User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #781
MineMapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
It ain't the distance, it's the raving fucking lunatics that are trying to kill me......

I pass several guys everyday, hugging the side of Rt. 29 in the pre-dawn dusk like their lives depended on it (which it does, obviously). All the neon jackets and blinky lights in the world, and they are still hard to spot at 65 MPH, even if you're looking for them. For reasons articulated elsewhere in this thread, no thanks....
MineMapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:08 PM   #782
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
You have all motivated me. I'm going to Walmart this day and buying an 85 dollar cruiser bike with one speed to ride on the bike path with the kids.

Thank you.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #783
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineMapper
It ain't the distance, it's the raving fucking lunatics that are trying to kill me......

I pass several guys everyday, hugging the side of Rt. 29 in the pre-dawn dusk like their lives depended on it (which it does, obviously). All the neon jackets and blinky lights in the world, and they are still hard to spot at 65 MPH, even if you're looking for them. For reasons articulated elsewhere in this thread, no thanks....
Oooh. Rt 29 is NO BUENO! (outside the Beltway) BT haven't DT 'cause I LIKE living thank you!

INSIDE the beltway is another story. I've ridden up and down that lots. Not so bad. The WOD is better tho. doG did I just say that?!

M
Old 08-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #784
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
You have all motivated me. I'm going to Walmart this day and buying an 85 dollar cruiser bike with one speed to ride on the bike path with the kids.

Thank you.
Your kids will thank you

RW
Old 08-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #785
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
So what kinds of bags are the fellow commuters out there using? Gotta keep the goods nice and dry.

Arkel for me. A bit $$$ but NICE stuff...

RW
Old 08-22-2006, 01:26 PM   #786
motojedi
asphalt adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance

Thank you.

[vancekids in the future]"Remember when Dad went and got that bike so he could take us riding on the bike trails? He's the coolest. I have him to thank for turning me on to a sport that's providing a lifetime of coordination, traffic negotiating skills and exercise."

or vance doesn't set a good example by wearing a helmet and........

[vancekids in the future]"Remember when Dad went and got that bike so he could take us riding on the bike trails?" Yeah, and he said he didn't need a helmet just before that Escalade ran the stop sign and he augered into the quarter panel like bunker-buster? He still talks kinda funny."

just kiddin..... but really, please put some lids on the kids.

the preceding was a public service announcement from motojedi industries.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #787
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
So what kinds of bags are the fellow commuters out there using? Gotta keep the goods nice and dry.

RW
bag? Timbuk2 messenger for the laptop, Camelbak bag without the bladder for days I need to bring in a change of undies.

M
Old 08-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #788
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
The guys on BARF and SBR (a pair of Bay Area MC sites) are ALL up in arms about 'them damn cyclists that hold up traffic.' Ummm yeah. Its amazing how similarly the two groups are viewed by those not in em...

M
i think a friend of mine cut and pasted a certain dipshit owner of a M/C repair shop in petaluma's anti-bicycle comments,complete with his contact info,over to a popular roadbike forum recently.
i wonder if he's changed his phone # yet?
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #789
knary
sunshine and puppies

Oddometer: 29,321
Hit-and-run driver appears to have struck cyclist on purpose
01:45 PM PDT on Tuesday, August 22, 2006

By ANTONIA GIEDWOYN, kgw.com Staff

SCHOLLS, Ore. -- A hit-and-run driver struck a bicyclist last weekend who was training for a ride to raise money for cancer research, and the incident may have been intentional.

(The portion of Hwy. 219 where the bicyclist was struck.)

The victim, Cindy Sharp, is a surgeon and mother of two-year-old triplets. She underwent a four-hour surgery Tuesday for her arm, which was severely injured.

Sharp had been one of four cyclists descending a hill northbound on Highway 219, a little west of Scholls in Washington County, Saturday afternoon when she was apparently hit and pushed off the road by the trailer of a pickup truck towing a boat, said Sgt. David Thompson with Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

The impact threw Sharp off her bike and into the bottom of a ditch. She said water was thrown at her by someone in the truck as it passed, before the trailer hit her.

“Obeying the rules of the road and being as accommodating to motorists as possible, she was riding close to the white painted fog line at the right side of the road. The truck refused to make any allowance for the cyclists it was passing and did not move to the left to give any clearance even though there was no oncoming traffic,” said cycling coach and team leader John Schader.

Schader said the same boat trailer had brushed his shoulder as the vehicle passed him and came extremely close to one of the other cyclists. The driver had been tailgating a vehicle in front of it which had safely passed the bicyclists. The driver who was tailgated had made room for the cyclists, as Oregon law requires motorists to do.

The suspect vehicle was described as a shiny red, late model pickup truck towing a very new-looking black and red ski boat, possibly a 23-foot Centurian model.

Anyone who sees the vehicle was asked to write down the license plate number and call police.

Sharp was riding with Team In Training, the nation's largest endurance sports training program which raises over $500 million annually to support The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
(KGW reporter Amy Troy contributed to this article.)

source

Go Jane Go - Analog Jane and her three chamber heart

Goodbye Toolfan
knary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:27 PM   #790
SofaKing
What the fark!!

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus

RW
I'm actually using a Columbia courier bag. I can haul a lot of stuff when I need to. Already has a padded sleeve for the laptop.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #791
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,847
Damn Scott, hope they catch that fucker.

How fucked up is that - she's a surgeon and gets her arm bashed up....?

You know the perp will act like he or she didn't know they hit anyone, and get away with it too....
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #792
SofaKing
What the fark!!

Oddometer: 396
Bike Messenger races.

NYC
http://www.digave.com/videos/red-web.mpg
SFO
http://www.digave.com/videos/sfx-web.mpg
Baltimore - road rage episode
http://www.digave.com/videos/b-web.mpg
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #793
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing
Way cool.

If y'all ever get the chance, read "The Immortal Class: Bike Messengers and the Cult of Human Power " by Travis Culley. Amazon linkey

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #794
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing
Bike Messenger races.

Baltimore - road rage episode
http://www.digave.com/videos/b-web.mpg
The guy on the green fixie is badass.