Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 311 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 04:08 PM   #7561
rhinoWERX
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
That is a gorgeous bike. I have flat bar road bike and a drop bar bike. The drop bar is much more comfortable.
The main reason for wanting to go for a flat bar bike is cause I'm getting to old to prop in a prone position for anything longer than an hour.

I figure, as with my current motorcycle and my Fisher Big Sur MTB, the sit up and beg position will be more comfortable for me.

Cheers
-Jack
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #7562
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
With a rear 9 spd drivetrain, more than likely you have cassette on the rear hub, not freewheel.

Do you have a triple chainring on the crankarm?

Going to a 32t rear cog from a 27t cog, the rear derailleur would require to have a long cage and chain would likely need to be lengthen.. if you're running triple chainrings, the front derailleur may need to be changed also.

Full suspension or Hardtail is mostly personal preference, if you're heavy to begin with, a well designed full suspension bike may just hold up better if you ride somewhat aggressively.

I don't know much about REI bikes, but if you want full suspension bikes that can take abuse, look up Marin Quad XC line and Giant Reign line for under $2000.
I have a team mate who works as a wrench at rei. He races a novara (rei brand) full suspension frame. The bike is fully loaded with slr wheels and full xtr and the frame has held up fine. He races in expert class and rides the hell out of the bike. I ride a giant anthem (full suspension) with a similar specs setup. Our bikes weigh about the same (sub 24 lbs). I wouldn't hesitate to ride/race a novara frame.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #7563
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,697
A couple of weeks ago I stopped by a shop in Santa fe. They put me on a MoJo. What a sweet bike. My knees liked it and I fell in love. But at $4200.00 It was a little out of my price range. I stopped by that shop again today. It was still sitting there. I was hard to focus on other bikes with that puke green bike calling my name. The problem is that my son want to ride with me. I can't see spending 6k on two bikes. Boy I sure love that bike.

I rode a stumpjumper ? They listed it at 2k. I am not sure on the setup. But my knees were a little forward of the balls on my feet. I could tell it right away. My knees don't let me get away with shit anymore.

Also I was looking at a Gary Fisher 29er. A nice blue one. What a great looking bike. I'm not sure if a 29er is for me. But I might as well look into one.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
its often easier/cheaper to reduce the size of the front chain ring(s). you may or may not have to remove a few chain links when you do this, easily done with a chain rivet punch. you shouldn't have to change the derailleur(s).

re: FSR vs hardtail for trail riding, it kind of depends on how rough your trails are and how fast you want to fly over rough terrain while maintaining some modicum of control.

re: mountain bikes, hearing really good buzz about these guys -> http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/

their top of the line full suspension bike is under 22 lbs fully equipped (but that combo is $$$$$)
Old 11-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #7564
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair
A couple of weeks ago I stopped by a shop in Santa fe. They put me on a MoJo. What a sweet bike. My knees liked it and I fell in love. But at $4200.00 It was a little out of my price range. I stopped by that shop again today. It was still sitting there. I was hard to focus on other bikes with that puke green bike calling my name. The problem is that my son want to ride with me. I can't see spending 6k on two bikes. Boy I sure love that bike.

I rode a stumpjumper ? They listed it at 2k. I am not sure on the setup. But my knees were a little forward of the balls on my feet. I could tell it right away. My knees don't let me get away with shit anymore.

Also I was looking at a Gary Fisher 29er. A nice blue one. What a great looking bike. I'm not sure if a 29er is for me. But I might as well look into one.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
What yer feeling is the difference in setup. Most if not all mtn bikes have seat tubes in a VERY narrow range. Have the shop move things around till they feel the same, THEN ride em! Doing anything else isn't giving you a good feel for the bikes.

AFA 29"ers, the big wheels and tires roll over little stuff better than the 'normal' mtn bike wheels. Selection of tires is a little limited as of the moment tho... That may or may not change with time.

I've never ridden FS, so I'd lean towards a hardtail. Lighter, stiffer, etc. I ride my cross bike on a lot of mtn bike trails, so I'm a little biased.

HTH

M
Old 11-16-2007, 06:07 AM   #7565
Hair
Outside the boxer

The mountain bike that I got rid of was one of my designs. I had a bike building friend of mine weld it. In the late 80s I built 3 bikes that way. Back then the trend was to make the MBs like road bikes. My MB had a long top tube and a steep seat angle. I can't remember the angle. But it put my knees way out in front of the peddel ax. Now I am very sensitive to that.
The Stump Jumper maybe was a bit small. It's seat was about half way back on the rails. The sales guy and I discussed this abit. He said that I might have gotten luck on the setup on the IBIS. Maybe so but that bike felt right in so many ways. He also said that if I buy from him he would take the time to make sure that I was fitted to the bike. Typically I go to REI because they tend to be good an helping a person on getting the right equipment. But this guy is working hard at making me happy. Also he rides with several of the local single track MC guys. The same guys that I ride with. Seems that a lot of us are taking a break from dirt bikes and riding MBs.
I might look into the IBIS a bit more. Maybe I can get an XR or lower grade components. The bike that I tested had the highest grade components on it. Which drove the price up. I don't think that I want the maintance that comes with full race components.

At any rate this year I need to loose weight. I have not been feeling well. And just this past week a co-worker who is built similar to me discovered that he has cancer. And in a bad way too.
I've come to the conculsion that I will not live forever. And that I am at a junction point were I make the changes now or live with what I have become. Twenty years ago I came to the same junction regarding smoking. It took me a while to quit. Later I went on to become a some what competive bike racer. I never got classified. Mainly because our local races did not require it.
I don't want to race anymore. But I am looking to follow my quit smoking model for weight loss.
Once I loose the weight then I might return to dirt biking.

Hair screwed with this post 11-16-2007 at 06:13 AM
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #7566
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
The mountain bike that I got rid of was one of my designs. I had a bike building friend of mine weld it. In the late 80s I built 3 bikes that way. Back then the trend was to make the MBs like road bikes. My MB had a long top tube and a steep seat angle. I can't remember the angle. But it put my knees way out in front of the peddel ax. Now I am very sensitive to that.
The Stump Jumper maybe was a bit small. It's seat was about half way back on the rails. The sales guy and I discussed this abit. He said that I might have gotten luck on the setup on the IBIS. Maybe so but that bike felt right in so many ways. He also said that if I buy from him he would take the time to make sure that I was fitted to the bike. Typically I go to REI because they tend to be good an helping a person on getting the right equipment. But this guy is working hard at making me happy. Also he rides with several of the local single track MC guys. The same guys that I ride with. Seems that a lot of us are taking a break from dirt bikes and riding MBs.
I might look into the IBIS a bit more. Maybe I can get an XR or lower grade components. The bike that I tested had the highest grade components on it. Which drove the price up. I don't think that I want the maintance that comes with full race components.

At any rate this year I need to loose weight. I have not been feeling well. And just this past week a co-worker who is built similar to me discovered that he has cancer. And in a bad way too.
I've come to the conculsion that I will not live forever. And that I am at a junction point were I make the changes now or live with what I have become. Twenty years ago I came to the same junction regarding smoking. It took me a while to quit. Later I went on to become a some what competive bike racer. I never got classified. Mainly because our local races did not require it.
I don't want to race anymore. But I am looking to follow my quit smoking model for weight loss.
Once I loose the weight then I might return to dirt biking.
KOPS is always a good place to start with a fitting. EVERYthing revolves around yer pedals, so...

LX is just fine for bombing around locally and not racing. XT is gonna work a little better and last a little longer. XTR is one step beyond that. If you can afford it, buy the biggest gnarliest thing you can.

HTH

M
Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #7567
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 17,058
Checking in here.

I have been wanting to get back into cycling for over a year now. I used to ride and even raced a little over 20 years ago. Well, after struggling through a recent divorce and all the associated stress. I finally decided to "invest in myself", I bought a Klein Q-Carbon that has not been ridden in 2 years from a co-worker. I took it to the local shop and got it setup for me. I also bought myself a air trainer.

I have been training for 30 minutes for the past 3 nights in my apartment. I was amazed that I fell right back into a 90 RPM pace so quickly. Other then some soreness in my back, and palms I feel good. I am going for a ride this weekend. I am really looking forward to getting my cardio system back.

Wow, things have changed in the past 20 years. I bought one of the first Cannondale aluminum frame bikes all those years ago and had something fantastic. Today, I am riding a bike with carbon forks and rearset. The clip in pedals are leaps and bounds beyond the Look pedals I used to ride.

Anyway, will subscribe here and hope to log my progress in this thread.

John
Old 11-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #7568
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Spend some time at friedquads.com also. Another great place these animals hang out at.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #7569
Hair
Outside the boxer

Your lucky to get your cadiance back so quickly.
My old cadiance was right at 92. I can do that on a trainer. But once out on the road I have a hard time breaking 70. So I got myself a heart rate monitor. If my heart rate starts to climb. I shift to a lighter gear. A side benifit is that the monitor also tells me when I am over stressing my knees.
Good luck with the bike. Twenty years ago I swore that I would never pick up a bike again. Now I look forward to a nice ride where its just me the bike and the road. Off road will be even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Checking in here.

I have been wanting to get back into cycling for over a year now. I used to ride and even raced a little over 20 years ago. Well, after struggling through a recent divorce and all the associated stress. I finally decided to "invest in myself", I bought a Klein Q-Carbon that has not been ridden in 2 years from a co-worker. I took it to the local shop and got it setup for me. I also bought myself a air trainer.

I have been training for 30 minutes for the past 3 nights in my apartment. I was amazed that I fell right back into a 90 RPM pace so quickly. Other then some soreness in my back, and palms I feel good. I am going for a ride this weekend. I am really looking forward to getting my cardio system back.

Wow, things have changed in the past 20 years. I bought one of the first Cannondale aluminum frame bikes all those years ago and had something fantastic. Today, I am riding a bike with carbon forks and rearset. The clip in pedals are leaps and bounds beyond the Look pedals I used to ride.

Anyway, will subscribe here and hope to log my progress in this thread.

John
Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #7570
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
I have a team mate who works as a wrench at rei. He races a novara (rei brand) full suspension frame. The bike is fully loaded with slr wheels and full xtr and the frame has held up fine. He races in expert class and rides the hell out of the bike. I ride a giant anthem (full suspension) with a similar specs setup. Our bikes weigh about the same (sub 24 lbs). I wouldn't hesitate to ride/race a novara frame.
Depending on how heavy of a rider.. I doubt your friends' Novara full XTR bike would hold up if a 260 lb. rider tries to land some 6ft. drops..
Old 11-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #7571
Hair
Outside the boxer

The problem is worse than just a big guy doing jumps. Turns out that we can't seem to find a shock that can function with my mass on top of it. The bike shop is working on the problem for a few days. Looks like a hard tail for me. This sucks.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #7572
ceeco
two wheels at a time

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
The problem is worse than just a big guy doing jumps. Turns out that we can't seem to find a shock that can function with my mass on top of it. The bike shop is working on the problem for a few days. Looks like a hard tail for me. This sucks.
Might want to consider a bike with a coil spring instead of air...you can change the spring out for diff. rates just like a motorcycle. You should be able to pump a air shock up to give you the correct sag but the shock won't perform as well then. At your weight I would be looking at a "all mountain/freeride" type bike...beefy coil shock and fork with oversized stanchions for less flex and some strong wheels. Dont buy a bike that has some light weight race wheels with paired spokes or any of that crap...good ol' 32 or 36 hole 3 cross pattern on a strong rim. It's not going to be cheap but it most likely what you need to have a reliable ride.
ceeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #7573
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,061
my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR has a Fox Float somethign in the rear, it handles my 230 lbs just fine when its pumped up to around 230 psi, and still has more capacity... there's plenty of damping range. i had a harder time with the crappy forks it came with, had to custom order a heavier spring so that it wouldn't bottom out (I probably should have gotten Fox Float forks too, but they were -so- expensive aftermarket.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:40 PM   #7574
Hair
Outside the boxer

We tried several Air shocks last night at the shop. None of them worked for me. We are looking at coil over shock. But I am not hold out much hope.

I took my son on a light trail ride this morning. He used his MB. I used my cycle cross bike. I push it to its limits. I would not want to do that too often.

It's starting to look like I might have to make due with a hard tail until I loose some weight.

I've been bike riding off and on all summer. Knees and breakdowns have kept me from being very regular. But every time I go I feel like a million bucks after. Because of this I am convinced that I just need to find a balance between me, bike and trail.

I miss dirt biking. But once I loose some weight I hope to return to dirt biking with a vengeance.

And if I get the motorcycle bug, which I do quite often. I can always take the SE our for a good flogging.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #7575
Hawk
Bainned

Oddometer: 17,058
Quote:
Your lucky to get your cadiance back so quickly.
My old cadiance was right at 92. I can do that on a trainer. But once out on the road I have a hard time breaking 70. So I got myself a heart rate monitor. If my heart rate starts to climb. I shift to a lighter gear. A side benifit is that the monitor also tells me when I am over stressing my knees.
Good luck with the bike. Twenty years ago I swore that I would never pick up a bike again. Now I look forward to a nice ride where its just me the bike and the road. Off road will be even better.
Went for a 20 mile ride today, felt good was able to keep a good cadence and never over stressed myself. Man, hills are a forgotten bitch, I remember being able to just power up them, today I used gears and struggled. But, I had a good time.

I am racing a hare scramble tomorrow so no bike riding. But Monday back on the trainer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: