Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 205 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #4651
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeR650
SPOKES: Are the flat areo-blade type spokes strong at all, or should they be relegated to race stuff only? Can they be laced in cross patterns or are they a radial only sort of affair? Do the hubs need to be special to accept them?
in order:
yes
nope
yes
nope
depends on the spokes. If yer running CX-Rays, no the hub don't need to be slotted. If you are running 14ga bladed, the hub DOES need to be slotted. Yer LBS may or may not have the slotting tool. I'm betting not...

I've built a few sets of wheels with bladed spokes. They're basically 14ga straight spokes that've been hammered flat. You can do anything with em that you can with a 'normal' spoke.

I rebuilt my Ritchey wheels with CX-Rays (Sapim). Went together well. At $2.10/spoke they're NOT cheep. The Ritchey hubs were slotted, but the CX-Rays don't need that to go thru the holes.

I'll letcha know how they do.

M
Old 06-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #4652
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
FWIW:
I test drove the Speedplay frogs for a couple hundred miles. I retired them to my wife's bike to be her first 'clipless' pedals. She likes them, but doesn't know any others. I went back to my junky SPDs and am very happy I did. I like the attached to the bike feel. With the frogs, I felt disconnected from the bike. I was also aware from the start that with their free float, the platform felt very very tiny.
Different strokes...

If you was riding road pedals, I'd say try the Zeros, but...

Time ATACs. Some of the freedom of the Frogs, just not all of it!

M
Old 06-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #4653
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,035
I tell ya, for road duty, I really love my Look Keo classics, the most platform I've ever had on a clipless, no cramping like I had on the eggbeaters.

You can choose the amount of float by the cleat (color option), and they have a nice rubber set of "cleat condoms" which protect them while walking and don't slip.

They fit in my backpocket too.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #4654
RLCanon
Adventure Arrrrr!

Oddometer: 368
I really like the Bebop pedals. Similar feel to the Speedplay road pedals but much more tolerant of grit and much lower cleat profile for walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Besides, it seems to aggravate em even more without being confrontational...
Some guy buzzed me on a divided 4 lane, even though there was no other traffic and he easily could have pulled entirely into the other lane. I gave him the "palms up/shoulder shrug/WTF?" gesture. A little later, I went past him in the left lane (I was turning left) at the next light and he yelled "You have a problem with me!?!?" I could see that he was seething with anger but stopped anyway and said "I guess I do have a little problem. When you passed me back there you came within a couple feet of me when you could have easily pulled completely into the other lane." He sneered "I didn't hit you, did I?" to which I surprisingly replied "Obviously not, but it wasn't very nice." He was completely dumbstruck. Traffic was moving by that point so that ended the interaction. "Wasn't very nice!" Ha ha! Channeling Mister Rogers worked a lot better in that instance than channeling Chuck Norris.
RLCanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #4655
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCanon
I really like the Bebop pedals. Similar feel to the Speedplay road pedals but much more tolerant of grit and much lower cleat profile for walking.

Some guy buzzed me on a divided 4 lane, even though there was no other traffic and he easily could have pulled entirely into the other lane. I gave him the "palms up/shoulder shrug/WTF?" gesture. A little later, I went past him in the left lane (I was turning left) at the next light and he yelled "You have a problem with me!?!?" I could see that he was seething with anger but stopped anyway and said "I guess I do have a little problem. When you passed me back there you came within a couple feet of me when you could have easily pulled completely into the other lane." He sneered "I didn't hit you, did I?" to which I surprisingly replied "Obviously not, but it wasn't very nice." He was completely dumbstruck. Traffic was moving by that point so that ended the interaction. "Wasn't very nice!" Ha ha! Channeling Mister Rogers worked a lot better in that instance than channeling Chuck Norris.
If he'd buzzed Stick Me, I'da prolly ripped him outta the car and gone all Chuck Norris on him. Buzzed me? Not as much. Its a rare occaision that I really wanna rip someone outta the car. Happens tho. Luckily, I haven't had the opportunity.

M
Old 06-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #4656
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I've been off the bike for a couple of weeks. I just scored an '07 xtr wheelset for $500 ($1k) retail.....and plan on racing it in the fall with a non-ust tire setup...I've heard mixed reviews but my racing friends and team mates have had great results. Anyone have experience running stans on ust rims with NON-ust tires??
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #4657
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 7,052

With some real wheels thats a bike you could ride around australia. Hypothetically....
KiLeR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #4658
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,355

You people owe me a lot of ice tea
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #4659
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,027
Well poop, my allergies are so bad that I can barely open my right eye it's so swollen....so no group ride today.

We're taking the kayaks out tomorrow though so that'll be a great time...you don't really have to be able to see to paddle a kayak.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #4660
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
I've been off the bike for a couple of weeks. I just scored an '07 xtr wheelset for $500 ($1k) retail.....and plan on racing it in the fall with a non-ust tire setup...I've heard mixed reviews but my racing friends and team mates have had great results. Anyone have experience running stans on ust rims with NON-ust tires??
It takes a bit more pressure to seat the beads, but I've had no problems mounting or removing them from the wheel. I ran the ust's for a while (Mavic), but eventually pulled the stems and went the standard route.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #4661
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,355
Fourty and change leisurely miles today.

I refuse to even up my "farmer's tan"
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #4662
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen
Well poop, my allergies are so bad that I can barely open my right eye it's so swollen....so no group ride today.
Hey, that was my excuse for today. You can't steal my excuse!

OK, so maybe I could open my eyes, but having spent at least an hour every day of this week on the bike, I was kind of lacking motivation today. I really want to try for 100 miles yet this weekend though.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #4663
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,228
Okay, dumb question.

First: I have been changing bike tires for eons. I can do it in my sleep.

I've got some old Shimano 535's on my Marin. The tires are a BEEEYOTCH to get on and off. So much so that I've got a flat and have busted my tire levers trying to get the thing off the rim.

Getting another wheelset is not an option. :brokeashell

I am going to have to slink to the LBS and have them change the tire for me.

Anyone ever had the Tire From Hell/Wheelset From Hell combo? Any ideas? Like I said, I can usually change a tire in notime flat so I'm a bit baffled. I've tried my old fave set of levers (broken now) and some Pedros and I'm looking at renting a jackhammer.

yes, right size tire on there.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #4664
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 7,052
Finesse with the dremel cutting wheel and buy a new tire.
KiLeR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #4665
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,228
I'm about ready to do that. Not sure whether I'm more pissed or embarassed at this point.

I'm gonna take it to the LBS.

If they whip that tire off there in no time flat, I'm gonna cry like an infant. If they struggle, I'll feel better.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: