Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 498 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #7831
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King
Wasn't this about the time that someone lost a stage due to the new levers. I can't remember all the details, but something like the rider couldn't remember what gear he was in during a sprint for the line, looked down to check, and SPLAT!

Back in my glory days () a lot of guys I rode with wouldn't make the switch using that event as their defense.
I don't remember that, but what I DO remember is switching em back out for bar-cons in the winter. Mistakenly thinking that they'd wear out or malfunction...

The nicest thing about NOT running DT shifters is that you don't hafta guess what gear yer gonna need for the field sprint. Useta be you'd pick what gear you thought guys were gonna top on in right before the last corner and you held that till the end. If you guessed low, you'd hafta either hit the shifter with a knee (unlikely) or sit back down and shift. Sitting back down means losing all that nice momentum you just gained. Guessing too high meant grinding out a huge gear till you got on top of it.

BTDT both ways

Not no mo! Brifters are WAY nifty things!

Oh, Flip, PM me for some workout ideas on them rollers. I've got some old ones I useta do that'll kick yer ass.

M
Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #7832
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
These posts on rollers is very timely.

As of tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a nice set of rollers (thanks Unga )

Cheers....

You coming up, Kevin? Stop in for a beer.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #7833
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
You coming up, Kevin? Stop in for a beer.
Sadly no

I am picking the rollers up via a friend of Unga's much closer to home.

Be prepared for a "I had to go to the ER tonight...." thread coming to you in the not too distant future
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #7834
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Sadly no

I am picking the rollers up via a friend of Unga's much closer to home.

Be prepared for a "I had to go to the ER tonight...." thread coming to you in the not too distant future
Its easy. Just ride straight!

M
Old 01-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #7835
Intrigue_262000
Did you see that wheelie?

Oddometer: 1,070
Trek 970

anyone know where I can get some new decals for a trek 970? its in need of a paint job. I love the bike and do not want to spend the dough for a new bike, so, its getting repainted.
Intrigue_262000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #7836
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Its easy. Just ride straight!

M
Hopefully I'll be able to do that
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 01-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #7837
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
as per your request Merc,

I'm by no means an expert roller rider, but here's my advice.

1. Set them up so you have a wall or a bed right next to you, either one. Just make sure you're covered on both sides in case of a fall, which you will do.
2. Don't use clip ons until you get used to them.
3. Start out in a high gear, so you can get your spin up. It's not so much the speed but that your spinning to get the rollers up to speed.
4. People told me not to look at the front wheel, I disagree, it kept me on the rollers better when I was learning. the only problem is every move you make with the bars is exaggerated, so try to become real subtle.
5. Don't get up in the saddle to pedal harder, you'll likely bounce off the rollers.
6. Set up a fan because you'll be sweating like a pig in 3 minutes.
7. Lower your usual seat height at first, it'll help with balance issues.
8. Wear a helmet... good luck!

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #7838
InfoManiac
Always Learning

Oddometer: 5,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry

1. Set them up so you have a wall or a bed right next to you, either one. Just make sure you're covered on both sides in case of a fall, which you will do.
3. Start out in a high gear, so you can get your spin up. It's not so much the speed but that your spinning to get the rollers up to speed.
4. People told me not to look at the front wheel, I disagree, it kept me on the rollers better when I was learning. the only problem is every move you make with the bars is exaggerated, so try to become real subtle.
5. Don't get up in the saddle to pedal harder, you'll likely bounce off the rollers.

The only thing I do differently s to use a chair backed up to one side of the rollers, instead of getting close to a wall. I balance myself using the back of the chair to get started.

After I've been on the rollers for a week or so, I can usually start up without any support.

We used to have roller contests at our mountain bike parties to see who could stay on the rollers the longest after 4 or 5 hours of partying....

Smugmug coupon ----- 5w5TPcXpTtBdw --- Save $5.00!!
InfoManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #7839
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKnowledge
We used to have roller contests at our mountain bike parties to see who could stay on the rollers the longest after 4 or 5 hours of partying....
When I was at the LBS in the fall for some spare tubes after going through two in one short ride, and they were talking about doing that with a moped they had in the building, and then they did it with a recumbent. They said they were laughing forever with trying to pedal up the moped on rollers.

Then when I bought a couple of six packs at Christmas, I told them they didn't need to drink these before doing a roller contest. There is a bar about three stores down, so maybe they just walk to the bar and then back to the LBS to do the falling down. :grn
Old 01-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #7840
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 18,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO
If anyone has a swing bike for sale, please PM me!
Thanks

Nearly killed myself on one of those at my cousin's house many years ago, they aren't very good for riding wheelies.
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #7841
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,652
Quote:
The only thing I do differently is to use a chair backed up to one side of the rollers, instead of getting close to a wall. I balance myself using the back of the chair to get started.
If I remember correctly, this is what I did as well. And it didn't take long before I didn't need anything to get going. Remember to drop those shoulders and elbows and relax because as mentioned, tiny inputs will be amplified.

Remember to make sure the rollers are adjusted for your wheelbase. I'm thinking the front tire should be directly on top of front roller.

I encourage people to use rollers because it kinda forces you to use a really smooth pedal stroke. On a trainer you can peddle "squares" or really thrash about and your bike remains steady.

Good luck and have fun. Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #7842
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry

Thanks Perry. Much appreciated
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 01-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #7843
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc

Remember to make sure the rollers are adjusted for your wheelbase. I'm thinking the front tire should be directly on top of front roller.

I encourage people to use rollers because it kinda forces you to use a really smooth pedal stroke. On a trainer you can peddle "squares" or really thrash about and your bike remains steady.

I forgot about setting it up for the bike. It does make a difference, and as everyone has said very little movement is needed. I went to rollers, as it was suggested that it would improve my riding skills, compared to a trainer. I have seen the difference in my riding on the rollers the more I do it. I doubt that I ever get to the no hands riding on the rollers, but you never know.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #7844
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:

The only thing I do differently s to use a chair backed up to one side of the rollers, instead of getting close to a wall. I balance myself using the back of the chair to get started.

After I've been on the rollers for a week or so, I can usually start up without any support.

Thanks

Love the chair idea.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 01-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #7845
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
If I remember correctly, this is what I did as well. And it didn't take long before I didn't need anything to get going. Remember to drop those shoulders and elbows and relax because as mentioned, tiny inputs will be amplified.

Thanks Mark.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: