User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 315 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 06:00 AM   #4216
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,467
This is the ride we're doing this coming weekend...Bike The Drive. If any of you have been to Chicago you'll know how gorgeous the lakefront is, it's going to be GREAT getting to ride Lake Shore Drive with no cars! I can't wait!
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:29 AM   #4217
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 978
Wreck

Well, I had a fun getoff on the way to work, this morning. I'd just left home and came up behind a contractor's pickup. I slowed down to see what he was going to do, as he was right in the middle of the street, barely moving, and wasn't signalling. I thought he was was getting ready to pull into an empty parallel parking spot on the right, so I started accelerating and moving left to go around him.

Right as I'm passing his rear bumper, he suddenly starts turning left into a driveway, right in my path. I simultaneously braked hard with the front, swerved hard left, and shouted "Whoa! Whoa!" The front wheel tucked under and I flew sorta left and forward over the bars. But I somehow managed to get my left foot unclipped and landed on it, rather than my face.

He rolled down his window as I was walking back to my bike, and I just calmly said "Ever heard of a turn signal, man?", picked up the bike, and rode on to work. I'm kinda happy with myself for not really going off on the guy -- yeah, he should've signaled, but if I'd been a little more patient and spent a couple more seconds reading his intentions before trying to pass, the whole thing would have been avoided.

I seem to be okay. I didn't lose any skin, but I may have slightly tweaked a knee or shoulder. I won't know for sure until the adrenaline wears off. The left horn of the handlebars seems to be bent slightly to the right, but not enough to cause any trouble.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #4218
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen
This is the ride we're doing this coming weekend...Bike The Drive. If any of you have been to Chicago you'll know how gorgeous the lakefront is, it's going to be GREAT getting to ride Lake Shore Drive with no cars! I can't wait!
Nice

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #4219
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Funny thing is...

I'm damn good at that fitting shit.

Too bad I can't do myself. Hard to do when you can't watch yerself pedaling...

M
That may actually do me some good if you ever get your stupid ass moved to Denver....

RW
Old 05-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #4220
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody
Well, I had a fun getoff on the way to work, this morning...
Glad you walked away, you must have killer reflexes!
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #4221
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Well, I had a fun getoff on the way to work, this morning. I'd just left home and came up behind a contractor's pickup. I slowed down to see what he was going to do, as he was right in the middle of the street, barely moving, and wasn't signalling. I thought he was was getting ready to pull into an empty parallel parking spot on the right, so I started accelerating and moving left to go around him.

Right as I'm passing his rear bumper, he suddenly starts turning left into a driveway, right in my path. I simultaneously braked hard with the front, swerved hard left, and shouted "Whoa! Whoa!" The front wheel tucked under and I flew sorta left and forward over the bars. But I somehow managed to get my left foot unclipped and landed on it, rather than my face.

He rolled down his window as I was walking back to my bike, and I just calmly said "Ever heard of a turn signal, man?", picked up the bike, and rode on to work. I'm kinda happy with myself for not really going off on the guy -- yeah, he should've signaled, but if I'd been a little more patient and spent a couple more seconds reading his intentions before trying to pass, the whole thing would have been avoided.

I seem to be okay. I didn't lose any skin, but I may have slightly tweaked a knee or shoulder. I won't know for sure until the adrenaline wears off. The left horn of the handlebars seems to be bent slightly to the right, but not enough to cause any trouble.
Glad to hear that you're o.k. Was riding with a friend YEARS ago and he had something just like this happen to him. THe driver was stupid enough to start giving my buddy shit about running into his car door with his bike... THis was the begining of a series of very bad events for the driver..

RW
Old 05-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #4222
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,413
Quote:

Jeebus, I hate that shit. Good for you for staying sane and even better for coming away unscathed.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #4223
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen
Glad you walked away, you must have killer reflexes!
I have to admit, immediately afterwards I felt like a bit of a badass for landing the way I did. I was on the fixed gear, and I think that helped a bit -- I'm more aware of what my feet are doing when I can't coast, and that probably made me a little quicker to unclip.

But it was probably more luck than anything. I've gone over the bars while mountain biking, and the only reason I still have all my teeth and no interesting metalwork in my jaw is that I happened to land on soft soil when I (literally) faceplanted.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #4224
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,072
Quote:

That's basically why Spagthorpe don't have a scapula... He was on his Supermoto doing the same thing at higher speeds.

I've BTDT myself. Shoulder blocking cages ain't too much fun. Don't recommend the experience.

Glad yer all right and not in Stick Me's ICU!

Next time WATCH THE FUCK OUT! 20s is too young to go buh-bye! (that goes for both y'all)

M
Old 05-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #4225
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I have to admit, immediately afterwards I felt like a bit of a badass for landing the way I did. I was on the fixed gear, and I think that helped a bit -- I'm more aware of what my feet are doing when I can't coast, and that probably made me a little quicker to unclip.

But it was probably more luck than anything. I've gone over the bars while mountain biking, and the only reason I still have all my teeth and no interesting metalwork in my jaw is that I happened to land on soft soil when I (literally) faceplanted.
I can tell you from personal experience that pavement DOES NOT taste good.

Hence the name...

M
Old 05-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #4226
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
That may actually do me some good if you ever get your stupid ass moved to Denver....

RW
Not this Friday but next. Couldn't tell you where tho. Cherry Creek prolly

The only down side is that the RT's gonna hafta learn to ride in the back of a pickup. She's gonna die of embarrassment! That's why I'm gonna hafta trade her in on a model that's never seen the back of a truck.

M
Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 AM   #4227
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
Quote:
20s is too young to go buh-bye!

M

And too much fun...
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #4228
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
Not this Friday but next. Couldn't tell you where tho. Cherry Creek prolly

The only down side is that the RT's gonna hafta learn to ride in the back of a pickup. She's gonna die of embarrassment! That's why I'm gonna hafta trade her in on a model that's never seen the back of a truck.

M
Don't think of it like that, think of it as proving it really does EVERYTHING better than a chopper, including looking pretty in (a) bed.
KiLeR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #4229
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeR650
Don't think of it like that, think of it as proving it really does EVERYTHING better than a chopper, including looking pretty in (a) bed.
There IS always that.

I'd rather it not get comfy back there tho...

M
Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #4230
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
Damn eBay is sweet.

I just bought a brand new rigid SS 29er for $330, and a Kona Stinky Dee-lux for $680.

I think I MIGHT have all the bikes I want (for now):

- Speciailized aluminum hardrock turned 69er turned 69er town cruiser w/ front and rear racks

- Motobecane rigid 29er turned fixed gear 29er turned fixed gear 29er with BMX bars.

- Kona Stinky Dee-lux 7" travel freeride bike

- Early 80's centurion turned fixed gear road bike/cross bike in winter.

- Two BMX bikes (for sale, who wants some cheap?)
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: