Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #6031
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
Don't knock it until you try it. I've pedaled enough miles to know what works when my ass's comfort is on the line.

I much rather be a little warm/hot than having rash on my ass, pedal faster you fool.
If you're putting that much padding down there, wouldn't it just be easier to put some extra padding on the saddle?

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #6032
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,289
Extra padding on the saddle will move out of position as you pedal, especially at high cadence/mileage, better to have padding that conform and move with your body, in which case.. extra fat near the buttock region.. but in my case: 5'10" 140 lb. dressed, about 6% bodyfat.. not much padding get down between the legs, therefore 2 pair of short. Try it for 20 miles and decide for yourself.
Hell, when I used to wear 2 pair of bike shorts to ride my LC4 Adventure if I know I'll be riding for more than 2 hours in one strech. Like I said before, nothing is more important than the comfort of my toosh, your toosh may not be as important.

Cat0020 screwed with this post 08-27-2007 at 12:06 PM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #6033
knary
sunshine and puppies

I'm not criticizing (like some ), I'm simply trying to understand. It would seem like you could simply buy a seat that offers more padding, not pennytech a pile of foam on a seat.

I've tried it and found it hot, weird, and restrictive. The shorts aren't loose enough to comfortably layer them like that. But then I'm you're height with another 45 lbs.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 08-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #6034
knary
sunshine and puppies

We did a little gear shopping the other day. I'm a very generic size - 5'10" or so, 180-185 lbs. This translates to a size large in most brands of jerseys and shorts. And if not a large, I'm an extra large!! I know, I know. It's all euro sizing aimed at the twiggy cyclists (see the double short guy above), but jeebus. Even the U.S. brands don't seem to understand how big an average person is. I can't imagine what it would be like to be an overweight or otherwise BIG person shopping for this stuff.

The one unpleasant exception was found in the bottom of the barrel gear. The cheap stuff runs to size.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 08-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #6035
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,289
With the experience of working at retail bicycle stores since 1996, I would not recommend heavily padded saddle for riding other than recreational/casual/leisure type riding.

More padding on the saddle would likely restrict the rider's leg movement.
With more padding on the saddle the rider would bounce on the saddle rather then being supported, like a pogostick or poorly damped suspension.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #6036
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
I can't imagine what it would be like to be an overweight or otherwise BIG person shopping for this stuff.
It's actually kind of funny. Walmart thinks I'm a "Large". I'm anywhere from XL to XXL in bike clothes. And that's american sized bike clothes. There probably isn't enough space on the tag to get all the X's you need to fit european bike clothes on me.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #6037
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
You bought the Spin Doctor Pro G3???? Let me know what you think of it after you use it for a while.

I did a short ride for you guys, but I did 20 miles in 1:10 and was going for more, but just about got hit by a an old lady that was probably headed to church. She didn't look and never saw me. I decided it was better to come home and do something else. I am just about ready to buy one of the CO2 air blaster horns to mount on my bicycles. And no I don't live in a big city and no, we don't have any bike trails.
First use:

There's no nifty ratcheting mechanism like on the Ultimates, but I'll deal with it.

Seems sturdy enough for a home/folding workstand.

I've used better. I've used worse. This one ranks up there towards the top tho. outta 4.

M
Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #6038
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,439
Quote:
We did a little gear shopping the other day. I'm a very generic size - 5'10" or so, 180-185 lbs. This translates to a size large in most brands of jerseys and shorts. And if not a large, I'm an extra large!! I know, I know. It's all euro sizing aimed at the twiggy cyclists (see the double short guy above), but jeebus. Even the U.S. brands don't seem to understand how big an average person is. I can't imagine what it would be like to be an overweight or otherwise BIG person shopping for this stuff.

The one unpleasant exception was found in the bottom of the barrel gear. The cheap stuff runs to size.
If yer buyin Euro stuff, I'm an XXL/size 5. American? Large. SOME stuff I can get into a 4/med but that's getting rarer and rarer.

Ya gotta remember the Euro high end stuff is for the 'serious' cyclist. They tend to be real thin and shit. I'm not. Pearl Izumi seems to understand American sizing. Ditto with Voler, but they still have the seam thru the crotch.

Good luck!

M
Old 08-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #6039
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
It's actually kind of funny. Walmart thinks I'm a "Large". I'm anywhere from XL to XXL in bike clothes. And that's american sized bike clothes. There probably isn't enough space on the tag to get all the X's you need to fit european bike clothes on me.
Thank doG for that. I tried some stuff on at the local REI. 2X my arse
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #6040
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,858
Quote:
I'm not criticizing (like some ), I'm simply trying to understand. It would seem like you could simply buy a seat that offers more padding, not pennytech a pile of foam on a seat.

I've tried it and found it hot, weird, and restrictive. The shorts aren't loose enough to comfortably layer them like that. But then I'm you're height with another 45 lbs.
Yeah I think I'd lose all circulation with 2 pairs of bike shorts on.

Then again I ain't as skinny as that.

Still, how do you even bend at the waist with two pairs on
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:51 PM   #6041
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Yeah I think I'd lose all circulation with 2 pairs of bike shorts on.

Then again I ain't as skinny as that.

Still, how do you even bend at the waist with two pairs on
Wear a slightly bigger size as the outer pair
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #6042
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Wear a slightly bigger size as the outer pair

seems like alot of work, instead of just buying a padded seat...

1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #6043
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,056
I got back into bicycling recently. I borrowed a bike from my brother so my girlfriend could tag along. She really liked it so we bought her a bike. I've already discovered Pearl izumi shorts, so getting away from the current clothing discussion for a minute I have a different question:

Assuming I'm still into bicycling next spring, should I just buy a bike or should I build a bike?

Now before you answer that please read about my intended useage. I'm not doing any crazy distances at this point (about 50 miles in a 24 hr period on the weekends) and may never get to due to a physical disability, but I really am enjoying the hell out of riding at this point. I'm riding my now 17 year old Trek 1100. I've put some SPD pedals on it, gotten some decent shoes, new rubber, retaped the handlebars, lubed, trued, tweaked, and adjusted as needed. It is performing flawlessly, but my trip to the bike store yesterday revealed the fact that even an entry level Trek is lighter and much nicer than my 1100. The result of nearly two decades of progress has me really intrigued. I'm all about fit, comfort, and shedding bike weight and friction within reason even though I'll never compete.

I'm thinking full carbon. I don't want to burn 5 grand on a bike, but I don't mind parting with some cash to get something really nice. However, as I was riding today I was wondering about the merits of things like selecting frames and cranks specific to my body geometry. I'm a very mechanical guy and wouldn't hesitate to build a bike if it yielded some obvious benefits, but if dropping a grand or two on a name brand will yield me approximately the same thing or if I can just buy something very close right off the shelf why go through the hassle?

What do you think?
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #6044
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Bueller,
You can find a good rig on the shelf of a LBS, or through mail order. Saddle, stem length, and bar width would be variables not addressed by a pre built bike. Crank length probably won't be a problem as most frames have the appropriate length cranks spec'd from the factory. A good LBS will switch out these things to fine tune your position. I would always make it a point to have the customer properly positioned on their new bike even if it cost us a few dollars to switch out parts. But shops have changed in the last twenty years, I don't know if that level of service still exists. Building is the way to get exactly what you want, and is what I do. You would probably get more bang for the buck with a pre built rig though. Weight is something that I wouldn't get too hung up on (within reason) proper fit is much more important, and you're on target for that. One of my favorite bikes is a 17 year old Casati that is in the 22lb range, but it is so sweet. FYI, I have a carbon frame set for sale in the flea market too :http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254531

vfr700 screwed with this post 08-27-2007 at 05:41 PM
vfr700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #6045
ThomD
Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller

What do you think?
I think that if you just got back into riding and you enjoy your current bike, sit on your money for a year. Then you'll know if it is worth spending money on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: