Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #9466
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho
Helmet has arrived. Uhm, head fits but there's no place for my ears. Not too impressed. These bicycle helmets don't seem to have a lot of protection. I think I will try something beefier.
One thing to remember is you're PEDALING. That means heat. That also means without airflow, you sweat. Them styrofoam jobbies do a pretty good job of protecting yer noggin...

Give it a try before you 'upgrade.'

M
Old 01-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #9467
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
I took the wheel off of my "comfort" bike and put it on the mountain bike and it will work as a temporary fix, until I can get a new rim and spokes, or buy an already built wheel.

Know for some free time to ride.

Kurt ---- How are the trails in Omaha?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #9468
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
We should have an ADVbike (mtn and road bike) rally??

hmmm

maybe:

Fruita?

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:36 AM   #9469
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by playzNmud
We should have an ADVbike (mtn and road bike) rally??

hmmm

maybe:

Fruita?
Last year at WF I saw quite a few road cyclists headed up the passes. It looked like pleasure and pain all at the same time. I'd like to give it a try, but being a flatlander, I think it'd be pure hell.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 AM   #9470
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

I need a training partner to push me harder on my road bike. I can ride the same route and try to push myself, but I know I could go harder for the 40 mile ride at times. I started using my Garmin 305 to give me a better idea of my heart rate and speeds.

Unfortunetly, I live in midwestern hickville, where if you don't own at least three 4 wheel drive vehicles you shouldn't be alive. I am one of the few that rides a bicycle for workouts, and it is even worse when I ride my bike to work on days that it rains. I rode my bike last week and people thought I should be checked into the nut house. Temperatures we below freezing, but the roads were dry and safe. Now they are back to ice packed, so I am driving my non-4WD pickup to work. The shame in it all.

I guess I will need to get the mountain bike ready to go and drive an hour to get fifthcircle (Kurt) to show me some trails and give me a workout.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #9471
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I need a training partner to push me harder on my road bike. I can ride the same route and try to push myself, but I know I could go harder for the 40 mile ride at times. I started using my Garmin 305 to give me a better idea of my heart rate and speeds.

Unfortunetly, I live in midwestern hickville, where if you don't own at least three 4 wheel drive vehicles you shouldn't be alive. I am one of the few that rides a bicycle for workouts, and it is even worse when I ride my bike to work on days that it rains. I rode my bike last week and people thought I should be checked into the nut house. Temperatures we below freezing, but the roads were dry and safe. Now they are back to ice packed, so I am driving my non-4WD pickup to work. The shame in it all.

I guess I will need to get the mountain bike ready to go and drive an hour to get fifthcircle (Kurt) to show me some trails and give me a workout.
In the greater scheme of things, an hour's not too bad. Especially if its a buddy.

HOWEVER

Pushing yourself for no apparent reason is a good way to x fast and no more. Go to the library and see if you can find a copy of Joe Friel's book on training and peridization. You don't HAVE to go fast every ride/run in order to get fast. In fact, a lot of times, the slower you go, the faster you'll get ASSuming you're doing intervals and sprints at least 10% of your total riding distance.

Oh, and right now is not the time to be flying. There's no need! No races. No big rides. etc. Sprints/intervals need to start here soon IF you're gonna be racing in April. If not, then it can wait just a bit.

HTH

M
Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #9472
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
Quote:

too bad you're not near Boulder - I am in need of a riding partner(s) as well. I am going to try and ride the Triple By-Pass AND Leadville Classic (if I can afford the entry of this one) next summer.

any takers?

I have joined up on a couple of websites for rides - but I am weird when it comes to "meeting up with complete strangers" and not knowing a single thing about them.... sounds weird since I really don't know anybody here either - but it just doesn't feel like strangers in here for some reason??

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #9473
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by playzNmud
I have joined up on a couple of websites for rides - but I am weird when it comes to "meeting up with complete strangers" and not knowing a single thing about them.... sounds weird since I really don't know anybody here either - but it just doesn't feel like strangers in here for some reason??
Boy do we have YOU fooled!!

Talked to Gambrinus lately? He's tryin that track thing and may have gotten bitten by the bug again.

With your body type, I'd say you'd make a FINE track cyclist there Missy! Just think: no hills! Pure speed and basically no turns. Oh, and if you go and you get comfy on the track, race Madisons. Pure adrenalin fun!

M
Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #9474
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

I need to push myself to continue to loose fat and build muscle. I am going to work hard at getting through a few triathlons this year. There are no bike races that I am aware of in our area and I have never raced, so I don't know if it is something I would want to do.

I am trying to get my old self into shape for everyday living and enjoying my life as much as I can everyday. Very little, if any, TV and do what my father didn't do and that was to enjoy time away from work. I am spending more time outside and running, biking, swimming, etc.........

That is why I looked at gettting a very used mountain bike.

I do some interval training on my rollers now, and I use the hills in our area when I am riding outside.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #9475
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I need to push myself to continue to loose fat and build muscle. I am going to work hard at getting through a few triathlons this year. There are no bike races that I am aware of in our area and I have never raced, so I don't know if it is something I would want to do.

I am trying to get my old self into shape for everyday living and enjoying my life as much as I can everyday. Very little, if any, TV and do what my father didn't do and that was to enjoy time away from work. I am spending more time outside and running, biking, swimming, etc.........

That is why I looked at gettting a very used mountain bike.

I do some interval training on my rollers now, and I use the hills in our area when I am riding outside.
BEfore you get too excited, go find Friel's book. Read it.

OR failing that, the Tri-specific version. Prolly mo bettah since you aren't specifically a bicycle racer.

M
Old 01-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #9476
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
BEfore you get too excited, go find Friel's book. Read it.

OR failing that, the Tri-specific version. Prolly mo bettah since you aren't specifically a bicycle racer.

M
Which one ?

Guy's written tons....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #9477
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Which one ?

Guy's written tons....
Link for the Triathletes in the crowd

Link for the cyclists in the crowd

I've personally used the training plans in the second book with success. Right until I did the clean and jerk on my RT the wrong way at the DMV an screwed up my back.

M
Old 01-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #9478
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

I actually own two of his:

Your First Triathlon

and

The Cyclists Training Bible.

Done with the first haven't started the second, I am currently reading a different triathlon book currently.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #9479
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Link for the Triathletes in the crowd

Link for the cyclists in the crowd

I've personally used the training plans in the second book with success. Right until I did the clean and jerk on my RT the wrong way at the DMV an screwed up my back.

M
Thanks, I'll take a look.

BTW, I did my first face plant on the rollers with the new shoos

Started to fall, fook, I said to myself why isn't my foot coming of the pedal

Not my first time on a bike, but it is the first time on a bicycle
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #9480
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,453

It's winter you dummies, you should be skiing.

On Friel's books: I had grand plans for top level training when I joined my team last spring and bought his mountain bike book.

I guess it's useful if you really want to know what the guys at the front are doing. I learned a few useful things, but overall his training methods aren't for me.

In biking season, I'll ride most everyday. I don't even carry a watch with me to track how long I ride now, let alone a GPS to track how fast and how far. Main goal is just to get out there and have fun.

Must be working, my biggest limitation in racing these days is mental. I can go lots faster than I usually think I can.

Of course, I've been doing the same thing with skiing this year. My lack of serious preparation may just kill me next weekend.

Askel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: