ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #3556
Bubba
Adventurer
 
Bubba's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
While it is a single speed, I bet its a freewheel.
Yeah it's a freewheel, not fixed. It was the beer talking.
__________________
In the heroic deeds of the Grandsons I see the glory of the Grandfathers.
-Unknown
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #3557
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,817
Easter Sunday Bike Hash report:

So no shit, there I was, JRA towards the front of the 'pack.' Not pack as in paceline/etc. but 'pack' as in gaggle of riders looking for trail. Next closest guy behind me was ~10m back. Coming up to a stop sign, there's a 3' wide grating set into the pavement for runoff... Ooh lookee! Gaps in the grates. Better make sure I hit the middle of one!

Next thing I hear is the unmistakeable sound of bicycle and rider hitting the ground. Hard.

The dood wasn't wearing a helmet 'cause his head got sunburned the other day and he 'wanted to protect it.' Basically, he was wearing a baseball hat with flaps when he augered in.

Blood pooling under the head.

Guy's out like a lite.

There's a group of us standing around at the moment, not knowing enough first aid to be able to do first aid type stuff for neck injuries when a nurse from the prison shows up and stabilizes the dood's neck. Checked pupils, etc. and hung out till the meatwagon showed up. Paramedics did a good job getting the guy onto a backboard and off to UMC.

I hadta pull the bike out of the grate. He had sunk it up to the hub!

Waited around for one of the hasher's buddies to show up with a bike rack 'cause the dood's bike wasn't going anywhere under its own power.

'Course it wasn't 30min before we were cracking jokes at the poor bastage's expense, but that's hashing.

Lesson of the day: ALWAYS wear a farging helmet!

I had just bought Stick Me her first bicycle helmet the afternoon before. Now she knows why I always wear em!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #3558
yater
Beastly Adventurer
 
yater's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Easter Sunday Bike Hash report:

So no shit, there I was, JRA towards the front of the 'pack.' Not pack as in paceline/etc. but 'pack' as in gaggle of riders looking for trail. Next closest guy behind me was ~10m back. Coming up to a stop sign, there's a 3' wide grating set into the pavement for runoff... Ooh lookee! Gaps in the grates. Better make sure I hit the middle of one!

Next thing I hear is the unmistakeable sound of bicycle and rider hitting the ground. Hard.

The dood wasn't wearing a helmet 'cause his head got sunburned the other day and he 'wanted to protect it.' Basically, he was wearing a baseball hat with flaps when he augered in.

Blood pooling under the head.

Guy's out like a lite.

There's a group of us standing around at the moment, not knowing enough first aid to be able to do first aid type stuff for neck injuries when a nurse from the prison shows up and stabilizes the dood's neck. Checked pupils, etc. and hung out till the meatwagon showed up. Paramedics did a good job getting the guy onto a backboard and off to UMC.

I hadta pull the bike out of the grate. He had sunk it up to the hub!

Waited around for one of the hasher's buddies to show up with a bike rack 'cause the dood's bike wasn't going anywhere under its own power.

'Course it wasn't 30min before we were cracking jokes at the poor bastage's expense, but that's hashing.

Lesson of the day: ALWAYS wear a farging helmet!

I had just bought Stick Me her first bicycle helmet the afternoon before. Now she knows why I always wear em!

M
I take it dood came to before he was hauled off? Bicycle helmets just make too much sense these days not to wear.

I have the club ride tonight and TNSS (tuesday night single speed) tomorrow and then taper for the race sunday. I'll likely do an easy off-road ride wed and maybe just run errands thursday (on the bike)....friday off, easy pre-ride saturday...race sunday. I'm expecting to kick ass this weekend.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #3559
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
I take it dood came to before he was hauled off? Bicycle helmets just make too much sense these days not to wear.
yeah, he was lucid when they hauled him off. Not too much before then tho.

Quote:
I have the club ride tonight and TNSS (tuesday night single speed) tomorrow and then taper for the race sunday. I'll likely do an easy off-road ride wed and maybe just run errands thursday (on the bike)....friday off, easy pre-ride saturday...race sunday. I'm expecting to kick ass this weekend.
Go get em tiger!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #3560
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org
 
gambrinus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 6,477
Anyone else watching the spring classics on Vs. ??


RW
__________________
..constructive criticism irritates me. I do not object to being denounced, but I can't abide being school-mastered, especially by men I regard as imbeciles.
-Mencken
gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #3561
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust
 
Flaco's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Historic Montrose CO
Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
Anyone else watching the spring classics on Vs. ??


RW
Do you know when RVV is going to be on?

CX worlds was on today at 3 but I was busy and missed it.

I certainly intend to watch.

Flaco
__________________
VIVA LOS MTNADS
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:36 PM   #3562
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
Do you know when RVV is going to be on?

CX worlds was on today at 3 but I was busy and missed it.

I certainly intend to watch.

Flaco


AND I'm gonna be learning how to breathe underwater when Paris-Roubaix is running.

Someone PLEASE tape/record it for me! PLEASE!! :begging

If I hadta pick a 'season' to ride it'd be the spring classics.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #3563
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,481
Well frick. I should just stay the hell out of bike shops.

Actually, it doesn't really matter now. I don't have any money left to speak of. Who really needs a car, anyway?




'05 Kona Hoss. I already got yelled at by some lady while chasing seagulls with it.

I'm done for this year, really. Honest. Except for maybe that Unit 2-9 at the LBS.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #3564
Plan B
"Never Cry Shitwolf"
 
Plan B's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Home of the Canucks
Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Well frick. I should just stay the hell out of bike shops.
Cool bike...Seagulls will never be safe again
__________________
Viva la Evolution
Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:07 AM   #3565
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast
 
Oznerol's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Well frick. I should just stay the hell out of bike shops.
Didn't you just buy a new road bike, like last week? Now when I break down and buy a new road bike in a few weeks (second bike in around 6 months), I can console myself: "At least I'm not as bad as that Askel guy."

I've been trying to stave off the buying urge by tweaking existing bikes; This weekend I finally got around to picking up some parts I'd ordered for the fixie, and last night I did the work -- replaced the drop bars with bullhorns, and a TT-style reverse lever for the front brake. Also, I swapped out the rear cog to go from 48x16 to 48x17.

Overall, a nice improvement. The bullhorns are much comfier for running around the neighborhood, and the new lever gives me much better access to the brakes and much, much improved braking feel and max-effort stopping ability. The new gearing is noticably quicker off the line and gives finer control in low-speed maneuvers. It also noticably limits my top speed, but that's probably a good thing in the city.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #3566
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,817
Anyone need D/A parts?

I just sold the S-Works frame/fork and will have some pieces parts left over

Cranks (170mm 39/53 with FSA black rings)
brakes
pedals?
Shoes: size 43 new Pearl Izumi Fast R3s and some older Nike Poggios
rear derailleur
front derailleur (clamp-on AL sized for a double)
27.2mm x mtn length seatpost (a Syncros, a Thomson, or a Dean Ti depending on how much someone wants to spend...

Ritchey Pro stem 120mm

I've also got some 44cm Ritchey Pro h-bars and some 9sp Ultegra brifters if someone wants em

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #3567
yater
Beastly Adventurer
 
yater's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Anyone need D/A parts?

I just sold the S-Works frame/fork and will have some pieces parts left over

Cranks (170mm 39/53 with FSA black rings)
brakes
pedals?
Shoes: size 43 new Pearl Izumi Fast R3s and some older Nike Poggios
rear derailleur
front derailleur (clamp-on AL sized for a double)
27.2mm x mtn length seatpost (a Syncros, a Thomson, or a Dean Ti depending on how much someone wants to spend...

Ritchey Pro stem 120mm

I've also got some 44cm Ritchey Pro h-bars and some 9sp Ultegra brifters if someone wants em

M
My bike is ultegra 9speed. I don't really need them but how much?
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #3568
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust
 
Flaco's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Historic Montrose CO
Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Anyone need D/A parts?

I just sold the S-Works frame/fork and will have some pieces parts left over

Cranks (170mm 39/53 with FSA black rings)
brakes
pedals?
Shoes: size 43 new Pearl Izumi Fast R3s and some older Nike Poggios
rear derailleur
front derailleur (clamp-on AL sized for a double)
27.2mm x mtn length seatpost (a Syncros, a Thomson, or a Dean Ti depending on how much someone wants to spend...

Ritchey Pro stem 120mm

I've also got some 44cm Ritchey Pro h-bars and some 9sp Ultegra brifters if someone wants em

M
PM Sent on bars and shifters!

f.
__________________
VIVA LOS MTNADS
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #3569
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
My bike is ultegra 9speed. I don't really need them but how much?

one BILLION dollars!

wuahahahaha!

Or $100 whichever's less.



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #3570
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
PM Sent on bars and shifters!

f.


M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015