User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 510 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #8056
6Speed4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
info about mounting a bicycle on my DR 650?

wow, i had no idea that there was a cycling thread here, very happy. I was wondering if anyone could send me (or post) a link or info about mounting a bicycle? I went coast to coast on my DR and really missed cycling. plus I also want the mount for SAG support on century rides. I would appreciate any help

Rob
6Speed4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:20 AM   #8057
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Speed4
...mounting a bicycle?

I'm pretty sure that's illegal in Georgia.

Seriously though, pretty much everything I've seen involves some sort of homebrew approach to mounting a cartop carrier. I might try the same thing this summer.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 AM   #8058
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
I'm pretty sure that's illegal in Georgia.
I would bet in Georgia, Alabama and Kentucky that is not a problem, as long as you are related to the bike in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Seriously though, pretty much everything I've seen involves some sort of homebrew approach to mounting a cartop carrier. I might try the same thing this summer.
I am planning on making something for my Kawasaki Voyager XII to put two bicycles on the hitch, and also making a separate golf club carrier, as I have a few people requesting them.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:00 AM   #8059
Roboter
Vagabond

Oddometer: 834
Vintage BMX

I have raced BMX in an indoor track when I was a kid in Detroit. Just thinking about those times brings joyful tears.
I stumbled upon a BMX bike link and got a bug to buy one. Browsing Ebay I found some vintage bikes, but most of them were from a few guys that build em' with scattered parts. What's a good resource for finding a vintage BMX bike? An old Hutch, Redline, Mongoose would suffice. I rode a Mongoose when I was a kid with SkyWay Mag wheels.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #8060
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Redbones in Somerville, MA

I started this thread in NE Region - thought it might be useful to reference it in this thread....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...37#post6735837
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #8061
heynowref

Oddometer: 1,215
Finally got back onto my bike because I am a FAT FUCK and need some exercise. Rode Saturday and today - only 15 miles or so each and all I gotta say is man my TAINT hurts.

I need two more good rides and it won't be a problem anymore(gone through this before) but man it's annoying now.

""Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - stolen from someone
heynowref is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 AM   #8062
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeR650
I can not stress this enough. Wear good bike shorts. If you're a fat fuck (me too), wear a pair of basketball shorts on top and no one will even know. But the comfort over distance factor will increase like you're suddenly pedaling on a cloud. Dont fear the lycra. Just hide it if need be.
+1

I started with shitty shitty shorts. As soon as I got a good pair, it was like night and day.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #8063
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Speed4
I was wondering if anyone could send me (or post) a link or info about mounting a bicycle?

There are a few ideas in this thread.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #8064
heynowref

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLeR650
I can not stress this enough. Wear good bike shorts. If you're a fat fuck (me too), wear a pair of basketball shorts on top and no one will even know. But the comfort over distance factor will increase like you're suddenly pedaling on a cloud. Dont fear the lycra. Just hide it if need be.
Thanks for that. Yeah I wear Pearl Izumi shorts and tights if cold weather like this morning. Not a problem with lycra, just a first time on bike in a while issue. Happens every year.

6'4" 223ish - I don't feel like a FF except when the wife gives me the look about my little beer belly. But it's sooooo cute, I say.

""Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - stolen from someone
heynowref is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #8065
Turbocelica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
1st venture into 29er land....

I rented this from one of the local shops and had a blast on three rides this last weekend. 1st time on full suspension and the same for 29" wheels. I have to say I enjoyed it and want a new bike more than before. I can also rent Giants, Ibis, Specialized & Ventana from other shops for some further comparison.

Turbocelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #8066
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,220
I have decided to start riding a bicycle again, to get in shape after some surgery. I also looked at my old bike and decided that am going to get something new and nice. I am not going to be riding down a hill a 60mph or bounding over tree roots and bolders. Just nice riding on the "roads" (they are gravel/mud) around the house and perhaps places like the Katy Trail.

I am looking at these two bikes and am looking for suggestions.

Giant Sedona DX
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...le/1277/29338/

or
Trek Navigator 3.0
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...r/navigator30/

Any other suggestions? Opinions on the two above bicycles?
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #8067
Skibum
Ready...Fire...Aim

Oddometer: 6,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72
I have decided to start riding a bicycle again, to get in shape after some surgery. I also looked at my old bike and decided that am going to get something new and nice. I am not going to be riding down a hill a 60mph or bounding over tree roots and bolders. Just nice riding on the "roads" (they are gravel/mud) around the house and perhaps places like the Katy Trail.

Giant Sedona DX

or
Trek Navigator 3.0

I rode a Giant Sedona for the past 5 or 6 years. Great for gravel roal riding. I've done rides of 40 miles with it. I never had any issues beyond replacing tires.

In the land of the blind the man with one eye is king.
Skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #8068
Shorty
carpe'diem ona motorcycle

Oddometer: 463
Quote:

Giant Sedona DX

or
Trek Navigator 3.0

Consider opinions but...
Test ride those models in your appropriate size and any others that appeal to you when you are at bike shop. Pick what you like best. Good bike shops will allow test rides and help with fit.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #8069
ifallalot
Jo mamma makes me cry...

Oddometer: 95
Fruita Fat tire fest roll call!!!

anyone going this weekend? I will be down there...
ifallalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:58 AM   #8070
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,822
Quote:

Giant Sedona DX

or
Trek Navigator 3.0

I sell Sedonas. Decent hybrids, but nothing special.

If yer lookin to get more performance-oriented kinda bikes, but still upright-ish check out the Dual-sport line from Fisher: Kaitai, Utopia, Montare or more road-ish: Mendotta.

Depends on whatcha want em for. If yer cruisin around the neighborhood, get the hybrid. If yer gonna go out 'riding' get something nicer.

HTH

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: