Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #4501
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
What kind of bike & pedals/shoes did you get?

Takes practice man, practice. Certain systems are easier than others.

Whatever one you use it'll be safer than toeclips, when you crash on those, your feet just ain't coming out, unless you're riding backwards.....

Cannondale, with Shimano SPDs.

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #4502
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by siemonw
SPD's should be pretty easy to learn. I think the only easier are the Crank Bothers systems, since there's always 4 "entry" points, try their Candys type pedal.

You won't need to change shoes, just cleats, but they come with the Crank Bros. pedals.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #4503
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
SPD's should be pretty easy to learn. I think the only easier are the Crank Bothers systems, since there's always 4 "entry" points, try their Candys type pedal.

You won't need to change shoes, just cleats, but they come with the Crank Bros. pedals.

cool, thanks.

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #4504
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 48,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by siemonw
Loosen up the locks ... they are too tight
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #4505
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,354
I had to go out to the garage to remember what I still have. I haven't ridden any of them in 8 years - but at least they've been stored in HVAC...no rust on those steel bikes.

'95 Pinarello Stelvio (Dolmen tubes) - with Dura Ace/Campy stuff, Mavic wheels - I loved this bike and put thousands of miles on it.

'94 Lemond Gan (GLX tubes) - all Campy Record, with Mavic wheels & a set of Fiberflites (remember those?)

'94 Merlin MTB (rigid tail) - all custom stuff. Remember NukeProof & Ringle hubs? Has an Manitou 2 fork with the lightweight black stanchions. It was a trick bike in the day. This bike still has thumb shifters.

Time to start riding them again - but I am 40lbs heavier than I was 10 years ago

The funny thing is I used Bontrager MTB seats on my road bikes, and the Shimano SPD MTB pedals (heavy!) so I could wear my MTB shoes on the road bikes.

Made it easy to walk when I stopped at the bar at the end of a century for a beer or six.

Hair of the dog that bit me, Lloyd...
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #4506
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,338
Hi, my name's Mark and I'm a fat turd. Didn't always use to be this way, I used to live on a bicycle when I was in college. I've gotten back into it tho, got my fiancee and her folks involved too, which is great.

I bought a decent bike a couple years ago, and I put a total of 70 miles on it until last week, and I've already gotten 30+ more on it.

It's amazing how much bicycle technology has changed since 2002.
matey peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #4507
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 48,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by matey peeps
Hi, my name's Mark and I'm a fat turd. Didn't always use to be this way, I used to live on a bicycle when I was in college. I've gotten back into it tho, got my fiancee and her folks involved too, which is great.

I bought a decent bike a couple years ago, and I put a total of 70 miles on it until last week, and I've already gotten 30+ more on it.

It's amazing how much bicycle technology has changed since 2002.
You ain't killin' this thread.

Speaking of collective ... this is THE collective.

Now ... loose those pesky gears and try without coasting.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:30 AM   #4508
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Given how much I coast, that's like 200 Askel miles.
Heard that.

Perry - Dood, you kick ass!!
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 AM   #4509
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 32,085
Welcome to Matey Peeps and Gaspipe. Gaspipe that's some pretty hot old iron you have. I just replaced a worn out Manitou Sport fork on my Balance MTB from the mid 90's. The Sport and the 2 weren't much different.

I have three days off coming up and the wind is forecast to start blowing hard again. Go figure. I'm going to get into sailing.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 AM   #4510
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
I had to go out to the garage to remember what I still have. I haven't ridden any of them in 8 years - but at least they've been stored in HVAC...no rust on those steel bikes.

'95 Pinarello Stelvio (Dolmen tubes) - with Dura Ace/Campy stuff, Mavic wheels - I loved this bike and put thousands of miles on it.

'94 Lemond Gan (GLX tubes) - all Campy Record, with Mavic wheels & a set of Fiberflites (remember those?)

'94 Merlin MTB (rigid tail) - all custom stuff. Remember NukeProof & Ringle hubs? Has an Manitou 2 fork with the lightweight black stanchions. It was a trick bike in the day. This bike still has thumb shifters.

Time to start riding them again - but I am 40lbs heavier than I was 10 years ago

The funny thing is I used Bontrager MTB seats on my road bikes, and the Shimano SPD MTB pedals (heavy!) so I could wear my MTB shoes on the road bikes.

Made it easy to walk when I stopped at the bar at the end of a century for a beer or six.

Welcome BACK to the crank Gaspipe & Matey Peeps, I hope this thread inspires you the way it did me and others.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:58 AM   #4511
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
I am finnaly home

Total mileage 51 and change

Yeah ... took me the whole day but i went to a pool party on the way home.

Refueled there @ mile 48 and change with two cheeseburgers, one corona, two glasses of orange juice.

I guess i will be done till tuesday pretty much.
Nice fixed mileage Don, I wished I had a pool or cheeseburger yesterday on my ride

I just checked my computer, I did mine in approx. 3 - 1/4 hours, but some of it was through Harlem's worst traffic, and we stopped for deli sandwich and walked a bike shop while at the halfway point.

I actually flipped my wheel over at the halfway turnaround point from the 17 cog to the 19 cog side. The ride back had some long and nasty uphills so I was really glad I had the option.

Zodiac screwed with this post 06-04-2007 at 06:34 AM
Old 06-04-2007, 06:21 AM   #4512
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Kris Turner Third at Mugello

Kris, my training partner, finished on the podium Saturday at the Mugello round of the Redbull MotoGP Rookies Cup. Maybe the cycling is helping his endurance on the racetrack.
Link:http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=29193
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #4513
Dark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
WTB-Front Derailure

Looking for a front derailure for a 80's fuji 12 speed, double chainring, 29mm seat tube.
Anybody?
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:00 AM   #4514
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark
Looking for a front derailure for a 80's fuji 12 speed, double chainring, 29mm seat tube.
Anybody?
Easy score at any decent LBS.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #4515
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark
Anybody?
If you don't have any luck at your LBS try the "Classic & Vintage" sub-forum here.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: