Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 501 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #10006
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt
Mr. Head, Hi!

Can't you just get lost in reading Sheldon's stuff for hours? He was an amazing man. The Boston Brevet riders out here thought of him as god. Any brevet riders here? Anyone wanna know what brevets are?

Enjoy,

Liz
I agree with most of what he wrote mechanically. Others? Not so much. Tire rotating is one of those areas that I positively DO NOT agree with him on.

I know what Brevets are and don't wanna do em! Kinda like I know what the Davis Double and Death Ride are and have zero desire to ride em.

M
Old 03-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #10007
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
ah, Sedis rings a bell too. this bike used to shift just fine, and never had any problems jumping gears.... the old Suntour derailleurs really worked nicely.

anyways, when the new chain ring gets here, I'm gonna clean the deraileur up (I actually disassembled and cleaned the idlers really well a couple years ago and packed them with fresh waterproof grease, and noted minimal internal wear, so they should be good to go for another decade+)

the old chain, the outer plates are straight (viewed from the top), as are in the inner plates.

OOOH. Am I going to be able to use my old school screw-type Cyclo chain punch to install a new SRAM chain? I remember the drill of putting the pin in from one side, then using the other notch on the chain punch from the other side to spread the plates so the link is even and relieve the pressure. I just dunno if the chains have changed much...
If yer getting an 6/7/8sp chain, its the same as its always been *except* for the master link. New ones are way nicer than they used to be. Gotta cut the chain for it differently than just putting em back together 'the old way.'

M
Old 03-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #10008
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
If yer getting an 6/7/8sp chain, its the same as its always been *except* for the master link. New ones are way nicer than they used to be. Gotta cut the chain for it differently than just putting em back together 'the old way.'

M
my chains have never had a 'master link', I used a chain punch anywhere I needed to... ... ummmmmm, ok, ummm... (goes out to car, gets new SRAM PC850 chain, opens package, looks at it...) OH, WTF IS THAT SILVER THING?!? I remember masterlinks from old british raleigh 3-speeds

telling me 'do it differently' is great, but WHAT DO I NEED TO DO NOW?

oh look, there's actually instruction sheet in here. ok, wtf... mmm, nice Janglish... good god, this print is small... (turns on more reading light) ok, will my old Cyclo chain punch suffice to chop this thing to length, or will I need to bring it to the LBS and act stupid? the powerlink silver thing included looks simple enough to install.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:20 PM   #10009
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
my chains have never had a 'master link', I used a chain punch anywhere I needed to... ... ummmmmm, ok, ummm... (goes out to car, gets new SRAM PC850 chain, opens package, looks at it...) OH, WTF IS THAT SILVER THING?!? I remember masterlinks from old british raleigh 3-speeds

telling me 'do it differently' is great, but WHAT DO I NEED TO DO NOW?

oh look, there's actually instruction sheet in here. ok, wtf... mmm, nice Janglish... good god, this print is small... (turns on more reading light) ok, will my old Cyclo chain punch suffice to chop this thing to length, or will I need to bring it to the LBS and act stupid? the powerlink silver thing included looks simple enough to install.
Yer old chain tool is fine. Just make sure you account for the extra half link of the master link

M
Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 PM   #10010
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Yer old chain tool is fine. Just make sure you account for the extra half link of the master link

M

k, thanks! now I don't feel quite so skeered. i used to be a pretty decent amateur bike wrench in the old days of threaded headsets and such...

Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #10011
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
k, thanks! now I don't feel quite so skeered. i used to be a pretty decent amateur bike wrench in the old days of threaded headsets and such...

All the same skills apply, just slightly different executions.

M
Old 03-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #10012
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
All the same skills apply, just slightly different executions.

M
speaking of... square shaft 3-piece cranks... do they all still use the same tapered fit, or has that started to shift to alternate standards too? I saw something in passing somewhere (sheldon harris's site?) that sorta seemed to indicate there's a new style which won't fit the old style?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #10013
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
speaking of... square shaft 3-piece cranks... do they all still use the same tapered fit, or has that started to shift to alternate standards too? I saw something in passing somewhere (sheldon harris's site?) that sorta seemed to indicate there's a new style which won't fit the old style?
There's so many 'standards' that all I can say is 'it depends.' You can still get the square taper BBs from most/all of the wholesalers. You can get both (3?) generations of Octalink. You can get ISIS. You can even get the Campy stuff in all its permutations.

There's also the Campy square taper, the Mavic square taper and the Shimano square taper. Your crankarms take the Shimano square taper BB. With the single ring, you'll hafta measure whatcha got to make sure you get the right chainline. They come in many sizes: 103 to 128(ish) mm spindle lengths. I'm betting yours is somewhere around 113mm, but I could be wrong. (and am quite frequently!)

M
Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #10014
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
There's also the Campy square taper, the Mavic square taper and the Shimano square taper. Your crankarms take the Shimano square taper BB. With the single ring, you'll hafta measure whatcha got to make sure you get the right chainline. They come in many sizes: 103 to 128(ish) mm spindle lengths. I'm betting yours is somewhere around 113mm, but I could be wrong. (and am quite frequently!)

M
the crankset I have looks like it was meant for two chainrings, so I can mount the single ring either inside or outside... as is, its mounted on the 'inside' position (the smaller ring from a dual set), and its just about perfectly lined up with the middle sprocket of the 5-speed cluster.

I am rather tempted by this 7-speed Shimano thread-on cluster at Sheldon's...

** 14-16-18-20-22-24-34 "Megarange" FW723 $19.95

wow. if I did that, I'd probably drop 2 teeth on the 44 tooth front, as with my current 14-34 evenly spaced 5 gears, I find myself mostly using the middle 3 on the flats, the biggun on hills and rarely using the tallest gear as its just a bit too tall except for downhills or tailwinds. and for sure, the 5 gears -are- rather far apart... remember, this is a relatively upright 'cruiser' bike, NOT a racing bike... oh, and re: going from 5 to 7 gears, between axle spacers, and a bit of frame bending .... OH CRAP, no wait... its a sturmey archer drum brake rear hub, I *can't* play with the axle as one cone is perm attached, oh crap. ok, never mind.

fwiw, this frame was probably originally a ashtabula one piece steel crank, and has a 3-piece conversion BB in it. I do need to tweak the BB bearing set again as since I reassembled it after my major rebuild a year or so back, I've noticed the tiniest bit of play in the bearing, just on the edge of perceptibility.

heh. I sure spent a lot of time fixtating on my piece of crap $50 bike I got used 30 years ago :)
Old 03-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #10015
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,593
ok, I'm going to interrupt your drivetrain discussion with a new weather update. Yesterday morning wasn't very inviting for 2 wheeled transport. This morning is worse and the only thing you can't see is the wind which is still blowing at what I'd guess is a steady 50kmh gusting quite a bit higher. I'm definitely skiing this weekend! I just wanted to get that off my chest.

RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 AM   #10016
Patriot4570
Trail Blaster

Oddometer: 2,774
">I brought a hardrock pro a couple of weeks ago and took it to Guana State park the bike did real good has disc brakes and you can lock out the front forks so it has no movement if needed .Guana has nice wide trails and that is where this pic was taken.Next week I went to this place which has a lot more bike trails from beginner to advanced.http://www.coj.net/Departments/Recre...Trails+Map.htm

Patriot4570 screwed with this post 03-24-2009 at 06:41 AM
Patriot4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:31 AM   #10017
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
Oh hell, I'll bite. What's a brevet?
http://www.rusa.org/index.html
Bimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #10018
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
fwiw, this frame was probably originally a ashtabula one piece steel crank, and has a 3-piece conversion BB in it. I do need to tweak the BB bearing set again as since I reassembled it after my major rebuild a year or so back, I've noticed the tiniest bit of play in the bearing, just on the edge of perceptibility.
You want a hint of play. Otherwise things are too tight. This is especially true in yer hubs. When I mean a hint, I really do mean a C hair of play. In the hubs' cases, the extra gets 'taken up' by the QRs.

Oh, and Skibum: it'll be mid-80s and sunny again here today. But I wouldn't be so gauche as to mention that! Wouldn't want you to feel bad about yerself!

M
Old 03-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #10019
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,474
Quote:
ah, Sedis rings a bell too. this bike used to shift just fine, and never had any problems jumping gears.... the old Suntour derailleurs really worked nicely.

anyways, when the new chain ring gets here, I'm gonna clean the deraileur up (I actually disassembled and cleaned the idlers really well a couple years ago and packed them with fresh waterproof grease, and noted minimal internal wear, so they should be good to go for another decade+)

the old chain, the outer plates are straight (viewed from the top), as are in the inner plates.

OOOH. Am I going to be able to use my old school screw-type Cyclo chain punch to install a new SRAM chain? I remember the drill of putting the pin in from one side, then using the other notch on the chain punch from the other side to spread the plates so the link is even and relieve the pressure. I just dunno if the chains have changed much...
It sort of depends on the derrailluer. Most of the Suntour/Shimano basic derrailuers from tha era worked fine with the Sedis, but the DID's and other "stiffer" chains I felt tended to be crisper when shifting. It became a problem when you had some old clunk of a Huret Alvet derrailluer, or one of the Schwinn clones of the Alvet, and don't get me started on the old French pushrod front derrailluers.. It's a matter of the proximity of the upper jockey pulley to the cog tops, and how well the derrailluer tracks the upper pulley to them. The new SRAM chains are supposedly the same as the old Sedissport and since you can get SRAM chains in bulk lengths at some shops they're probably almost as chaep as the old paper enveloped Sedis's

A little "rant" about gear hubs and English 3 speeds. My Nishiki commuter bike has a Sachs Pentasport that has been in steady use for almost 12 years now, it's probably slightly heavier than your old cruiser gearing, but this hubset has defined longetivity for bike drivetrains in my experience.

I've never had it apart, I add a few drops of oil every other year, it always shifts, you can shift to any gear you want while at a stop, it doesn't suffer from the inefficiencies that the Shimano Nexus hubbombs have with their redundant power flow paths, as it's a true sun-planetary hub gear like the Sturmeys. It's the airhead of bike drivetrains.

My other commuter is a Rudge 3 speed from 1951, it's also seen many many miles. Yeah maybe it's old and heavy, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts, for rolling resistance on the flat, it's easier to pedal than any cruiser tired bike.

OK I've established my Old Skool Retro grouchness, I'll crawl back into my Luddite cave....
Old 03-24-2009, 07:54 AM   #10020
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek
OK I've established my Old Skool Retro grouchness, I'll crawl back into my Luddite cave....
If you were a true Luddite, you'd be riding fixed. NO moving parts... Them fancy assed internally geared hubs are the work of the man, holding down the masses with his relentless quest for 'more.'

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: