Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #10456
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmike
Hate to kill the Unimog vibe but is anybody here racing the Battenkill Roubaix this Saturday? It's my first time and first road race in at least five years and I would love to hear about your experience there. Wish me luck!

For those who haven't heard of it: http://www.tourofthebattenkill.com/
I hope the race is better than the website - holy 1996!!!

Looks like a cool race, I've never really heard anything about it. I know the area is beyond gorgeous, so if the race sucks, just enjoy the ride!

(and if you're into fly fishing, well, if you were I wouldn't have to tell you...)
Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #10457
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,526
You'll have fun ...

Quote:
Hate to kill the Unimog vibe but is anybody here racing the Battenkill Roubaix this Saturday? It's my first time and first road race in at least five years and I would love to hear about your experience there. Wish me luck!

Notmike et al, Hi!

It's a Great Race. You'll have a blast. The roads are typical Upstate New York / Vermont roads with no huge Gap climbs, lots of rollers. Don't be intimidated by the dirt.

Take a look at last years results. They had full fields in every class, even the Juniors, and 60 Cat 3 & 4 women. It's wonderful to see this kind of turn out at an early season race. This race is in a great location, on the outer rim of the New England racing area, same for the New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania racing area, resulting in a good group showing up.

Will you be racing as a Cat 5 under 35, 35+, or 45+, or any of the Masters classes. Check it out 88 guys in Masters 50+ and 13 in Masters 60+.

Oh and it's also 35 miles from my house if anyone needs a place to stay. Do you have a spare set of wheels? What do you ride Campy or Shimano, 8, 9 or 10?

Liz
MsLizVt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #10458
MsLizVt
pfft ...

One of the best streams in the east ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt

(and if you're into fly fishing, well, if you were I wouldn't have to tell you...)
You're absolutely right ... bring your bamboo, 4 weight, a pile of nymphs and stop in at Orvis World Headquarters while your at it.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #10459
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:

Jeez...that site is terrible. I couldn't get much info about the race there but I've done the 'Boulder Roubaix' a half a dozen or so times.

Have fun, racing road bikes on dirt is nuts. See if you can find some 25mm wide tires...they'll help a lot. Also, in a race like that there is a ton of attrition...I was always surprised that I often picked up some BAR points just by finishing even if I was dropped. We'd often see 75 Cat 4 riders start and 25 finish.

Ken
Old 04-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #10460
MsLizVt
pfft ...

It takes a lot to organize a race ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
Jeez...that site is terrible. I couldn't get much info about the race there but I've done the 'Boulder Roubaix' a half a dozen or so times.

Have fun, racing road bikes on dirt is nuts. See if you can find some 25mm wide tires...they'll help a lot. Also, in a race like that there is a ton of attrition...I was always surprised that I often picked up some BAR points just by finishing even if I was dropped. We'd often see 75 Cat 4 riders start and 25 finish.

Ken

Hi!

I guess after spending years with the only thing available for most races was one sheet of details either in the mail or online, as messy as this website appears to me it's a wealth of information. What couldn't you find? There seems to be a ton of stuff there including discussion forums like here. There are even three different types of mapping processes including a YouTube Fly Over video.

Certainly at Boulder Roubaix there was a lot of attrition. Hopefully this race won't have the same losses and be more inline with last years results. When one looks at the number of finishers versus starters there is not much difference than a regular road race on pavement. The Men's Cat 4 Black Group started 101 and finished 92, the Red Group started 94 and finished 85. Some of the groups only lost 1 or 2 people. That's pretty good.

For an early season race, 82 miles for the Pros/Cats 1 & 2, and 55 miles for everyone else, besides some of the younger juniors, this will be a wonderful way to start, don't you think? I concede though Ken, by comparison you all have real mountain climbs out there, plus that amazing track!

Enjoy,

Liz
Old 04-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #10461
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt
What couldn't you find?

Race bible/description of the course...and I admit, I didn't look very hard, my bad. I see it now.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #10462
MsLizVt
pfft ...

More discussion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco
Race bible/description of the course...and I admit, I didn't look very hard, my bad. I see it now.

Ken, Hi!

It's not easy to find everything in there, I know. Your talking about the Race Bible made me remember there used to be some really bad ones, and some really great race bibles. Personally I think the Altoona Stage Race as having a really great bible, Killington Stage Race had a pretty good one too, but there were some that were not very detailed at all.

Anyone have favorite stage races they liked and ones they didn't like?

Liz

MsLizVt screwed with this post 04-16-2009 at 04:34 AM
Old 04-16-2009, 12:52 AM   #10463
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCRad1

My first road bike is FINALLY FINISHED!!!!

Frame/Fork: Cinelli Aliante

Color/Finish: Frame: Soft-Touch Clear | Carbon-rears&fork: Natural-Clear
Gruppo: Campagnolo Record 10-Speed
Wheels: Campagnolo Scirocco G3

I don't think I will ever have the Italian sportscar, so this is it!
This is my F1 machine - complete with paddle shift - state-of-the-art Campagnolo Record Groupo - the whole bike is Italian.
YES - I adopted the bike snobb'ery way: -
shoes, bib's, jersey - ALL ITALIAN!!!!
I even have a Campagnolo water bottle - say's Made in Italy on the bottom.

Check out my Cinelli Build-Up thread.

That. Is. Art.

You tell me you're gonna ride that?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:34 AM   #10464
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,091

So how much does this little number cost? I know, I know,If you have to ask... You can't afford it.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:05 AM   #10465
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I'm racing the 40+cat 1-4 (still have my cat.3 license from days of yore!). I put a brand new set of Michelin Lithion 25c tires on my bike and am contemplating mounting a flask cage under the down tube for when the inevitable happens and I need some courage.

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement, and I'll be sure to report back.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #10466
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
I'm racing the 40+cat 1-4 (still have my cat.3 license from days of yore!). I put a brand new set of Michelin Lithion 25c tires on my bike and am contemplating mounting a flask cage under the down tube for when the inevitable happens and I need some courage.

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement, and I'll be sure to report back.
I'm a lifetime 4. Raced with the pros, etc at the track in Sandy Eggo, and now that I'm Masters age, I'll hafta think about going 3 just to stay with the big dogs. Safer, faster, more fun.

M
Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #10467
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti
So how much does this little number cost? I know, I know,If you have to ask... You can't afford it.
one of the websites was selling a few Volvo C303 aka TGB for about $13K each. they are quite a bit rarer than mogs and pinzgauers, and parts availability is nonexistent other than the engines (standard 70s 3.0L inline 6 volvo gas engine) so repairs consist mostly of fabrication, so owning and operating something like this is more of a hobby than anything. I can only see myself owning something like this if metric buttloads of money were to land on my lap.

http://www.xtremevehicles.com/html/v..._in_stock.html
http://www.real4x4.com/Volvo303.shtml
a bit of history
http://classicunimogs.com/4wd_magazine_c303.html

but, hey, with a highway cruising speed of 75mph, drop axles with 16" minimum ground clearance, vacuum actuated lockers, and a 45 degree angle of approach...
Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #10468
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Ah, well. Better shots later.

This is a fantastic machine.

Had I found this first, I think I'd only have one bike.

What it is: SalsaFargo

Javarilla screwed with this post 04-16-2009 at 12:03 PM
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #10469
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Good looking bike .
Old 04-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #10470
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Gummee,

More information on your HASHES please!!!

I have been off running for about two months and was doing 10k's on the treadmill even, but I tried running again after some time off because of the torn calf muscle and it kicked my butt.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: