Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 05:52 AM   #7741
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Yup, I have seen it. Don't remember if it was here or another forum.
Here at least a few times. Its OK tho, there's ALWAYS someone that ain't seen it.

Ride report from yesterday or Stick Me Rides Her Birfday Present for the First Time. Drove out to the 'rents' yesterday afternoon for a few reasons so we/I decided that a road ride was in order 'cause 1. it was sorta sunny, and 2. it was sorta warm. So we trundled down the road in the no-longer-ADVTruck to the 'rents' out in what WAS the middle of BFE.

Go to the secret entrance. Denied.

Go round to the front. Locked.

This is certainly starting out badly... Called Mom who was at the Soc Sec office and she came and unlocked the door, then went back to work(sucks). Stick Me and I got ready to go riding when I realized she didn't have cleats on her shoes for the ATACs I'd put on her bike, didn't have a helmet, and didn't have warm gloves. So, I had her try on some of my little brother's shoes. Road shoes worked. That means taking the ATACs off and installing the Look-style pedals from little brother's bike. Yet ONE MORE FARGING DELAY! By this time, I'm fairly cranky 'cause it shouldn't be this fucking tough to get two people out the door.

She was wearing a pair of (my?) Specialized winter gloves and little brother's toe booties. Any effort to make riding as comfy as possible 'cause she's still so new at it that pretty much anything uncomfortable makes it no fun. So I sacrifice my stuff sometimes to make her warm.

So off we go. Into the farming community that is Nokesville. By this time, its roughly 1600 hours and guess what?! Rush hour! Thank doG that rush hour out in the country means that there's only certain roads that get 'busy.' The rest? Not so much! So I took her on the 'hour loop.' Flat. Not too much traffic except for a few roads, and I'd picked a direction that meant we'd be coming at the traffic insteada having it pass us. Better for nervous new cyclists ya know!

So right outta the gate, Stick Me's got it in the big meat and is hammering away. WTF? This road ain't THAT busy! She continues with the hammer session till about the hill by the recycling bin where she just don't have the skillz to stand and sprint up the hill like I woulda. So she gets bogged down cadence-wise and we crest the top. Bam! Back at it. I goofed up the first turn 'cause it'd been 10 years since I'd ridden out here, but we got slowed down before it was too late.

After a bit, she figgers out her legs are tired. Well, duh. Whaddya want after starting out like that?! So we ratchet down the speed and cruise.

Only one 'oops!' moment with the pedals when we unclipped to wait for traffic. She hadta toe her way cross the intersection 'cause she couldn't get her foot in the pedal. Didn't fall, tho it'll happen...

Got back about an hour later with the first ride on the new bike under her belt. She FINALLY figgered out that clipless pedals are a good thing. I've only been telling her since we started riding. Got home and told her that off-road it helps too 'cause yer feet are attached to the bike and you've got more control, but she's gonna hafta try em out and see for her own self (again.)

There's new houses out on my loop. BIG ones. On acres. I'll hafta see what I can do about bringing a camera on the next ride 'cause where the 'rents' house is, is actually quite picturesque for rolling VA farmland. Miss riding out there! Hop out the back door (when its NOT rush hour) and be riding on roads that are deserted.

Now I gotta clean the bikes again. We rode thru a wet section and they're filthy! Good thing I replaced my workstand!

Biss naechste mal

M
Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 AM   #7742
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting a Fetish fixie, I think it's called the Attack.

Does anyone have any experience with Fetish?

I am in Australia, does anyone have any ideas on shipping a bike to Australia?

Or, is anyone coming here for a visit and can you ride my bike on the plane?

Matt
They seem decent enough. Haven't ridden one, but the prices on the web site seem

Haven't the foggiest about shipping to Aus. Can't help you there.

M
Old 12-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #7743
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,717
Gummee - silly question I know but how do you clean your bikes after a ride (road and/or mtn) ? I know how to clean cars and bikes (hot soapy water) but push-bikes ?

Should be simple I guess....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #7744
AEIOU
Wien ist so herrlich hin

Oddometer: 243
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting a Fetish fixie, I think it's called the Attack.

Does anyone have any experience with Fetish?

I am in Australia, does anyone have any ideas on shipping a bike to Australia?

Or, is anyone coming here for a visit and can you ride my bike on the plane?

Matt
i just saw bad aussee on your avatar, and i thought "he's austrian! cool".. then i got it when i read australia.. cracked me up!!
ever been to bad aussee?

Knife Addict, love MuayThai, my 1150GS and a good Whiskey

AEIOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:34 AM   #7745
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Gummee - silly question I know but how do you clean your bikes after a ride (road and/or mtn) ? I know how to clean cars and bikes (hot soapy water) but push-bikes ?

Pretty much anything'll work. For big dirt, spray with a hose and wash like a cage/MC. Chain? I use the PBS degreaser stuff. Seems to do OK.

I really like Pedro's Bike Lust. Makes things all shiny once yer done.

For mtn and cross bikes, try spraying the downtube with Pledge (or other furniture polish) so the dirt'll come off easier. Pam on pedals for muddy rides.

M
Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #7746
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU
i just saw bad aussee on your avatar, and i thought "he's austrian! cool".. then i got it when i read australia.. cracked me up!!
ever been to bad aussee?
I don't know about the Aussie, but I prolly have at some point or another in my childhood.

Austria and Switzerland have to be some of the most beautiful areas in the world!

M
Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #7747
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,364
made it out for a ride yesterday. Yellow River is the closest mountain bike trail to my home, not a bad ride. The weather here has been very warm, 70's in December.

patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #7748
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,865
Quote:

Here's another option for the water hose impaired (city folk). After a dirt ride I let all the mud and dirt dry up on the bike. Next dday I take it outside and hit it hard with an old soft paintbrush (big house painting kind), and it literally almost all comes off in clouds of dust. this gets it about 80% dirt free, then the rest I do the usual spray bottle of any brand waterless car wash (probably some form of windex and polish, i dunno).

then I just hit the lube areas, and spray some plexus on the frame to make it slippery for the next ride.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice

Zodiac screwed with this post 12-13-2007 at 08:23 AM
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #7749
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Here's another option for the water hose impaired (city folk). After a dirt ride I let all the mud and dirt dry up on the bike. Next dday I take it outside and hit it hard with an old soft paintbrush (big house painting kind), and it literally almost all comes off in clouds of dust. this gets it about 80% dirt free, then the rest I do the usual spray bottle of any brand waterless car was (probably some form of windex and polish, i dunno).

then I just hit the lube areas, and spray some plexus on the frame to make it slippery for the next ride.
Thanks Perry (and Gummee). That sounds a great idea - I am going to try the brush, pledge or some such and see how that goes.

Course...we are getting 10" of the white shite today so I haven't been riding for a while...(you in Boston ? Gonna get stuck here ?) and I am really missing it Swimming just 'aint doing it for me anymore...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #7750
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Thanks Perry (and Gummee). That sounds a great idea - I am going to try the brush, pledge or some such and see how that goes.

Course...we are getting 10" of the white shite today so I haven't been riding for a while...(you in Boston ? Gonna get stuck here ?) and I am really missing it Swimming just 'aint doing it for me anymore...
Yeah, I just hate using water on any of my bikes, it's too corrosive to everything.

No, I left late last night to avoid the snow hitting NYC and Boston. I'm missing rides too. Come February I'll be in Boston over some wknds, maybe I'll take my new cross bike up there and we can do a few trail rides?
Old 12-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #7751
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Yeah, I just hate using water on any of my bikes, it's too corrosive to everything.

No, I left late last night to avoid the snow hitting NYC and Boston. I'm missing rides too. Come February I'll be in Boston over some wknds, maybe I'll take my new cross bike up there and we can do a few trail rides?
Sounds good

Glad you got out.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 12-13-2007, 09:09 AM   #7752
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,002
when your bike is nice and clean, wax the hell out of all the painted surfaces with a good low abrasive carnabu wax (Meguiar's Cleaner-Wax, or whatever). do this a couple times (not on the same day). then its good for a year or more and dirt will just slide off.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #7753
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Sounds like we're fixin to get some of that white shit here in the DC area too.
May hafta get Stick Me out to Wakefield for her first snow ride!

M
Old 12-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #7754
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
I'd be up for that. I hit some snowy trails last sunday. Lots of hike a bike, lots of sliding around, and I rode about half the distance I usually ride, with about twice the total exertion. But overall it was great to get out, and I'm itching to do it again ASAP. I think once I get some better tires and footwear, it'll be a lot of fun.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #7755
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
I'd be up for that. I hit some snowy trails last sunday. Lots of hike a bike, lots of sliding around, and I rode about half the distance I usually ride, with about twice the total exertion. But overall it was great to get out, and I'm itching to do it again ASAP. I think once I get some better tires and footwear, it'll be a lot of fun.
Can I do them on a cross bike?

Let's plan an ADV trail ride for after christmas on a saturday (?)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: