Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 154 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #7861
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
How was Christmas? YUMMY! I got a new set of wheels!

That is an awesome bike there mein frau. I just decided after 25 years of riding nothing but moutain bikes I wanted to start doing some triathlons so I sprung for the Tarmac. You will like your new bike.
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #7862
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,436
I dont pass by this thread often, there is heaps of info here though, anyway - 1 hr ago I saw my new bike - I got it ordered in specially - an Orbea Zenit.

it uses an aluminuim frame - Lanza they call it, its gray and dark blue - so will hide in the shadows! 11.3Kg / 24.9 Lb - Top of the range hardtail racer from Orbea.

Fox FRL100 forks, Avid Juicy 5 brakes, Mavic cross trail wheels, and LX and XT gear.

Pick it up saturday..... ordered it before christmas and waiting waiting waiting.......

Its gonna be a race bike and so no riding in the rain till the racing starts - which is a bummer because the wet season just started here.....

Cheers

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:14 AM   #7863
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu
I just bought this one for $1599 on sale ($1000 off ). Full carbon, all Ultegra and DuraAce. You can find some sweet deals on '07's out there right now depending on what you are going to do with it.

That's a hot deal Mac, just curious why it has a Triple crank, but I guess that's cool if you ride steep hills alot.

I have that same seatpost on my Fixed gear, you'll like it. I bet that frame is stiff as hell.

good luck w it.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:13 AM   #7864
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
So tell me, please, am I completely crazy to even contemplate spending $1600 on this?

Are the specs worthy of that kind of price? Is it a rip-off. I can see a $200-300 hit for the Ducati tie-in. I like the style, and I need to replace my old Trek and I've always wanted a bianchi.
Thinking, perhaps naively, that getting a new bike will be added incentive to ride more often.

http://www.bianchi.it/en/productsDuc...eet_Y7BD8.aspx
All I'm sayin is that there is one HELL of an expensive set of stickers!

M
Old 01-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #7865
ABADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
My new ride.

I love the "fixed" gears

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #7866
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
I have nothing against fixed bikes, but is there a reason there isn't at least a front brake on fixed bikes. I understand the feet are the driving and stopping motions, but I would think you would want at least a front brake.

Just curious.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #7867
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I have nothing against fixed bikes, but is there a reason there isn't at least a front brake on fixed bikes. I understand the feet are the driving and stopping motions, but I would think you would want at least a front brake.

Just curious.
Racing you don't need it/can't have it. For the street doods, its about machismo/cool factor.

Me? Give me brakes ANY day! I've had too many close calls to not have em.

M
Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #7868
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

So I'm trying to work up the motivation to go fer a ride. The high in the DC area's supposed to be about 33deg FARGING BRRRR dammit!

Anyone wanna go out and suffer with me?! I gotta make sure that I can get Stick Me and myself to the Old Dominion Brewery in Ashburn tomorrow via the Ffx Co. Pkwy and the W&OD trail. Don't wanna, but I know I needta.

I'm working on the story from last Thurs. be patient.

M
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #7869
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Here I am... Talking to myself.

Man! Talk about a motivation-sapper! Went to take the dog out so I could go riding and it bout took my breath away.

Motivation = 0 right about now. (along with the temps I might add!)

M
Old 01-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #7870
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu
That is an awesome bike there mein frau. I just decided after 25 years of riding nothing but moutain bikes I wanted to start doing some triathlons so I sprung for the Tarmac. You will like your new bike.
Danke! I have been riding the Sugar to work the past couple of days and I CAN'T WAIT to get the new machina! I've been checking UPS every 5 minutes to see the status. Did you see the STUPID spec sheet? I just couldn't pass it up for the money and those components. 6" of travel at both ends and it still climbs well? Yeah, it's a touch over 30 lb, but the down hill is what we all live for anyway. My days of 6 foot drop ins are over, but floating a rock garden at speed without having to use the killer Juicy 7s will be worth the extra poundage.

I am fighting the roadie bit like it's my job, but I may succomb at some point. I can't do triathalons due to the knees, but I could deal with 100 miles on a bicycle...

I'll hopefully have some wind built up here in the coming weeks so I can really test the new bike.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #7871
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,703
I used to ride everywhere in college. Last few years, not much at all. Changed the bars, seatpost, and riser on my bike last spring and rode it twice. To some extent, this was because I was out of shape and it was a total pain in the ass (and quads).

So this year, in an effort to lose a few pounds and be ready for spring, I bought a trainer.

To the right of the photo is where my satellite connection comes in, so I need to rig up a bootleg shelf to mount a TV and receiver, and I'm good to go.

I tried it out with the tires that are on it, and it became readily apparent that I need a slick out back to quell vibration.

Thanks for the inspiration folks. I keep seeing this thread and feeling like a lazy fatass. Will let you know how it goes.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #7872
ABADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Racing you don't need it/can't have it. For the street doods, its about machismo/cool factor.

Me? Give me brakes ANY day! I've had too many close calls to not have em.

M
I do have brakes on mine. I'm macho but not that macho.....
Old 01-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #7873
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
All I'm sayin is that there is one HELL of an expensive set of stickers!

M
Kind of what I figured. I guess I'll just hit a bike shop and get look for a bargain on a good Trek or Specialized. I'm not a good enough rider to need anything special, I just have a "philosophy" about buying the best I can afford.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #7874
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476
Kind of what I figured. I guess I'll just hit a bike shop and get look for a bargain on a good Trek or Specialized. I'm not a good enough rider to need anything special, I just have a "philosophy" about buying the best I can afford.
Me too. That's why I buy used. Last year's stuff is still fan-farging-tastic for what I wanna do with it.

M
Old 01-04-2008, 04:01 AM   #7875
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,001
the kid who died here Wednesday on a fixie had no front brake. no helmet either. they've posted that he was a 18 yr old SF State student visiting family for the holidays.

apparently there's no evidence that he actually hit the fedex truck that was turning right in front of him, so it seems probably he locked up and highsided, and smacked his stupid nekkid noggin into the ground.

again, this was right after a short steep downhill where bicycles are supposed to 'take the lane' as its a very narrow lane with a wall on the right and zero shoulder. he was behind the truck.

Personally, I think it should be a LAW that any bicycle operated on the street must have a front brake, but I know that would upset the BMX and Cruiser crowd with their coaster brakes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: