User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 514 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #9556
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,834
I finally got out for a ride after work the other night along the bike path. Dark and cold. This was my first real dark ride since forever. When I moved out here eleven years ago I gave away my lights. Never had the time or inclination to get out there.
But, I just had to ride, so I hopped on the old steed and headed out.

Damn cold, at least there was no wind. OK, not that cold when compared to real cold, but for an old softy here in the OC, it was cold. My nose was running pretty good and my toes went Popsicle in an hour of cranking. It'll be another few days before I can get back to the push bike again. But it felt good to be out there.

Darkness,
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:39 AM   #9557
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Those are some very nice looking bicycle racks. I didn't look at anything but the one picture. Is this something she makes for everyone, or just something she wanted to do for her bike and your bike?
Old 01-30-2009, 04:46 AM   #9558
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Oddometer: 1,303
Any singlespeed ideas

Sold my F/S rockhopper last year along with the full carbon Prologue. I am down to an old steel hybrid Mongoose with a bent rear triangle.
For some reason I have an itch for a single speed, front susp. mtn bike (with discs of course) Anyone riding one something like this?
Old 01-30-2009, 05:36 AM   #9559
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Ragbrai

RAGBRAI is having an overnight stay in my home town. Maybe I should ride a couple of days of it.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #9560
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
RAGBRAI is having an overnight stay in my home town. Maybe I should ride a couple of days of it.
One of the Harriettes in town here does RAGBRAI every year. Sez its quite the rolling party.

I'd say 'go for it!'

M
Old 01-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #9561
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,618
Flip,

She makes them custom for people. TIG'd stainless steel. Gotta send out the fork or frame though. We're touring Baja in March and I wanted some new racks that broke down for shipping the bike out. Can't wait for some warm and sunny sand in my toes!

Looks like I need to start a smugmug account so I can post some pics one of these days.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #9562
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyr
Sold my F/S rockhopper last year along with the full carbon Prologue. I am down to an old steel hybrid Mongoose with a bent rear triangle.
For some reason I have an itch for a single speed, front susp. mtn bike (with discs of course) Anyone riding one something like this?
Like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banjocycles/2659013775/

Made it for my brother in law, who's about the sickest mtn biker I've ever known. Lojack
Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #9563
fyr
iRoast Coffee

Lojack
Nice ride. Chromoly frame, Chris King head set, Manitou shocks?
I wanna go that route as I need a bike in the next little while but want to go minimalist.. Going to pull a baby carrier for one thing, but we've some single track just down the road. I was all over it on my Fisher- 92 HookooEkoo and Specialized FS. I really like the FS (specially at Bromont) but she had to go.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #9564
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

FYR,

it's actually some silly stainless steel tubing made by Reynolds, their 953 tubeset. Well it's not silly, except for how much it costs, but it's pretty sweet stuff. Fox 29'er fork with the hip new 650b wheels (or 27.5 as they are called for mtn bikes). If I can ever scrounge up some cash for myself, I'd like to make my own. It's easier when other people pay you to do it.

I always get the bug to go mountain biking this time of year. Right now, I've got to pretend when I'm riding over snow banks.

Lojack
Old 01-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #9565
fyr
iRoast Coffee

I hear you.
I took my 15 yr old commuter out for a blast in the woods (rigid frame) and wrapped the deraileur around the cog set. No drop outs so it bent the triangle. Had that log been in the open and not covered by a foot of snow I may have avoided it. I didnt and now it sits with a donor bike awaiting attention (along with a KLR waiting for farkle installation and a 79 Honda waiting to be risen from a deep slumber)
So when I get some time, out comes the Guinness (or rum) a good cigar, great tunes and away we go... Fun in the garage.
But to be honest, Ive had mucho fun in the snow and a decent bike!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:24 AM   #9566
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
winter blaahs

This has to be the longest I've gone in a few years without riding. I've had solid iced and slush roads (shoulder) since Christmas, and I sold my 2.5 Kreitler rollers as they were just too difficult to ride. Didn't want to part w them but if you've ever used small diameter rollers you'll understand they're nothing like large drum types. Much more twitchy, and much harder resistance. Just not fun having your ass fisting a saddle in order to keep it from twiching off into a wall.

I find myself drawn again to the Insideride rollers -
http://www.insideride.com/index.php?...d=15&Itemid=36

But I can't fathom spending 800+ unless maybe I sell one of my 3 bikes.

The road is just not an option these days, I'm not going head to head with Bergen county driver's (like 80% Asian majority community) with an icey snow banked shoulder.

I don't care what you call me, and I don't care if it sounds racist or ignorant, but I've never seen such terrible cage drivers in my life here, and it's ALWAYS an Asian person behind the wheel. One just killed a cyclist in December on my route. I had one completely blow a stop sign in front of a police station last night. And he had the nerve to beep me!!

I put it in reverse, and turned into where I saw him parking, my GF said stop, don't do this, cut it out (she had a pizza on her lap). But I said I'm not letting him get away with that, he needs to know he was wrong and he's gonna kill somebody acting like an asshole. So as he's getting out of his SUV (mid 30s guy) and I pull up really close side by side to his car so he can't open his door. I tell him to roll down his window, and then tell him sternly but with no anger just what he did, and he was wrong, and he's gonna kill somebody driving like that, and that he had some nerve, etc, etc, again very nicely but firm. He apologized, and I slept better last night knowing I didn't let him get away with it.

I digress. It's just amazing to me how I move from one place to another where the driver's have become like 60% worse. I see it daily, and again, always an Asian. On the way to the bank yesterday a woman driving an M3 on her cell phone with ZERO visablity as her ENTIRE WINDSHIELD was covered in snow and ice, she actually had her head sticking outside the driver's window with a cell phone in her hand to her head. She was driving arounf 12 mph.....!fucked right...

The comedian's are right, sorry my Asian friends......but I don't know how the fuck you're getting passed the road tests...

_______________________________________________--------

Anyway........... have any of you actually tried the Insiderides, or know of anyone that uses them? Are they that good???

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #9567
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

I have seen others with conversion of standard rollers to sliders like the emotion. I am actually thinking about adding skate board rollers to the edges of my rollers. I rarely get to the sides, but sometimes while watching a movie I lean and don't notice. I do this when I do an indoor century ride on the rollers.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:42 AM   #9568
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
This has to be the longest I've gone in a few years without riding. I've had solid iced and slush roads (shoulder) since Christmas, and I sold my 2.5 Kreitler rollers as they were just too difficult to ride. Didn't want to part w them but if you've ever used small diameter rollers you'll understand they're nothing like large drum types. Much more twitchy, and much harder resistance. Just not fun having your ass fisting a saddle in order to keep it from twiching off into a wall.

I find myself drawn again to the Insideride rollers -
http://www.insideride.com/index.php?...d=15&Itemid=36

But I can't fathom spending 800+ unless maybe I sell one of my 3 bikes.

The road is just not an option these days, I'm not going head to head with Bergen county driver's (like 80% Asian majority community) with an icey snow banked shoulder.

I don't care what you call me, and I don't care if it sounds racist or ignorant, but I've never seen such terrible cage drivers in my life here, and it's ALWAYS an Asian person behind the wheel. One just killed a cyclist in December on my route. I had one completely blow a stop sign in front of a police station last night. And he had the nerve to beep me!!

I put it in reverse, and turned into where I saw him parking, my GF said stop, don't do this, cut it out (she had a pizza on her lap). But I said I'm not letting him get away with that, he needs to know he was wrong and he's gonna kill somebody acting like an asshole. So as he's getting out of his SUV (mid 30s guy) and I pull up really close side by side to his car so he can't open his door. I tell him to roll down his window, and then tell him sternly but with no anger just what he did, and he was wrong, and he's gonna kill somebody driving like that, and that he had some nerve, etc, etc, again very nicely but firm. He apologized, and I slept better last night knowing I didn't let him get away with it.

I digress. It's just amazing to me how I move from one place to another where the driver's have become like 60% worse. I see it daily, and again, always an Asian. On the way to the bank yesterday a woman driving an M3 on her cell phone with ZERO visablity as her ENTIRE WINDSHIELD was covered in snow and ice, she actually had her head sticking outside the driver's window with a cell phone in her hand to her head. She was driving arounf 12 mph.....!fucked right...

The comedian's are right, sorry my Asian friends......but I don't know how the fuck you're getting passed the road tests...

_______________________________________________--------

Anyway........... have any of you actually tried the Insiderides, or know of anyone that uses them? Are they that good???

I am sick of this winter also. I have been on my rollers quite a bit but it;s just not the same. I haven't ridden any kind of bike (human or otherwise) for about 6 weeks
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #9569
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,679
Perry - they're just rollers. It's easy to get caught up in the neat toys (we all know it). I had my $100 Nashbar rollers for like 8 years and they always did the trick - better than a trainer, and an alternative to the slush and death on the roadway. I wish I had kept them in storage when we moved.

Keep the bike, get cheap big drum rollers, and do an anti-snow dance instead.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #9570
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack
FYR,

it's actually some silly stainless steel tubing made by Reynolds, their 953 tubeset. Well it's not silly, except for how much it costs, but it's pretty sweet stuff. Fox 29'er fork with the hip new 650b wheels (or 27.5 as they are called for mtn bikes). If I can ever scrounge up some cash for myself, I'd like to make my own. It's easier when other people pay you to do it.

I always get the bug to go mountain biking this time of year. Right now, I've got to pretend when I'm riding over snow banks.

Lojack
What's up LoJack?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: