Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
HO-LEE COW!!

Talk about spendy!!

M
I shudder at the thought of all the times that I tossed those into the bin. Oops.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #7532
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King
I shudder at the thought of all the times that I tossed those into the bin. Oops.
Makes ya think the pack rats are on to somethin, huh?

M
Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #7533
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Makes ya think the pack rats are on to somethin, huh?

M
Is this something that the bike shops might have sitting around in the "junk" bin that you guys talk about????

I have not seen one of those at the shop I frequent, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #7534
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,602
Quote:
Some of them vintage doods are just nucking futs!

M

Almost like baseball cards....
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #7535
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Almost like baseball cards....
I am glad I sold all of my sports cards many years ago. I wonder how much my O.J. Simpson rookie card would be worth today. A lot or nothing?????

I do unfortunetly still have the first 64 KISS cards somewhere. They are worth "0" also.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #7536
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Chances are, yer not gonna find anything like that Campy F. Der in yer LBS's bin o' parts. It either got recognized for what it was and kept, or not recognized and tossed.

Old stuff? Sure. Old stuff that's worth $$? Prolly not.

Don't help to look tho!

M
Old 11-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #7537
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Chances are, yer not gonna find anything like that Campy F. Der in yer LBS's bin o' parts. It either got recognized for what it was and kept, or not recognized and tossed.

Old stuff? Sure. Old stuff that's worth $$? Prolly not.

Don't help to look tho!

M
The LBS that I worked at was run by an elderly woman that grew up during the Depression and a heroin junkie son. Between the two of them, everything got saved. Rusty skip tooth chains, wooden rims, pre-War inner tubes (really), every zip tie and rubber band from a new bike box, pedals w/o a mate, old crappy Campy parts, bizarre Sturmey Archer hubs, Biopace, glitter banana seats, and practically every Schwinn known to man. You name it, it was there. Bitchin' set of tools, too. My favorite truing stand was from early 1900's (I could fit my motorcycle wheels in it).

Ebay helped unearth a lot of the old goodies but they're still around. Tweakers will always hoard their bike parts. You just have to wait for them to die.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:15 PM   #7538
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Gummee, I was just thinking about the parts you were looking for that never seem to show up on craigslist.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #7539
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,039
yeah, be a rare old bike shop that had any 1950s campi stuff in a junk bin. of the good bike shops I remember in the sfba from the 60s/70s, not many are left, and the few that survived are hardly recognizable.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #7540
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King
The LBS that I worked at was run by an elderly woman that grew up during the Depression and a heroin junkie son. Between the two of them, everything got saved. Rusty skip tooth chains, wooden rims, pre-War inner tubes (really), every zip tie and rubber band from a new bike box, pedals w/o a mate, old crappy Campy parts, bizarre Sturmey Archer hubs, Biopace, glitter banana seats, and practically every Schwinn known to man. You name it, it was there. Bitchin' set of tools, too. My favorite truing stand was from early 1900's (I could fit my motorcycle wheels in it).

Ebay helped unearth a lot of the old goodies but they're still around. Tweakers will always hoard their bike parts. You just have to wait for them to die.
I need a straight rear axle with decent cones for a Sturmey-Archer type SBR rear drum brake, this was a freewheel hub, from the late 70s... think they might have one in their junk bin they'd part with for, say.... $20 ?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #7541
ceeco
two wheels at a time

Oddometer: 201
There is something weird about that e-bay auction. Checking the bid history it looks like the same guy has bid on this over and over. The initials change but the asteriks and their arrangement are the same?? Looks fishy to me......
ceeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:46 PM   #7542
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeco
There is something weird about that e-bay auction. Checking the bid history it looks like the same guy has bid on this over and over. The initials change but the asteriks and their arrangement are the same?? Looks fishy to me......

nah, what that means is the one dude set a pretty high bid, and ebay is matching+1 some other turkeys bid. so each time the other turkey tries to bid, the first guy's original bid is higher, so it 'wins'.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #7543
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
nah, what that means is the one dude set a pretty high bid, and ebay is matching+1 some other turkeys bid. so each time the other turkey tries to bid, the first guy's original bid is higher, so it 'wins'.
And as long as the seller is willing to send the extra money from the cashier's check back...
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 PM   #7544
pierce
Aven'Tourer

imho, smart ebay bidders put in one bid, at the last possible moment (say, 10 seconds before close) for the maximum they feel the merchandise is worth.

if someone bids higher, its theirs. bid on the next one.

when a vendor is selling the same thing over and over, a good auto-bidder program can chain those auctions together, and keep last second bidding the max you want to pay until you get one. done. I've used http://www.cricketsniper.com/ with good success.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #7545
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
imho, smart ebay bidders put in one bid, at the last possible moment (say, 10 seconds before close) for the maximum they feel the merchandise is worth.

if someone bids higher, its theirs. bid on the next one.

when a vendor is selling the same thing over and over, a good auto-bidder program can chain those auctions together, and keep last second bidding the max you want to pay until you get one. done. I've used http://www.cricketsniper.com/ with good success.
ebay's come out with its own semi-sniper kinda thing too. Call it 'bid assistant.' Basically, you select a few things you wanna win and ebay will bid for you (up to yer max) and make sure you win one. I haven't tried it.

I got outbid by $1 for a crankset for Stick Me's bike. I hadta go to work... Oh well. Next!

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: