Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 519 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #7651
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU
i just saw bad aussee on your avatar, and i thought "he's austrian! cool".. then i got it when i read australia.. cracked me up!!
ever been to bad aussee?
I don't know about the Aussie, but I prolly have at some point or another in my childhood.

Austria and Switzerland have to be some of the most beautiful areas in the world!

M
Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #7652
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,366
made it out for a ride yesterday. Yellow River is the closest mountain bike trail to my home, not a bad ride. The weather here has been very warm, 70's in December.

patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #7653
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Gummee - silly question I know but how do you clean your bikes after a ride (road and/or mtn) ? I know how to clean cars and bikes (hot soapy water) but push-bikes ?

Should be simple I guess....

Here's another option for the water hose impaired (city folk). After a dirt ride I let all the mud and dirt dry up on the bike. Next dday I take it outside and hit it hard with an old soft paintbrush (big house painting kind), and it literally almost all comes off in clouds of dust. this gets it about 80% dirt free, then the rest I do the usual spray bottle of any brand waterless car wash (probably some form of windex and polish, i dunno).

then I just hit the lube areas, and spray some plexus on the frame to make it slippery for the next ride.

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...

Zodiac screwed with this post 12-13-2007 at 08:23 AM
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #7654
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Here's another option for the water hose impaired (city folk). After a dirt ride I let all the mud and dirt dry up on the bike. Next dday I take it outside and hit it hard with an old soft paintbrush (big house painting kind), and it literally almost all comes off in clouds of dust. this gets it about 80% dirt free, then the rest I do the usual spray bottle of any brand waterless car was (probably some form of windex and polish, i dunno).

then I just hit the lube areas, and spray some plexus on the frame to make it slippery for the next ride.
Thanks Perry (and Gummee). That sounds a great idea - I am going to try the brush, pledge or some such and see how that goes.

Course...we are getting 10" of the white shite today so I haven't been riding for a while...(you in Boston ? Gonna get stuck here ?) and I am really missing it Swimming just 'aint doing it for me anymore...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #7655
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Thanks Perry (and Gummee). That sounds a great idea - I am going to try the brush, pledge or some such and see how that goes.

Course...we are getting 10" of the white shite today so I haven't been riding for a while...(you in Boston ? Gonna get stuck here ?) and I am really missing it Swimming just 'aint doing it for me anymore...
Yeah, I just hate using water on any of my bikes, it's too corrosive to everything.

No, I left late last night to avoid the snow hitting NYC and Boston. I'm missing rides too. Come February I'll be in Boston over some wknds, maybe I'll take my new cross bike up there and we can do a few trail rides?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #7656
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,335
Quote:
Yeah, I just hate using water on any of my bikes, it's too corrosive to everything.

No, I left late last night to avoid the snow hitting NYC and Boston. I'm missing rides too. Come February I'll be in Boston over some wknds, maybe I'll take my new cross bike up there and we can do a few trail rides?
Sounds good

Glad you got out.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #7657
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
when your bike is nice and clean, wax the hell out of all the painted surfaces with a good low abrasive carnabu wax (Meguiar's Cleaner-Wax, or whatever). do this a couple times (not on the same day). then its good for a year or more and dirt will just slide off.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #7658
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Sounds like we're fixin to get some of that white shit here in the DC area too.
May hafta get Stick Me out to Wakefield for her first snow ride!

M
Old 12-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #7659
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
I'd be up for that. I hit some snowy trails last sunday. Lots of hike a bike, lots of sliding around, and I rode about half the distance I usually ride, with about twice the total exertion. But overall it was great to get out, and I'm itching to do it again ASAP. I think once I get some better tires and footwear, it'll be a lot of fun.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #7660
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
I'd be up for that. I hit some snowy trails last sunday. Lots of hike a bike, lots of sliding around, and I rode about half the distance I usually ride, with about twice the total exertion. But overall it was great to get out, and I'm itching to do it again ASAP. I think once I get some better tires and footwear, it'll be a lot of fun.
Can I do them on a cross bike?

Let's plan an ADV trail ride for after christmas on a saturday (?)

Old 12-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #7661
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Quote:
Can I do them on a cross bike?

Let's plan an ADV trail ride for after christmas on a saturday (?)
Probably. I've ridden and enjoyed most of them on my cross bike, though a MTB is definitely the better tool for the job. I think I'll take the cross bike and try it if I go out there this weekend; There's a school of thought that says that in fresh snow, it's better to use a narrow tire that cuts through to solid ground, rather than a fat one that wants to wallow on top and slide around.

It's also in a really good area for road rides, so if the trails don't work out we can potentially hit the pavement, instead.

Some saturday after Christmas should work for me.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #7662
AEIOU
Wien ist so herrlich hin

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I don't know about the Aussie, but I prolly have at some point or another in my childhood.

Austria and Switzerland have to be some of the most beautiful areas in the world!

M
hey Gummee, thats cool.. where were you as a kid?
yeah, asutria is really cool to ride - specially the alps, northern italy. The "bundesstrassen" are just very beautiyful to ride, all the green, mountains - i dont like highways.
servus,
Andy

Knife Addict, love MuayThai, my 1150GS and a good Whiskey

AEIOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #7663
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Dad was stationed at Grafenwoer (sp?) down in the SE corner of GER. After that, we headed up to Heidelberg. That was damn near 30 years ago tho.

Spent a lot of time traveling round Europe in a Dodge van with a Mercedes Benz camper top grafted on it. Similar to this one.

Fun times!

M
Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #7664
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Two ride reports in one!!

Yesterday Stick Me and I went round Wakefield. Her using crapidfire shifters for the first time and me on the new Access. riding bike BTW. I hadn't had time to put the Z-Max-es back on the Dean so she was on some DP tires. Don't think she had much traction. Rode like a champ 'cause I took her on some barely remembered trails that weren't couch tater trails. I need to rebuild the mental map of Wakefield/Accotink. Lots of roots, some rocks, some mud and lots of Some parts were over her head. She ended up walking a lot. Gotta get her a little (lot!) more confident off-road. For a rank beginner, she's now ridden more shit than 90% of the people that own bicycles, so don't think I'm bitching! Some of the trails required some 'muscling' to get up em. Didn't think much of it at the time, but...

Today's ride was out in/around Nokesville/Catlett/Aden. Linky to the Gmap Pedometer Route Road ride on the Crosshairs. I could tell by Vint Hill Farms Station that my legs were feelin yesterday's mtn ride. Didn't have much gas left. So what did I do? Modified the route a hair and STILL ended up out for 2.25!

Man! the ride from Catlett to the store where you turn left to get back to Nokesville (Elk Run Rd) is LOTS farther than I remember! I was about to bonk, so I stopped in for 'emergency rations:' a Snickers and a bottle of Mtn Dew. Did the trick. Thank doG I keep some $1 bills in the tool kit for just this reason!

Right after the store, I got chased by a Pit Bull. Fucker wasn't anywhere NEAR a leash/rope whatever. Wished I had a CC permit at that moment... Shouted 'NO!' a few times and it finally got it thru its thick skull that I wasn't a snack.

The rest of the ride was pretty well, well... a ride. I was tired. Legs were all kinda loaded up with lactic acid making any kind of standing to get over the hills 'interesting.'

The one interesting thing I saw was the back gate of Quantico's training areas is now closed and locked. Not sure why, 'cause there really ain't nuthin out there! Them's some good cycling roads, so I may hafta go round the gate and see what happens. Nice rollers. Wheee! on the downs huff-puff-huff-puff on the ups to WHEE! on the downs. Repeat.

Its not snowing. Its not sleeting. I got in 2.25 hours on the bike. I WAS a hair overdressed tho. By about a base layer. Not bad considering how long its been since I've ridden in temps in the 30s (its 37deg out right now.) Only thing that got cold were my toes. The only reason THAT happened is 'cause I don't have proper booties and all I had on were toe booties and some thin wool socks. Gonna hafta fix that asap.

You get in any riding?

M
Old 12-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #7665
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
Probably. I've ridden and enjoyed most of them on my cross bike, though a MTB is definitely the better tool for the job. I think I'll take the cross bike and try it if I go out there this weekend.
Scratch that. I took the cross bike out there today, and it was hopeless -- the narrow tires couldn't make any progress on snow more than a couple of inches deep. On snow that was sorta-packed by snowshoers, it was like trying to pedal through half-set concrete. I gave up after about 20 yards.

I'm pretty sure a mountain bike with the right tires and running low pressures could have handled it, but I won't be taking the cross bike back out there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: