Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 319 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 10:32 AM   #7831
/
Brevitous

Oddometer: 6,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling
I've got a couple of road bikes I'm looking to sell if any one is interested.
I've got a hybrid I'm looking to sell Motobecane Cafe Noir 2006 54 cm. What makes are yours?

/
/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #7832
/
Brevitous

Oddometer: 6,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
yeah, got a gift certificate from my family for Nashbar, and on Chritmas day they had a 20% off, ordered Ksyrium ES full wheel set for a $627! that's a great deal.

Only problm is I haven't ridden in over 2 weeks. Gonna try and do some laps in the park today, it's wet but it's warm
Are you going to the mc show today?

/
/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #7833
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by /
Are you going to the mc show today?

/
nahh, BTDT.

I only go every 5 yrs now.

riding in Cpark at 2pm
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:41 AM   #7834
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
I rode my Brother-In-Laws Giant Mountain bike for about 10 miles yesterday in the rain in Lexington, KY. I need a bigger bike than his older Giant. But, I at least got to ride some. I didn't care that it was raining and my feet were freezing. I had to come home and wash everything I was wearing because it was covered in road grime from the rain. Still had a big on my face. My wife thinks I should be checked in!!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #7835
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling
I've got a couple of road bikes I'm looking to sell if any one is interested.
There's ALWAYS someone interested...

...depending on whatcher selling.

oh, and the puppy's growing by leaps and bounds. Gonna be bigger'n we expected, I expect. He started out about the same size as my little brother's Jack Russel. He's now about 3-4" taller than she is! Pics to follow 'shortly.'

M
Old 12-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #7836
Hooksta
Hook

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I rode my Brother-In-Laws Giant Mountain bike for about 10 miles yesterday in the rain in Lexington, KY. I need a bigger bike than his older Giant. But, I at least got to ride some. I didn't care that it was raining and my feet were freezing. I had to come home and wash everything I was wearing because it was covered in road grime from the rain. Still had a big on my face. My wife thinks I should be checked in!!!!
I have a Giant Mountain Bike (purchased in Lexington, KY) purchased a few years ago.

AND I picked up a 2007 Trek 1600 road bike just today for a cool $999. Trek is really stipping away the value on their 2008 models. I couldn't touch these same components without going for at least a 2008 Trek 2.3 for more than $1,500. (I should add that I am in no way what you would call a hardcore road cyclists...just wanting to do some small triathalons this year and ride with some local guys.) My Giant Mtn Bike is a slug (as it should be) against pretty much any road bike.

Frameset
Sizes43, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 63cm
FrameAlpha SLR Aluminum
ForkBontrager Approved, carbon

Wheels

WheelsBontrager Select
TiresBontrager Race Lite, 700x25c
Drivetrain
ShiftersShimano 105 STI, 10 speed
Front DerailleurShimano 105
Rear DerailleurShimano Ultegra
CrankShimano 105 50/39/30
CassetteShimano 105, 12-25, 10 speed
PedalsAlloy/nylon road w/clips and straps

Components

SaddleBontrager Race Basic
Seat PostBontrager Carbon
HandlebarsBontrager Select VR, 31.8mm
StemBontrager Select, 17 degree, 31.8mm
HeadsetAheadset w/semi-cartridge bearings, semi-integrated, sealed, alloy
BrakesetAlloy dual pivot w/Shimano 105 STI levers
Hooksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #7837
ezrydr
Dead Man Riding

Oddometer: 590
All my life I've heard people say that this or that skill is "just like riding a bicycle - you never forget."

Now I have ridden bicycles some. Back in the 70s I rode them a LOT; I even raced them for a few years - never very successfully, but I put in the training miles anyway. Did a good deal of touring, too; I rode a few 200-mile days and any number of 100s.

But then I quit, for various reasons, in the early 80s; by the end of the decade I didn't even own one. I was going to rent one in France one day but the shop had motorcycles for rent too and so much for that....

So a couple of years ago I was having various health problems, and I thought maybe riding a bicycle would be good exercise; and so I went to the local shop and they had this beautiful old Peugeot 12-speed at a bargain price, so I bought it and took it out on the street.

My God! I was all over the damn WORLD on that thing! I never did fall down but I came awfully close and if there'd been any traffic I'd have wobbled into somebody's path for sure. I tried again a few times and finally got it more or less under control, but it still weirded me out - it just didn't feel natural having my ass that far above the road, or changing gears with my fingers, and don't even get me started on that hard little saddle and no shocks at all. Or the naked feeling of no jacket or boots.

It's still sitting in my garage and I guess I ought to try it again some time - maybe in the spring I'll give it another shot, I really do need the workout - but on the whole it was too much money to pay just to explode an old cliche.
El otro de mi sangre y de mi nombre.
- Jose Luis Borges
ezrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #7838
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrydr
All my life I've heard people say that this or that skill is "just like riding a bicycle - you never forget."

Now I have ridden bicycles some. Back in the 70s I rode them a LOT; I even raced them for a few years - never very successfully, but I put in the training miles anyway. Did a good deal of touring, too; I rode a few 200-mile days and any number of 100s.

But then I quit, for various reasons, in the early 80s; by the end of the decade I didn't even own one. I was going to rent one in France one day but the shop had motorcycles for rent too and so much for that....

So a couple of years ago I was having various health problems, and I thought maybe riding a bicycle would be good exercise; and so I went to the local shop and they had this beautiful old Peugeot 12-speed at a bargain price, so I bought it and took it out on the street.

My God! I was all over the damn WORLD on that thing! I never did fall down but I came awfully close and if there'd been any traffic I'd have wobbled into somebody's path for sure. I tried again a few times and finally got it more or less under control, but it still weirded me out - it just didn't feel natural having my ass that far above the road, or changing gears with my fingers, and don't even get me started on that hard little saddle and no shocks at all. Or the naked feeling of no jacket or boots.

It's still sitting in my garage and I guess I ought to try it again some time - maybe in the spring I'll give it another shot, I really do need the workout - but on the whole it was too much money to pay just to explode an old cliche.
As trite as the first advice was, a little more can't help: ride faster. The centrifigal force will help keep you upright and going straight ahead.

I guess mtn biking isn't in the cards just yet, huh?

Good onya for getting a bike! Now, bout the shorts, helmet (you DO need yer head, right?!) and other stuff so we don't hafta read about yer road rash and/or vegetative state.

M
Old 12-31-2007, 05:35 AM   #7839
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

I agree with Gummee to some extent. I was off of bikes for 25 years and I didn't feel too comfortable at first, but more time and speed made a difference. I also never wore helmets growing up, except on motorcycles(dirt bikes mostly). Now I don't ride without one.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:29 PM   #7840
KiLeR650
Renegade Wheel-peeler

Oddometer: 7,115
Its amazing how comfortable nothing more than just seat time can make you on a bike. Even as I kid on a bmx I couldn't do any tricks. At all. I couldn't even hop up onto a curb, I always had to go up a driveway or something to get back on the sidewalk. Now I find after two months on the bike every day, that when I pull those panniers off I'm a freaking hoodlum. For the first time in my life I can do a wheelie. Short and spastic looking, but the front wheels comes off the ground on purpose! I can bunny hop both wheels off the ground! I can do short trackstands! I've even experimented a little with trying stoppies. All on a fucking 700c touring bike with racks. I'm sure I look like the biggest dork ever trying that stuff, but I feel like a supa star.

On a possibly related note, my supposedly over kill hand built 40 spoke wheels, not so over kill afterall. It was either the stuntaz moves, or the 100+k's of offroad track we did loaded up as a short cut, but I've developed a wobble in the rear. Going to have to find someone to true it up in the next big city. My new years resolution is to NOT crack this frame.
KiLeR650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #7841
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
I missed out on a ride on Christmas Day, but I did get one in today, only to the Y and back, but biking and weightlifting should make for a good start to the year.

It is windy here today, luckily it was a tailwind on the way home.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #7842
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,303
How was Christmas? YUMMY! I got a new set of wheels!

I got it brand new for $1700 b/c the shop wanted this discontinued model out. For those that may not know, this is a $4k bike! It's a Gary Fisher Fat Possum XO. Basically race grade components that are all US made- even the crank brothers smarty pedals- and it's a single pivot bike. I wanted the single pivot as I don't trust the others from a durability standpoint. I also don't get bikes very often as this is replacing my 7 year old Sugar 3 (that will go to my fiance).

I also rode the Stumpjumper (nice feel and geometry, but cash for the model I wanted), the Fisher HiFi (carbon fiber is a dangerous thing on a frame for me as I abuse the piss out of my bikes), and the Trek Fuel FX8 (nice geometry and feel, but too rickety for me with all those pivots, plus the components couldn't hold a candle to the XO for the money).

For the hard core nuts out there, here are some of the components:

Frame
Platinum Series ZR9000 Externally Butted aluminum | Genesis All Mountain Geometry
Swing Arm
6061 T6 aluminum | Box channel main pivot | External 38mm OD cartridge bearings with eccentric cam
Fork
Maverick DUC 32 | External rebound and Climbing Mode | Internal Volume Adjust | 24mm Thru-Axle | 150mm travel
Rear Shock
Manitou Split RPA | Externally adjustable Platform Plus Damping | External rebound
Headset
Cane Creek S8 | Cartridge | Sealed
Bottom Bracket
TruVativ GXP External
Crank
Bontrager Race Lite GXP 44/32/22
Front Derailleur
Shimano M-761 XT
Rear Derailleur
SRAM X.0
Shifters
SRAM X.0
Cassette
SRAM PG990 | 11-34 | 9spd
Chain
Shimano HG93
Front Wheel
Bontrager Race Lite Disc wheelsystem w/24mm thru-axle
Rear Wheel
Bontrager Race Lite Disc wheelsystem
Front Tire
Bontrager Big Earl 26x2.35 Folding
Rear Tire
Bontrager Big Earl 26x2.35 Folding
Front Brake
Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic disc | 6" rotor
Rear Brake
Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic disc | 6" rotor
Brake Levers
Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic
Handlebar
Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Riser
Stem
Maverick DUC 32 OS
Grips
Bontrager Lock-On
Saddle
Bontrager Select | Hollow Cromoly Rails
Seatpost
Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon
Old 01-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #7843
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Nice new bike. WAAAAYYYYY outta my price range. Have fun!!!!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #7844
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Nice new bike. WAAAAYYYYY outta my price range. Have fun!!!!
Well I spent $1500 on the Sugar 7 years ago, so actually, it wasn't too much if you think about it. I also did very few upgrades and changes to the Sugar over the years totalling only a couple hundred bucks. So that was my starting point and ended up saying that I didn't want to spend more than $2k.

This one has THE FUNK for components, so I doubt I'll be doing much for upgrades anytime soon (although I might get wider riser bars and the carbon spooks me). And for how dirt cheap it was (relatively speaking) it was a smokin deal. Basically I could sell it for more than I paid for it.

I bought it back in OH when there for the holidays and it cost $300 to ship it back, but I'm still way in my price range.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #7845
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
Well I spent $1500 on the Sugar 7 years ago, so actually, it wasn't too much if you think about it. I also did very few upgrades and changes to the Sugar over the years totalling only a couple hundred bucks. So that was my starting point and ended up saying that I didn't want to spend more than $2k.

This one has THE FUNK for components, so I doubt I'll be doing much for upgrades anytime soon (although I might get wider riser bars and the carbon spooks me). And for how dirt cheap it was (relatively speaking) it was a smokin deal. Basically I could sell it for more than I paid for it.

I bought it back in OH when there for the holidays and it cost $300 to ship it back, but I'm still way in my price range.
Good luck and have fun with the new bike.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: