User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #10381
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
40 mile ride today. Decent on the way out, windy and cold on the way back. My fingers are still cold.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #10382
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Lance is a marked man - he knows it, we know it. He also knows the routine - as you say, he has been tested so many times he knows the routine off pat. I read also the inspector told him he could shower but I still would have declined, I would have stuck to this guy till he had collected his samples and gone. That's the routine.

It is total bullshit - who knows, the inspector may have been 'in' on it, but Lance or the people round him should have been a bit smarter here.
Yeah I guess you're right.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #10383
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,661
Paris-Roubaix is on today!

My favoritest race of the year.

M
Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #10384
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

I'm guilty of not looking back through all 260 pages, but does anyone know any good bicycle forums to read?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #10385
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop
I'm guilty of not looking back through all 260 pages, but does anyone know any good bicycle forums to read?
For what kind of info?

I like www.cyclingnews.com, www.pezcyclingnews.com, and www.velonews.com among others. The usual thing is to read JM, then cruise those sites, then www.roadbikereview.com.

M
Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #10386
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
For what kind of info?
I am seriously considering just trying to get a straight road bike, instead of finishing the conversion of my Kona to "hybrid" status. It would take much to put it back to full dirt mode (tires and put the suspension forks back on). Then I'll either sell it or maybe I could find someone with an older road bike that may want to trade.

So I just wanted to read more about road cycling. I like to throughly research things before I make a move.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #10387
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I am seriously considering just trying to get a straight road bike, instead of finishing the conversion of my Kona to "hybrid" status. It would take much to put it back to full dirt mode (tires and put the suspension forks back on). Then I'll either sell it or maybe I could find someone with an older road bike that may want to trade.

So I just wanted to read more about road cycling. I like to throughly research things before I make a move.
If yer inexperienced, I'd say 'check yer LBS first' afore you do anything. They're actually looking at you RIGHT NOW vs a website that sees 1s and 0s...

Sizing is key. Hence the LBS. Getting a fantastic bike that don't fit is marginally better than a cheap bike that does. ...and is sometimes worse!

M
Old 04-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #10388
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Inexperienced as far as road bikes go. I raced BMX for years and have been riding MTB's for a long time. I never cared much for making sure a bike fit me or not however. But since my second back surgery I realize the importance of fit and know my Kona, at 17", is really a little small for me and I feel cramped and like I am leaning forward a lot with the seat set like I do.

My local shops suck, I am sorry to say. They are either chains (Bike Line) or just don't care unless you are buying a brand new bike. I hear there are a few good ones in Pittsburgh, I haven't ventured downtown to check them out them as it's not exactly close for me.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #10389
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:
Inexperienced as far as road bikes go. I raced BMX for years and have been riding MTB's for a long time. I never cared much for making sure a bike fit me or not however. But since my second back surgery I realize the importance of fit and know my Kona, at 17", is really a little small for me and I feel cramped and like I am leaning forward a lot with the seat set like I do.
the kona's i've seen all have a really short top tube and a odd angle to the riding position. I've heard they are OK if you have a short torso.

good fit is real important on a road bike when you are spending hours spinning in the saddle.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #10390
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

American designed bikes tend to be longer thru the TT than the Euro bikes. If yer short legged and long torso-d Specialized makes a FINE bike for you.

www.bikesdirect.com seems to have SCREAMING deals on bikes. Gotta know whatcha want/need tho.

M
Old 04-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #10391
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

We loaded the bikes up and went down the rails-to-trails and my wife realized she really likes my Kona (except she hates the bars/stem). She is riding an old clapped out cheapo Pacific. I've been bugging her for a few years to upgrade but she doesn't really ride that often, a dozen times a year I bet, tops. So anyway, I think she is getting the Hahana and I will be bike shopping. I'm going to try ridng a couple road bikes to see if they agree with my back. I really want to go that route, but we'll see. No matter what I will be buying an older used bike, I can't afford $600-1000 for a new bike right now.

I'll have a TruAtiv Hussefelt bars and Holzfeller stem (31.8mm) for sale soon cheap if anyone is looking .
Old 04-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #10392
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Giant's OCR line, Specialized's Roubaix and X (don't remember the name at the moment ), as well as some of the other bikes are more 'upright.' Go peruse Rivendell's website for some interesting reading. Don't agree with all of it. Opinions are like belly-buttons...

If yer not in a hurry, there's deals out there. AMHIK

M
Old 04-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #10393
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Thanks. I plan to take my time and try to find a decent deal on a bike that actually fits me. I rushed into that Kona because I wanted to get back into riding last Spring and have regretted that I didn't take more time bike shopping.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #10394
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,361
I dont think i've ever showed you guys a pic of my bike. But here she is

a de rosa nuovo classico 54cm, with dura ace components.. except the wheels. All steel bike, the decals are coming off :( which pisses me off, but i love her. She is one tough momma

scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #10395
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

nice De Rosa

My size too!

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: