Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #10531
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser
700 pages wow! Seems there are a lot of cycling fans like me out there :)
We've gotten off-track (pun intended) a few times, so reading the whole thread is pretty well pointless.

Post away with stories, etc.

M
Old 04-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #10532
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
First ride with the new shoes and clipless pedals. Much more efficient. Stopped at the turn around point of my 3.5 mile route, and you guessed it. Right foot out of the pedals ok. Decided to adjust my seat height while I was stopped. Went to take left foot out of pedal and just kicked the bike out from under me instead.

Minor carnage...

image cropped to avoid offending eyeballs.

On the upside my route only took 8.5 minutes instead of the 20 last time. Average cadence 76 average speed 14.6 max speed 30.1mph.

Too much fun!
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #10533
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812
First ride with the new shoes and clipless pedals. Much more efficient. Stopped at the turn around point of my 3.5 mile route, and you guessed it. Right foot out of the pedals ok. Decided to adjust my seat height while I was stopped. Went to take left foot out of pedal and just kicked the bike out from under me instead.

if they are SPD pedals, you probably should loosen up that little allen screw on each side several clicks (do both sides of each pedal the same number of clicks)... if they are TOO loose, you can snap out of them if you get carried away with the upstroke, so practice pedaling smoother, but they will release much easier when you twist your heel sideways to get out....

once you get used to the heel turn to release, you cann tighten them up a bit, again, same # of clicks on each side of each pedal to keep them balanced.

if they are some other kinda clipless, ignore me.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #10534
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,531
I just picked this up out of the flea market section. Should have it in a week or two. Looking forward to taking it for a spin but am wary of the wheelset. I'm 5'-10.5" w/ a 32" inseam and tip in around two and a quart. I'm thinking more spokes would be better.

legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #10535
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
I just picked this up out of the flea market section. Should have it in a week or two. Looking forward to taking it for a spin but am wary of the wheelset. I'm 5'-10.5" w/ a 32" inseam and tip in around two and a quart. I'm thinking more spokes would be better.
I'm 6'0 with a 30-31" inseam, and that frame looks way too short to me.

re; them wheels, yeah, I think I'd pull those off, save them, and get some 32 spoke 3-cross 700c wheels, at least for every day riding. those minimal spoked wheels skeer the sheet out of me.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #10536
legion
Wait Til Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce

re; them wheels, yeah, I think I'd pull those off, save them, and get some 32 spoke 3-cross 700c wheels, at least for every day riding. those minimal spoked wheels skeer the sheet out of me.
I'm hoping it'll fit. If not... I'll make it fit and ride it anyway for a year or so. P/O was taller than me and had been told the bike was a little big for him so I'm hoping the ergo's aren't too far out.

I appreciate the tip on the wheels and the thought of collapsing one at speed seems way too real to me. Any other thoughts right out of the gate? I used to ride entire summers up here w/out ever starting my car but that was over 25 years ago so I've got no clue what the current stuff is like but am really looking forward to getting back on. Wife rides in local tri's and club races so I've got a riding partner that can thrash me anytime I wanna go.

Those pedals don't come w/ the bike and we have an extra set or two laying around the house of the disc looking pedals posted previously. I'm assuming it's a decent pedal as the wife ride's the crap out of 'em but have no clue. Thoughts or suggestions?

Here's the quick spec on the bike if that helps put the size into perspective...

Frame: 56cm Klein Q Pro XX, custom Jittery Joe's paint job
Frame material: Aluminum, with carbon fiber seat stays
Color: Orange to red fade with flames
Weight: Estimated to be around 16 lb
Fork: Aeros carbon fiber
Headset: Cane Creek
Derailleurs (front/rear): Shimano Ultrega/Shimano Ultrega
Shifters: Shimano Ultrega Flight Deck
Crankset: Truvativ Rouleur
Handlebar: Carbon fiber (unknown brand)
Stem: Bontrager Race Lite, aluminum
Seat Post: Bontrager XXX Race Lite, carbon fiber
Saddle: Selle San Marco carbon
Wheelset: Bontrager Race Lites
Brakes: Gravity titanium brakes
Tires: Specialized Monda, size 700 x 23c
Old 04-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #10537
legion
Wait Til Friday

Quote:
Do you mean short between the spindles or do you mean TT height (or both)?

This guy is 5'11 and standing behind the same frame design that appears to be even shorter than the bike I've bought. ??
Old 04-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #10538
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Do you mean short between the spindles or do you mean TT height (or both)?

This guy is 5'11 and standing behind the same frame design that appears to be even shorter than the bike I've bought. ??
he looks to me to have very short legs and a relatively long torso, note he's got a rather long handlebar stem on there too.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #10539
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
if they are SPD pedals, you probably should loosen up that little allen screw on each side several clicks (do both sides of each pedal the same number of clicks)... if they are TOO loose, you can snap out of them if you get carried away with the upstroke, so practice pedaling smoother, but they will release much easier when you twist your heel sideways to get out....

once you get used to the heel turn to release, you cann tighten them up a bit, again, same # of clicks on each side of each pedal to keep them balanced.

if they are some other kinda clipless, ignore me.
They are Look type pedals. I think I have them set as loose as they will go right now. It is more of a flexability issue. I have a harder time turning my left foot out far enough to unlatch. I might massage the cleat with a dremel.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:48 AM   #10540
Javarilla
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer
the simpler among us learn the hard way

I figure building one will cost more in the long run, but it seems a good way to learn WTF I am doing

of course, I have been wrong thousands of times before and since I know from fuck all about this the chances of adding to that number are good

Damn straight!
Javarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #10541
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
I wouldn't worry too much about those wheels. As long as you aren't smashing into stuff they should last, I'm ~185lbs and I've got a couple thousand miles on a similar wheelset, still round and true.

I always meant to build up or get a second set of more conventional wheels, but never did. The only reason I wanted something different is that the deep rim section actually fills up with water if I ride a lot in the winter, making them quite a bit heavier...

Quote:
I'm hoping it'll fit. If not... I'll make it fit and ride it anyway for a year or so. P/O was taller than me and had been told the bike was a little big for him so I'm hoping the ergo's aren't too far out.

I appreciate the tip on the wheels and the thought of collapsing one at speed seems way too real to me. Any other thoughts right out of the gate? I used to ride entire summers up here w/out ever starting my car but that was over 25 years ago so I've got no clue what the current stuff is like but am really looking forward to getting back on. Wife rides in local tri's and club races so I've got a riding partner that can thrash me anytime I wanna go.

Those pedals don't come w/ the bike and we have an extra set or two laying around the house of the disc looking pedals posted previously. I'm assuming it's a decent pedal as the wife ride's the crap out of 'em but have no clue. Thoughts or suggestions?

Here's the quick spec on the bike if that helps put the size into perspective...

Frame: 56cm Klein Q Pro XX, custom Jittery Joe's paint job
Frame material: Aluminum, with carbon fiber seat stays
Color: Orange to red fade with flames
Weight: Estimated to be around 16 lb
Fork: Aeros carbon fiber
Headset: Cane Creek
Derailleurs (front/rear): Shimano Ultrega/Shimano Ultrega
Shifters: Shimano Ultrega Flight Deck
Crankset: Truvativ Rouleur
Handlebar: Carbon fiber (unknown brand)
Stem: Bontrager Race Lite, aluminum
Seat Post: Bontrager XXX Race Lite, carbon fiber
Saddle: Selle San Marco carbon
Wheelset: Bontrager Race Lites
Brakes: Gravity titanium brakes
Tires: Specialized Monda, size 700 x 23c
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #10542
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:

Nice lookin ride there Legion! I was eyeballin that for Stick Me, but alas, the champagne tastes on a beer budget got in the way once again.

IF it were me, I'd see what I could do about getting a pair of Open Pro/Aerohead wheels to train on. Give them fast guys to the wife and watch her rip! I have some low spoke count wheels that I go fast on, but not on a regular basis. I'm still riding a 20+ year old wheelset for my 'daily' wheels.

Oh, and rotate that handlebar back down where it should be (mostly level), and tilt the seat where IT should be (mostly level). If that seat don't fit yer anatomy, try a Regal, Aliante, or something bigger in the back.

M
Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #10543
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812

Minor carnage...

image cropped to avoid offending eyeballs.

On the upside my route only took 8.5 minutes instead of the 20 last time. Average cadence 76 average speed 14.6 max speed 30.1mph.

Too much fun!
Image deleted so we don't hafta look!

Did I forget to mention that falling thing to you? If I did, sorry.

If yer Just Riding Along (JRA) you should try and keep yer legs spinnin about 90rpm. Between 90 and 110 is recommended. Uphill? 40-60 min. Why? Because if yer spinnin, yer primarily usin yer aerobic system insteada yer muscular system. I can garntee you that yer aerobic system is gonna outlast yer muscular system!

10% per week is about all ya wanna add to yer loops. Get good at whatcher doin afore you add LOTS more miles. DAMHIK

M
Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #10544
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
If yer Just Riding Along (JRA) you should try and keep yer legs spinnin about 90rpm. Between 90 and 110 is recommended. Uphill? 40-60 min. Why? Because if yer spinnin, yer primarily usin yer aerobic system insteada yer muscular system. I can garntee you that yer aerobic system is gonna outlast yer muscular system!
M
That's the same advice I read on another forum last year. I had no idea where I was at until I bought a computer with cadence on it. I was cruising at about 75rpm. I made that my main focus for the rest of the year, and now am usually around 88 if I just pedal and not pay attention to it. I don't feel nearly as tired at the end of the ride, but I don't know if that should be attributed to the cadence I'm keeping, or just building up endurance.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #10545
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:
They are Look type pedals. I think I have them set as loose as they will go right now. It is more of a flexability issue. I have a harder time turning my left foot out far enough to unlatch. I might massage the cleat with a dremel.
do NOT modify your cleats! Double check the positioning of the cleat on the shoe first. You can cheat it in a little so that the release point is closer and you don't have to turn your foot as far. The next thing is practise getting out of it from a standstill.

My body is so used to it now that once when I submarined my skis into a front somersault I did a double eject from a twist release out of the bindings. Funny as hell when I discovered I'd broken both brakes in the event, covered under warranty fortunately
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: