Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 323 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #7636
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Yeah, but where do we get the $0.05 tubes????????

I know the quality is $0.05, because the first tube out of the box had a hole in it.

CAT - You never said what you recommended for a patch kit to be kept with the bike??????

With tubes at 5 cents a piece, who needs to patch tubes... just put a new tube what goes flat.

No idea why your first tube has a hole out of the box..
Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #7637
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020

No idea why your first tube has a hole out of the box..
POS $0.05 tube that cost $4.95 to the end user.

Ship me some $0.05 tubes, because I am sure I can't get a patch kit for that either.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #7638
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Thanks Perry

I think I am going to give them a whirl. I will use these in a porch where I can lean against a wall if needs be when I start out. If all else fails I see you can buy a stand for the front wheel which would seem to negate most of the stability issues (please correct me if I am wrong ). I want to try it without first but I like the fact I have that option if I can't get to grips with it.
Yo Merc:

1) you want to learn rollers in a DOORWAY (solid support on both sides, and not that far from you)

2) if "all else fails" sell them and get a trainer. rollers with a fork stand are about as usefull as tits on a bull.

3) think circles. it's all about a smooth pedal stroke. pretend you're wiping poop off your shoes, it'll make you arc the bottom of your stroke.

4) start off learning in big gear, it'll spin your wheels faster and make it easier to stay upright. counter-common-sensical at first, but trust me.

have fun, and remember, it's not about balance more so about smooth technique. so if you stay calm and smooth, you'll get it. after a couple winter weeks, I was riding rollers no-handed while playing Project Gotham on the Xbox with my housemate.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:24 PM   #7639
cornercarver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 18,536
to step back a bit into the thread.

My take on the patch kit/spare tube thing is that anyone likely to stray far from their home on a bike also probably is carrying some kind of repair supplies. Folks that buy department store bikes don't often ride much more than a mile or 2 at a time (and that's a stretch, in my experience), so they hardly need to carry a spare tube or patch kit.

If you are talking 'cyclist' rather than 'bicycle owner' - the average price of a bike goes way up, cause all that low end crap just drops right out of the pool.

And I happily buy all kinds of stuff in my LBS that I could get for cheaper online. For clothes, it is because I can try the stuff on, but for everything else, it is a combination of convenience and the fact that I want my LBS to stay in business. That said, I don't buy much from the local chain store (something like 5 shops in the LA area). They have decent stock, but the folks that work there are basically college kids who have little knowledge on the sales floor and mexican laborers who don't even ride bicycles in the back doing the wrenching. I don't feel any need to keep them in business, though I will stop in and buy GU and spare tubes and stuff there.

But my local pro shop gets ALL of my business, up to and including building new bikes or me even though I'm perfectly capable of building a bike myself out of parts. I pay about $150 for the bike build labor, and I pay it happily cause those guys know me super well, give me great discounts wherever they can afford it, and if I come in needing a repair, other bikes will come off the stand so that they can get mine done first. Similarly, stem swaps and such are free until I've got the bike dialed in, though they know exactly how I fit my bikes, now. We go on regular rides together, and I've been known to fill in when they are shortstaffed at the shop. When I forgot my clear lenses for a night ride, a pair of new glasses came off the shelf for my use during the ride. If I'd damaged 'em, I would have paid, but they'd have only charged me wholesale, I'm sure.

In short, I get the kind of service at my local pro shop that I only wish I could get at a motorcycle dealership these days. And they have totally captured my business as a result. Hell, I even sacrifice my usual desire for instant gratification in order to let them order parts for me that I could get elsewhere. If I called them from my commute having discovered that my spare tubes were all defective, I doubt very much that I'd even have to ask before they'd volunteer to drop a tube off for me if I was within 10 miles of the shop (my whole commute is within 10 miles of the shop, conveniently).

So there's the answer to your question about who pays the LBS prices, although I guess it is a bit of a non-answer, since I NEVER pay the price on the price tags in the shop. Those are for the casual shopper who just stops in. Everything I buy there comes at a discount, one tht comes reasonably close to an internet order and is way more convenient and fun. The only problem is that when I walk into a bike shop, I ALWAYS buy more than I came in for. The same usually isnt true of internet ordering. That's where they really get me.
cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:00 AM   #7640
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Been riding a bicycle here since the first 5 boro bike ride (late 70's), my Dad since the 60's, his club too.

Never seen a rider without a tube and patch kit, pump or C02.

I guess we're just smart over here...
....and don't forget the Pepsi Challenge. I remember seeing John Howard win it one year, and Kenny Sloan (TOGA) another. An icon of 80's Central Park history.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #7641
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700
....and don't forget the Pepsi Challenge. I remember seeing John Howard win it one year, and Kenny Sloan (TOGA) another. An icon of 80's Central Park history.
I was young, but I remember going to some really cool races in the Park as a kid.

I was just at Toga yesterday, still a cool shop (a new one opened on the east side near me but it sucks).

Some 5 boro history:

The Five Boro Bike Tour is the largest recreational cycling event in the United States. Every year on the first Sunday of May, over 40,000 riders participate in the 42 mile ride around New York City. The route, closed to automobile traffic, takes riders through all five boroughs of New York City, across five major bridges, and finally across New York Harbor on the Staten Island Ferry.

The tour starts and ends at Battery Park in Lower Manhattan. Participants line up behind the start line at Franklin Street and Church Street creating a queue which extends well south beyond the World Trade Center site.
The tour runs north up the Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue) past Macy's before entering Central Park. After exiting the park the tour heads north through Harlem on Seventh Avenue and then crosses into the Bronx for a short 2 mile stretch before getting back to Manhattan and onto the FDR Drive. The FDR stretch of the tour runs south through Manhattan under Gracie Mansion before crossing the East River via the Queensboro Bridge into Queens. The first major rest area of the tour is in Astoria Park, Queens.
Leaving Astoria Park the tour proceeds south through Queens before crossing the Pulaski Bridge into Brooklyn, where it winds along the waterfront, past the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The route crosses under the Brooklyn Bridge, and then up and onto the Brooklyn Queens Expressway. The tour continues on the elevated BQE before dropping down to the Shore Parkway and over the Verrazano Narrows Bridge into Staten Island.
Once in Staten Island the tour makes a stop at Fort Wadsworth for a festival, before continuing the last three miles to the Staten Island Ferry where riders can take the ferry back to Battery Park in Manhattan.
The event began on June 10, 1977 as the Five Boro Challenge with about 250 participants. The original tour was 50 miles long and started and ended in Queens.

Last year was the last time I'll ever do the tour though, it's too big, too slow, and too un-organized.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #7642
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornercarver
to step back a bit into the thread.

My take on the patch kit/spare tube thing is that anyone likely to stray far from their home on a bike also probably is carrying some kind of repair supplies. Folks that buy department store bikes don't often ride much more than a mile or 2 at a time (and that's a stretch, in my experience), so they hardly need to carry a spare tube or patch kit.

If you are talking 'cyclist' rather than 'bicycle owner' - the average price of a bike goes way up, cause all that low end crap just drops right out of the pool.

And I happily buy all kinds of stuff in my LBS that I could get for cheaper online. For clothes, it is because I can try the stuff on, but for everything else, it is a combination of convenience and the fact that I want my LBS to stay in business. That said, I don't buy much from the local chain store (something like 5 shops in the LA area). They have decent stock, but the folks that work there are basically college kids who have little knowledge on the sales floor and mexican laborers who don't even ride bicycles in the back doing the wrenching. I don't feel any need to keep them in business, though I will stop in and buy GU and spare tubes and stuff there.

But my local pro shop gets ALL of my business, up to and including building new bikes or me even though I'm perfectly capable of building a bike myself out of parts. I pay about $150 for the bike build labor, and I pay it happily cause those guys know me super well, give me great discounts wherever they can afford it, and if I come in needing a repair, other bikes will come off the stand so that they can get mine done first. Similarly, stem swaps and such are free until I've got the bike dialed in, though they know exactly how I fit my bikes, now. We go on regular rides together, and I've been known to fill in when they are shortstaffed at the shop. When I forgot my clear lenses for a night ride, a pair of new glasses came off the shelf for my use during the ride. If I'd damaged 'em, I would have paid, but they'd have only charged me wholesale, I'm sure.

In short, I get the kind of service at my local pro shop that I only wish I could get at a motorcycle dealership these days. And they have totally captured my business as a result. Hell, I even sacrifice my usual desire for instant gratification in order to let them order parts for me that I could get elsewhere. If I called them from my commute having discovered that my spare tubes were all defective, I doubt very much that I'd even have to ask before they'd volunteer to drop a tube off for me if I was within 10 miles of the shop (my whole commute is within 10 miles of the shop, conveniently).

So there's the answer to your question about who pays the LBS prices, although I guess it is a bit of a non-answer, since I NEVER pay the price on the price tags in the shop. Those are for the casual shopper who just stops in. Everything I buy there comes at a discount, one tht comes reasonably close to an internet order and is way more convenient and fun. The only problem is that when I walk into a bike shop, I ALWAYS buy more than I came in for. The same usually isnt true of internet ordering. That's where they really get me.

Well said
Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #7643
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Yo Merc:

1) you want to learn rollers in a DOORWAY (solid support on both sides, and not that far from you)

2) if "all else fails" sell them and get a trainer. rollers with a fork stand are about as usefull as tits on a bull.

3) think circles. it's all about a smooth pedal stroke. pretend you're wiping poop off your shoes, it'll make you arc the bottom of your stroke.

4) start off learning in big gear, it'll spin your wheels faster and make it easier to stay upright. counter-common-sensical at first, but trust me.

have fun, and remember, it's not about balance more so about smooth technique. so if you stay calm and smooth, you'll get it. after a couple winter weeks, I was riding rollers no-handed while playing Project Gotham on the Xbox with my housemate.
Thanks Doc
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #7644
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Is anyone getting to ride over the T-day weekend????

I flew to Georgia, so there are no bicycles for me to ride. Just curious what everyone else is doing?
Old 11-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #7645
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:

I flew to Georgia, so there are no bicycles for me to ride. Just curious what everyone else is doing?

I did a nice 40 miler at 17mph avg today in LI with the bike club, real nice, beautiful weather here.

It was wet and dirty though, the road bike got caked with dead leaves/mud, took awhile to clean it up today.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #7646
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 979
Quote:

For Thanksgiving my mom's family always gathers at the farm in south Georgia where they grew up. She's one of 6 siblings, so it's usually a big crowd.

This year my girlfriend and I made a week of it and drove down. We brought 3 bikes and one extra set of wheels. On the way we stopped in Pisgah National Forest in Western NC to visit some of the (highly regarded) MTB trails there. They were lotsa fun -- long grueling climbs, long fun downhills. I wish we'd had more than a day there, and I wish I'd had a full-suspension bike so that I could've let my hair down a bit more on the descents.

Then it was on to Georgia. I figured other folks at the family gathering might want to ride a bit, so I brought a along pair of platform pedals to swap onto one of my bikes, and they saw a good bit of use.

We ate our big meal today at around 1pm. A couple of hours later, when we were stuffed with turkey, dressing, black-eyed peas, sweet potatoes, mustard greens, beer, 3 kinds of pie, and coffee, my girlfriend goaded a cousin and I into a little bike race. We did a few laps on a mostly-dirt-road loop, totaling maybe 3 miles.

I won. More importantly, I managed not to puke, but it was touch-and-go for a good 20 minutes after the race.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #7647
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

I am in LaGrange. We might go rent some bikes at Calloway Gardens tomorrow. My mom is 70 and she thought we might try it. It is her birthday, that is why we are here.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:44 AM   #7648
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Quote:
I am in LaGrange. We might go rent some bikes at Calloway Gardens tomorrow. My mom is 70 and she thought we might try it. It is her birthday, that is why we are here.
Long weekend and nobody posted. I am shocked. We didn't go biking, but I took her to her LBS and talked to the owner. I think she may go buy a bike from him that will fit her and he will do all of the service and help set up her car for a bike carrier. That is the first TREK store I walked into that wasn't a "superstore" atmosphere. I actually enjoyed talking to him.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #7649
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,104
I'm packing the bikes and toolz up to move (on Tues) so no riding for me for about a week.

Can't r*n cause my ankle's fucked up.

Oh well.

M
Old 11-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #7650
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Long weekend and nobody posted. I am shocked. We didn't go biking, but I took her to her LBS and talked to the owner. I think she may go buy a bike from him that will fit her and he will do all of the service and help set up her car for a bike carrier. That is the first TREK store I walked into that wasn't a "superstore" atmosphere. I actually enjoyed talking to him.
Except for T day, no rides this wknd for me.

I did however find a set of Cane Creek aerohead wheels which got me wrenching in front of the TV and leftovers. My idea of fun..

Also broke down the basso completely bare, then began rebuilding it, damnn BB was filled with shit, really dirty, same for the headset. Gotta love titanium's everlasting beauty though.

Cane Creek makes a strange hub though..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: