Old 04-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #3586
Subcanis
Unskilled Aerofixer

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout
Good. Now get out there and pedal!

And congrats on the new ride.
Ive been putting a lot of time on my trainer lately. Trying to slim up for this summer, hoping to make it to RAGBRAI (registered, but not sure if Im gonna the time off work). 40 hours a week in school and 40 hours a week at work make it hard to get out of town to ride...
Old 04-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #3587
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subcanis
Ive been putting a lot of time on my trainer lately. Trying to slim up for this summer, hoping to make it to RAGBRAI (registered, but not sure if Im gonna the time off work). 40 hours a week in school and 40 hours a week at work make it hard to get out of town to ride...

My father-in-law and I keep talking about RAGBRAI, but that'll have to wait a while. Too many other plans on the horizon.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:22 PM   #3588
lorazepam
Two fisted burger

Oddometer: 8,169
how much for the d/a brakes?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #3589
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,453
The Kona Hoss is fucking awesome. If you're around 250 lbs. anyway.

Finally, a bike I can really wail on. Can't wait until the trails are clear. I should really get a full face helmet, I'm going to get in trouble.

Seriously, Kona did their homework on this one- it just feels really solid. More so than any other bike I've ridden. Of course, it better for how much it weighs.

In other news: bent a wheel on the road bike already.
I should invest in a home truing stand. My weight and the shitty road I live on are going to beat the crap out of this poor bike.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #3590
lorazepam
Two fisted burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
The Kona Hoss is fucking awesome. If you're around 250 lbs. anyway.

Finally, a bike I can really wail on. Can't wait until the trails are clear. I should really get a full face helmet, I'm going to get in trouble.

Seriously, Kona did their homework on this one- it just feels really solid. More so than any other bike I've ridden. Of course, it better for how much it weighs.

In other news: bent a wheel on the road bike already.
I should invest in a home truing stand. My weight and the shitty road I live on are going to beat the crap out of this poor bike.
See if you can find some 36 spoke wheels. I ride on them, 240 here, and I dont have a problem with wheels staying true.

I have some mavic cosmos wheels for when I get closer to 200.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4221
Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #3591
Subcanis
Unskilled Aerofixer

Oddometer: 1,098
Velomax Circuit Comps

http://www.bicyclebuys.com/Items01.a...=12851&pOP=450

I got these. Im 220 and theyve been solid. Just another option...
Old 04-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #3592
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorazepam
See if you can find some 36 spoke wheels. I ride on them, 240 here, and I dont have a problem with wheels staying true.

What kind of wheel setup are you using right now?
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #3593
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
yeah, all these new road bikes with the 10 spoke wheels, I dunno but seems like there's no WAY those can be as strong as a good old 36 spoker.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #3594
lorazepam
Two fisted burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
What kind of wheel setup are you using right now?
I have 9 speed ultegra, and 2 sets of 36 spoke wheels.
mavic open pro rims with ultegra hubs
ambrosio montreal tubular rims with 105 hubs.
Straight gauge dt spokes.
Both sets are solid, and stay in true very well.

You should lace a set up. It is easy, and cool to ride a set of wheels you have built.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #3595
lorazepam
Two fisted burger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
yeah, all these new road bikes with the 10 spoke wheels, I dunno but seems like there's no WAY those can be as strong as a good old 36 spoker.
No kidding. Probably use 36 spokes on tandems now.

BTW Askel, they are 3 cross pattern.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #3596
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
If you're into clydsdale (sp?) territory, go with a beefy 36h rim. They make some stout stuff for touring, tandems and BIG boys... Since you are on the VIP list at the local shop, show up with some beer and just shoot the shit about a new set of wheels for the road bike... see what they have to say.

RW
Old 04-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #3597
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

I've been running the stock 16-spoke Korsos on my 'cheapie' Scattante and I'm 240#. They went out of true at about 50mi, but I think that's because they weren't tight enough to start. Now, at about 550mi on them, they're due for another tweak as they're just slightly out of true.

No issues yet on a variety of pavement conditions, but if you believe some of the folks at bikeforums.net, they're going to explode and kill me.

I may switch to 25mm tires when the OEM Kendas wear out just to spread the load out a bit more.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #3598
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 7,053
When I did my aussie tour, the only problem of note I had mechanically the whole trip was the rear wheel. About halfway through I had to start truing it every night. I actaully rode for over a week with broken spokes tied to good ones to keep them from getting cought on anything. I didn't know what else to do, I knew jack about wheels. If I do another tour like that, no wieght will be spared for strength.

A 48 spoke wheel is typically used for loaded tandem touring. They usualy weigh a little under 10 lbs. Phil Wood makes a 48 hole hub that you wont have to stretch your frame to make fit. Why settle for practical when overkill is so much more satisfying.
KiLeR650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #3599
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeR650
When I did my aussie tour, the only problem of note I had mechanically the whole trip was the rear wheel. About halfway through I had to start truing it every night. I actaully rode for over a week with broken spokes tied to good ones to keep them from getting cought on anything. I didn't know what else to do, I knew jack about wheels. If I do another tour like that, no wieght will be spared for strength.

A 48 spoke wheel is typically used for loaded tandem touring. They usualy weigh a little under 10 lbs. Phil Wood makes a 48 hole hub that you wont have to stretch your frame to make fit. Why settle for practical when overkill is so much more satisfying.

So sayeth the KLR owner.

I hear what your saying and if it proves to be an issue or I find a spare couple hundred $$, I'll look at new wheels. Until then, pedal on!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #3600
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I've never touched my ksyrium equipes...but i weigh 132 lbs. Check out www.roadbikereview.com and search for clyde wheels or similar. I also agree that the shop guys will tell you all you need to know (IF THEY'RE RIDERS)....I train with my lbs wrenches (they're roadies) and sometimes hang out for hours at the shop just talking shit.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: