User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 AM   #9616
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,959
Ms Mud, if you have a track to play on near you I say go for it! Way cheaper than track days on any moto and a hoot too! Not to mention it will add another facet to your exercise routine. Giv 'er!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:34 AM   #9617
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
Ms Mud, if you have a track to play on near you I say go for it! Way cheaper than track days on any moto and a hoot too! Not to mention it will add another facet to your exercise routine. Giv 'er!
Hey Playz...

You thought about running a training session at the track? I know you know more'n most about exercise physiology an stuff. Prolly letcha ride/race for free.

Just a thought.

M
Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #9618
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Remember when I said my first track/FG was $40? Well www.Chucksbikes.com has a Tsunami frame for cheep...Look for the frames page. Won't run ya too much...

You can run any road crankset, but for your height, I'd go 165s at the longest. Like I said 52x16 is about the same as a 49x15. Go for a cheep cog or two and a road chain and yer not out a buncha $$.

Bars and stems you can prolly find for dirt. Ditto with saddle and seatpost if you don't want anything fancy to start with.

HTH

M

IIRC, the Tsunami frames were built by Russ Denny, Dave Moulton's long time apprentice. If that means anything to you, neat, huh? If it doesn't. Dave was a custom frame builder who built Masis for a while as well as his own brand (Fuso). All got rave reviews. Dave has a great archive:
http://www.prodigalchild.net/Bicycle.htm

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 AM   #9619
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
Quote:
Hey Playz...

You thought about running a training session at the track? I know you know more'n most about exercise physiology an stuff. Prolly letcha ride/race for free.

Just a thought.

M
oh you're kidding, right??

Noooooo..... when it comes to the track, I am served a large helping of humble pie. I live in Colorado - the mecca of athletes and most of the novices would be considered semi-pro or pro in other regions. My fitness expertise is gym, rehabilitation, and strength as well as core structure....

I NEED to be trained when it comes to cycling... I am very competitive, and "get it" to most sports very quickly... but I am no coach...hell, I just figured out how much a difference a properly fitting bike makes in the ability to ride :lol

but thank you for the vote of confidence...

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #9620
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Quote:
isn't THAT the truth. I spent WAAAAAY too much money on track days (mcycle) and racing was even worse...and for what ???

fun is a drug it really is.......expensive

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #9621
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonomus
IIRC, the Tsunami frames were built by Russ Denny, Dave Moulton's long time apprentice. If that means anything to you, neat, huh? If it doesn't. Dave was a custom frame builder who built Masis for a while as well as his own brand (Fuso). All got rave reviews. Dave has a great archive:
http://www.prodigalchild.net/Bicycle.htm
They were till Tsunami found about about Russ usin the name and they made him stop. My little brother has a frame Russ made as a Sunami the second year of whatever team commissioned those frames.

The ones on www.Chucksbikes.com are the Aussie bikes.

I lived and rode at Sandy Eggo's track on a custom Russ Denny bike. Loved the way that thing rode. Sold it when I moved away from all the tracks. Closest one to me now is... Sandy Eggo! ...and that's MIN 6 hours away.

M
Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #9622
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by playzNmud
oh you're kidding, right??

Noooooo..... when it comes to the track, I am served a large helping of humble pie. I live in Colorado - the mecca of athletes and most of the novices would be considered semi-pro or pro in other regions. My fitness expertise is gym, rehabilitation, and strength as well as core structure....

I NEED to be trained when it comes to cycling... I am very competitive, and "get it" to most sports very quickly... but I am no coach...hell, I just figured out how much a difference a properly fitting bike makes in the ability to ride :lol

but thank you for the vote of confidence...
Ride s'more and make it a point to get fitted to a bicycle. Try the Serotta Size Cycle since yer prolly on something too big right now. If I were local (and I may yet be!) we can sit down and figger out yer positioning. I'm good at that stuff. Buddy of mine's gonna come over and we're gonna do him up. I KNOW there's things I can do for him, 'cause he's 5'7" riding a 55.5cm TT. After he decides that he NEEDS a new frame, I'll help him get that fit right too.

Bit o advice: Never, EVER stick yer nose into the wind without a reason. You don't get paid to pull the pack around and it usually fucks yer chances of winning.

Breakaways are fun m'kay. Yeah, you'll prolly get shelled OTB once the pack decides to chase, but make em work! A few times, you'll have the legs to stay away. Nother kewl thing about track racin is you get 4-6 chances/nite to try something different. If an attack don't work *that way* try it again a different way next time. If yer positioning is off for the sprint, fix it next time round! Very

Oh, and Playz, I'd try racin with the boys. More aggressive than the wimmen's pack by far. If you can hang there, you can pretty much dictate what the wimmens are gonna do. Least that's the way Sandy Eggo worked.

M
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 AM   #9623
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Quote:

Oh, and Playz, I'd try racin with the boys. More aggressive than the wimmen's pack by far. If you can hang there, you can pretty much dictate what the wimmens are gonna do. Least that's the way Sandy Eggo worked.

M
who said I was riding with women??

but there are a couple that are smoking fast! There is an Olympic racer out there, she is just slightly - a rocket!

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #9624
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by playzNmud
who said I was riding with women??

but there are a couple that are smoking fast! There is an Olympic racer out there, she is just slightly - a rocket!
I've been beaten badly by a few of them wimmens. The fast ones hang in the Men's A pack and do well.

Its very humbling riding with former Olympians, Master's World Record Holders, et al. I don't have anywhere NEAR that talent. Just bein on the same track is

M
Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #9625
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
fun is a drug it really is.......expensive
but it is sooo much fun having fun isn't it? Where pain is just icing on the cake
Old 01-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #9626
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Quote:
but it is sooo much fun having fun isn't it? Where pain is just icing on the cake
Pain is my daily reminder that I had fun

yes...

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
Old 01-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #9627
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Pain is my daily reminder that I had fun
hmmmm....2 broken legs, AC separation, exploded rotator cuff, C3, C7 bone spurs blah blah blah
Old 01-27-2009, 01:42 AM   #9628
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,508
Bicycle Commuters of Anchorage

I totally admire and respect y'all hittin the track and I'd ride one too if there was one nearby.

I'm still bicycle commuting to work regularly. And yesterday I was part of a project promoting healthy living in the far North through outdoor activities including bicycling.

The opening shot of this segment on our local tv newscast shows my Puglsey fat tire bike. The girl interviewed, Kristi, is a Bicycle Commuters of Anchorage board member. She's a little 4'11", Professional, mother of 1, that's married to a friend of mine and commutes 9mi each way on her bicycle to her job! Pretty cool.

Anything 2 wheels for me, thank you. Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 01-27-2009 at 01:52 AM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #9629
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Quote:
hmmmm....2 broken legs, AC separation, exploded rotator cuff, C3, C7 bone spurs blah blah blah

oh this should be fun... I can forsee the injury list upcoming

let's see...
1 broken leg
separated A/C (both shoulders, twice on 1)
torn levator scapula muscle
3 broken ribs (they were the worst)
herniated C5,6,7
spurs on same
spurs on T3/4
oh ya, broken back (sounds worse than is, had sacrialization but no more)
variety of sprains
3 concussions, loss of memory (that's my escuse anyway)

I think that covers it... fun.

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #9630
skibum69
slave to gravity

you do have a year on me so I guess that's more time to beat yourself up. I'm a fairweather scared 'e' cat anyway so not much opportunity to really wreck myself

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: