Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 159 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #8806
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by VespaFitz
When I do finally buy some bicycle appropriate clothing, I'll probably go that route.

What the hell do you wear in the winter?

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw your location.
I've got some non stupid looking mtb shorts from Cannondale. They look pretty much like cargo shorts, but are made out of nylon. The bicycle liner snaps into them, so you can wear them with regular drawers if you'd rather. Personally, I like the padding in the crotch when I'm on the bike.

REI sells them, along with some jerseys that don't make you look like a NASCAR fan. I just can't get my brain around wearing all those logos and shit.

Around here, the winter cyclists wear some kind of polypropolene sleeve arrangement with long spandex lowers. Most wear some kind of windbreaker arrangement. It'd probably work through fall where you are.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #8807
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
I've got some non stupid looking mtb shorts from Cannondale. They look pretty much like cargo shorts, but are made out of nylon. The bicycle liner snaps into them, so you can wear them with regular drawers if you'd rather. Personally, I like the padding in the crotch when I'm on the bike.
I usually wear lycra when riding, except when I'm commuting or running a local errand.

But if I was looking for something non-skintight to wear when biking, I'd still look for a relatively snug fit, and something that extended down to the knee; Other than chafing, the thing that annoys me the most when biking in regular shorts is the way they flap around and get caught on the saddle when I'm trying to stand up.

For shirts, I use a non-rolling-billboard jersey for road rides. Off-road, where I'm usually carrying a hydration pack that can double as a manpurse, I like an ultralight merino wool shirt.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #8808
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,266
Quote:
When I do finally buy some bicycle appropriate clothing, I'll probably go that route.

We usually just adjust the SPF in our sunscreen for the winter months.
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 PM   #8809
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
I wear baggy MTB shorts when I'm playing Euro Snob bicycle tourist.

Unless I'm out to represent for La Marmotte or a local tri or something.

If you think cycling is expensive, try heart disease.

Every time I see an unfortunate mid-30s [insert obesity capital here] resident with bypass scars cracking his sternum, I think that my choices are worth the costs. Hell, you could pick up a pair of Colnago C-50 Ferrari Edition mountain bikes and a MeiVici or two for the price of a bypass.

All that haughtiness aside, I just had a buttered bagel and bacon. I guess I'm a fat bastard, too.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #8810
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer: 41,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Saturday: 27 mile bike race

Sunday: 100 mile road ride

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: My regular 45 mile round trip commute.
Jesus Christ.

Quote:
I was hurtin' a bit yesterday. And by hurtin', I mean really, really, really hungry.
Yeah, that's the way I feel after three straight days. I'm usually hungry anyway, but man, I could eat a kangaroo.

AKA "Ham Steak" - Bumfucked Hillbillies MC
VespaFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #8811
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
Apparently it was to be.

Called first thing monday morning and checked that they still had it, and put down a deposit over the phone. Picked it up that afternoon.

Only one ride on it so far, wednesday after work. No big surprises -- compared to its predecessor it's slower going up and a lot faster coming down.

I was kinda disappointed with my first ride on the old bike, but once I did some tweaking, came to love it. No disappointment on this first ride, but there's some room for improvement. I'll probably replace the front tire, and the suspension setup needs a little work. Oh, and I'm guessing that the dragging rear brake had something to do with it feeling less "spritely" than the older bike.
Absolutely OBSCENE!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #8812
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,866
Quote:

LAYERS, LAYERS, LAYERS....

WINDPROOF PANELED FRONT UNDERWEAR IS YOUR BEST FRIEND....
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #8813
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek
I wear baggy MTB shorts when I'm playing Euro Snob bicycle tourist.

Unless I'm out to represent for La Marmotte or a local tri or something.

If you think cycling is expensive, try heart disease.

Every time I see an unfortunate mid-30s [insert obesity capital here] resident with bypass scars cracking his sternum, I think that my choices are worth the costs. Hell, you could pick up a pair of Colnago C-50 Ferrari Edition mountain bikes and a MeiVici or two for the price of a bypass.

All that haughtiness aside, I just had a buttered bagel and bacon. I guess I'm a fat bastard, too.

Bingo! There it is.

I just bought ANOTHER bike - Independent Fabrications Club Racer - and have been hiding the receipt from my wife...

There's my excuse!

I'm doin' it ALL for you, honey!

You think i WANT to ride a custom made bike?!?!??
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #8814
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:

Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #8815
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,055
So I picked up this slightly used Redline Conquest the other day. It seems to be a good riding bike and while I have no intentions of using it for Cyclocross events, I do appreciate its versatile nature. That said, I need a good, all around seat for it. The Specialized unit on it just isn't cutting it.

Any suggestions? Too many choices with 'cross bikes: road, mountain, tour, etc. I've actually been eyeing some Brooks seats on eBay but I know nothing about them other than the fact that they look cool as hell. I think I should probably stick with something that, just like the bike, is versatile.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #8816
CruzCtrl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv
So I picked up this slightly used Redline Conquest the other day. It seems to be a good riding bike and while I have no intentions of using it for Cyclocross events, I do appreciate its versatile nature. That said, I need a good, all around seat for it. The Specialized unit on it just isn't cutting it.

Any suggestions? Too many choices with 'cross bikes: road, mountain, tour, etc. I've actually been eyeing some Brooks seats on eBay but I know nothing about them other than the fact that they look cool as hell. I think I should probably stick with something that, just like the bike, is versatile.
Brooks saddle's are great and the B17 requires very liitle break in these days. I swear by leather saddles for most applications. My other standby is Sella San Marcos Regal or Royal. I have friends that love the WTB saddles, and they have a demo program to try them.

Relax Hippie it's Bio-Diesel
CruzCtrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #8817
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
I use one type of saddle on all of my bikes these days: Terry Fly.

Titanium rails, leather skin, perfect for my anatomy, ~$65 after points and sales at Performance.

Congrats on the IF! I wouldn't mind playing with one. Loads of people on the Serotta board and RBR love theirs.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #8818
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
The WTB laser? with Ti rails has been extremely good to me for offroad
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:48 PM   #8819
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,055
Excellent info and very much appreciated. I have been checking out the Terry's at a LBS and they look interesting. Both the Terry Fly and the San Marcos Regal can be found relatively cheap on eBay so I might give one of them a try. I have a WTB saddle on my Raleigh Mojave 8.0 and it's not bad; especially when compared the saddle that came on the 'cross bike.

*Edit: I just placed bids on one of each so we'll see what happens over the next several days.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.

kv screwed with this post 08-22-2008 at 07:15 PM
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #8820
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I wouldn't put a b17 on a cross bike unless you plan to run your bars well above the saddle. I'd recommend a swallow or similar for a road or cross bike. I have a b17 on my touring bike and it's great...but it's heavy and awkward for anything but cruising.

I also think that saddles are SO personal that there's really no way to offer advice online. I have a wtb silverado Ti and love it (on the mtb) and just ordered a selle italia kit carbino flow for the road bike. It weighs 120g and if I don't like it on the road bike, it will go on the mtb (race bike) to shave some weight.

There is an online store that offers a saddle "tryout" program. You pay $35 (non-refundable) and get to try several saddles (maybe 7?). When/if you find one you like, the $35 deposit goes toward the purchase. I'll look around and see if I can find the details.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: