Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #9496
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion
I'm getting closer to that day when I spin on a fixed cog, I'm just not taking off my brakes anytime soon.

problem with a rear brake on a fixie is you can't change the rear cog/gear to a different size without constantly adjusting the brake pads. And it's not as easy to adjust the chain tension on the fly when you have to always consider the rear brake.

So it's just easier/cleaner to go without a rear brake.

Ya get plenty of stopping power with just the front brake and a rear wheel skid anyway.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #9497
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
You gotta plan every block/hill ahead on a fixed, you know that...

your heart rates goes a little bit up.
No shit, huh? I've been up stuff on my fixie that I had NO intention of going up. Once there, you hafta gut it out or go home in shame.

Scorpion: I didn't plan on running without when riding on the road. Too many idiots out there for me to rely solely on my ability.

M
Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #9498
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoManiac
Oh noes!!!!

Any injuries?

The first time I rode a fixie was in college. I borrowed a friends bike to ride to the bar with a group of folks. I knew what a fixie was, although I hadn't been on one. They all took off flying down the road, and I peddled my ass off to catch up. Of course, once I caught up, I naturally stopped peddaling.......

I stayed on, but it was an almost perfect flying W........
Luckily I have this skill of relaxing on the "oh shiiiiiiitz " over getting all tensed up. I felt the mistake immediately, the rear tire came up and I relaxed over the seat and managed to stay upright AND IN LINE!!!!

I think another more important factor, I was NOT in a sprint, I was just pacing...irritated by my shorts

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #9499
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by playzNmud
Luckily I have this skill of relaxing on the "oh shiiiiiiitz " over getting all tensed up. I felt the mistake immediately, the rear tire came up and I relaxed over the seat and managed to stay upright AND IN LINE!!!!

I think another more important factor, I was NOT in a sprint, I was just pacing...irritated by my shorts
Yeah, if you let yer knees buckle, yer not nearly as likely to go over the bars.

You tried the Madison yet?

M
Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #9500
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Yeah, if you let yer knees buckle, yer not nearly as likely to go over the bars.

You tried the Madison yet?

M
not yet. I saw them practicing it the other day. I have the upper body strength, but my lungs are suffering at the moment. I tried a tiny bike today - a 43cm - but it is too small IF YOU CAN BELIEVE IT!!!! Something is actually TOO small for me! The smaller bike, I had NO power with - it sucked. I need a 46-47cm I think

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #9501
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
not yet. I saw them practicing it the other day. I have the upper body strength, but my lungs are suffering at the moment. I tried a tiny bike today - a 43cm - but it is too small IF YOU CAN BELIEVE IT!!!! Something is actually TOO small for me! The smaller bike, I had NO power with - it sucked. I need a 46-47cm I think
Too small?!

YOU?!

THAT'S hard to fucking believe?!

(the no power on a small bike's not tho. )

The nice thing about the Madison is yer really only riding about a lap at a time AND you get accelerated up to speed to do it. Greatest hi-speed intervals ever invented!

Russ Denny built my last track frame. Custom. REAL nice! Not too spendy IIRC

John from Echelon is posting here. I over the looks of his frames.

Spicer builds some cheep bikes...

Oh, and keep an eye on Chuck's

HTH

M
Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #9502
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Quote:
Too small?!

YOU?!

THAT'S hard to fucking believe?!

(the no power on a small bike's not tho. )

The nice thing about the Madison is yer really only riding about a lap at a time AND you get accelerated up to speed to do it. Greatest hi-speed intervals ever invented!

Russ Denny built my last track frame. Custom. REAL nice! Not too spendy IIRC

John from Echelon is posting here. I over the looks of his frames.

Spicer builds some cheep bikes...

Oh, and keep an eye on Chuck's

HTH

M
sadly, I cannot afford a special bike...I need to keep riding to get recognized and asked to ride for a team (my goal)

we'll see how that goes

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
Old 01-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #9503
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
sadly, I cannot afford a special bike...I need to keep riding to get recognized and asked to ride for a team (my goal)

we'll see how that goes
Good luck with that!

Your own dedicated track bike is muy bueno but don't hafta be spendy. My first one cost me $40

You don't really need to start with a complete bike. A frame/fork is enough. There's bunches of spare parts layin around ADVRider you can pick up for cheep. A 53x16t combo is right about the same as a 49x15. You can run road stuff temporarily...

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 01-14-2009 at 08:13 PM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #9504
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 964
The funniest thing about fixed gear: After you've ridden one exclusively for a few days, get back on a bike with a freewheel. Stop pedaling, and then panic briefly thinking you can't do that and you're about to get kicked off...

All this talk about fixed-gears is making me want to convert my winter bike back to that setup.

Monday I took it out and rode around on a frozen pond. That was... interesting. There were 3-4 inches of loose snow over the ice; Nothing too difficult to pedal through, but it killed traction. Can't accelerate or brake hard, and your turning radius, assuming you want to stay upright, is about 5 times as wide as it would be on pavement.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #9505
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
I think I will stick with my multispeed bikes. I like to have my knees not bother me and I like ride at whatever cadence I want. Maybe some other year, but right now, I think I like having choices. That, and I am sure I would crash badly on a fixed.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #9506
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,368
Thanks

Quote:
Your frame and fork need to be disc compatible to go the route yer lookin to go. The Access frame/fork combo at PBS is pretty good for the $$ if you HAVE to have discs. There's a Voodoo on CL Tucson if yer short.

Personally? Kool Stop Salmons are some of the best pads out there. You can get em as replacement pads, on their own, or as part of a new set of replacment pads.

AFA cable brakes on this setup: go with the Avid road stuff. Work well. Cable brakes aren't *quite* as nice, but they're MUCH easier to live with on a daily basis. After all, you can re-do the cables yerself with tools you already have. Hydraulics? Need special stuff.

HTH

M
Old 01-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #9507
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I think I will stick with my multispeed bikes. I like to have my knees not bother me and I like ride at whatever cadence I want. Maybe some other year, but right now, I think I like having choices. That, and I am sure I would crash badly on a fixed.
I've ridden fixed lots and my knees don't bother me.

Its all in the setup ie: bike fit

M
Old 01-16-2009, 04:02 AM   #9508
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
I've ridden fixed lots and my knees don't bother me.

Its all in the setup ie: bike fit

M
If I have to mash, I feel it in my knees. Multiple sports injuries 25+ years ago are really coming back to haunt me.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #9509
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,692
another gem found on BikeSnobNYC

all this talk about fixies... you better make sure you have enough street cred to go out on one. Luckily enough, you can get it on ebay these days:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:EF:US:1123

(read the questions/answers, hilarious!)
Old 01-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #9510
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
I've just had the most extreme and intense times on two wheels that I can remember.

I recently returned to Boulder, and some racers built up an indoor 142-meter velodrome, which openend two weekends ago.

I've been doing one-hour race clinics on the track, riding pacelines and sprinting on a 45-degree 'drome. It's friggin' hairball! I'm scared to my core trying to hold a line at full tilt in the corners. And loving every second of it.

Going back tonight for my second hit this week. Nothing has had this kind of impact on me. Since it is 55F out and sunny right now, I'm going to take my Serotta out to loosen up a bit before the track. It's like legal crack, I swear.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: