Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 4.37 average. Display Modes
Old 08-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #841
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
This is the ride that I'm doing with some old friends starting a week from Sunday.

http://www.atatrail.org/

I did the southern half ( C&O Canal ) about 10 yrs ago. The northern section between Pgh and Cumberland is old Western Maryland RR , and has only been complete for less than a year.

RW

That looks sweet, I just rode (motorcycle) through the alleghenys in April, beautiful. The highest point east of the Mississippi is there.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #842
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,576
Bought a Bicycle Decided I Needed to Get My Old Fat Ass in Shape

So, after reading all these threads I decided what I needed was a Trek 7.3 Disc-----Wrong, seems they way underestimated sales for 06 and they (corporate) have no more. So the guy at the local cycle shop convinces me to buy a Jamis Coda Elite----says it's a better bike and yada,yada,yada sale priced at $800.

Question for you bike nuts----Did I do ok or do I suck
Old 08-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #843
SofaKing
What the fark!!

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by azabeemerboy
So, after reading all these threads I decided what I needed was a Trek 7.3 Disc-----Wrong, seems they way underestimated sales for 06 and they (corporate) have no more. So the guy at the local cycle shop convinces me to buy a Jamis Coda Elite----says it's a better bike and yada,yada,yada sale priced at $800.

From the prices I can find on-line it looks like you got a good deal. I'd compare the components on your bike to what are spec'd be Jamis to ensure you're getting what you're supposed to. Nice looking bike!
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:53 PM   #844
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,149
Quote:

Who gives a rat's ass. Best question: you gonna RIDE that thing or is it gonna be a garage queen?

If you ride the most overpriced, overhyped thing you can find, its still a better deal than the best deal that sits in the garage unloved. (ask my track bike and mtn bikes about that... )

M
Old 08-25-2006, 05:05 PM   #845
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Who gives a rat's ass. Best question: you gonna RIDE that thing or is it gonna be a garage queen?
indeed. I've been riding my 25 year old 5 speed cruiser more than my $1200 mtn bike, because its easy and fun and requires much less committment. also its a better casual commuter, and I've been doing more rides with my kids than serious mountain pounding recently. or cross town rides.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #846
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
indeed. I've been riding my 25 year old 5 speed cruiser more than my $1200 mtn bike, because its easy and fun and requires much less committment. also its a better casual commuter, and I've been doing more rides with my kids than serious mountain pounding recently. or cross town rides.

My "Schwinngle" mutt bike single speed probably has as many miles on it as any of my other nicer bikes. It's my KLR equivalent--unbustable, simple.

The "daily driver" road bike is a fairly unremarkable Marin Tiburon. It's about as vanilla as they get...but it's the "main bike". I've got a gazillion miles on it. Not particularly fast (no "snap" in terms of acceleration) but all-day comfy and fits me.

No pics handy at the moment (they're all 35mm)

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:24 PM   #847
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

I am gonna ride this beast My 25 year old Miata (garage queen) was my first choice but the frame stripped out (at the derailer thingy)and the shops told me by the time it got whipped into shape I might as well get a new one. WTF it was an excuse
Old 08-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #848
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
I am gonna ride this beast My 25 year old Miata (garage queen) was my first choice but the frame stripped out (at the derailer thingy)and the shops told me by the time it got whipped into shape I might as well get a new one. WTF it was an excuse
New bike, farkles...it's all good.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #849
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog

My "Schwinngle" mutt bike single speed probably has as many miles on it as any of my other nicer bikes. It's my KLR equivalent--unbustable, simple.

The "daily driver" road bike is a fairly unremarkable Marin Tiburon.
nah, see, mine is even more retro

near as I can tell, its a mid 70s cheap jap nospeed cruiser frame that got stripped down and repopulated with old school BMX parts, including a chrome moly tubular fork, some fancy light solid fluted gold anodized alloy handlebars and seatpost, vintage blue anodized KKT pedals, pink anodized Sugino cotterless crank, pink Araya rims etc. I acquired it circa 1981 from a bike shop where it had never been picked up after a service, so the shop owner sold me the bike for like $75. Over the next couple years, I replaced the crappy original front wheel with a wheelsmith, and built a custom rear wheel with a sturmey archer drumbrake hub that took a conventional 5 speed freewheel (when I got it, it was 5-speed with no back brake, and the seat stay angle is wrong for a caliber brake). last year, I got bored with its rusty white crappy paint, and sandblasted and had it powder coated, and rebuilt it.

I gotta get rid of the pink rear rim. it so annoyed me that I tried somewhat unsuccessfully to bleach it with easy-off... I've visited a few bike shops, I'm having problems finding a decent 80s style 26" rim, the new cruiser rims are cheaply made, and modern mountain bike rims are too narrow to look right.

That second picture shows it with "Tom Slicks" 26x1.5" tires, they were too narrow and light, so I went to Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo 26x1.9", which totally rock for (sub)urban and light trail riding.

anyways, this bike is a blast, its a lot lighter than any old school cruiser or even new school cruisers, probably under 30 lbs. its only got 5 gears, but its quite a wide range, including a decent hill climber. its VERY maneuverable, will turn on its own back wheel, and reasonably stable. you can smoothly ride it at slow pedestrian speed. its weak spot was always its brakes, but I finally sorted out the drum rear when I rebuilt it by using a 'v-brake' hand lever (to suit the longer pull required by the drum). its got quite a long wheelbase, so its nearly impossible to wheelie, but its very stable on hills.

Oh. its the only bike I've ever owned that has a bell on the handlebars... its got the kind that makes a single clear 'ding' each time you plink it. Its also the only bicycle I've ever owned that has a kickstand (a post-new-paint addition, btw)
Old 08-25-2006, 05:40 PM   #850
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
many of those 80s jap bikes had nice frames. take a grinder to the deraileur mount thingie, paint over the marks, and use a seperate deraileur hanger piece like were used on cheap 70s bikes (schwinn etc).
Old 08-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #851
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Now that's cool. I think that pink rim gives it character

Wish I had my old Schwinn Corvette which I put a zillion miles on back in the "day"
Old 08-26-2006, 08:00 AM   #852
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

cycle wrenches I need help-

Tell me if this makes sense.

Can I get a 1" threadless fork for my 16 yr old basso ti frame?

If not, and I get a 1" THREADED fork (like I assume it has now), does this mean I need a threaded headset (which I know it has now)?

Basically I want to start putting a list together of what I need for my old Basso.

List #1 =

1. 1" threaded fork
2. threaded headset
3. stem adaptor (the one's that make it possible for old bikes to have modern stems)
4. modern stem
5. new bars

list#2 =

1. 1" threadLESS fork (I think they're rare...)
2. threadLESS headset (1")
3. modern stem
4. new bars

So am I to understand that a threadless fork does not need a stem adaptor, and can go w a threadless headset?

But if I go with a threadED fork, I can only go with a threadED headset, and stem adaptor - to use a modern stem.....?

I REALLY appreciate this help, I'm a fair MOTO mechanic, but I don't know jack about the inner workings of a bicycle (besides changing out cables, etc).
Old 08-26-2006, 08:19 AM   #853
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Here's a shot of a threadless conversion--sorry it's not a better pic, but it's all I've got (camera is in VA with SWMBO). I've done two bikes with threadless adapters.

The adapter went into the threaded headset, then you just put the modern stem system on there...so this is essentially "list 1". Yes--threaded fork + threaded headset + headset adapter (I think mine are made by Delta).

There area couple ways to skin the cat (list 2) but this was pretty cheap and effective, and didn't look bad either.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #854
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Here's a shot of a threadless conversion--sorry it's not a better pic, but it's all I've got (camera is in VA with SWMBO). I've done two bikes with threadless adapters.

The adapter went into the threaded headset, then you just put the modern stem system on there...so this is essentially "list 1". Yes--threaded fork + threaded headset + headset adapter (I think mine are made by Delta).

There area couple ways to skin the cat (list 2) but this was pretty cheap and effective, and didn't look bad either.

Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I hear 1"threadLESS forks are rare, and if I must go with a threadED fork (mine's on it's last leg....16 yr old carbon "rubber") I MUST go with a threadED headset.

The adaptor's for the stems are very cheap so I might go the "list #1" route.

So I rode the Klein the other day and it was refreshing to switch bikes, it's still a sweet bike, and a put 1.5 road tires on it so it's easier.

But that old Manitou fork, no matter how tight I have it set, sucks BAD uphills.

Eventually I'll swap it out for a "lock out" fork, which would be real nice to just turn off while on pavement.

Thanks Photog!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:30 AM   #855
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

My local high-end bike shop had put together a "solution" for me that was megabuck (same deal--finding a threadless 1"). I had to keep telling them that the Bridgestone was a dumpster find. I think it was $18 or so for the adapter...nice and cheap.

I haven't had any problems with either bike I converted. Made a world of difference to have access to all kinds of new bits.

Like I like. Yep.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: