Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.77 average. Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #5056
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzflip
I may have to get back and read some of the older posts, but I thought 20 and above was what people were doing. Again, I am overweight and just learning, so I was hoping to improve as my free time allowed me to get some things done. Currently I am at softball games for 5 - 7 days a week, but that should end by the end of July, but volleyball will take over in September and I will start losing most, if not all of my free time.

Can you really go 30mph on the straights riding in a group??? I don't know of anyone riding in a group around here, but I have a few friends that are thinking about riding again. I am the only person thinking of doing triathlons in 2008. I would think with some of them we would be lucky to get the group to 20 mph.
What they all said.
We had a nice little group ride last night - 21 flat miles. Average speed for most was around 17 mph, including warm up and a few stop signs. When the faster few among us are pedaling at a nice clip but not trying to push it, we're usually going 19 to 20 on the flats with occasional mild sprint up to 25 to 28 or so. We are *not* a competitive group made up of some beginners and otherwise recreational riders.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:12 AM   #5057
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
OK, I am really a complete nooooooob at bicycles. Thanks for the information. I will try and get a longer ride in tonight, but I am riding on city streets and have a lot of corners and yield signs. I will try and time it and then check my mileage when I am done. I have already got my 5 mile run in today, and then I am going to "golf" with a good friend today and then I will try and get in 15 miles and see how much my average drops.

I am also a very overweight person for my 6'3" frame as I am at 240 pounds with a goal of 195 before the end of 2007. I am taking the weight off slowly and have changed my life style and I am not on a "diet". I am trying to bring biking into my change along with running/walking/elliptical/swimming/weight lifting/basketball/tennis/etc...

I have always loved being active, but I have been a spectator/coach for many years as my daughters have been growing up and it is hard to exercise when all you do is get off of work and head to an event for one of the kids. We take a lot of our own meals with us, rather than getting concession stand food. Some places get mad at us and make us leave our food outside, but most understand and don't have a problem.

I am going to try and get to my LBS next week and get the cyclometer purchased, and also a multi-tool and some tubes. Any suggestions on a good multi tool? What about a bag to carry the multi-tool and tubes in. Another stupid question? What does everyone do for a lock? I ride mine and then put it back into my locked garage, but what about if you ride to the store or to your gym or down town or etc..... ?

If too many questions, I can start a new thread, just ask me to do so.

flip18436572 screwed with this post 06-29-2007 at 08:39 AM
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:01 AM   #5058
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Flat miles... not where I live! Rolling hills all the way, baby. I'm averaging 12mph right now at three weeks into riding. Heck of a work-out. I want to empty the 'fridge everytime I get back in from a ride.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:19 AM   #5059
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,273
Cool2

Quote:
I am also a very overweight person for my 6'3" frame as I am at 240 pounds with a goal of 195 before the end of 2007. I am taking the weight off slowly and have changed my life style and I am not on a "diet". I am trying to bring biking into my change along with running/walking/elliptical/swimming/weight lifting/basketball/tennis/etc...

I am going to try and get to my LBS next week and get the cyclometer purchased, and also a multi-tool and some tubes. Any suggestions on a good multi tool? What about a bag to carry the multi-tool and tubes in. Another stupid question? What does everyone do for a lock? I ride mine and then put it back into my locked garage, but what about if you ride to the store or to your gym or down town or etc..... ?
Have a goal for yourself before the end of the year, say you put 1000 miles before the end of the year, that's about 5-6 miles a day every day, less than 20 minutes a day.

Find yourself some nice bike shorts, gloves, shoes, helmet and eye protection, everyting that goes onto your body will provide much needed comfort while riding. If you're uncomfortable while riding you won't like it and you'll ride less and less. Personally, I wear two pairs of padded bike shorts when I'm riding, nothing is more important than the comfort of my tush.

Best lock is no lock, keep bike in sight. I usually just take the front wheel off the bike if I have to leave the bike out of my sight, or leave bike somewhere there is reasonable amount of walking traffic.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:24 AM   #5060
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
To put it into perspective, Lance Armstrong couldn't ride a fixie into or out of my neighborhood (its that steep around here). So I feel pretty good about averaging 18.4 over 26 miles. Still want to break the 19 avg barrier though. Still riding the old Specialized Epic carbon (bought it in college in 1993) with 7 cogs and suicide shift.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #5061
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
I recently replaced a large multi-tool with a Topeak Toolbar -- it's got all the bits I need, but is more compact than a regular multi-tool with the same bits. This saves a bit of space in your bag, and makes the tool much easier to use. The big downside is the risk of dropping and losing some of the bits while you're on the side of the road. Unlike most large multis, the Toolbar doesn't include a chain tool, but the chain tool on my multi was lousy and I'd started carrying a separate folding chain tool, anyways.

For a bag, I'd say just find an underseat bag that'll carry your toolkit and spare tube, with some extra room left over. As with most stuff that attaches to your bike, it's best to have the bike handy while shopping so that you can see how it'll fit.

For locks, I use a compact U-lock. I've also got a large one, but always use the compact. A big lock gives more options WRT what objects you can lock your bike to, but is more trouble to carry around, and actually a bit less secure than a smaller 'U' -- with a big lock, it's sometimes possible to get a jack into the 'U' and use that to break it.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:25 AM   #5062
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
Have a goal for yourself before the end of the year, say you put 1000 miles before the end of the year, that's about 5-6 miles a day every day, less than 20 minutes a day.
Good luck.
I don' think I will be able to get in my hour workout everyday and then 20 - 40 minutes a day to bicycling also. I am not planning on making biking an everday event, unless when I change jobs, that I can bike to and from work everyday safely. It will depend upon daily schedules of my daughters, as they are taking # 1 priority. One has graduated high school and the other will be a sophomore this year. They will be gone soon enough.

I work out at 5:00 a.m. everyday of the week, and I am trying to make sure I get swimming, running, lifting, and bicycle. I swim on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, because the life guard opens earlier and it works better for my current schedule. I lift on Wednesday and Saturday, then run/walk on Monday and Friday. Sunday I usually will do a manual setting on the elliptical to keep my heart rate high.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:36 AM   #5063
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,316
Quote:
OK, I am really a complete nooooooob at bicycles.
One quick note:
Do NOT pay attention to the speeds we're all quoting here. Speed is very personal and is impacted by so many things - your physical condition, your stature/build, age, terrain, weather, bike, experience, etc. Put the miles in, focus on YOUR health, how you're responding to the ride, how you're improving, not your speed.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:41 AM   #5064
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,413
You don't really NEED a multi-tool if you have a 3, 4, 5, and 6mm allen wrench set from something else laying around. Rubber band em together to keep em quiet. Having said that... I like the looks of the Specialized and Crank Bros multi-tools.

TYPICALLY you don't need to do anything to a road bike that can't wait till yer done. I'm a mechanic, so I bring more stuff than I need, 'cause I've been the one fixin people's shit on the ride more often than not.

Mtn rides are another story... I've had to bodge some stuff together to make it home on more'n a few rides!

My list o goodies in my toolkit:
tube
CO2 inflator + presta adaptor
valve extender > taped to the extra CO2 cartridges
2 extra CO2 cartridges >
Ritchey tire levers with 5 and 6mm allens built in
separate 4mm wrench
glueless patch kit > in lid
3-way spoke wrench > in lid
piece of plastic to use as an emergency vest if the weather changes on me > in lid

I keep my stuff in a Niterider battery pack I got workin at a shop a few years back. Works well if yer riding somewhere suburban/rural where there's c-stores every 2 hours or so. More'n that and I gotta re-think my pocket strategy.

HTH

M
Old 06-29-2007, 08:41 AM   #5065
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
One quick note:
Do NOT pay attention to the speeds we're all quoting here. Speed is very personal and is impacted by so many things - your physical condition, your stature/build, age, terrain, weather, bike, experience, etc. Put the miles in, focus on YOUR health, how you're responding to the ride, how you're improving, not your speed.
+1....and if you're trying to lose weight, I would ditch the lifting and running for now....and focus on swimming and cycling. Both are low impact (important if you've got some meat on you right now) and both are GREAT for aerobic/anaerobic workout. Also, 20 min isn't much of a workout.

I'd lose the weight first, then worry about lifting if you wanna do that....just my opinion.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #5066
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Quote:
One quick note:
I am working on my health, but I also want to learn more about bicycles and what everyone is doing. I plan on riding as much as I can and work it around my other family plans.

I would still like to know what people are checking their heart rates and how it compares to their run/jog heart rate. For me to get to my run/jog heart rate, I would have to be working a lot harder than I am on my bike and run in 6th or 7th instead of 5th gear and keep my cadence at a lower per minute cadence.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #5067
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,413
Quote:
One quick note:
to add to that:

I could care less about 'average speed.' VERY bogus method of measuring yer progress. I've seen some guys SO anal retentive about beating their average speeds that they run lights, stop signs, etc. BAD juju.

Training to average speed means yer pushing into the 'no zone.' That's the range where its hard, but you can do it. 75-85% is roughly the 'no zone.' Lots and lots of guys ride there, but it ain't good training. If you wanna get faster, do sprints and intervals. Alternate these with SLOW (and I mean slow! Slow enough that you can whistle the whole time. ) rides for recovery and you'll get faster faster than the guys that are worried about beating their average speed every ride. Listen to me now, hear me later.

No be off with you! Go ride! (I'm headed to the garage to wire up the GS! )

M
Old 06-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #5068
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
to add to that:

I could care less about 'average speed.' VERY bogus method of measuring yer progress. I've seen some guys SO anal retentive about beating their average speeds that they run lights, stop signs, etc. BAD juju.

Training to average speed means yer pushing into the 'no zone.' That's the range where its hard, but you can do it. 75-85% is roughly the 'no zone.' Lots and lots of guys ride there, but it ain't good training. If you wanna get faster, do sprints and intervals. Alternate these with SLOW (and I mean slow! Slow enough that you can whistle the whole time. ) rides for recovery and you'll get faster faster than the guys that are worried about beating their average speed every ride. Listen to me now, hear me later.

No be off with you! Go ride! (I'm headed to the garage to wire up the GS! )

M
This is true....but some rides, it's ok to push it for 2 1/2 hours. Those are the rides I'd like to know my average speed (and time). If I ride a familiar route, I can compare times...it's fun to come into the last mile or so of a 52 mile ride and sprinting to beat the clock.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #5069
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
This is true....but some rides, it's ok to push it for 2 1/2 hours. Those are the rides I'd like to know my average speed (and time). If I ride a familiar route, I can compare times...it's fun to come into the last mile or so of a 52 mile ride and sprinting to beat the clock.
I won't ride above my head and run lights or signs to beat a time. I promise (where is the boy scout smilie).

I already do the interval work with run/jog/sprint/jog/walk and was thinking of doing a mile at a high heart rate and then bring it down, but that gets me back to the heart rate that people ride at. Maybe I will start my own charting and see what I come up with.

Thanks guys. I will ride this evening.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:27 AM   #5070
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
If you wanna get faster, do sprints and intervals. Alternate these with SLOW (and I mean slow! Slow enough that you can whistle the whole time. ) rides for recovery and you'll get faster faster than the guys that are worried about beating their average speed every ride. Listen to me now, hear me later.
IIRC, there've also been some studies showing that intervals are the better way to lose fat. With intervals, you won't burn as many calories during the actual exercise (because it doesn't last nearly as long), but afterwards your metabolism will be elevated, and the extra calories burned during this period will more than make up the difference. Also, intervals lead to better body composition -- more of the weight you lose will be fat (and less of it muscle) than with longer, lower-intensity exercise.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: