Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 519 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #4216
RobZim
No, I'm not me.

Oddometer: 3,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
When I was riding LOTS, I'd gotten to the point where I was working in .5-1mm increments to find the right feel. 'Course then I'd wear thick socks and screw the whole thing up!

Now that I'm not riding as much, it ain't quite as critical.

Just got back from Phx. Stopped in at the PBS store there to pick up some black bar tape for the Crosshairs. White just don't look good on that bike somehow. While I was there, I perused the sale barge. Got the mgr type talked down to $60 for a Mavic Wintech computer. Now to go put it on!

Oh, and am in the final stages of relacing my Ritchey Pro wheel with some Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Letcha know how it turns out. Right now they're twisting as I'm torquing, so I'm watching what I'm doing. Got the old spokes out last nite and the new ones in, tensioned, round, and now I'm working on the final stages of true-ness and round-ness. Gets a little on the frustrating side on occaision... 32-spoke wheels are MUCH easier to get right quickly!

M

Cool, I've been building wheels off and on for about 30 years. My current wheels are indestructable but very heavy. (Build to withstand about 70 pounds more of me.) The hubs are Hugi and the rims are Rhynos with 36 hole 3X. Make a good downhill wheel I suppose. The weight don't matter much now, I'm riding alone to get into shape. I think I'd want to find something a bit lighter if I decide to race
RobZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #4217
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZim
Cool, I've been building wheels off and on for about 30 years. My current wheels are indestructable but very heavy. (Build to withstand about 70 pounds more of me.) The hubs are Hugi and the rims are Rhynos with 36 hole 3X. Make a good downhill wheel I suppose. The weight don't matter much now, I'm riding alone to get into shape. I think I'd want to find something a bit lighter if I decide to race
Nah. To finish first, first you must finish.

That's why I've never ridden the absolute lightest stuff.

M
Old 05-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #4218
thencamebronson
Takin' a trip?

Oddometer: 737
Rode my single speed Bianchi San Jose on a shop ride Tuesday night.

Dropped like a 10 year old girl on a stingray. With flowers on a plastic basket.

I need gears.

It may have been beat to death, but what is the collective wisdom on internal geared hubs. Harris Cyclery (Sheldon Brown) has a San Jos8 with a shimaNO nexus 8 speed. Looks pretty cool. I'd like a Rohloff, but kinda spendy.
thencamebronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #4219
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,587
On my bi-weekly group ride last night, a friend of mine ate it hard. His seatpost broke, and the seat got jammed in between his frame and fixed gear rear wheel at around 20mph. He ended up riding home, but dog damn he hit the pavement hard! It was a nice sturdy Campy seatpost, but I guess years of hard city riding took there toll.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #4220
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
The final race of the tmbra spring series was held at x-bar ranch in el dorado, Tx (west). The course was ROCKY and technical in spots...a LOT of fun to race on.

I went into this race with 6th place (overall) secured barring a dnf. I was 17 and 22 pts behind 5th and 4th respectively so only a flat or mechanical would have let me advance on them. My goal was to ride consistantly and stay out of the cactus. If I saw one of the 4th or 5th guys having trouble, I'd push it a bit to gain points on them.

An hour into the race, my teammate flatted in front of me and I "dropped" a co2 for him just in case. He caught up to me on the last climb (pictured) and we agreed on a "gentlemen's finish"....I climbed the hill and we squared up for a sprint to the line....about 200 yds. I beat him by about 1 1/2"...what a great end to the season.

I finished 6th overall and plan to hit it hard this summer (after a little down-time) and be top 3 overall for the fall series. I'm already itching for it to start ....I'll be doing some random races in Tx, La, and Ar this summer and will report on them...I'm nursing tendonitis in the right knee for now so it'll be a few weeks before I'm pushing it again.

I'm in front here:
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #4221
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
The final race of the tmbra spring series was held at x-bar ranch in el dorado, Tx (west). The course was ROCKY and technical in spots...a LOT of fun to race on.

I went into this race with 6th place (overall) secured barring a dnf. I was 17 and 22 pts behind 5th and 4th respectively so only a flat or mechanical would have let me advance on them. My goal was to ride consistantly and stay out of the cactus. If I saw one of the 4th or 5th guys having trouble, I'd push it a bit to gain points on them.

An hour into the race, my teammate flatted in front of me and I "dropped" a co2 for him just in case. He caught up to me on the last climb (pictured) and we agreed on a "gentlemen's finish"....I climbed the hill and we squared up for a sprint to the line....about 200 yds. I beat him by about 1 1/2"...what a great end to the season.

I finished 6th overall and plan to hit it hard this summer (after a little down-time) and be top 3 overall for the fall series. I'm already itching for it to start ....I'll be doing some random races in Tx, La, and Ar this summer and will report on them...I'm nursing tendonitis in the right knee for now so it'll be a few weeks before I'm pushing it again.

Watching you come around that corner makes my quads hurt.

F.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #4222
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thencamebronson
Rode my single speed Bianchi San Jose on a shop ride Tuesday night.

Dropped like a 10 year old girl on a stingray. With flowers on a plastic basket.

I need gears.

It may have been beat to death, but what is the collective wisdom on internal geared hubs. Harris Cyclery (Sheldon Brown) has a San Jos8 with a shimaNO nexus 8 speed. Looks pretty cool. I'd like a Rohloff, but kinda spendy.
Heavy. Complicated. Other than that, they seem kinda kewl.

M
Old 05-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #4223
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
Watching you come around that corner makes my quads hurt.

F.
The real burner was a 6+ mile stretch of grassy uphill jeeproad/field. I was able to gap the guys behind me but there's nothing worse than watching the guy ahead of you pull away while your legs and lungs are on fire. At least I bought some time and was able to stick to my plan without any pressure.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #4224
RobZim
No, I'm not me.

I just rode the 16 miles to the new Performance bikes down the street from my house. Very big store with lots of variety. IMHO, their selection of bikes sorta sucked. Prices were above the internet. I thought about buying pedals but prices on ebay were about 1/2.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #4225
RobZim
No, I'm not me.

Quote:

I'm in front here:
I'm turning 50 this year and I'll be moved up a class. If I keep improving as I have the last few weeks, I'll see you in the fall! Congrats on your 6th place overall. That's quite an accomplishment!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #4226
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm turning 50 this year and I'll be moved up a class. If I keep improving as I have the last few weeks, I'll see you in the fall! Congrats on your 6th place overall. That's quite an accomplishment!
I have some friends who race 50+ expert and sport....GREAT guys in any class you race. I'll be there in the fall...hope to see you at the races!

...where are you?
Old 05-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #4227
RobZim
No, I'm not me.

Quote:
I have some friends who race 50+ expert and sport....GREAT guys in any class you race. I'll be there in the fall...hope to see you at the races!

...where are you?

In the Woodlands area...
Old 05-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #4228
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,570
Quote:
I just rode the 16 miles to the new Performance bikes down the street from my house. Very big store with lots of variety. IMHO, their selection of bikes sorta sucked. Prices were above the internet. I thought about buying pedals but prices on ebay were about 1/2.
The shops are run somewhat independently, leading to differences in pricing. They will, however, match the internet prices. They have a somewhat liberal return policy.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #4229
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
The shops are run somewhat independently, leading to differences in pricing. They will, however, match the internet prices. They have a somewhat liberal return policy.
Acrtually, no the shops aren't run independently. Not since the asshats from Bass Shoes took over in the mid-90s. Why d'ya think I don't work there no more?! Couldn't take care of the good customers in the manner in which they were used to.

I try not to go in, but some things are just better priced there vs the LBS. Take bar tape for example. There's 2 shops in the downtown Flag area. BOTH are selling bar tape at $16.99. Fucking highway robbery. PBS: $5.99. Even better: chucksbikes at $3.50. I change bar tape WAY too frequently to pay $17 for cork.

Speaking of which... Got the bars re-wrapped with black tape. MUCH mo bettah than the white. Also installed the WinTech computer I got. Some and but I finally got it workin. Now to go *gasp* ride.

Speaking of riding, there's a 'stage race' here this weekend. Too bad I'm gonna be at the Grand Canyon hashing. I'da LOVED to see how fat and outta shape I am 'officially.'

M
Old 05-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #4230
terry.mc
Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer: 5,780
I was rolling along the Platte today thinking "Man, all of these people coming from Denver sure don't look happy. I'd think that coming home from work would make them smile a bit more" and my next thought was "Boy this big ring sure is easy to spin in, all that rest over the last few days must have really been good for me. I'm cruising at 24 for dogs sake"

When I turned back South I figured it out. Headwind. Lots of it. Getting worse as the afternoon went on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: