Western PA born and bread...
Bread, huh?

You got baked?!

M
Old 08-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #5912
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
So, I have been PM'ing Gummee, and decided I should ask a few questions of the others that post to this thread a lot. I don't have a LBS, as the closest is about 45 minutes to an hour away.

Do you do all of the work to your bike or do you use your LBS?

If you do your own work, do you have a wheel truing stand and do you have a bicycle repair stand?

If you have a stand what do you have and is it what you would purchase again?
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #5913
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
Konas have weird frame geometry, I hated them
It's your geometry that's off. Konas are fine.

RW
Old 08-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #5914
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Bread, huh?

You got baked?!

M
too many beers at lunch... sometimes it's good to be the boss!

RW
Old 08-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #5915
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572

If you do your own work, do you have a wheel truing stand and do you have a bicycle repair stand?

I do my own work. There's a good LBS very close to where I live whose work I would trust. But I like to tinker and don't mind spending money on tools, so I do my own work. I've been helped along in this by some repair classes at another local shop.

Between the cost of those classes and the bike-specific tools I've bought, I'm probably not saving any money. But it's fun, and I figure that this puts me in a better position to make a trail/road side repair if something breaks while I'm out on a ride.

I have a couple of "consumer grade" truing stands. The first was a Minoura Workman Pro, which I found flimsy to the point of being frustrating to use. The Park Tools TS-8 is considerably sturdier, but its feeler gauge is a PITA to adjust -- I'm probably going to kludge together an improvement, one of these days. I used a "shop grade" TS-2 in a wheelbuilding class, and it's much better than either of the stands I own.

I don't have a proper repair stand, but I have a cheap compact Nashbar "Stand By Me" that lifts the rear wheel off the ground -- good enough for tasks like derailleur adjustments and lubing the chain.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #5916
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
I'm a better wrench than most shop wrenches I know, so no, I wouldn't trust em with my bike(s). Been doing it longer than them...

Truing stand: I'm still using a hoopty Minoura that I got for free at some point in the past. Yes, its flimsy. Yes, I'm too cheep to buy the TS-2. You CAN use yer brakes and keep the wheel on the bike, but I've never had to. I could prolly do it, but I wouldn't like it.

Stands: I've worked in shops lots, so had access to the Park shop stands. Then I stopped and used a basic stand that grabbed the DT and held the bike by the BB. Worked. Nothing fancy. If you have wierd geometry or seriously oversized tubes, stay away. I'm gonna buy the PBS version of the Ultimate stand. Mostly because I'm gonna get a deal on it. I'd rather have the Ultimate, but ultimately, all the thing does is hold up a bike.

Buy tools as you go. Don't get the 'all in one' kit(s). There's some stuff that you don't need till you need it. If you know what I mean.

HTH

M
Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #5917
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

I will look at the Ultimate, but most of those stands look really cheaply built, and I figure the wouldn't be worth having.

I am going to hold off for a little while, as my semi-Local Bike Shop is doing a great job of keeping me and my wife happy. After two years the free service is gone, but I will probably go back there for more stuff and my wife is already starting a Christmas list for me.

Quote:
I'm a better wrench than most shop wrenches I know, so no, I wouldn't trust em with my bike(s). Been doing it longer than them...

Truing stand: I'm still using a hoopty Minoura that I got for free at some point in the past. Yes, its flimsy. Yes, I'm too cheep to buy the TS-2. You CAN use yer brakes and keep the wheel on the bike, but I've never had to. I could prolly do it, but I wouldn't like it.

Stands: I've worked in shops lots, so had access to the Park shop stands. Then I stopped and used a basic stand that grabbed the DT and held the bike by the BB. Worked. Nothing fancy. If you have wierd geometry or seriously oversized tubes, stay away. I'm gonna buy the PBS version of the Ultimate stand. Mostly because I'm gonna get a deal on it. I'd rather have the Ultimate, but ultimately, all the thing does is hold up a bike.

Buy tools as you go. Don't get the 'all in one' kit(s). There's some stuff that you don't need till you need it. If you know what I mean.

HTH

M
Old 08-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #5918
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I will look at the Ultimate, but most of those stands look really cheaply built, and I figure the wouldn't be worth having.

I am going to hold off for a little while, as my semi-Local Bike Shop is doing a great job of keeping me and my wife happy. After two years the free service is gone, but I will probably go back there for more stuff and my wife is already starting a Christmas list for me.

M
Old 08-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #5919
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Quote:

M
OK,

The bike shop is 45 - 60 minutes away from me, but they will do all of the service on the bike for two years for free on the three new bikes we have. I can do probably any of the work, as I have done everything mechanical on everything I have owned in my life, but since these guys are very good and very reliable, I will probably continue to use them. They have treated me right on the new bikes, and have given me better pricing and discounted when the two TREK dealers didn't really want my business. The other bicycle dealer didn't seem to want my business either by his attitude over the phone.

I have broken three spokes on the rear rim, and the LBS put on two new rims for me that are worth about as much as my bike was new at his discounted prices for me. He will work out the warranty crap somewhere else with his bike rep, but it didn't cost me anything and I got an upgrade. I was also headed towards Omaha, so it was dropping the bike off, and coming back later the same day to pick it up. I have also sent two other people his way to buy new bikes, so that might also be helping in the way he is treating me and my wife.

I am going to probably end up buying tools and the two different stands, but will probably use him for at least for the two years if anything major needs worked on, and also the free winter service that he will do for no cost.

I will look at the Ultimate that you are talking about, but that is going to have to wait, as I have some family things that are probably going to keep me away from the computer for about 10 days. I still don't know about a truing stand, but I may spend the money on that also at some point, but that is why I am asking what everyone else is doing.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #5920
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
OK,

The bike shop is 45 - 60 minutes away from me, but they will do all of the service on the bike for two years for free on the three new bikes we have. I can do probably any of the work, as I have done everything mechanical on everything I have owned in my life, but since these guys are very good and very reliable, I will probably continue to use them. They have treated me right on the new bikes, and have given me better pricing and discounted when the two TREK dealers didn't really want my business. The other bicycle dealer didn't seem to want my business either by his attitude over the phone.

I have broken three spokes on the rear rim, and the LBS put on two new rims for me that are worth about as much as my bike was new at his discounted prices for me. He will work out the warranty crap somewhere else with his bike rep, but it didn't cost me anything and I got an upgrade. I was also headed towards Omaha, so it was dropping the bike off, and coming back later the same day to pick it up. I have also sent two other people his way to buy new bikes, so that might also be helping in the way he is treating me and my wife.

I am going to probably end up buying tools and the two different stands, but will probably use him for at least for the two years if anything major needs worked on, and also the free winter service that he will do for no cost.

I will look at the Ultimate that you are talking about, but that is going to have to wait, as I have some family things that are probably going to keep me away from the computer for about 10 days. I still don't know about a truing stand, but I may spend the money on that also at some point, but that is why I am asking what everyone else is doing.
THAT part I got...

Its the 'cheaply made' thing I was ing about.

M
Old 08-24-2007, 05:21 AM   #5921
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

There isn't anyone that stocks them, and the pictures on the web sites makes them look like very small round tubing that wouldn't be very strong.
Quote:
THAT part I got...

Its the 'cheaply made' thing I was ing about.

M
Old 08-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #5922
ThomD
Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
There isn't anyone that stocks them, and the pictures on the web sites makes them look like very small round tubing that wouldn't be very strong.
We have this

AND this

Neither one was cheap, nor are they cheaply made.

The repair stand is plenty sturdy. I wouldn't try to hang my tandem off of it, but otherwise, it is good.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #5923
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

The part that looks cheap is the small tubing at the base of each of those bike stands. The look like they would either break or tip over. That is why I was not thinking they would hold up very long.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #5924
ThomD
Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
The part that looks cheap is the small tubing at the base of each of those bike stands. The look like they would either break or tip over. That is why I was not thinking they would hold up very long.
Ah, the small black connectors are not tubes. They are 3/16 thick flat stock.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #5925
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
So, I have been PM'ing Gummee, and decided I should ask a few questions of the others that post to this thread a lot. I don't have a LBS, as the closest is about 45 minutes to an hour away.

I do pretty much all my own work...I don't have a headset press or any chasing tools so I have my LBS do that stuff...but I only set up a new bike every couple years.

Otherwise, I have a can full of allen keys, a couple wrenches, screwdriver or two, chain tool, BB puller, cable cutter...maybe a couple other items but thats all I really need.

I have parks cheapest stand from 15 years ago and it works fine. I prop it up on a low bench to bring the bike up a bit.

If I was going to buy one, I'd get the Ultimate.

f.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: