Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 319 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2007, 09:32 AM   #4501
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
Perry, what king of geared bike are you going to get?
I put a deposit on this frame back in Febuary =

It's a leftover (06) Canondale System six, but it comes with integrated stem,fork, carbon crank and bottom bracket.

I took all the other compo's off my Dad's old Basso and will drop them into this new frame.

I test rode it a few times before committing, it's rock solid, built in Pennsylvania from a whole new concept of CF application, and that giant headtube felt indestructible.

I'm psyched!
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #4502
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
I put a deposit on this frame back in Febuary =

It's a leftover (06) Canondale System six, but it comes with integrated stem,fork, carbon crank and bottom bracket.

I took all the other compo's off my Dad's old Basso and will drop them into this new frame.

I test rode it a few times before committing, it's rock solid, built in Pennsylvania from a whole new concept of CF application, and that giant headtube felt indestructible.

I'm psyched!
I remember that now Perry. This thread is so active I tend to lose track. That is a very sweet frame. It's a lot of fun building one up from scratch too.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #4503
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514
My Raleigh SuperCourse. Bought new in 1968 for $110. I stripped it down circa 1980. Painted and upgraded everything except the frame, hubs and seat. This thread inspired me to start riding it again. Had to get new tires. I learned that 27" wheels are almost obsolete. That'll make ya feel old.

Eric
even in '68, high end bikes had tubulars, which are still the same 700c size. 700c clincher rims didn't become popular until the mid/late 70s as the first few rounds of them kinda sucked
Old 06-02-2007, 10:36 AM   #4504
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,467
Just got home from my first group ride...it was so much FUN!!!!!!

It was a level 1 ride and we went 24 miles and averaged 13mph, it was an excellent training tool as I rode behind a fella who normally rides level 4, he kept the pace like a metronome. I kept having the urge to just take off and ride faster but because I kept a steady pace (instead of my usual 17mph...10mph...17mph...10mph) I finished comfortably and my bum knee doesn't hurt so much.

Now we're gonna head out for Mexican! (oh,and Doc?...my girl bits don't hurt at all )
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #4505
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen
Just got home from my first group ride...it was so much FUN!!!!!!

It was a level 1 ride and we went 24 miles and averaged 13mph, it was an excellent training tool as I rode behind a fella who normally rides level 4, he kept the pace like a metronome. I kept having the urge to just take off and ride faster but because I kept a steady pace (instead of my usual 17mph...10mph...17mph...10mph) I finished comfortably and my bum knee doesn't hurt so much.

Now we're gonna head out for Mexican! (oh,and Doc?...my girl bits don't hurt at all )

I love guilt-free Mexican after a good ride. Enjoy all the chips and salsa you want.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #4506
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
ok, you freakin' peddle heads. The last time I rode a bike it had toe clips. I bought this bike last year, went to get on it, cant figure out how to clip these fucking shoes in. I put it up on the rack in the garage and now I just get constant flack from my wife about not riding the damn thing.
How do those frickin' things work?

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #4507
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by siemonw
ok, you freakin' peddle heads. The last time I rode a bike it had toe clips. I bought this bike last year, went to get on it, cant figure out how to clip these fucking shoes in. I put it up on the rack in the garage and now I just get constant flack from my wife about not riding the damn thing.
What kind of bike & pedals/shoes did you get?

Takes practice man, practice. Certain systems are easier than others.

Whatever one you use it'll be safer than toeclips, when you crash on those, your feet just ain't coming out, unless you're riding backwards.....
Old 06-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #4508
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
With most types, you clip the front in first, then drop your heel to lock your cleat to the pedal.

What kind of cleats?

SPD?

Look?

Crank Bros?

Speedplay?

Pics of different types are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipless_pedal
Old 06-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #4509
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 7,115
Quote:
I know it's backwards, but I'm sticking with the toe clips and not going clipless. I just like being able to get off and walk around normal.
KiLeR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #4510
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeR650
I know it's backwards, but I'm sticking with the toe clips and not going clipless. I just like being able to get off and walk around normal.
That's why I ride my roadie with mtb shoes. The cleat is protected by the tread on the soles and I can walk when I have to.

And I keep a pair of regular shoes in my desk so I don't have to take shoes when I ride my moto or pedal bike in to work.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #4511
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout
That's why I ride my roadie with mtb shoes. The cleat is protected by the tread on the soles and I can walk when I have to.

And I keep a pair of regular shoes in my desk so I don't have to take shoes when I ride my moto or pedal bike in to work.

+1

Old 06-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #4512
/
Brevitous

Oddometer: 6,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout

That's a great idea. Any advice on specific mtb shoe models?

/
/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #4513
/
Brevitous

Oddometer: 6,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
+1

You selling the fixie?

/
/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #4514
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by /

/
Mountain bike shoes rawk for real world riding.

It's mostly like shopping for any other shoes. Get something that fits. The additional detail is that you want to look for something fairly stiff. There aren't that many options out there and most stores only care a few so it might take you some shopping around.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #4515
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by /
I've got a pair of Specialized Taho MTB shoes that I'm pretty happy with. For day-to-day getting around, shorter road rides, and (duh) MTBing, they're fine. They're easy and comfortable enough to walk around in a decent amount, and I like that they look pretty low key -- non-cyclists probably won't recognize them as cycling shoes.

The one weak spot is that the sole isn't so stiff, and so they can contribute to hot spots on long rides. I'm finding that a pedal with a bit of a platform surrounding the retention mechanism mostly eliminates this, though.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: