Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 519 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #9046
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
My personal opinion sez 'get a trainer' and use yer own bike. Mo bettah ergodynamically, AND you get used to YOUR setup. 'Course, I also recommend both a trainer AND rollers. Trainer makes you strong but develops bad pedal strokes. Rollers make you smooth and aerobic, but not so much in the strength department.

For that $1300 and/or $800 you could have a few of each AND most of another bike!

Not to harsh on someone's buzz, because if it works for you .

M
I like my rollers just fine....and certainly don't have the budget for one of those trainers anyway. The local Y has just installed some fancy-schmancy trainers I have yet to try out yet.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #9047
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
I like my rollers just fine....and certainly don't have the budget for one of those trainers anyway. The local Y has just installed some fancy-schmancy trainers I have yet to try out yet.
Craigslist is yer friend. Wait till end of winter and pick up a set cheep.

'S what I did. Several times! Last one was a Cateye Psychostimulator (aka Cyclosimulator). Good trainer. Loud tho.

M
Old 10-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #9048
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,482
You people and your human hamster wheels.

I have an agreement with several ex-drinking buddies that if I ever start riding a bike that doesn't go anywhere, or worse- roller skiing, that they should just put me out of my misery right then and there.

So I'm riding outside in sub-freezing temps right now. And enjoying it DAMMIT.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #9049
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
You people and your human hamster wheels.

I have an agreement with several ex-drinking buddies that if I ever start riding a bike that doesn't go anywhere, or worse- roller skiing, that they should just put me out of my misery right then and there.

So I'm riding outside in sub-freezing temps right now. And enjoying it DAMMIT.
You wanna rock and roll in the early spring races? Trainer's THE way to go. I've left winters faster'n I went afore. Actually LOST fitness thru the spring when I could ride outside.

HOWEVER it ain't the funnest thing on the planet, so iffen ya wanna ride outside in the warm for a bit this winter, PM me.

M
Old 10-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #9050
Lujo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by /
I just finished a quick 13 mile ride with the tires inflated to 120 psi.

Talk about a harsh and jarring ride. Of course the roads around here resemble lunar surfaces.

Going back to 100 psi.

/
I like to air down my tires to 20 psi for commuting on snow and ice. Very comfy. Of course, that does work better with 28 x 2.35 Schwalbe Big Apples than most other tires. If I want to go fast it's 50 psi.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:36 AM   #9051
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
You wanna rock and roll in the early spring races? Trainer's THE way to go. I've left winters faster'n I went afore. Actually LOST fitness thru the spring when I could ride outside.

HOWEVER it ain't the funnest thing on the planet, so iffen ya wanna ride outside in the warm for a bit this winter, PM me.

M

I know... I know... The guys on our team who do the trainer thing stomp all over the rest of us all year.

I like to keep my winter sports in the winter and summer sports in the summer- keeps me from getting burned out on either. It's just these damn in between months that I start getting ideas about those things.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #9052
Askel
Perma-n00b

That's it! Last bicycle race of the year was today.

I won't turn a pedal in anger again until May 2009.

We got sick of all this nice weather crap we've had for our CX series and made our own mud today. After hauling buckets of water around before the race, I made the most of it. Pictures soon, I hope.

Oh yeah, we held the race at a BMX track. I'm once again inspired to turn my yard into a BMX track.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #9053
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Thought I'd share a pic of my Zanconato. He's a buddy/teammate of mine and built this for me a couple of years ago. I just upgraded with Ultegra SL and a set of Hed Ardennes wheels. Can't say I love the wheels but it's a sweet riding bike.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #9054
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

While I'm at it, here's a shot of Mike Zanconato from Gloucester last year. He's the one on the right.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #9055
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmike
Thought I'd share a pic of my Zanconato. He's a buddy/teammate of mine and built this for me a couple of years ago. I just upgraded with Ultegra SL and a set of Hed Ardennes wheels. Can't say I love the wheels but it's a sweet riding bike.
do I know you?

Zanc's one of my oldest and closest friends. He sure builds a crappy bike, eh? (I have two, hoping for a third when I'm back in the US next year).

my 'cross:

I'll be damned if I can find a photo of my road bike, it's 10 times as pretty!

I won't embarass Mike with any photos, boy do I have some good ones from years ago!
Old 11-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #9056
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,619
New Englanders ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt

my 'cross:

Well my gosh, that's a beautiful cross bike! Both of your bikes by Zanc remind me of Peter Mooney's work over the years, clean and professional. Does that name ring a bell?

Yes, I'm outing myself. Raced on the Dreambikes team, and IF's women's team for a while, Dansko too.

Enjoy,

Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #9057
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt
Well my gosh, that's a beautiful cross bike! Both of your bikes by Zanc remind me of Peter Mooney's work over the years, clean and professional. Does that name ring a bell?

Yes, I'm outing myself. Raced on the Dreambikes team, and IF's women's team for a while, Dansko too.

Enjoy,

Liz
I'm sure we've crossed paths. I know Elizabeth the Clog Lady and Fran Castano. I've met Peter a couple of times, too. He's a nice guy and does beautiful work.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #9058
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt
certainly does

Quote:
yeah, definitely crossed paths.

Cool to see other New Englander cyclists on AdvRider!
Old 11-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #9059
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 3,001
following on from my post a few pages back about entering the Crocodile Trophy, I said that I would post and let you know how it was.

Well, it was fantastic! I had a ball!

It was much faster than I ever expected and I didnt have the strength or power to keep up with most of the field and so ended up finishing last overall, but I dont care!

it was 10 days and some long days, 3 days around 150 km, tow of them back to back, all off road.

I definatly trained for the distance and in similar weather and on similar roads so it was much easier than I expected.

if anybody is thinking of doing some long mutli day races like this, its all about the preparation and training, it makes it much easier!

cheers

Hay Ewe
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #9060
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,619
It's a small world ... after all ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmike
I'm sure we've crossed paths. I know Elizabeth the Clog Lady and Fran Castano. I've met Peter a couple of times, too. He's a nice guy and does beautiful work.

NotMike, DoctorIt, et al, Hi!

That's one great thing about the skinny tire world and the moto-tire world, both can be rather small. Speaking of small world, DoctorIt, for a while I lived and raced in Sydney, Australia, not quite next door to Brisbane, but still.

Fran is an amazingly, interesting person. Did I hear he's married and has kids?

I met Peter back in the early 80's when Wheelworks was just he and John in the Belmont shop. They were tuning bikes, putting training wheels on for the consumers child, and building beautiful hand made bikes. Peter's shop was the large closet in the back of the store. Oh I feel so old!

Speaking of small world, does anyone know Tiffany Mann? I think she's doing single speed mountain bike racing for IF now.

This was taken in Harvard, Mass at the finish when I was racing for Dreambikes on a Scandium Ciooc, loved that bike!

Liz

MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: