Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #9586
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmike
What's up LoJack?
No Mucho. See you at the diner in a couple weeks? Blue corn pancakes, here I come!
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #9587
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,817
Just got back from a weekend in Rocky Point MEX. Drank too much and didn't ride or run at all. Not that y'all wanna hear this, but I took a 3-flusher at the first gas station we got to in the US.

Why my ass decided it could only go in an American terlit is beyond me!

Anyway, on Fri I actually went out on my road bike. Why is this news? 'Cause its the first time I'd been out on it since I'd gotten here in fucking NOVEMBER! Been *gasp* running in the desert a bit, but not riding. Mostly 'cause the dog likes to go out and run around like a retard in the brush and it don't seem right that I'm out and he's stuck in the house. Did 25km or so in an hour. Rode downhill to start, turned up a very gentle grade to the top of the hill that the road goes up, then back down the hill towards the house. I still got spin, but I ain't got power. Oh well. Hafta work on that!

M
Old 02-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #9588
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer
I rode for a couple hours, including a very fun winding descent that I love (this is pavement, 30-35 mph). My wife rode for a couple more after that- she's going to do the markleeville death ride this year.

I'm still riding my ancient trek 1200- 14 speed shimano 105 with down tube shifters and the original brake pads. I love to hate this bike. I'm going to try to build this klein frame I got into a road bike with a double crank and a 12-32 cassette on back. I need to spin, and the bay area has it's share of hills.
You find a BB setup for that Klein?

You may wanna consider a compact crank setup... Don't HAVE to have the long cage rear der and the pie plate cassette to get the low gears. A 50x12 top gear is about the same as a 53x13. How often do you spin out a 53x12-13? I don't have the small end's gear inch chart memorized. You'll hafta work that one out on yer own.

An older square taper mtn crank is gonna need a 118-ish mm wide spindle. 118-122 depending on the crankset and frame. If you end up with something like a first gen XTR crankset, they have 110 BCD rings. You can get up to 53-ish teeth big rings and as small as 32-ish teeth middle rings. (IIRC on the middle rings... Check around!)

M
Old 02-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #9589
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

M
Old 02-03-2009, 04:07 AM   #9590
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Look at that chain. I always knew there were times it might have some slack, but never expected it to be like that.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #9591
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,679
The upside of being home in New England again, is that I can't freaking wait for 'cross season!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #9592
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Perry - they're just rollers. It's easy to get caught up in the neat toys (we all know it). I had my $100 Nashbar rollers for like 8 years and they always did the trick - better than a trainer, and an alternative to the slush and death on the roadway. I wish I had kept them in storage when we moved.

Keep the bike, get cheap big drum rollers, and do an anti-snow dance instead.
Yeah but they're so trick...

Maybe I'll price some big drums at lunch

I've got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time...
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #9593
B-RAD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Just got back from a weekend in Rocky Point MEX. Drank too much and didn't ride or run at all. Not that y'all wanna hear this, but I took a 3-flusher at the first gas station we got to in the US.

Why my ass decided it could only go in an American terlit is beyond me!

Anyway, on Fri I actually went out on my road bike. Why is this news? 'Cause its the first time I'd been out on it since I'd gotten here in fucking NOVEMBER! Been *gasp* running in the desert a bit, but not riding. Mostly 'cause the dog likes to go out and run around like a retard in the brush and it don't seem right that I'm out and he's stuck in the house. Did 25km or so in an hour. Rode downhill to start, turned up a very gentle grade to the top of the hill that the road goes up, then back down the hill towards the house. I still got spin, but I ain't got power. Oh well. Hafta work on that!

M

I've got the same issue with my Malamute. Can't stand to leave him in the house while I ride. And I can't even begin to work him out running. But me+MTB+jeep trails = him flat-ass-worn-out. I get a nice ride in the dirt, snow, mud, whatever, and he gets to chase me, or rabbits, or fox,. My only problem is my older dog doesn't get to go as much anymore. Poor old guy, I feel him.
B-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #9594
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
Yeah but they're so trick...

Maybe I'll price some big drums at lunch
Rode my rollers last nite in the garage. Can you say boooorrrrriiiinnnnnggggg! Managed to get in 40min without going into terminal boredom.

One thing I DID find out was I'm WAY outta shape!

I also found out that I've got a vibration that didn't used to be there. Not sure where it came from, but its been years since I've ridden em, so

Gonna take el perro out in the desert again today. Prolly do 3-ish miles on two feet. Short run tonite 'cause tomorrow's Mr Happy's Pickup Hash nite.

M
Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #9595
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 6,423
Howdy

Alright i'll chime in on this one been riding Mnt bikes for the last year and a half here in the foot hills of the Sandias mostly once to three time a week 8-15 miles at a time, ive about 6 friends i ride with not not all at once and not includeing wifey when shes game. Few of the guys are competitors in all aspects road, cross and mnt and Geoff Kabush lives up the street but i dont ride with him so i get pushed real hard offen. I wouldn't mind riding to work but 17 miles one way and then no shower change facilitys limmits it and besides i got a motorcycle for that. We pretty much ride year round here last Saturday we were out in the 25 degree sunshine on dry ground and New Years day in 3" if fresh snow so if you want to do it go do it. Ive a Mongoose Teocali comp and the wife rides a GT hard tail

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #9596
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53
Alright i'll chime in on this one been riding Mnt bikes for the last year and a half here in the foot hills of the Sandias mostly once to three time a week 8-15 miles at a time, ive about 6 friends i ride with not not all at once and not includeing wifey when shes game. Few of the guys are competitors in all aspects road, cross and mnt and Geoff Kabush lives up the street but i dont ride with him so i get pushed real hard offen. I wouldn't mind riding to work but 17 miles one way and then no shower change facilitys limmits it and besides i got a motorcycle for that. We pretty much ride year round here last Saturday we were out in the 25 degree sunshine on dry ground and New Years day in 3" if fresh snow so if you want to do it go do it. Ive a Mongoose Teocali comp and the wife rides a GT hard tail
17 miles is about perfect. About an hour by road bike.

You don't need shower facilities as long as you have a half-wrap and a sink. DAMHIK. Dr Bronner's is a great thing! Wash up with it, shampoo with it, brush yer teeth with it. As an added bonus it smells good!

Yeah, people'll look at you like yer but yer not gonna stink and you'll be in MUCH better shape after a bit of commuting. Stash some drawers and shoes at work so you don't hafta carry em every trip.

During the winter, make sure you have GOOD lights. The new super-bright blinky lights and some high-powered LED front lights if you're not riding out in the boonies should be fine.

M
Old 02-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #9597
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
Quote:
You don't need shower facilities as long as you have a half-wrap and a sink. DAMHIK. Dr Bronner's is a great thing! Wash up with it, shampoo with it, brush yer teeth with it. As an added bonus it smells good!
Yeah, people'll look at you like yer but yer not gonna stink and you'll be in MUCH better shape after a bit of commuting. Stash some drawers and shoes at work so you don't hafta carry em every trip.
+1 Also, re-establish the company's expectation of what's appropriate for work apparel.

During spring, fall, and winter, I wear wool. I don't get as sweaty as poly and don't stink as much either. A bike ride before and after work really changes my attitude for the best.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #9598
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 6,423
Quote:
17 miles is about perfect. About an hour by road bike.

During the winter, make sure you have GOOD lights. The new super-bright blinky lights and some high-powered LED front lights if you're not riding out in the boonies should be fine.

M
Oh yeah that was the other thing i would have to leave the house at 4:30 a.m. to be in by 5:30 and start up at 6 meaning get up at 3:30! Nah! I'll ride the Gran and continue with my current workout before work and ride the bicycle on the weekend days.

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #9599
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Just a little bump to say that I finally got out on my luscious Serotta for the first time in 16 months! That dang antarctic ice shelf living really got in the way of riding anything.

But, I had a nice 18 mile spin in the countryside on Saturday. And in a few minutes, I am going in to the velodrome in Boulder to get some left turns going.

Ah, nice. I had to go back East for two weeks, so I have gotten really out of shape and lazy. Well, lazier than normal (which is disgustingly lazy).

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #9600
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Did anyone ride on Superbowl Sunday?
Nope. My assumption that the snowmobiler and superbowl viewer demographics had high correlation paid off and I had the woods to myself.

This winter has just been way too good to even think about bicycles. I haven't even scoured ebay for Pugsley parts in months.

I did just sign up for another year with my local bicycle team. Still haven't really figured out what I want to get out of it this year. Thinking of maybe trying some road racing, maybe push myself a bit in MTB racing and see what I can do, or maybe just kick back and enjoy the great excuse to drink beer....
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: