Old 12-06-2007, 03:49 AM   #7622
AEIOU
Wien ist so herrlich hin

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC8Lewy
Picked up my new 29er Redline Monocog this afternoon

Taking it out tomorrow when I finish work

redline is still out there? i remember redline from bmx riding, about 23 years ago.
My first one was a Kuwahara Nova for racing and a Haro Sports freestyle bike for Flatland and ramp.sweet bikes.
good times....

Knife Addict, love MuayThai, my 1150GS and a good Whiskey

AEIOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:24 AM   #7623
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Sometimes I really like the looks of something so simplified.

Nice looking bike.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:00 AM   #7624
caromalta
Islander

Oddometer: 35
MALTA - mountainbike on the edge!!

caromalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:32 AM   #7625
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgedMissle
Once an avid biker but out of touch with whats out there today...and shocked at the prices. My son took my beloved MB2 away to school and now it's about trashed. What would you recommend for a replacement. I ride trails, improved and rough, and would like at least front suspension. Want to keep the price around $400.00 or so. May buy two as the bike-trasher has been turned-on to Mtn bike racing and wants to try it.
I'd recommend beating the snot outta the kid for trashing an MB-2, but what're ya gonna do?! Gave my little brother a Nishiki Colorado (nothing fancy) and AFTER it got left out, etc it went missing.

So, having said that, look for a used Stumpjumper on CL or ebay. M2 is fine, but the newer stuff is mo bettah. The Diamonback X-8 (?) is pretty good for an older Full Suspension (FS) bike. MOST of the new XC FS bikes are gonna do well. I like the Santa Cruz bikes, but they're a little (lot) out of my price range.

IF yer gonna ride em, and by that I mean actually go out in the woods and shit, don't get a $400 bike. Start yer lookin around $6-800 and go up from there. For FS, don't look much below $6-800 and look up from there. LX is prolly the lowest group I'd recommend for 'serious' riding.

Now, if yer lookin to ride every once in a while, toss that last paragraph out completely and don't look much ABOVE $6-800.

HTH

M
Old 12-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #7626
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Hey fifth,

Do you ride the trails in Omaha? Like Chalco Hills area????
I live ~2 miles from Chalco Hills. It's just a little lake with a nice bike path around it. No real trails there, unless you want to run xc. They mow nice xc paths for UNO and some highschool xc teams to run on.

The real trails are Lewis and Clark Monument, Lake Manawa, Tranquility Park, Swanson Park, Jewell Park, Platte River State Park. In Lincoln there is Wilderness Trail.

I have ridden them all, and have only gotten bored a few times. Usually becasue I was by myself and riding very conservativly. There are some local bike dorks that have a fairly active blog, http://www.mtbomaha.blogspot.com/

Most are members of T.H.O.R. (trails have our respect). They maintain the local singletrack, and work with the city/state to keep things going. I kinda think they are all Starbucks drinking hippie yeti granola types, but hey, they keep the trails nice
Old 12-06-2007, 06:39 AM   #7627
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
I live ~2 miles from Chalco Hills. It's just a little lake with a nice bike path around it. No real trails there, unless you want to run xc. They mow nice xc paths for UNO and some highschool xc teams to run on.

The real trails are Lewis and Clark Monument, Lake Manawa, Tranquility Park, Swanson Park, Jewell Park, Platte River State Park. In Lincoln there is Wilderness Trail.

I have ridden them all, and have only gotten bored a few times. Usually becasue I was by myself and riding very conservativly. There are some local bike dorks that have a fairly active blog, http://www.mtbomaha.blogspot.com/

Most are members of T.H.O.R. (trails have our respect). They maintain the local singletrack, and work with the city/state to keep things going. I kinda think they are all Starbucks drinking hippie yeti granola types, but hey, they keep the trails nice
I didn't know there were so many different riding areas in Omaha. I don't have a mountain bike, but you never know. I didn't think I would ride a bicycle after being off of them for so long, but I have gotten people riding again, and hopefully I will get even more of them riding.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:08 AM   #7628
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
I didn't know there were so many different riding areas in Omaha. I don't have a mountain bike, but you never know. I didn't think I would ride a bicycle after being off of them for so long, but I have gotten people riding again, and hopefully I will get even more of them riding.
Cycling in Omaha is actually a fairly big thing. Many miles of bike paths that are also very well maintianed. Unfortunatly, there is NOWHERE to ride a motorcycle in the dirt....except the South Omaha Bridge riding area, and that is all torn up by quads.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #7629
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

I have ridden at the RV area in C.B. and when it has been dry for a while it is an OK place to ride, but I ride at a private area that is east of me about 35 minutes. Great single track, hill climbs, creek crossings, etc.... The quads raced there two years ago and destroyed a lot of the fun things, but we are trying to build it back.

I hate to drive an hour to ride bike trails in Omaha, but I have driven west enough to get on the Wabash Trace and ride some of that. I am actually thinking of getting a tandem to ride on the Trace, but I am not sure if they wife would prefer that or having her own bike.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #7630
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
I have ridden at the RV area in C.B. and when it has been dry for a while it is an OK place to ride, but I ride at a private area that is east of me about 35 minutes. Great single track, hill climbs, creek crossings, etc.... The quads raced there two years ago and destroyed a lot of the fun things, but we are trying to build it back.

I hate to drive an hour to ride bike trails in Omaha, but I have driven west enough to get on the Wabash Trace and ride some of that. I am actually thinking of getting a tandem to ride on the Trace, but I am not sure if they wife would prefer that or having her own bike.
If she is anything remotely close to what my wife is....get a tandem. That way she can take it easy the whole time and still have fun. I got my wife a really nice Trek Pilot 2.1, and she has ridden it all of 5 times.

Next summer.....TACO RIDE!!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #7631
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU
redline is still out there? i remember redline from bmx riding, about 23 years ago.
My first one was a Kuwahara Nova for racing and a Haro Sports freestyle bike for Flatland and ramp.sweet bikes.
good times....
They certainly are.

It rides real nice too

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:40 AM   #7632
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

LC8LEWY,

I really like the simple looks of that bike. I know it is not for me, or at least not yet.

Hey fifth - I bought my wife a bike in August, and she has probably put on 200 miles with it maximum, but she is riding because it is a fun type of exercise for her. We did 25 miles on the trace after she was used to her bike. That was about 15 miles longer than she had done in the past around town. I would really like to get a tandem and ride up to taco night. My problem would be getting her back on the bike after she would have a few beers.

We have been there on taco night on the Kawasaki Voyager, but we were there to find out it was going to take an hour and a half to get a table, so we just kept on riding.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #7633
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oly
Come on, let's go. Winter is the trail riding season here.
Soon all the grass will be green.
OKAY!!!! how far are you from Colorado ??? I would seriously consider it...

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #7634
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #7635
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,820
Stick Me rode her Oschner for the first time just now. So far, so good. Shifters down on the DT is gonna take some getting used to (hoopty Schwinn had em on the stem)

Clatterclatterclatter shift smooooooottthhhh

Friction is hard, m'kay

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: