Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 296 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #9811
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus
Ran into ( not literally ) PlayzInMud yesterday at the track. I was just coming off the track after an hour of having my testicles handed to me, and she was just coming in... "Hey how about riding with us for an hour" she says with a smile on her face... Funny girl, that Jenn. I guess she didn't notice that my tongue was dragging behind me leaving a trail like a beaten slug.

Seriously, it was a good workout and I'm finally starting to see some improvement in my riding.

RW
nice to meet ya!! I actually rode for 2 hours!!! You should have seen who came out for the 2nd hour - let's just say.... they were hauling ass!

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #9812
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
I've contacted most of my "local" (most of the Redline dealers in AZ) bike shops but no one stocks Redlines Monocog 29er. Looks like I might have to go into this blind (other then size). Am I going to hate this bike? I've only read good reviews on the bike. I'm fat and outta shape. 5'10 240lbs. I'm young and I really want to get back into shape and have a blast while I'm doing it. I plan on starting out nice and easy, then working my way up from there. No big epic hill's in my future. I'd love to commute on it if possible. What do y'all say?
My first piece of advice is start with something geared. SS and FG are for 'more advanced' riders. They're difficult 'cause you've only got one gear. Better pick it right!

5'10" means yer an 18". 17" at the smallest end. 19" at the biggest end.

Here's one in Phx

Another

Gary Fisher

In short: craigslist is yer friend

M
Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #9813
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
My first piece of advice is start with something geared. SS and FG are for 'more advanced' riders. They're difficult 'cause you've only got one gear. Better pick it right!

5'10" means yer an 18". 17" at the smallest end. 19" at the biggest end.

Here's one in Phx

Another

Gary Fisher

In short: craigslist is yer friend

M
Thanks for the advice (again). I've been watching CL, I don't want to rush anything I'm just really looking forward to getting back out there. I used to be really into mountain biking a couple of years ago. I like the D440.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:33 AM   #9814
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,895
Cervelo anyone?

Howdy,
I don't hang out in jo momma much but I have run across this thread and read it occasionally. It seems more like a mountain bike thread but I wanted to pass some info along in the event there are any road riders.
My LBS has discontiuned carrying Cervelos and I have 10 - new 2008 bikes that I am selling at near wholesale just to get them off the floor. Its a great deal for anyone who wants a new 2008 Cervelo orad or TT bike.

As for off road bike stuff, I have a new Easton EC90X full carbon cyclecross fork that I mounted on a hybrid road bike and quickly removed it. Seems Easton Carbon V brake forks and Carbon Zipp wheels are not very compatable and the brakes squeal like a pig. I have tried several Carbon specific pads with no luck and I can't live with it. The local cyclecross guys say it is a coomon problem.
Since I only ride on the road my braking noise sends sheer panic through the ride group so I am scraping it. Steering tube has only been cut about 1/2" and the remaining tube length is 285mm. I have ridden it about 500 miles. I'm going back to the OEM fork. The retail is about $500.00 and I will sell it for $250.00 plus shipping. The fork will be shipped in the original box with all the paper work and parts.

I would post this in the flea market but does anyone really look for bike stuff there?

Thanks, PM me if interested in the fork or the Cervelos. Detailed photos available.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #9815
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
I'm gonna bet that we have a sudden and quick Spring as I bought these things for the months of bad weather we've had so far, that's my luck..
thank you!!!

It would be gauranteed 60 degrees out tomorrow if I made a big "winter" purchase like that!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #9816
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
thank you!!!

It would be gauranteed 60 degrees out tomorrow if I made a big "winter" purchase like that!

Kinda works out like that don't it.....

Took another spin last night this time on the fixie, was able to go handless for the first time ever on rollers.....well for about a minute or 2 and then the front end went all wobbly.

Those rollerblade wheels actually work too, knock the wheel right back in to postion.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #9817
gambrinus
http://www.shrinershq.org

Oddometer: 6,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by playzNmud
nice to meet ya!! I actually rode for 2 hours!!! You should have seen who came out for the 2nd hour - let's just say.... they were hauling ass!
Colby?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #9818
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,838
So I went to the bike shop today.

Nah, I didn't spend any money, although I sure wanted to.

This was the same bike shop where 4 years ago, I got fitted for a bike. Last time was a rookie, this time I got a pro. And the results are totally different.

The bike I got 4 years ago is completely wrong for me. Waaay too small. I'm only 5'9", but I'm all legs. They old fitting was for essentially a 54 cm bike. Now, it's a 58cm.

I'd recently started riding again. The old bike's been sitting in the garage. I'm really enjoying it, but now have to upgrade bikes.

Anybody have a 58 road bike they want to get rid of? Cheap?

Lobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #9819
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Colby?
I prefer a sharp cheddar myself.

M
Old 02-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #9820
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,555
A couple of questions ...

Lobby, hi!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you looking for in a top tube length? Oh and what is the make and model of your old bike? Are you looking for something similar or just a frame?

Just out of curiosity, what's your inseam?

Thanks,

Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby

This was the same bike shop where 4 years ago, I got fitted for a bike. Last time was a rookie, this time I got a pro. And the results are totally different.

The bike I got 4 years ago is completely wrong for me. Waaay too small. I'm only 5'9", but I'm all legs. They old fitting was for essentially a 54 cm bike. Now, it's a 58cm.

I'd recently started riding again. The old bike's been sitting in the garage. I'm really enjoying it, but now have to upgrade bikes.

MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #9821
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt
Lobby, hi!

If you don't mind me asking, what are you looking for in a top tube length? Oh and what is the make and model of your old bike? Are you looking for something similar or just a frame?

Just out of curiosity, what's your inseam?

Thanks,

Liz

My inseam is 32" - 33" (blue jeans, not measured). Sorry.

I don't know the top tube length of the correctly sized bike. The salesman was trying to sell me various models of Trek bikes. The latest ones have carbon fiber legs, with metal in the rest of the frames.

I'm looking for a complete bike. Since this would be my 1st correctly fitting bike, theoretically , I don't want to spend a bunch of $ as I suspect I'll continue to tweak bikes / components / frames.

I just don't know enough to be too specialized right now.

Did I answer all your questions?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #9822
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

No, but what kind of 54 ya got?

I'm tryin to find a 58cm frame/fork too. For someone else!

Oh, and the Italian bikes are prolly yer best bet. Short TTs for their heights. Colnago's prolly the most famous for that. Gios too, but that's cause they've got steep ST angles. You may be a candidate for a custom bike... There's this German dood in Austin that's supposed to be fan-farging-tastic at fitting people, then building em a bike. Didn't have much luck googling it tho. He's supposed to be somewhat difficult to find...

M
Old 02-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #9823
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Actually, it's a Trek 7200 Hybrid. 17.5" frame (48 cm). But the salesman told me today that it's equivalent to a 54cm in a road bike.

Here's a pic of a similar bike off the interweb:

I've never taken a picture of the actual bike.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #9824
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,555
Hi!

Did you pick out any models that you liked? Knowing that might help us know what to find you for a bike.

Am I making sense?

Enjoy,

Liz

Quote:
Actually, it's a Trek 7200 Hybrid. 17.5" frame (48 cm). But the salesman told me today that it's equivalent to a 54cm in a road bike.

MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #9825
playzNmud
I love pedal derby

Oddometer: 4,080
Quote:
Colby?
no Alan (somebody) with really bad fake red hair....

```_o
`_-\<,_
(_)/_(_)
playzNmud is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: