, making it really hard to upgrade. looks like steel cotter-pinned cranks, so its basically a junk bike as-is. Was probably $80-$100 new in the early/mid 70s (whereas a campy/531 french bike would have been $350-500 circa 1975).

now, I have a old 70s motobecane that -is- 531 double butted, including 531 forks and stays, and came mostly campy (and I converted it to all campy in the 70s while it was still new). trouble is, its pretty seriously trashed from 10 years of heavy(!) use before I drifted over into mountain biking in the mid 80s.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #3544
Bubba
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
While on a walk recently I saw this bike sticking out of the top of a dumpster. I wheeled it home with the intention of turning it into a fixed gear. Mostly it was an excuse to turn a few wrenches while enjoying a beer.

Before

After

Itís good enough to ride the mile into town for groceries and if itís gone when I come out for it itís no big deal. Being a cheap bastard it also brings me joy riding something that was free.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #3545
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
I agree with Pierce... This bike would be "borderline" in my mind as to clean and run "as is" or tear down to re-use the frame/fork as a fixie.

Since you have such little cash in it as it sits, I'd probably just clean it up and run it as a cool bike that you don't see everyday.

RW
Old 04-07-2007, 12:57 PM   #3546
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
I agree with Pierce... This bike would be "borderline" in my mind as to clean and run "as is" or tear down to re-use the frame/fork as a fixie.

Since you have such little cash in it as it sits, I'd probably just clean it up and run it as a cool bike that you don't see everyday.

RW
it also looks like it has steel clincher 27" rims and probably crappy chrome plated steel spokes as that was pretty much standard w/ the steel rims. IIRC, those 2nd/3rd tier french bikes generally had Maillard(sp?) or similar hubs which had soft races prone to pitting, and requiring rather frequent rebuilding.

that IS a better bike than the Schwinn Varsity that was probably in the same price range. I concur, I'd slap some new cables on it,new handlebar tape, lube it up, and run it as-is as a round-town who-cares bike, with minimal maintenance, as long as the bearings run reasonably smooth. Don't mess with the bottom bracket unless its really crunchy, those cotter-pin cranks may never tighten up properly again if you take them apart (DAMHIK)... It looks almost unused, so its quite possible the races and cones are in good shape. biggest problem will be finding 27" clincher road tires, I dunno if those are made anymore. 700c rims may not reach the brakes (and, anyways, its not worth the expense of lacing up a new wheelset unless you lace your own... and even then, you'd probably want to use new hubs and such). oh yeah, freewheels, you can't get those old threadon 5-speeds gearsets anymore (7 speed is all I could find, and that will require modifying the spacers on the axle, and redishing the rear wheel), so if the cluster is sticking and a liberal flush of wd40 won't free it up, you're hosed.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #3547
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba

Itís good enough to ride the mile into town for groceries and if itís gone when I come out for it itís no big deal. Being a cheap bastard it also brings me joy riding something that was free.

get some tape on those bars, geezus.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:30 AM   #3548
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
While on a walk recently I saw this bike sticking out of the top of a dumpster. I wheeled it home with the intention of turning it into a fixed gear. Mostly it was an excuse to turn a few wrenches while enjoying a beer.

Before

After

Nice job, sometimes I wish my Fixie was a "sleeper/junker" so I could lock it up outside a store, etc.

Besides tape, don't you find it hard to ride a fixie without at least toe clips?
One wrong move and that pedal will come round and slam your foot right off.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #3549
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Nice job, sometimes I wish my Fixie was a "sleeper/junker" so I could lock it up outside a store, etc.

Besides tape, don't you find it hard to ride a fixie without at least toe clips?
One wrong move and that pedal will come round and slam your foot right off.
While it is a single speed, I bet its a freewheel.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #3550
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
While it is a single speed, I bet its a freewheel.
Your probably right, but he did say Fixed gear so I assumed not a freewheel/singlespeed.

Looking at the picture it looks like a freewheel.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #3551
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
Why do you all think it's hard to ride a fixed gear without clips? While I do agree that soft platforms like that don't offer much grip, a good set of Mtn/BMX platforms are more that enough if you're not racing. Even then, I race cyclocross on my fixed with platforms...
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #3552
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker
Why do you all think it's hard to ride a fixed gear without clips? While I do agree that soft platforms like that don't offer much grip, a good set of Mtn/BMX platforms are more that enough if you're not racing. Even then, I race cyclocross on my fixed with platforms...
Maybe that works with cyclocross, but I can't imagine it being that safe. If it's fixed, alot of your braking comes from the rear wheel being stopped by backpedal pressure. When I do this on an abrupt stop the bike tends to jump a bit. That's when I'm glad I'm locked in. If my foor were to slip, the crank would come around and bang the back of my leg or heel, etc. On a high geared road fixie I wouldn't want to be loose on a pedal.

Also on downhills, when you reach that point where your cadence is faster than your forward pressure, spooky without being locked in if you ask me.

Even Sheldon's website says it's not a good idea, and to always at least use toe clips with two straps while fixed.

If you're talking freewheel then I think it's fine.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #3553
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Wknd ride update / check in.

Rode just 20 yesterday with a new rear cog 19 (48 crank) from a 17 tooth one and I really noticed little difference. Little hectic in the downhills but smooth uphill.

Something real nice about passing a few guys on utlra carbons, checking out their derailleurs and seeing they're dying up the hill in the low gears, and here I am on the steel fixed. It should be fun when I get back on a roadie.....

Gummee's so right, it's not about your equipment.

I'm heading out again in an hour, it's snowing flurries off and on here, windy and cold.

Good day for a ride
Old 04-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #3554
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Guess no one's riding today, Easter and all.

Was able to squeeze in 26 miles today, kicked my freakin ass too, I'm beat.

Fixies are not good in the wind, not good..
Old 04-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #3555
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Guess no one's riding today, Easter and all.

Was able to squeeze in 26 miles today, kicked my freakin ass too, I'm beat.

Fixies are not good in the wind, not good..
I did 30 miles at race pace off-road today (just under 3 hours). I'm worn out. I have my race bike as dialed in as it's ever been...and going into next weekend on a course I've killed in the past. I can't wait
yater is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: