Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #6136
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom
Jesus Christ! Can't we all just get a bong? This was a thead about enjoying cycling, not a debate over which bike is better, or whose Johnson is bigger. I love any bike with 2 wheels, so get back on topic and take this bickering elsewhere... Thanks
Shut up

Mine isn't bigger.
My bike isn't better.
And having those two wheels just makes it a bike, not something worth loving. Fuggin' hippie.

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #6137
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody
So do you just never bother putting air in your tires? After all, it's apparently still fun to ride a multispeed bike with flat tires.

Seriously, are you nuts? I wouldn't ride any bike any distance with a flat. I'd get off and fix it, or if I didn't have tools handy, would start walking home or call a cab or a friend to come pick me up. Tires are expensive, and wheels even more so, and riding on flat tires will tear both up pretty quick.
I was merely trying to prove a point, given the same mechanical failure of a falt occuring on a bicycle, singlespeed or multi-speed; at least with a multi-speed bicycle you have a easier time riding on a flat than a singlespeed bicycles.

When the flat occurs 10 miles from civilization on a trail similar to your picture and you don't have the necessary tools with you (plus 115 degrees in the shade).. would you hike your bike for 10 miles back to civilization? or just sacrifice a tire and ride it out?

If you do decide to ride it out, it would be much easier to ride with multi-speed bike, would you disagree with that?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #6138
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
Have you got the skill to take care of your bike if need to? I do, and I choose not to ride a singlespeed because they are not as efficient as a multi-speed bicycle.
Yes, I do. Do you honestly think my frankenbike came built like that? Please do not assume you are better at maintaining your bike, than I am at maintaining mine, simply because yours has more than one gear.

No one ever asked you to explain why you ride a geared bike. You were the one that shunned single speed/fixed gear riders, and said how you yourself couldn't come up with a good answer to why people ride them. When we provided good reasons, you got agressive and tried to prove superiority of geared bikes. And when that failed, you tried to prove superiority of geared bike riders, and their mad derailleur fixing skills.

As a side note, you are correct... it is not as much fun to ride with a flat tire, than with an inflated tire.

But, since you have presented this situation of mechanical failure... When a geared bike's derailleur fails, miles from home, and binds up making it impossible to ride, what do you do? "without the necessary tools with you" "Given the same mechanical failure" on a single speed... oh wait.

Speaker screwed with this post 08-30-2007 at 01:36 PM
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #6139
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,303
Quote:
there is no reason to go back to singlespeed once the multi-speed bicycles have become widely available.

Well if you haven't ridden a fixie (I too, see no point in a SS myself but-) then you really don't know what you're missing.
It's improved my riding by light years, and is not only very enjoyable to ride but therapeutic in it's own way.

It's a smooth transition of drive power, almost instant/direct. No noise, clatter or chafing of derailleurs, so you can turn on the music and just go.
It also allows you to keep a set pace which you don't normally do with a roadie, especially if another roadie passes you.

It makes you about 80% more aware of the road and the route to take then a regular roadie, you learn to pace yourself and push yourself through hilly areas. Your cadence becomes like a metronome.

- The whole fixie thing in NYC messenger culture is alive and well, there's about 100 of them parked outside my office right now, and they ain't posing, these are dirty well used machines ridden by on avg. black/hispanic/island dudes. Fixies keep them at the same speed of the traffic flow, and when the traffic stops they just squirt on past.

It originally started with the Rasta/Island guys who bought track bikes in the 70's since that was what they were used to riding in the islands. These bikes had no parts to really steal, and had very little maintenance issues if say a cab punted you off the road. Simple and cheap/ super reliable, especially in a city that get's alot of bad weather. If you crash or drop a fixie there's no out of whack derailleurs to bug with. It's also harder to steal a wheel since most fixies have bolt on hubs, not QR's.

Yeah, you may not get derailleur issues on a wknd roadie out in the burbs, but you park a roadie in the big city where everything from palatte jacks to garment rollers slam everything and anything that's not mobile (see parked bicycle), you see why = the minimalist approach saves you alot of headaches.

Yeah sure they're in fashion now, so what? If it gets people onto bicycles again I'm all for it. I mean, do you really need 21 speeds to ride through a flat city? It's bicycling in it's raw form, what's not to like?
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:29 PM   #6140
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody
I just find the slagging on singlespeeds and fixies as a "fad" annoying.
But it largely is a fad.
That doesn't mean people aren't having fun.
Fads are the way most live in this country. Bouncing from one "new" idea to the next. It's that whole consumerism and the social animal thing mashing together to produce an ever illusive truth.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 08-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #6141
knary
sunshine and puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
If it gets people onto bicycles again I'm all for it. I mean, do you really need 21 speeds to ride through a flat city? It's bicycling in it's raw form, what's not to like?
And when everyone gets on a bicycle, some guy will boldly walk.

Goodbye Toolfan
Old 08-30-2007, 01:32 PM   #6142
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
I was merely trying to prove a point, given the same mechanical failure of a falt occuring on a bicycle, singlespeed or multi-speed; at least with a multi-speed bicycle you have a easier time riding on a flat than a singlespeed bicycles.

When the flat occurs 10 miles from civilization on a trail similar to your picture and you don't have the necessary tools with you (plus 115 degrees in the shade).. would you hike your bike for 10 miles back to civilization? or just sacrifice a tire and ride it out?

If you do decide to ride it out, it would be much easier to ride with multi-speed bike, would you disagree with that?
What decent bicyclist with a good bicycle would even THINK of riding a bicycle 10 miles with a flat.....

"Sacrifice a tire".... how about the rim ?

What if it's a front flat?

I'm sorry but that's about the worst point I've seen made in this thread.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #6143
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by knary
But it largely is a fad.
That doesn't mean people aren't having fun.
Fads are the way most live in this country. Bouncing from one "new" idea to the next. It's that whole consumerism and the social animal thing mashing together to produce an ever illusive truth.

Painting was a fad back in France, around the Post Impressionist era.....

Old 08-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #6144
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker
But, since you have presented this situation of mechanical failure... When a geared bike's derailleur fails, miles from home, and binds up making it impossible to ride, what do you do? "without the necessary tools with you" "Given the same mechanical failure" on a single speed... oh wait.
Find some grass and stuff the flat tire with whatever soft plant you could safely use.

I weigh in at 135 lb., I rarely damage rims riding on a flat.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #6145
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:

Ya know they sell this thing called a spare tube. Takes about all of 3 minutes to change a flat.

lightweight.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #6146
Speaker
What's an estart?

Quote:
Find some grass and stuff the flat tire with whatever soft plant you could safely use.

What does grass have to do with a broken derailleur?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #6147
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
What decent bicyclist with a good bicycle would even THINK of riding a bicycle 10 miles with a flat.....

"Sacrifice a tire".... how about the rim ?

What if it's a front flat?

I'm sorry but that's about the worst point I've seen made in this thread.
Just because you've never been outside of civilization that would require you riding on a flat tire, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

I weigh in about 135 lb., I rarely damage rims when I ride with a flat tire.

Front flats are tricky, but not impossible to ride on.. there is a speed threashold that the bicycle actualy becomes more stable at certain speed with a front flat than say traveling at speed below that threashold. Most people tend to slow down significant;y when a front flat occurs, but if kept going at certain speed, traveling straight with a front flat is manageable.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #6148
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaker
What does grass have to do with a broken derailleur?
I was giving example to fix the equal mechanical failure, such as a flat, obviousely singlespeed bicycles do not have derailleurs to fail, hense no an equal mechanical failure.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #6149
Speaker
What's an estart?

Answer the question. Since we're comparing they "ease" of riding with a mechanical failure between single speed and geard bikes.

Is it easier to ride with a broken derailleur on a geared bike, or a broken nothing on a single speed?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #6150
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 7,062
'One gear VS the world' is starting to feel alot like 'Harley VS the world.'
KiLeR650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: