ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 506 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #9406
Hair
Outside the boxer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 14,225
Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Your frame and fork need to be disc compatible to go the route yer lookin to go. The Access frame/fork combo at PBS is pretty good for the $$ if you HAVE to have discs. There's a Voodoo on CL Tucson if yer short.

Personally? Kool Stop Salmons are some of the best pads out there. You can get em as replacement pads, on their own, or as part of a new set of replacment pads.

AFA cable brakes on this setup: go with the Avid road stuff. Work well. Cable brakes aren't *quite* as nice, but they're MUCH easier to live with on a daily basis. After all, you can re-do the cables yerself with tools you already have. Hydraulics? Need special stuff.

HTH

M
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #9407
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I think I will stick with my multispeed bikes. I like to have my knees not bother me and I like ride at whatever cadence I want. Maybe some other year, but right now, I think I like having choices. That, and I am sure I would crash badly on a fixed.
I've ridden fixed lots and my knees don't bother me.

Its all in the setup ie: bike fit

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:02 AM   #9408
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee
 
flip18436572's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Red Oak, IA
Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
I've ridden fixed lots and my knees don't bother me.

Its all in the setup ie: bike fit

M
If I have to mash, I feel it in my knees. Multiple sports injuries 25+ years ago are really coming back to haunt me.
__________________
Do you like bicycles, running, triathlons, marathons, etc........ Go to http://www.friedquads.com and thank BALDY!!!!!
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #9409
DoctorIt
vrooom!
 
DoctorIt's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Springfield, MA
Oddometer: 5,679
another gem found on BikeSnobNYC

all this talk about fixies... you better make sure you have enough street cred to go out on one. Luckily enough, you can get it on ebay these days:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:EF:US:1123

(read the questions/answers, hilarious!)
__________________
Erik
Professor for hire.
DoctorIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #9410
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb
 
bouldergeek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Palmer Station, Antarctica
Oddometer: 1,074
I've just had the most extreme and intense times on two wheels that I can remember.

I recently returned to Boulder, and some racers built up an indoor 142-meter velodrome, which openend two weekends ago.

I've been doing one-hour race clinics on the track, riding pacelines and sprinting on a 45-degree 'drome. It's friggin' hairball! I'm scared to my core trying to hold a line at full tilt in the corners. And loving every second of it.

Going back tonight for my second hit this week. Nothing has had this kind of impact on me. Since it is 55F out and sunny right now, I'm going to take my Serotta out to loosen up a bit before the track. It's like legal crack, I swear.
__________________
Partir loin et découvrir quel air l'humanité respire... voyager... aller toujours plus loin... - Les Nubiennes, "Voyager"
-----------------------------------------------------------

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #9411
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!
 
Silver King's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Saint Rosie, California
Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
all this talk about fixies... you better make sure you have enough street cred to go out on one. Luckily enough, you can get it on ebay these days:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:EF:US:1123

(read the questions/answers, hilarious!)
That is awesome!!! I could definitely use some street cred.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #9412
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti
 
AKDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek
I've just had the most extreme and intense times on two wheels that I can remember.

I recently returned to Boulder, and some racers built up an indoor 142-meter velodrome, which openend two weekends ago.

I've been doing one-hour race clinics on the track, riding pacelines and sprinting on a 45-degree 'drome. It's friggin' hairball! I'm scared to my core trying to hold a line at full tilt in the corners. And loving every second of it.

Going back tonight for my second hit this week. Nothing has had this kind of impact on me. Since it is 55F out and sunny right now, I'm going to take my Serotta out to loosen up a bit before the track. It's like legal crack, I swear.
Too cool! Sounds like a LOT of fun!!

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #9413
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org
 
gambrinus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek
I've just had the most extreme and intense times on two wheels that I can remember.

I recently returned to Boulder, and some racers built up an indoor 142-meter velodrome, which openend two weekends ago.

I've been doing one-hour race clinics on the track, riding pacelines and sprinting on a 45-degree 'drome. It's friggin' hairball! I'm scared to my core trying to hold a line at full tilt in the corners. And loving every second of it.

Going back tonight for my second hit this week. Nothing has had this kind of impact on me. Since it is 55F out and sunny right now, I'm going to take my Serotta out to loosen up a bit before the track. It's like legal crack, I swear.
That makes at least THREE AdvRiders that are hitting the Boulder Velodrome... you, me and "PlayzInMud"

RW
__________________
..constructive criticism irritates me. I do not object to being denounced, but I can't abide being school-mastered, especially by men I regard as imbeciles.
-Mencken
gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #9414
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer
 
ADVCoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Acme, PA
Oddometer: 792
This is my '01 Kona Hahanna. The only difference now is it has street tires on it. I also have some rigid forks but I haven't installed them yet. I don't have any trails close so I ride mostly street with it. My back is too bad to ride a full road bike so the more upright of this bike works well.

__________________
2006 Husqvarna TE610 - 1982 Suzuki PE175 - 2009 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
ADVCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #9415
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee
 
flip18436572's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Red Oak, IA
Oddometer: 3,047
Am I the only tall guy in the bicycle thread?????

These bike pictures look to have "tiny" frames.

Seriously though, it looks like you have a nice Kona and have fun with it.
__________________
Do you like bicycles, running, triathlons, marathons, etc........ Go to http://www.friedquads.com and thank BALDY!!!!!
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:13 AM   #9416
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer
 
ADVCoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Acme, PA
Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Am I the only tall guy in the bicycle thread?????

These bike pictures look to have "tiny" frames.

Seriously though, it looks like you have a nice Kona and have fun with it.
I'm not tall, but I am 5'11". That is a 17" frame. I bought it used and that's why the seat is so high, lol.
__________________
2006 Husqvarna TE610 - 1982 Suzuki PE175 - 2009 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
ADVCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #9417
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee
 
flip18436572's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Red Oak, IA
Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop
I'm not tall, but I am 5'11". That is a 17" frame. I bought it used and that's why the seat is so high, lol.
I am only 6'3", so not too tall, but that picture makes the bike frame look small. Maybe it is the angle of the picture or the trailer behind it, or probably just me.

I need to take some pictures, and post them up at some point. I like seeing everyone's bikes. Maybe we should start a bicycle "picture only" thread here.
__________________
Do you like bicycles, running, triathlons, marathons, etc........ Go to http://www.friedquads.com and thank BALDY!!!!!
flip18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #9418
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,764
5'9" here and shrinking...

-damn anyone else being held up by weather, haven't ridden since around Christmas! weather here has been all ice for weeks now.

I gotta set up my rollers (or sell em )
__________________
Black Shadow of Vincent, falls on a Triumph line

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #9419
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!
 
RichBeBe's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 6,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
5'9" here and shrinking...

-damn anyone else being held up by weather, haven't ridden since around Christmas! weather here has been all ice for weeks now.

I gotta set up my rollers (or sell em )
Grow a pair
I rode my mountain bike last Saturday in the snow. Then rode my CX bike on Mon and Thurs. Also rode to work yesterday it was a cold mile. Plan on riding tomorrow if I am not too hungover tomorrow.
See you tonight?
RichBeBe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #9420
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Grow a pair
I rode my mountain bike last Saturday in the snow. Then rode my CX bike on Mon and Thurs. Also rode to work yesterday it was a cold mile. Plan on riding tomorrow if I am not too hungover tomorrow.
See you tonight?

-believe it or not there's alot more snow and ice up here near the GWB then I saw in the city/LI recentley.


I still have road tires on my CX, maybe I'll just swap em, but I hate riding asphalt w CX tires. Feels like I'm going backwards..


see ya tonight - (what time is it again anyway? I'm not doing the chromosexual retard show at Javits this year..... )
__________________
Black Shadow of Vincent, falls on a Triumph line

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015