Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 508 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #8746
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Ooof. One more race.

Bicycle season can end now. I'm out of money and getting tired....
I just registered for a race the weekend after next. Early in the season I got lazy and ended up not really doing any racing -- I mechanicaled out of a time trial, then pre-rode the course for another race but ended up not actually going.

Actually competing in races was going to mean devoting most of a weekend to each one (assuming I want to pre-ride the day before), and usually my girlfriend's, too. I haven't quite wanted to do that; The preparation-to-participation time ratio would just be too high.

But she loves camping, and got all excited about the prospect of going to the park the day before so that I can pre-ride (and she can toodle) and then camping the night before the race. Maybe next year we'll try to find a compromise where we do combined camping/riding outings for race weekends.

The weather here has turned decidedly autumnal in the past two weeks, which is nice. Not so much because of the drop in heat and humidity, but because it's meant no more thunderstorms every afternoon. The trails are actually pretty dry for the first time since last year. The change in weather also has me somewhat frantically active -- gotta get outside and bank all the fun and sunshine I can before winter arrives.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #8747
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
Quote:
Ooof. One more race.

I need a couple months off to recuperate and ready myself (financially) for ski season.

A few months of cyclocross should be just the thing to take it easy and not break anymore bicycle shit.
Its a good thing yer laughing...

M
Old 08-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #8748
Se7en
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
My one "race" for the year

Quote:
Ooof. One more race.

I need a couple months off to recuperate and ready myself (financially) for ski season.

A few months of cyclocross should be just the thing to take it easy and not break anymore bicycle shit.
Just got back from SSWC08 in Napa, any of you out there?

Tough course, Curtis Inglis did a great job. Lots-o-climbing and little training on my part put me at mid pack, just as I thought. Finished 198 out of 400+

I saw a KTM in the parking area with a bike rack, never saw the owner, anyone?

here I am looking fast

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/57527...733_5fNir-A-LB

m
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #8749
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en
Just got back from SSWC08 in Napa, any of you out there?
Hey, Matt.

I didn't go, but I've been reading Thom Parsons' blog postings about it. Sounds like a good time. I'm guessing you know the guy since you seem to pop up on the blog from time to time, too.

I rode D2R2 last saturday and had a load of fun; I'm trying to write up a trip report, but I've been kinda lazy. Pics:

http://ericlorenzo.smugmug.com/gallery/5785157_PMBDH
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #8750
Se7en
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
D2r2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
Hey, Matt.

I didn't go, but I've been reading Thom Parsons' blog postings about it. Sounds like a good time. I'm guessing you know the guy since you seem to pop up on the blog from time to time, too.

I rode D2R2 last saturday and had a load of fun; I'm trying to write up a trip report, but I've been kinda lazy. Pics:

http://ericlorenzo.smugmug.com/gallery/5785157_PMBDH
Cool, I have wanted to do the D2R2 for a few years now, maybe next year. I believe that it shares some of the same roads as the Puppy Dog ride that is often talked about on ADV.

The guy running moto support works here at Seven as a machinist/fabricator

Thom P. is a good friend of mine, he's wicked fast as you know from reading his blog.

matt
Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #8751
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer: 10,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
Thanks, guys. I went back today and they were showing me the Roubaix for 2009, which is full carbon fiber.

I have to find a job.

my new job is going to be building and one day designing trails. multi-use and mountain bike trails. im gonna need a bike to test the trails. sad really. i hate shopping.

yes im totally stoked.

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #8752
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
my new job is going to be building and one day designing trails. multi-use and mountain bike trails. im gonna need a bike to test the trails. sad really. i hate shopping.

yes im totally stoked.
Are they going to be here in the Metro area?

You know, someone out there (shop owner, company rep, etc.) might let you 'test' a new bike on your 'test' runs.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #8753
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv
Are they going to be here in the Metro area?

You know, someone out there (shop owner, company rep, etc.) might let you 'test' a new bike on your 'test' runs.

its all over the SE. GA, NC, AL, SC, TN, KY, etc. it should be an interesting gig.

Just take 1/4 of the regular population here and set them aside. The remaining 3/4ths have a vendetta against you. Kace Coyote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #8754
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,813
Quote:

yes im totally stoked.
That's freaking awesome, Charlie. You're going to be in terrific shape pretty quickly, I bet. I don't envy you working outdoors in the southern sun, but man, you're going to see some awfully beautiful country and ride some pretty nice trails.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #8755
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,050
Quote:
its all over the SE. GA, NC, AL, SC, TN, KY, etc. it should be an interesting gig.
Yes, I should say so! Keep me posted.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #8756
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
A buddy of mine raced at SSWC. He was on a soulcraft 29er with a lefty fork....blue/red soulcraft kit and a matching el nino mask.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #8757
Charlie Brown
Sweeter than YooHoo

Quote:
That's freaking awesome, Charlie. You're going to be in terrific shape pretty quickly, I bet. I don't envy you working outdoors in the southern sun, but man, you're going to see some awfully beautiful country and ride some pretty nice trails.

I'm really really excited about it. at some point ill go through a certification course of some kind. im going to be a sweaty, stinky, tired bastard pretty soon. but ill be outside and enjoying nature. time for new batteries in the cameras.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #8758
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,813
Quote:
I'm really really excited about it. at some point ill go through a certification course of some kind. im going to be a sweaty, stinky, tired bastard pretty soon. but ill be outside and enjoying nature. time for new batteries in the cameras.
Fuck yeah.

20+ on the mtn. bike today.

Legs are whooped from hoofing that thing up and down the hills. Mostly road work, but it was abotut 95F when I got home. Oy.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #8759
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer: 41,051
Quote:
Fuck yeah.

20+ on the mtn. bike today.

Legs are whooped from hoofing that thing up and down the hills. Mostly road work, but it was abotut 95F when I got home. Oy.
I've been a pedalin' fuck all week this week. 22 miles a day, all uphill on the way home.

And I did leg work at the gym yesterday.

I'm taking tomorrow off.

AKA "Ham Steak" - Bumfucked Hillbillies MC
VespaFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #8760
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,821
I STILL haven't ridden my new Fetish. Was gonna today, but managed to sleep till 1430 instead. Went to the bike shop for a bit, worked on a few bikes, now I'm watchin TV. Guess iffen I had a lite that worked, I could go for a spin, but I needta rewire em first.

Picked up a 6600 series cassette tonite, now I have a cassette for my 'aero' wheels too! (not that I go that fast, but they make me LOOK that fast! )

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: