User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 275 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #7576
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,563
I've thought about doing a hare scramble. They have a few around here.

What is it like riding in a pack? Is it closer to motocross or enduro riding?
Old 11-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #7577
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair

A hare scramble is usually like a a full out enduro. Go as fast as you can on the single track trails and creek crossings and log crossings. Or at least that is how the one is on our private riding grounds.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #7578
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Went for a 20 mile ride today, felt good was able to keep a good cadence and never over stressed myself. Man, hills are a forgotten bitch, I remember being able to just power up them, today I used gears and struggled. But, I had a good time.

I am racing a hare scramble tomorrow so no bike riding. But Monday back on the trainer.
Just remember what ole Greg LeMond hadta say: Hills never get any easier , just faster.

'Course, I can't climb to save my life so what do I know?!

M
Old 11-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #7579
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Flat Tire

OK, I rode my bike to my wife's grandmother's house for an early thanksgiving dinner and yes I forgot my camera again. Rode the hilly 13.65 miles from our garage to her garage without any problems in about 46 minutes. On the way home it was going to be dark soon, so I left after the dinner a little earlier than everyone else to get a good head start as I don't have any lights for my bike. The gravel roads in our county run right to the edges of the highway, and if the traffic is heavy enough, I ride through the gravel and keep going. Not a problem for the way up and I didn't think about it on the way back as I hadn't hit any traffic at the time I needed to go into the highway to miss all of the gravel. Soon there was traffice coming behind me, so I went through a little grave on the shoulder of the road and about 200 yards later I was off the bike and into my seat bag. (*&#&)*#^&^!*^# I took out the tubes, because the wife wanted me to take the cell phone and I forgot to put them back in the pack. OK, so I called the wife and asked her to come get me, so I took the wheels off and we loaded it in the back of her Mazda Tribute and we went home.

I was going to walk home, but the bike shoes with the cleat is not worth walking a few hundred feet in. let alone the 8 miles I had yet to go.

Oh well.

Had to go to a funeral visitation, and now to help with homework and maybe tomorrow I will work on the other tires and cleaning the filthy bike, as it was raining when I left and the roads were crappy. 42 degrees and 20 mile winds, so I need to figure out more layering for my upper body. I had on my long sleeved under armor type shirt and a long sleeved cotton shirt over that. I think too much more and I would have been hot. Toes and fingers were cold. My winter dirt bike gloves were better than my bicycle gloves, but still not enough for the colder temperatures. I think I will add bicycle clothing and lights to my christmas wish list.

I will probably cross post this to fried quads.

I hope everyone had a better biking Sunday than I had.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #7580
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
OK, I rode my bike to my wife's grandmother's house for an early thanksgiving dinner and yes I forgot my camera again. Rode the hilly 13.65 miles from our garage to her garage without any problems in about 46 minutes. On the way home it was going to be dark soon, so I left after the dinner a little earlier than everyone else to get a good head start as I don't have any lights for my bike. The gravel roads in our county run right to the edges of the highway, and if the traffic is heavy enough, I ride through the gravel and keep going. Not a problem for the way up and I didn't think about it on the way back as I hadn't hit any traffic at the time I needed to go into the highway to miss all of the gravel. Soon there was traffice coming behind me, so I went through a little grave on the shoulder of the road and about 200 yards later I was off the bike and into my seat bag. (*&#&)*#^&^!*^# I took out the tubes, because the wife wanted me to take the cell phone and I forgot to put them back in the pack. OK, so I called the wife and asked her to come get me, so I took the wheels off and we loaded it in the back of her Mazda Tribute and we went home.

I was going to walk home, but the bike shoes with the cleat is not worth walking a few hundred feet in. let alone the 8 miles I had yet to go.

Oh well.

Had to go to a funeral visitation, and now to help with homework and maybe tomorrow I will work on the other tires and cleaning the filthy bike, as it was raining when I left and the roads were crappy. 42 degrees and 20 mile winds, so I need to figure out more layering for my upper body. I had on my long sleeved under armor type shirt and a long sleeved cotton shirt over that. I think too much more and I would have been hot. Toes and fingers were cold. My winter dirt bike gloves were better than my bicycle gloves, but still not enough for the colder temperatures. I think I will add bicycle clothing and lights to my christmas wish list.

I will probably cross post this to fried quads.

I hope everyone had a better biking Sunday than I had.
If yer gonna ride on the road, ride ON THE ROAD. DO NOT let the motherfuckers push you (or go voluntarily) into the gravel. Bad things happen when you do that. From flatting (above), to wrecks, to people getting the idea that bicycles aren't supposed to be on the road. Of the three, the last is prolly the worst outcome. They won't hit you (in 99.9% of the time) in most cases. Stand yer ground. They WILL find somewhere to go round you, give you room, or simply sit there.

In fact, if yer coming round a blind corner, edge out into the middle of the road a little to make it obvious what you're doing, then back closer to the edge when you're sure there's nothing coming. If there's a cage behind you, make sure you use the STOP arm signal to show that you're being safe, not just stoopit. Wave to em after they've gone round you in a safe manner.

When I'm in urban traffic, I usually ride with my wheels right about where the right wheels of the cages go. That way they see me (wearing flo yellow usually) and miss me. Rural roads, I'll ride with about 6" of road outside my right bar. If I hear something and its safe, I'll run to about the right where my bar's at the edge of the road but no further.

Do these things and you'll never hear or say the dreaded 'I got run off the road...'

HTH

M
Old 11-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #7581
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,879
I have to say I do the same thing - I pay more freakin' vehicle related tax than 90% of the drivers on the road so I figure I am more than due the space on the road.

If they don't like it...fucke 'em.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #7582
Hawk
Banned

Oddometer: 16,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair

Like Flip said, a HS is like a full out enduro, staggered start depending on class. A lot of single track and hills, espcially here in the South, some of the best riding around. You can get wet or ride in un-dogly mud. Today the loop was 10 miles long, 2 hour time limit, as many loops as you can do. I was lucky to do 2 loops. It was a tough course, a lot of TIGHT single track, many tree to tree at the minimuim 23 inches. I had a great time and came away exhausted. Placed 3rd in my class, don't be impressed. there were only 8 in the class.

Well tomorrow, if my back premits, I am back on the trainer. I need to build my cardio vascular system. It would have helped today.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #7583
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
Depending on how heavy of a rider.. I doubt your friends' Novara full XTR bike would hold up if a 260 lb. rider tries to land some 6ft. drops..
No one said anything about hucking the bike. The xtr has nothing to do with the frame's rigidity. Plenty of downhill guys on coilers run full xtr (not wheels). A 260 lb rider would not be competitive in expert cross-country racing.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:24 PM   #7584
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

The best laid plans of mice and men...

or

Why I didn't ride to work all 5 days I'd planned on.

So there I am... Looking at the weather. Seeing highs in the 60s and 70s at the end of Nov! Lows in the mid-40s. time!!

Hey, looks like its gonna be nice from Thurs to Tues. Why not see if you can't commute every day? Weight loss. Fitness. Better attitude at work. All plusses.

So I charged up the battery, installed the blinky, and made sure the reflective bands were installed on both helmets.

First nite: Rode in. No worries. No hassles.
First AM: man! my legs are tired! Keep it in the small ring dumbass.

Second nite: see my post on FQ about getting hassled by Johnny Law. Before that, I'd been doing a pair of intervals. Felt good to hammer for a little while. Found out that I'm WAY outta shape even tho I have a decent spin.
Second AM: again, tired ass legs. Small ring time baybee!

Third nite: woke up tired as a mofo with a splitting headache. Hmmm prolly not such a good idea to ride. Basically, I felt like dogshit that'd been stepped on. So I went and ran errands. Picked up the base layers I'd ordered from REI outlet and some beer Mmmmmmm beer!

Today: Went to bed at 0730 after a grilled cheese sammich, a few Pringles, and a beer. Mmmmm beer. Green Flash Extra Pale Ale if yer interested. Tasty Woke up at about 1130 to go take a leak, then *maybe* some time around 1500, then not again till 1830. FINALLY caught up on sleep. Right before the end of my 9-day stretch! I needed to make some corn bread for the pot luck tonite, so no riding tonite either!

I figger I'll ride in tomorrow and Tues and that's pretty much all she wrote for Swedish. As of Wed AM, I'm unemployed! Where do I apply for my slacker card?

M
Old 11-19-2007, 04:35 AM   #7585
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

I was riding on a highway, and outside of the white line is grooved rumble strips and then about 3' of blacktop to allow bicycles to ride on the highway without having to be on the highway. If I would bring my camera, I would have taken a picture to show you.

BTW, not one person slowed or stopped to ask if I needed help. I had both tires off of the bike before anyone drove by. They were probably laughing at the fat man on the side of the road that thought he could ride a bicycle from town to town. Or, that idiot should have been driving his gas guzzling truck and he wouldn't have had that problem.

I am headed to fried quads to look at the lighting thread, and then starting a new one for night riding clothing or reflective clothing or something like that.

GUMMEE - Sorry to hear about the loss of the job.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:34 AM   #7586
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Its no big deal. I'm moving to NoVA and just don't have anything lined up yet.

Soon. Worst case, I'll go work in Morgantown, WV. I hear the hospital there's hiring!

M
Old 11-19-2007, 05:44 AM   #7587
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

When are you moving?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:49 AM   #7588
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Next Mon-Tues.

Starting the long drive to NoVA from Denver.

Gonna miss the mountains. (not that I've ridden my bicycle thru em, but I HAVE been on the GS thru em!)

M
Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #7589
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

I liked the mountains when we visited there are few summers ago. Now, we are planning on getting the kids to college and get my wife out of college and then head to the southeast somewhere to get away from the snow and ice crap that we are getting. Hopefully close enough to the lesser mountains of the east and the ocean beaches.

Good luck with the move and enjoy the NE.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #7590
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,879
Rollers. Talk to me about rollers. The cold weather has arrived here in New England and I hate riding in the cold. I have a static trainer thing but it's not very good. PC or Nashbar have a set of rollers for about $100 or so. I have heard they are difficult to use - true or no ? Any tips on using them ?

Cheers...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: