Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 504 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #5056
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 6,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
Anyone in "average" shape to slightly better than average, can easily prep for a century in 10 weeks.

RW
Yes, if it's a relatively flat 100mi. And assuming they have the time to commit to it. My particular situation doesn't allow for the time required. I can ride 30mi comfortably. 50mi and I know I'm out there exerting myself. Beyond that and I need to really prep.

SoCal is NOT flat. I have to climb over 1000' each way to commute just 14.5mi to work and back.

The route planners here seem to get off on putting a 750'+ climb right around mile 85 of every century within 100mi of my house.

That's just for me. YakWife has next-to-no road experience (she still won't ride on streets, just bike paths. luckily, the SCV has 40mi+ of bike paths) and if I tried to put her on a 10-week training regimen, she'd give up cycling. I don't want that. I want a wife/riding partner that will be doing this until we're old and gray.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #5057
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
So, it's coming up on a year. Your thoughts on the past year???
Well, I've been through a few bikes already, went from the Klein MTN bike to the 17 yr old Basso, to the fixie, to the new Cannondale.

I think I learned that it never really goes away, the "instinct" for good bicycling. I guess you could say it's "just like riding a bike", I was pretty heavy into riding as a young teen, and it came right back to me - the natural feeling of handling a bike, but also having the sense to know when to change gears, when to slow my cadence, when to sprint up a hill where you don't know what's behind curve #3. It's all about a rythym in my eyes, either you have it or you don't.

I learned a great deal on how to wrench bikes, can basically do everything mechanically. I was always okay on maintenance, but now I can change out headsets, BB's, casettes, derailleurs, etc.

On my first rides I was so happy to ride 18 miles, and I did it more often on a weekly basis. Now I ride less but increased mileage on wknds, to around 60/80 miles a wknd, instead of through the weekdays. At first I was riding every other day because I had a different job which allowed that, now weekdays are next to impossible. I was losing weight more rapidly in the beginning, now I'm at a point where I have to make some food / diet- decisions along with training to break through the next barrier.

I've learned to ride with a group as well, and although it's been a good thing to learn, I still would rather not be following anyone, and I feel better solo on a lone country road. Pretty much the same as I do on the motorcycle. Me time, alone, and happy.

I've had a big problem with whether or not to ride the motorcycle or the bicycle on my days off, and I feel so freaking guilty if one is neglected over the other. Wierd I know.

In any event, this thread has enriched my life more than I ever thought it would when I first started it. I was even wondering if it was too audacious to name it "Bicycle thread" as it may not be the only one, or of any importance among serious bicyclist on this forum.

But I figured among the motorcycle banter, this would be a sort of island for two wheelers of a different kind.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:44 PM   #5058
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Thanks for starting it, Perry. You inspired me. I bought a roadie and started putting miles away because of this thread. I've enriched my relationship with my father-in-law as part of that, and we've even gotten my wife into cycling.

I know I'm healthier since I started cycling about 9 months ago.

I have more posts here than in any other thread.

Thank you so much for starting it.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #5059
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
+1

Great thread Perry. I'm off to bed. Early up to pedal. Shower, then off on the GS.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #5060
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout
Thanks for starting it, Perry. You inspired me. I bought a roadie and started putting miles away because of this thread. I've enriched my relationship with my father-in-law as part of that, and we've even gotten my wife into cycling.

I know I'm healthier since I started cycling about 9 months ago.

I have more posts here than in any other thread.

Thank you so much for starting it.
Once they kicked the political threads out, this here thread is where I spend lots of my JM time. There's good info to be gained here.

I'm hopin Stick Me will register 'soon.' If for nothin else than to learn about bicycles.

M
Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #5061
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,489
Can I play now

Giant OCR C3

Nothing special but something to get me riding again. The old Motobecane is just too heavy and hurts me in too many places (specially when I THINK I'm in the right gear and it slips... down tube shifters...yuck...)

Gerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #5062
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Once they kicked the political threads out, this here thread is where I spend lots of my JM time. There's good info to be gained here.

I'm hopin Stick Me will register 'soon.' If for nothin else than to learn about bicycles.

M
No doubt. Every day I have to check it. Sooo many folks doing something I love/envy/hate-cuz-it-hurts. And it's more fun than BF or the other bike boards because the question:answer ratio is so immediate.

YakWife still won't join. She considers this and the mailing list I'm on to be 'just your Internet friends'...

One day she'll get it, but I won't force it on her.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #5063
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg
Can I play now
Giant OCR C3

Nothing special but something to get me riding again. The old Motobecane is just too heavy and hurts me in too many places (specially when I THINK I'm in the right gear and it slips... down tube shifters...yuck...)
You can always play. Glad to hear you're spinning. Congrats on the new ride!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #5064
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
You can always play. Glad to hear you're spinning. Congrats on the new ride!
No shit. More is always mo bettah!

You'll be AMAZED at the differences in technology between yer Motobecane and the Giant. I would LOVE to have a Giant, but their sizing don't work for me.

Many happy -s

M
Old 06-29-2007, 09:48 PM   #5065
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
No doubt. Every day I have to check it. Sooo many folks doing something I love/envy/hate-cuz-it-hurts. And it's more fun than BF or the other bike boards because the question:answer ratio is so immediate.

YakWife still won't join. She considers this and the mailing list I'm on to be 'just your Internet friends'...

One day she'll get it, but I won't force it on her.
I've subscribed to this thead. Its how I get here so quickly/often.

M
Old 06-29-2007, 09:59 PM   #5066
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:

M
Bicycle Thread Junkie Forum Now!!!1!1!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #5067
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Bicycle Thread Junkie Forum Now!!!1!1!

M
Old 06-30-2007, 04:39 AM   #5068
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,478
Perry, I'm so glad you started this thread! I was starting to feel my MC addiction wane a bit and kept staring at my bicycle wondering "is this next?". Having a place among motorcyclists to talk/vent/learn about the other two wheels has been incredible. Thanks!
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:40 AM   #5069
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:

M
Me too. I decided to start reading all of the posts to learn more.
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #5070
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen
Perry, I'm so glad you started this thread! I was starting to feel my MC addiction wane a bit and kept staring at my bicycle wondering "is this next?". Having a place among motorcyclists to talk/vent/learn about the other two wheels has been incredible. Thanks!
I am too. Re-opened up a whole new world for me, kinda went full circle. I got my first motorcycle as a teen and it was the termination of my love affair with bicycles.

Sure I had a few in between, was a city commuter for a while, cranking through nyc traffic during college, but it never sucked me in like it has now.

As a device with no power source they have to be the most elegant, simple yet sophisticated designs ever man made.

What other self propelled object (that weighs 20lbs) can shoot you up to 40 mph, and cover 100 miles in a day?
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: