Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 512 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 06:46 AM   #8341
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer: 41,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
So how many wknds went by before you figured out you might need a stack of small bills to "deal" with this tough and biting issue.....?

Would you rather we handed over a wad of sweat soaked singles....?
See above.

Quote:
get a better bike!
Not for a while. You people are worse than BMW riders.

AKA "Ham Steak" - Bumfucked Hillbillies MC
VespaFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #8342
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by VespaFitz

Not for a while. You people are worse than BMW riders.

tell me about it, it's a freaking disease.

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #8343
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Quote:
tell me about it, it's a freaking disease.
Are you getting the PIAA 510s for your helmet?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #8344
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:

I just got the Garmin 710.................and I wonder why I can't afford a house....

Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #8345
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
No, but NiteRider makes a bitchin helmet-mounted HID lamp.

A ten-mile bike commute would be awesome. There's 25 miles between my doorstep and work. I'm not up to 50-mile days 5 days a week.

Yet.

The state just approved the money to replace an old pedestrian/bike bridge across the first river on my route. God only knows when they'll actually do it. It'll be before I retire if I'm lucky.
Bimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:08 AM   #8346
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble
No, but NiteRider makes a bitchin helmet-mounted HID lamp.

A ten-mile bike commute would be awesome. There's 25 miles between my doorstep and work. I'm not up to 50-mile days 5 days a week.
I drop my daughter off two days a week in the opposite direction, so the best I'm going to be able to do is three days a week for the time being. Better than nothing, though.

Quote:
The state just approved the money to replace an old pedestrian/bike bridge across the first river on my route. God only knows when they'll actually do it. It'll be before I retire if I'm lucky.
If there's enough of an outcry for it, I've seen pedestrian/bike things go through a lot quicker than car stuff. Especially if you can get some groups to put up some money for it.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #8347
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,917
Dirtgrlll tried to kill me and my dog in the woods yesterday, She's a savage on 2 wheels. Love the new bike but still haven't mastered the clip in petals yet. I did appreciate the rest I got when we'd stop and I couldn't click out of the petals and would promptly lay down on the forest floor!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #8348
DirtGrlll
Positively Motocyclic

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala
Dirtgrlll tried to kill me and my dog in the woods yesterday, She's a savage on 2 wheels. Love the new bike but still haven't mastered the clip in petals yet. I did appreciate the rest I got when we'd stop and I couldn't click out of the petals and would promptly lay down on the forest floor!
Don't let him fool ya! The pup did great keeping up with my 7 year old lab mix (Hannah the Huntress...left my 11 year old lab Jake the Diesel home due to the heat and humidity) as they charged the trails and found all the swamp mud and water they could wallow in.

Kamala is a natural, just those freaking cleats need to be worn in. Even with me laying on the ground underneath the pedal to make sure all was lined up for him to get clipped in didn't always guarantee success (not only is that quite the visual, taken outta context I suppose that's my first potentially epic Jo Momma quote ).

He rode like a champ even when unattached to the pedals - which I know from my own personal experience is one helluva challenge - and was kicking a$$ by the end when the cleats finally started to wear in just a bit to allow engagement.

I'll give him a couple of rides to get accustomed to the bike and the pedals then we will hit up one of the best local trails around and I'll have some pics to post of flight time off some seriously sweet drops.
DirtGrlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #8349
Bubba
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Making a living by bike

Snapped a picture of these guys on my way to work today

Old 07-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #8350
AKStrom
Just call me 'Magellan'

Oddometer: 1,234
The part that amuses me the most is the serious bicyclists on the local paved trail (King County Interurban Trail) that look at you like you're some poor beknighted cretin.

Not sure whether it's the equipment, my weight (~200lbs), or whether they're just snooty anti-social bastards.

They sure got no problems asking me for directions through the Pacific city streets when they're at the end of the rail trail though. Not like they can follow driving directions worth a damn, of course. They keep missing the turns that aren't marked with stoplights. Sail right through all the 4-ways without even turning their heads.

Almost as amusing is the local folks out walking the trail that thank me whenever I tell them that I'm passing them on the left. The serious bicyclists almost never deign to address the lower lifeforms that are also using the trail.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:33 AM   #8351
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala

What clip ins do you have? I still have a hard time MTN biking with clip ins, no problem on the roadies, but in dirt I like to plant my foot on terra firma often.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:49 AM   #8352
DirtGrlll
Positively Motocyclic

Quote:
What clip ins do you have? I still have a hard time MTN biking with clip ins, no problem on the roadies, but in dirt I like to plant my foot on terra firma often.
I spec'd the Time Z Controls on the bike for him

Time ATAC Z Pedals

This was my recommendation for a few reasons. First, I saw how frustrated Tallerman got at Borderland not being clipped in and getting bounced off the pedals in our rocky NE trails and loss of efficiency in climbs. So my hope was that even though the learning curve can be steep, it is worth it in the long run. I tried to switch to flat pedals on my downhill bike and hated it - landing drops killed my ankles and the aforementioned bouncing off in rock gardens and near inability to climb (double whammy since the bike won't accept a front derrailleur so I'm always on a 32T sprocket) had me put the Z Controls on the Big Hit within just a few rides.

I also specifically recommended Times over SPD due to a nasty slice that still scars my leg over six years later. The disadvantage is that the SPDs can be adjusted to be quite loose so easier to get in and out of but once you get accustomed to the Times, you no longer have the sharp edges of SPD bites. Plus there's their excellent mud shedding abilities and durability. I'm still running my very first pair of the Z Controls that were on my '02 Turner XCE and they now reside on my Turner RFX still performing like a champ. I also specifically recommeded the Z Controls for the platform around the cleat given the technical stuff we intend to tackle.

Unfortunately I belatedly remembered that my very first set of Times (the xc-oriented ATACs) were ordered from Speedgoat and they offered an option of "shaved" cleats to ease the break-in period. Think Kamala is going to both shave down the cleats a bit and also trim some of the rubber from the bottom of his shoes that may be interfering with the engagement point.

So really, I am NOT trying to kill him. Quite the opposite as I selfishly want to keep him in one piece!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:24 AM   #8353
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtGrlll
I spec'd the Time Z Controls on the bike for him

Time ATAC Z Pedals

No one local carries Time MTB pedals. I am looking for new pedals but ones that I could wear regular shoes if i just want to run to the store for a quick ride. I was thinking of the Cook Brothers Mallet's but these look like the cleat engagement part might even be lower in relation to the rest of the pedal.
Are the Time's semi comfortable or usable if I wear regular shoes?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #8354
DirtGrlll
Positively Motocyclic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
No one local carries Time MTB pedals. I am looking for new pedals but ones that I could wear regular shoes if i just want to run to the store for a quick ride. I was thinking of the Cook Brothers Mallet's but these look like the cleat engagement part might even be lower in relation to the rest of the pedal.
I actually wear a relatively low end riding shoe (Specialized Tahoe) because when I need to clip out on our New England slickrock I want some traction. They have fairly recessed cleats and nice rubber soles and I don't find them uncomfortable for walking.

But I'm assuming that you are asking about using regular cycling shoes for a dedicated ride vs. just hopping on and popping down the street in regular sneakers. In the latter case, yes - they are at least semi comfortable/usable to ride in regular shoes.

FYI, when my LBS doesn't have them in stock and I need them quicker than they can order, they are easily located online. The pic I embedded was from PricePoint but if you Google you'll find plenty of options.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:23 AM   #8355
SledgED
dipsh*t noob

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
I was thinking of the Cook Brothers Mallet's but these look like the cleat engagement part might even be lower in relation to the rest of the pedal.
Not sure if you're referring to the Crank Brother's Mallet, but if so I just put a set of mallet 2's on my ride. So far I really like them. The cleat engagement is above the surface of the platform and rotates around the spindle. It's not so high that it is annoying when just riding with a thin soled shoe or sandal. Engagement for me is easier than spd, and they disengage nicely when necessary. The Acid line is similar.
SledgED is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: