ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 514 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #9091
mikeyb
Just some guy
 
mikeyb's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
the original rigid stumpjumpers were -tanks-. indestructible.

downsides, not easy to find replacement parts for the old school part sizes on them... the first gen stumpjumpers were 3x5 speeds and if your rear sprocket needs service, you can't get parts for it, or even a replacement 5 speed, you have to get a 7 speed, which means you have to redish the rear wheel which.... and the front headsets on new bikes are all way different, the old school headsets won't take newer handlebars etc.


1983 Stumpjumper Sport
That looks like my 1st mtn bike. Same color and everything (except the fenders). It survived many a trip up Mt. Wilson when I was in college.
mikeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #9092
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded
 
Dranrab Luap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Oddometer: 32,074
My impulsivity came calling.

Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #9093
Troutldy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Troutldy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Oddometer: 1,731
[QUOTE=Dranrab Luap]My impulsivity came calling.

[/

QUOTE]

Whoa, NICE!!
__________________
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Troutldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #9094
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded
 
Dranrab Luap's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Oddometer: 32,074
[quote=Troutldy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
My impulsivity came calling.

[/

QUOTE]

Whoa, NICE!!
I got a pretty sweet deal on it. The MSRP is 3K. I got it for 2K even. I have been pleasantly surpised by the combination of responsiveness and compliance from the CF frame. How ya' been girl?
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #9095
Troutldy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Troutldy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Oddometer: 1,731
[QUOTE=Dranrab Luap]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutldy

I got a pretty sweet deal on it. The MSRP is 3K. I got it for 2K even. I have been pleasantly surpised by the combination of responsiveness and compliance from the CF frame. How ya' been girl?
Sweet deal!!

Been fine, can't complain, just trying to figure out combinations of "winter wear" that work best to keep me from freezing my butt off when riding here!!
Without adding 10 pounds of clothes weight and looking like Nanook!
__________________
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Troutldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #9096
Plan B
"Never Cry Shitwolf"
 
Plan B's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Home of the Canucks
Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister
I'm thinking of picking up an old rigid mountain bike for general riding with the family and grocery runs. I figure put suspension on the front and it becomes somewhat dirt capable. I've been looking at old stumpjumpers and bridgestones from the 80's/90's on craigslist.

can anyone comment on these who had one back in the day about what to avoid? do you think these will eventually be collectible, as I've seen mentioned on the interwebs?

I had a boat load of B-Stones.....

What I did to meet a similar need is build up a flat bar (riser actually) single speed cross bike. I use it for everything. It weighs close to nothing, (raided the home parts bin) shreds on single track and is a decent urban assault vehicle. It's my new favorite bike.

I used a Kona frame but anything cheap will do.

I should take some pics....
__________________
Viva la Evolution
Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:19 AM   #9097
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb
That looks like my 1st mtn bike. Same color and everything (except the fenders). It survived many a trip up Mt. Wilson when I was in college.
the fenders weren't stock. when I bought the bike in 83, they were in Specialized catalog, and as a all-weather commuter, who'd put english plastic fenders on his 10-speeds, I immediately ordered a set. I kept bugging the bike dealer, I think it took 3 years for them to show up and they were the only pair they or I ever saw... they are awesome, flyweight, aircraft aluminum alloy, very rugged. all the hardware is high grade stainless. I put them on that bike, and never took them off (the plastic english 10-speed fenders used to come off every summer). I have to admit, I finally took them off last year and put them on my wife's old bike (an almost identical 84 stumpjumper sport in a ridiculous short size), as my teenage son is riding my old stumpjumper right now and I didnt' want him trashing the fenders.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #9098
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,764
Sad

http://benepesbikeblog.blogspot.com/

A friend and I rode by this accident a couple weeks ago, looked horible. Bike looked like it went through a shredder, his clothes were 30 yards away, all cut away and blood soaked, his wheels were etched into the asphalt, in a million pieces.

Didn't know the guy died until somone sent me this link.

RIP

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.
__________________
Black Shadow of Vincent, falls on a Triumph line

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #9099
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
http://benepesbikeblog.blogspot.com/

A friend and I rode by this accident a couple weeks ago, looked horible. Bike looked like it went through a shredder, his clothes were 30 yards away, all cut away and blood soaked, his wheels were etched into the asphalt, in a million pieces.

Didn't know the guy died until somone sent me this link.

RIP

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.
That is very sad to hear. It can't have been easy to see that Perry.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #9100
ricohman
Marinoni man
 
ricohman's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Oddometer: 1,981
My latest ride.
2008 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30. I rode over 3000km on it this year.



My 1987 Marinoni Special with Campy Chorus.


My 77' Twenty.


My 81' Raleigh Criterium on a vintage century.


To many more to list...........
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #9101
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
That is very sad to hear. It can't have been easy to see that Perry.

Well we knew something was up because traffic sudenly came to a big halt, and cops and ambulances were zipping up the shoulder. When we rode up the shoulder there werer a dozen or so bikers all being held up by detectives, marking out the scene with chalk and tape measures, red markers, etc.

When they let us pass there was the carnage, guy was gone into the ambulance. Big mess, looked like someone shot a biker with a bazooka.

guess you never know what's really behind you.
__________________
Black Shadow of Vincent, falls on a Triumph line

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #9102
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Well we knew something was up because traffic sudenly came to a big halt, and cops and ambulances were zipping up the shoulder. When we rode up the shoulder there werer a dozen or so bikers all being held up by detectives, marking out the scene with chalk and tape measures, red markers, etc.

When they let us pass there was the carnage, guy was gone into the ambulance. Big mess, looked like someone shot a biker with a bazooka.

guess you never know what's really behind you.
It's ironic that while I am leary of going out on the motorbike without ATGATT, I don't think twice about going out on the bicycle wearing next to nothing.

Happy Thanksgiving Perry, I truly hope things are looking up for you.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #9103
a1fa
Throttle Jockey™
 
a1fa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 13,901
Just what I was looking for. My seat keeps moving as I peddal. The little latch that lets you adjust seat hight is not binding right, and I can never get it tight enough for the damn seat to stop moving. I broke two all ready. What can I do?
__________________
Learn to ride. Ride to learn.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #9104
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
It's ironic that while I am leary of going out on the motorbike without ATGATT, I don't think twice about going out on the bicycle wearing next to nothing.

Happy Thanksgiving Perry, I truly hope things are looking up for you.


Same here, weird isn't it.

Thanks, same to you Merc, things are getting there, if we can all weather this economy than life will take care of the rest.

Cheers
__________________
Black Shadow of Vincent, falls on a Triumph line

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #9105
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
Just what I was looking for. My seat keeps moving as I peddal. The little latch that lets you adjust seat hight is not binding right, and I can never get it tight enough for the damn seat to stop moving. I broke two all ready. What can I do?
You talking quick relases on the bike or the clamp at the top of the seatpost?

If its the clamp on the bike, go to a good LBS and have em measure the diameter of the seat tube. It may be outta spec and you may need a larger dia seatpost. Failing that, a coke can shim works wonders.

Oh, and get a real bolt in there.

If its the top of the seatpost/saddle rails junction its about the same for diagnosis, just different parts you may need.

HTH

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015