User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 01:54 AM   #7546
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,505
Welp, once again Pugsley season is upon us up here.

Rode it to work today for the first time this winter. Fun!

Think maybe it's time I go ahead and order up a semetrical front wheel and fork tho.

I love winter. Honest. I really do! Having a good time up here in the Great White North. Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:07 AM   #7547
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
I know it is camera angle, but that front tire look HUGE!!!!

I must be a fair weather man, because I haven't been riding much when the temps hit 30 for lows and the winds have been howling at 45 mph yesterday.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:15 AM   #7548
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I know it is camera angle, but that front tire look HUGE!!!!

I must be a fair weather man, because I haven't been riding much when the temps hit 30 for lows and the winds have been howling at 45 mph yesterday.
It's not the camera... that wheels is actually double width of conventional on the Pugsley.

If I lived in the north country I'd have one too
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:24 AM   #7549
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
It's not the camera... that wheels is actually double width of conventional on the Pugsley.

If I lived in the north country I'd have one too
That looks wider than the front tire of my KTM!!!! The tread isn't as tall, but it look wider. I think if I lived there I would have to have something similar also, and dress very warm.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:47 AM   #7550
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,356
I have a couple of questions for you guys.

First off on my cycle cross bike (Jamis Nova) I would like to gear it down. The bike is a 2005 model. I can't find any info on it. But the 2007s have a CS 5600 freewheel. My bike is a 9 speed so I am assuming that my free wheel is the 9 speed equivalent of the 5600.
Can I gear this guy down? I'm thinking that I might currently have a 27 tooth on the rear. I would like to bump this up to a 32 tooth or similar. I know that I might need to get a different chain and derailleur. I have tried to make sense of the capability charts. I am not finding any useful info.

Next is I am thinking of getting a new mountain bike. I need something that is at least as relaxed as my cycle cross bike. I have never ridden a fully suspended bike or a bike with an air shock on it.
Do I need a fully suspended bike for riding trails?
Or can I get buy just fine with a hard trail?
My biggest issue with bikes is that I tend to knock the wheels out of alignment. I have a set of speed cities on my cycle cross bike. I have never need to alien them.

I am currently looking at an REI brand bike. I think that the fully suppended bike is in the 1600 to 2k range. Is this enough bike for a big guy to get fit on?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #7551
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
yeah, be a rare old bike shop that had any 1950s campi stuff in a junk bin. of the good bike shops I remember in the sfba from the 60s/70s, not many are left, and the few that survived are hardly recognizable.
+1 Our bike shop was killed by Wal Mart.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #7552
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
I need a straight rear axle with decent cones for a Sturmey-Archer type SBR rear drum brake, this was a freewheel hub, from the late 70s... think they might have one in their junk bin they'd part with for, say.... $20 ?

If I remember correctly, a universal rear axle should be fine. I dunno about the cones on this model, but you might try another SA for comparison. I don't think that they varied that much. Did you try Sheldon Brown yet?

What are you building? A retro "clunker?"
Old 11-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #7553
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King
+1 Our bike shop was killed by Wal Mart.

Wal-Mart doesn't kill bike shops. Bike shops that are run by people that have a "pre-Wal-Mart" attitude and business model kill their own shops. Wal-Mart puts "butts on saddles"... Do these people return to Wal-Mart for service? Parts? Clothing? Advice?.. NOPE. Wal-Mart sells cheap crap for the most part. At least some percentage of these buyers will get "hooked" and be looking for an upgrade to a "real bike" from the local LBS.

RW
Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 AM   #7554
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,338
With a rear 9 spd drivetrain, more than likely you have cassette on the rear hub, not freewheel.

Do you have a triple chainring on the crankarm?

Going to a 32t rear cog from a 27t cog, the rear derailleur would require to have a long cage and chain would likely need to be lengthen.. if you're running triple chainrings, the front derailleur may need to be changed also.

Full suspension or Hardtail is mostly personal preference, if you're heavy to begin with, a well designed full suspension bike may just hold up better if you ride somewhat aggressively.

I don't know much about REI bikes, but if you want full suspension bikes that can take abuse, look up Marin Quad XC line and Giant Reign line for under $2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
But the 2007s have a CS 5600 freewheel. My bike is a 9 speed so I am assuming that my free wheel is the 9 speed equivalent of the 5600.
Can I gear this guy down? I'm thinking that I might currently have a 27 tooth on the rear. I would like to bump this up to a 32 tooth or similar. I know that I might need to get a different chain and derailleur. I have tried to make sense of the capability charts. I am not finding any useful info.

Next is I am thinking of getting a new mountain bike. I need something that is at least as relaxed as my cycle cross bike. I have never ridden a fully suspended bike or a bike with an air shock on it.
Do I need a fully suspended bike for riding trails?
Or can I get buy just fine with a hard trail?
My biggest issue with bikes is that I tend to knock the wheels out of alignment. I have a set of speed cities on my cycle cross bike. I have never need to alien them.

I am currently looking at an REI brand bike. I think that the fully suppended bike is in the 1600 to 2k range. Is this enough bike for a big guy to get fit on?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #7555
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
Wal-Mart doesn't kill bike shops. Bike shops that are run by people that have a "pre-Wal-Mart" attitude and business model kill their own shops. Wal-Mart puts "butts on saddles"... Do these people return to Wal-Mart for service? Parts? Clothing? Advice?.. NOPE. Wal-Mart sells cheap crap for the most part. At least some percentage of these buyers will get "hooked" and be looking for an upgrade to a "real bike" from the local LBS.

RW
I think you are correct.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #7556
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
I have a couple of questions for you guys.

First off on my cycle cross bike (Jamis Nova) I would like to gear it down. The bike is a 2005 model. I can't find any info on it. But the 2007s have a CS 5600 freewheel. My bike is a 9 speed so I am assuming that my free wheel is the 9 speed equivalent of the 5600.
its often easier/cheaper to reduce the size of the front chain ring(s). you may or may not have to remove a few chain links when you do this, easily done with a chain rivet punch. you shouldn't have to change the derailleur(s).

re: FSR vs hardtail for trail riding, it kind of depends on how rough your trails are and how fast you want to fly over rough terrain while maintaining some modicum of control.

re: mountain bikes, hearing really good buzz about these guys -> http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/

their top of the line full suspension bike is under 22 lbs fully equipped (but that combo is $$$$$)
Old 11-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #7557
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King
If I remember correctly, a universal rear axle should be fine. I dunno about the cones on this model, but you might try another SA for comparison. I don't think that they varied that much. Did you try Sheldon Brown yet?

What are you building? A retro "clunker?"
its got a rather unusual cone thats permanently attached, the other cone is threaded like a conventional old school

the bike is built, its my 5 speed lightweight cruiser I've had since the late 70s.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #7558
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 837
Cool2

I'm seriously considering the new 08 model Giant FCR-Alliance

The problem is finding a store that has one in stock to look at and size up - before laying out the $$$'s
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #7559
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoWERX
I'm seriously considering the new 08 model Giant FCR-Alliance

The problem is finding a store that has one in stock to look at and size up - before laying out the $$$'s
That is a gorgeous bike. I have flat bar road bike and a drop bar bike. The drop bar is much more comfortable.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #7560
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus

RW
You are mostly correct. Unfortunate effect, though. The family shop was run since the 60's and the business model was as old as the bikes that we fixed. That model, indeed, sealed the deal. Potential customers only saw the $ sign and not the quality. Most LBS ('round here anyway) are nothing more than a supplier of parts.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: