Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 499 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #8806
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Looking for buying advice.
A friend of mine is thinking of buying a mountain bike. She is tiny (just 5'0") and pretty thin but solid. She has almost no mountain bike experience but she is super aggressive with everything she does and i expect her to be an animal on a bike quickly. She is a hardcore rock climber and bouldering fiend.
I know I always needed better gear since I was around 200 lbs. and always broke stuff. She is about 100 pounds so I think she'd less likely break parts than I would.
Anyone have an idea of a good entry level (i.e. cheap) rigid or cross country dual suspension ride? If there are any closeouts even better for her.
I figure she is going to be a 12 or 13" but not one shop that I have seen in NYC has any tiny actual mountain bikes on display to size her with.

http://nycbikes.com

They have a 13 incher on their webpage and they'll build anything up or down to the customer's specs.

Saw them in a mag a few years ago and just thought I'd pass it along.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #8807
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv

They have a 13 incher on their webpage and they'll build anything up or down to the customer's specs.

Saw them in a mag a few years ago and just thought I'd pass it along.
Thanks, but she'll pass on them. There bikes are not any kind of deal and their frames are only so-so. Oh and as an added bonus I know Will the owner and I am not his biggest fan.
But seriously I appreciate the recommendation, just not a fan.
RichBeBe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #8808
kv
[none]

Quote:
Thanks, but she'll pass on them. There bikes are not any kind of deal and their frames are only so-so. Oh and as an added bonus I know Will the owner and I am not his biggest fan.
But seriously I appreciate the recommendation, just not a fan.
I eMailed him quite sometime ago and he didn't come across as Mr. Personality so I can see where you're coming from.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #8809
CalCoastRider
Speed Triple rider

Oddometer: 106
Tandem mountain bike

Here the wife and I's latest mountain bike. I've enjoyed introducing her to mtn. biking. But the going has been slow while she build's confidence and I don't get the rush or exercise I want. We've wanted a good tandem for a long time now. Finally got it (Ventana Conquistador FS) a couple weeks ago and many months wait. It's a beast and adds a whole new dimension to the trail. It's a blast. (sorry no photos off the vehicle yet). The wife's 5'1 and I'm 5'7. The frame is 17" for the captain and 14" for the stoker (her). It's the smallest size mtn tandem we've ever found in our research. If you're in decent shape, the bike flies over everything (except switchbacks, which are their own challenge). We've had a nice fall, in tandem, with the clipless pedals. I also ride a 29" gary fisher hardtail and have a FS downhill rig.

CalCoastRider screwed with this post 09-10-2008 at 10:58 PM
CalCoastRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #8810
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv

that looks more like a BMX bike with gears than a proper XC bike ??

proper XC full suspension bikes are NOT cheap. anything full suspension much under $1200-1800 is likely pretty close to junk. just a basic set of Fox Float forks is close to half that....

Specialized has a line of woman's frame sizes, which might be a good fit, I think are designed with a longer torso and shorter legs in mind (or maybe its the other way around?). I'd look at a base model in the Stumpjumper hardtail line to start with.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:30 AM   #8811
Oznerol
Motion Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Anyone have an idea of a good entry level (i.e. cheap) rigid or cross country dual suspension ride? If there are any closeouts even better for her.
How cheap is cheap, and is she serious about dual suspension for a starter bike? Cheap, good, and full suspension don't usually go together.

My girlfriend is about your friends' height, and I've done some looking around for a dual suspension bike for her. Trek's WSD versions of their Fuel EX bikes looked like they'd be the place to start -- their smallest size had a considerably shorter top tube than the smallest non-kiddie bikes I found from any other major builders. But the cheapest one they make is the EX 5.5, at around $1500.

Also, it looks like the geometry has changed for 2008 -- the 2009 XS model is now called a 14.5 instead of a 14, and the toptube is longer, much more in line with what the other companies are offering.

It also looks like there are more geometry options at the small end of the scale if she goes with a hardtail.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #8812
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol
How cheap is cheap, and is she serious about dual suspension for a starter bike? Cheap, good, and full suspension don't usually go together.

My girlfriend is about your friends' height, and I've done some looking around for a dual suspension bike for her. Trek's WSD versions of their Fuel EX bikes looked like they'd be the place to start -- their smallest size had a considerably shorter top tube than the smallest non-kiddie bikes I found from any other major builders. But the cheapest one they make is the EX 5.5, at around $1500.

Also, it looks like the geometry has changed for 2008 -- the 2009 XS model is now called a 14.5 instead of a 14, and the toptube is longer, much more in line with what the other companies are offering.

It also looks like there are more geometry options at the small end of the scale if she goes with a hardtail.
Thanks for the advice. I think she would not want to spend $1500 for a first bike. I just threw the dual suspension out there in case someone knew of some unbelievalbe deal but she will most likely end up on a hard tail.
I need to see her on some bikes. For her height I think she has a slightly taller torso than the "norm" but not sure.
For now she'll ride my ex-wife's Specialized Crossroads on the bike paths and roads. But we'll find her one soon.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #8813
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Don't worry about full sus if she's not going to spend $1500 or more. All of the big brands make decent hardtails in her size. I'd recommend a decent air fork like a reba if possible. It can always be swapped over to a new frame later. Pick one in her price range and have at it. Upgrade later if she sticks with it.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #8814
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv
Quick Cyclocross bike question: Felt F1X or Redline Conquest Pro?

While I do not intend to actually compete in a Cyclocross event this season, I hope to make it to a few clinics and maybe even some practices.

Felt

Rocketship

M
Old 09-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #8815
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,814
Check out the Specialized wimmen's line. FWI see in the shop, its good stuff.

HTH

M
Old 09-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #8816
NJ650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
I'd suggest the Raleigh Mojave 8.0.

I did lots of comparisons between that and comparable Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Trek, GT....bikes. I think the Raleigh beats them all for "bang for the buck". Front suspension, dual disc.....

I bought 2 bikes. A 14" for my son (just under 5') and a 16" for my daughter (about 5'2").

Here is the link to the 2009 model.

She should be able to beat that thing for a while until she really decides how serious she is into mountain biking, then save her pennies and move up to a good quality fully suspended bike.
Planning 2014 Gaspé and 2014 COBDR
Fuck cancer!
NJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #8817
kv
[none]

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ650
Funny you should suggest the Mojave; I just sold mine yesterday. Mine was a couple of years old but nicely spec'd and very reasonable. Had I kept it, I would have either swapped the fork out or gotten a stiffer spring. Other than that, no problems.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #8818
kv
[none]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Felt

Rocketship

M
I appreciate the advice but the Redline fit me a bit better than the Felt did and, they're throwing in a set of new Time Atacs which is what I currently have installed on my other bikes.

kv screwed with this post 09-30-2008 at 08:54 AM
Old 09-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #8819
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ650

I did lots of comparisons between that and comparable Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Trek, GT....bikes. I think the Raleigh beats them all for "bang for the buck". Front suspension, dual disc.....

I bought 2 bikes. A 14" for my son (just under 5') and a 16" for my daughter (about 5'2").

Here is the link to the 2009 model.

She should be able to beat that thing for a while until she really decides how serious she is into mountain biking, then save her pennies and move up to a good quality fully suspended bike.
Thanks for the heads up looks like a decent deal for the money. We'll check it out.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #8820
CalCoastRider
Speed Triple rider

Oddometer: 106
Seriously consider ebay. I've seen alot of small frame bikes on there. We picked up my wife's fs Gary Fisher from there. It was a couple years old but basically unridden by a guy's wife who didn't like mtn biking after all and subsequently stored away. It's a 13" frame for my 5'1 wife--a $1500 bike for $800. While I'm a fan of "see it, feel it, stand over it, take it for a quick spin first" we couldn't (and didn't) go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oznerol

CalCoastRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: