Old 08-17-2007, 05:44 AM   #5911
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout
Public Broadcasting Service?

No, Mike works for Performance Bike.
Again. The Evil Empire still sux, but they've got lots of PT jobs for suckers like me that want the discounts. I have a pair of bikes to build... Since I'm a cheep bastage, I want the discounts, THEN I'll quit again.

M
Old 08-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #5912
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Again. The Evil Empire still sux, but they've got lots of PT jobs for suckers like me that want the discounts. I have a pair of bikes to build... Since I'm a cheep bastage, I want the discounts, THEN I'll quit again.

M
I wish I had a bike shop near me to learn enough from them and work on some bikes and then get some discounts. I already have two part time jobs and volunteer positions, so I don't have the free time. But, I would probably do it anyway.
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:54 AM   #5913
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I wish I had a bike shop near me to learn enough from them and work on some bikes and then get some discounts. I already have two part time jobs and volunteer positions, so I don't have the free time. But, I would probably do it anyway.
Park tools' website has lots of 'how to-s.' Read up and wrench away! You can't really screw it up beyond a shop's ability to fixify it.

Well, lemme clarify. You CAN screw up wheels iffen ya don't know what yer doing, but that's for later.

M
Old 08-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #5914
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,414
75 mile ride tomorrow.
I haven't ridden in 10 days since I fell down a neighbor's stairs knee first. Hmm...it's gonna be interesting.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:43 AM   #5915
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
75 mile ride tomorrow.
I haven't ridden in 10 days since I fell down a neighbor's stairs knee first. Hmm...it's gonna be interesting.

Yipes Gonna break the bad knee in with 75 miles ? Take it easy man.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #5916
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,455
Quote:
75 mile ride tomorrow.

After my MTB get off last week, my legs make me look like some kind of domestic violence victim.

Who's married to a midget.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #5917
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,593
Quote:
75 mile ride tomorrow.

That's what starts to happen when you get old, things like stairways become a whole new technical obstacle....

1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #5918
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
After my MTB get off last week, my legs make me look like some kind of domestic violence victim.

Who's married to a midget.
My girlfriend is almost a foot shorter than me, and I've been telling people all summer that the state of my legs is due to her beating me, not MTBing. Now she's got a bike of her own and we ride together about once a week, so she's accumulating her own set of bruises.

What I'm finding so far is that having a real MTB doesn't let me ride through much terrain that I couldn't handle on the cross bike -- it mostly just lets me go faster on the stuff I can already handle. And I don't crash less, I crash harder.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #5919
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody
My girlfriend is almost a foot shorter than me, and I've been telling people all summer that the state of my legs is due to her beating me, not MTBing. Now she's got a bike of her own and we ride together about once a week, so she's accumulating her own set of bruises.

What I'm finding so far is that having a real MTB doesn't let me ride through much terrain that I couldn't handle on the cross bike -- it mostly just lets me go faster on the stuff I can already handle. And I don't crash less, I crash harder.
Amazing that ain't it?! I can do almost the exact same trail on my cross bike and (before Stick Me appropriated it) my mtn bike. The mtn bike was faster in some areas, the cross bike in others. Maybe I need a 29-er?!

I know! Get a small 29-er and put DROP BARS on it!! That's a splendid idea! I like the rolling of the cross wheels/tires and I like the suspension of the mtn bike... :thinkinhard Hmmmmmm Could just work! I can be like John Tomac! Now about that Tioga disc...

M
Old 08-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #5920
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
:thinkinhard Hmmmmmm Could just work! I can be like John Tomac! Now about that Tioga disc...

M

Was thinking the same thing. Came across a box with my old "winning" magazines from 89-91 and saw the Johnny T mountain bike with drop bars- looked very cool.
And had the solid disk in back as well.

speaking of - http://www.mountainbikes.net/carbon/c26.htm
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #5921
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Amazing that ain't it?! I can do almost the exact same trail on my cross bike and (before Stick Me appropriated it) my mtn bike. The mtn bike was faster in some areas, the cross bike in others. Maybe I need a 29-er?!

I know! Get a small 29-er and put DROP BARS on it!! That's a splendid idea! I like the rolling of the cross wheels/tires and I like the suspension of the mtn bike... :thinkinhard Hmmmmmm Could just work! I can be like John Tomac! Now about that Tioga disc...
My MTB is a 29er. It's only slower than the cross bike on really smooth surfaces -- and pavement, obviously. On moderately rooty/rocky trails, it's noticably faster. I can't really compare it to a 26er MTB, because I haven't got much saddle time on one of those. I decided to go for the big wheels because they're reputed to offer more traction in loose stuff, which was one of the places that I felt the cross bike was limiting me. And I know it's not rational, but 26er MTBs feel kinda toy-like, to me.

I'm interested in the idea of putting dirt drops on the MTB -- I love the Midge dirt drop bar on the cross bike, and the flat bar on the MTB doesn't feel quite as natural or stable. But I'm going to give myself some time to adjust before I sink any money into an experiment. It looks like it may be hard getting a dropbar-friendly front shifter to work well with a MTB-friendly front derailler.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:10 PM   #5922
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
Was thinking the same thing. Came across a box with my old "winning" magazines from 89-91 and saw the Johnny T mountain bike with drop bars- looked very cool.
And had the solid disk in back as well.

speaking of - http://www.mountainbikes.net/carbon/c26.htm
Johnny T is at most of the amatuer MX nationals these days:

http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/etomac/Default.aspx
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #5923
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,050
29er

I'm in the market for a mountain bike with 29 inch wheels, front suspension, and disc brakes. Can you get a reasonable quality bike with these attributes for 600 or 700 dollars?

I've been riding my present bike for over 15 years, and it has evolved a lot with new parts and so on, but it's time for a new bike. It's worth it to me; I ride a lot.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #5924
JcbKarl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Hey Somebody, I'm running Ultegra STI levers with an Ultegra triple front derailleur on a 22,32,44 mtn bike crank and it's working just fine. Now this is all nine speed stuff by the way. STI levers won't work with Shimano mtn front derailleurs because the STI's don't pull enough cable - you won't be able to shift all three chainrings.

At least that's what I found.
JcbKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #5925
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,802
Quote:
75 mile ride tomorrow.

I've got a metric lined up tomorrow within spitting range of the Zaca fire.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: