Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 152 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #6016
ThomD
Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
What's the answer to soreness ? I see special creams in the local shop but I'm not sure how well they work. Would some better shorts do the trick, new seat ?

Any tips/brands/techniques would be most welcome
Saddle time is the answer to getting use to being on the bike.

Make sure your saddle is straight, maybe try a different saddle.

-t
Old 08-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #6017
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Can you define 'good shorts' Is it more padding/a type of padding or ??
Pearl Izumi shorts are what I have found are much better than two of the others that I have. If I am going to do any riding for an hour or longer they will definitely be the shorts I will wear.
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #6018
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,861
Quote:
Did my first 100 mile weekend this weekend (if you count Friday as part of a long weekend ) and I am pooped.

Enjoyed (most of) it but now I am having big issues with sensitivity in a special place

What's the answer to soreness ? I see special creams in the local shop but I'm not sure how well they work. Would some better shorts do the trick, new seat ?

Any tips/brands/techniques would be most welcome
I've had good comfort from my Pearl Izumi microsensors with 3D pad (insert).

The Assos is nice but expensive, and it's got a cold burning menthol feeling when you first put it on (like Gold Bond powder does), but it goes away after 5 minutes, and it's more of a anti rash/bacterial then a lubricant.

I've recently been using the Chamois Butt-r and it's great, super smooth too.

PS -more saddle time equals less saddle soreness, gotta develop the tolerance is all.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #6019
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,337
This is a Butt'r household. The lubes/butters are primarily just that - lube. As you pedal for a zillion strokes, you're rubbing skin on skin in those delicate spots.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #6020
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
assos chamois cream works

good shorts are also recommended

Flaco
Noxema
Bag Balm
Udder Balm
etc

All eliminate chafing, etc. Soreness usually means that something don't fit right.

Sitting there toodling = lots of weight on the seat... Even I get sore iffen I'm just oozing.

M
Old 08-27-2007, 05:40 AM   #6021
volbeat22
n/a

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
You really need to list your drug allergies and chronic diseases, such as Diabetes, Hemophilia, Asthma and the like.
I have none.

What is the medical abbreviation for "no known allergies?"
volbeat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 AM   #6022
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,290
Cool2

After 40,000+ miles on bicycles between 1992 and now, I've been wearing two pair of shorts on bike rides for double the padding since 1996.

Nothing is more important than the comfort of my toosh, on or off the bike, I want to be like Lance but not that way (sans balls).

Assos were once my fav. shorts and I still have a few pairs of them. nowadays I just wear whatever shorts I have available, but always two pairs. I prefer bibs over regular shorts for the lack of compression around the waist.

I find baby poweder work better than cream, don't get that wet feeling in the crotch as you ride.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #6023
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
After 40,000+ miles on bicycles between 1992 and now, I've been wearing two pair of shorts on bike rides for double the padding since 1996.

Nothing is more important than the comfort of my toosh, on or off the bike, I want to be like Lance but not that way (sans balls).

Assos were once my fav. shorts and I still have a few pairs of them. nowadays I just wear whatever shorts I have available, but always two pairs. I prefer bibs over regular shorts for the lack of compression around the waist.

I find baby poweder work better than cream, don't get that wet feeling in the crotch as you ride.
Thanks Cat for the great tip. I have a couple pairs of shorts and some baby powder so, being frugal, I may try that first before splashing out on some new gear.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:50 AM   #6024
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020

Damn, with 2 pairs of shorts and powder, your crotch must be like a cream cheese factory

I think I f I wore 2 pairs of shorts I'd die of heat exhaustion through my ass

1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:31 AM   #6025
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,074
Puke support your lbs - dammit

Took last week off, needed to be away from work. Pedaled every day! Got my older giant cadex 980c rolling again, forgot what a nice ride that was. Stopped in my LBS because I needed tubes. Decided to look into new jersey and shorts. Young dude helping me ( with plates and screws holding his clavical together) tells me - we have our '06 team gear on sale -"you can help support you local shop". I says ok and get jersey, shorts and socks as a package deal. Get up early on Saturday looking to get a ride in prior to traffic. I ask S.O. if she wanted to ride. Might as well , well neato !
Most enjoyable ride ever, even if it was only 10-12 miles. I let her lead as there was no wind and she could ride her own pace. Passed her near the end and she giggled . What's up I ask. I'll tell you once we get home she replies.

We get home I say what was the giggling for ? She had a one word answer "buttcrack".
Turns out the white section on the rear of the shorts is quite see through . Dammit dammit dammit. This is the 2nd time and last I wore them.

merc - rear end pain usually seat related. Are you still running the seat that came with it ?
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:36 AM   #6026
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
Took last week off, needed to be away from work. Pedaled every day! Got my older giant cadex 980c rolling again, forgot what a nice ride that was. Stopped in my LBS because I needed tubes. Decided to look into new jersey and shorts. Young dude helping me ( with plates and screws holding his clavical together) tells me - we have our '06 team gear on sale -"you can help support you local shop". I says ok and get jersey, shorts and socks as a package deal. Get up early on Saturday looking to get a ride in prior to traffic. I ask S.O. if she wanted to ride. Might as well , well neato !
Most enjoyable ride ever, even if it was only 10-12 miles. I let her lead as there was no wind and she could ride her own pace. Passed her near the end and she giggled . What's up I ask. I'll tell you once we get home she replies.

We get home I say what was the giggling for ? She had a one word answer "buttcrack".
Turns out the white section on the rear of the shorts is quite see through . Dammit dammit dammit. This is the 2nd time and last I wore them.

merc - rear end pain usually seat related. Are you still running the seat that came with it ?
Zippy - yes. Coincedentally, the seat arrived with a small cut in it (bought my bike from bikesdirect) and after a couple email exchanges they sent me a new seat (great customer service BTW) so I was thinking I might try that. The seat that came with the bike has a more pleather finish to it and the seat they sent me as a replacment has more of a fabric finish to it - I am wondering if it might be better with regards to sweat dispersion... I will swap them out tonight and try it.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #6027
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Zippy - yes. Coincedentally, the seat arrived with a small cut in it (bought my bike from bikesdirect) and after a couple email exchanges they sent me a new seat (great customer service BTW) so I was thinking I might try that. The seat that came with the bike has a more pleather finish to it and the seat they sent me as a replacment has more of a fabric finish to it - I am wondering if it might be better with regards to sweat dispersion... I will swap them out tonight and try it.

The seat that came on the bike I got from them was a torture device ! I even tried it on my carbon bike and at about 20 miles in comes sheer agony. I replaced the seat with a selle italia gel flow slk. Pricey yes but can ride until my legs can't with no rear end discomfort. That doens't mean it will be the right seat for you but(t)....... . Checkout the many styles available. I have never heard anything bad about brooks either .

we need to start a parts swap so people don't have to buy to try
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #6028
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Thanks Flaco. I'll look for that cream.

Can you define 'good shorts' Is it more padding/a type of padding or ??
My theory is that the assos chamois cream sticks the pad to one's posterior so the saddle chaffes on the pad...instead of the pad sticking to the saddle and chaffing on one's posterior.

It's a cooling menthol feeling...I wouldn't describe it as a 'burning feeling'.

For shorts...just about any shorts that make your eyes bug out when you see the price are good. Try to hit a discount place or swap meet for the best prices. I like Pearl and Assos but I have also had good luck with many other brands. My favorite shorts are Castelli but they cost a fortune.

Conversely, any shorts that make you think, 'Wow, at that price I can afford two pair' are not going to be good.

More time on the saddle will also help a ton.

Flaco

Flaco
Old 08-27-2007, 09:50 AM   #6029
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
My theory is that the assos chamois cream sticks the pad to one's posterior so the saddle chaffes on the pad...instead of the pad sticking to the saddle and chaffing on one's posterior.

It's a cooling menthol feeling...I wouldn't describe it as a 'burning feeling'.

For shorts...just about any shorts that make your eyes bug out when you see the price are good. Try to hit a discount place or swap meet for the best prices. I like Pearl and Assos but I have also had good luck with many other brands. My favorite shorts are Castelli but they cost a fortune.

Conversely, any shorts that make you think, 'Wow, at that price I can afford two pair' are not going to be good.

More time on the saddle will also help a ton.

Flaco

Flaco
Somewhere up above I posted the progression of cylcing shorts...

I'm not gonna go search for it, but to remind y'all: there's a progression in cycling shorts. From $20 to $100+

M
Old 08-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #6030
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Damn, with 2 pairs of shorts and powder, your crotch must be like a cream cheese factory

I think I f I wore 2 pairs of shorts I'd die of heat exhaustion through my ass

Don't knock it until you try it. I've pedaled enough miles to know what works when my ass's comfort is on the line.

I much rather be a little warm/hot than wet crotch or having rash on my ass, pedal faster you fool.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: