Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #10546
Turbocelica
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Wide Shoes??

Since we're sorta on the shoe/pedal topic. Does anyone know of a mtb shoe that is clipless capable and available in extra wide??? I normally wear 4E width shoes and have previously never been able to locate a clipless compatable show in wide???

Justin
Turbocelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #10547
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Nice lookin ride there Legion! I was eyeballin that for Stick Me, but alas, the champagne tastes on a beer budget got in the way once again.

IF it were me, I'd see what I could do about getting a pair of Open Pro/Aerohead wheels to train on. Give them fast guys to the wife and watch her rip! I have some low spoke count wheels that I go fast on, but not on a regular basis. I'm still riding a 20+ year old wheelset for my 'daily' wheels.

Oh, and rotate that handlebar back down where it should be (mostly level), and tilt the seat where IT should be (mostly level). If that seat don't fit yer anatomy, try a Regal, Aliante, or something bigger in the back.

M
Thanks, Gummee! I definitely understand the beer budget thing. Maybe too well. Thanks for the tips re: my tail section. That hard thing on top of the seat post looks like it might fit if I greased it up first but I'm just not ready to make such a sacrifice.

I bet my wife would be mighty excited about a mothers day present of a new-ish set of wheels though and she rides like the world is on fire compared to me. Fourth in her class in last weekend's hillclimb. There just might be a brownie point hiding in there somewhere...
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #10548
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
Looking forward to taking it for a spin but am wary of the wheelset. I'm 5'-10.5" w/ a 32" inseam and tip in around two and a quart. I'm thinking more spokes would be better.
You probably won't kill them right from the get go.

My trek had the Bontrager "Select" 24 spoke rear wheel- pretty much the cheapest 24 spoke rear Bontrager offers. I started riding it at 260. I never lost a spoke and it always got me home. Had it in to be trued every couple hundred miles though.

Finally replaced under warranty last year with an even more fragile looking Race Lite. The spoke holes on the rim had started to crack.

Bike shops like to advise us big dudes to run really high pressure- they told me 10psi over the max on the stock tires. I've found it's better to go as low as possible without pinchflatting. I typically run my 25c rear at 80-90psi now- max on this tire is 120.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #10549
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,077
I've never brought a bicycle to a shop for repair and have been riding and fixing all of my friends bicycles since before I was a teen. I have probably changed over 500 tubes on a bicycle. I have also changed probably over a 100 motorcycle tires and well today I met my match.
I have been sick of flat on my cyclocross bike and yesterday after one in the rain I got angry and did some research. Today I bought what are supposed to be one of if not the toughest tires made. I bought a set of Schwable Marathon's with their liner. I bought a set in 28mm and went home to mount them. I did not use any tools to get the stock tire off. Then I had to fight with the bead on the new tire just to get one side on. I had to use tire levers which never happens for the first side. Put the tube in, a bit of air in it and started on the other side. Holy crab was that a nightmare, got it on and filled it up and "hiss" I pinched the tube. Cursed a bit pulled it out and patched it. Fought with it again and put it back in and "hiss" another flat.
Cursed more and put a new tube in and guess what "hiss"." I do not think I have pinched a tube in ten years and I did it three times. Put it on again and no pinch, but I CANNOT get the tire to seat evenly on the rim. I got pissed and gave up. I guess tomorrow I will try it with some tire lube.
I swear I would rather mount a double rim lock hard sidewall MX tire than one of these.
Oh and I didn't even start on the rear.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #10550
legion
Wait Til Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
I wouldn't worry too much about those wheels. As long as you aren't smashing into stuff they should last, I'm ~185lbs and I've got a couple thousand miles on a similar wheelset, still round and true.
Thanks. I'll let you know if the extra 40 pounds is a problem.

It seems to have been for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Bike shops like to advise us big dudes to run really high pressure- they told me 10psi over the max on the stock tires. I've found it's better to go as low as possible without pinchflatting. I typically run my 25c rear at 80-90psi now- max on this tire is 120.
The road shoulders here have a lot of pea gravel on 'em from winter. I wonder if a steady diet of pebbles and low pressure might cause some trouble. Are you riding on really clean surfaces?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #10551
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
... I have been sick of flat on my cyclocross bike and yesterday after one in the rain I got angry and did some research. Today I bought what are supposed to be one of if not the toughest tires made. I bought a set of Schwable Marathon's with their liner. ... Put it on again and no pinch, but I CANNOT get the tire to seat evenly on the rim. I got pissed and gave up.

i've had pretty good luck with the 'Armadillo' series of Specialized flat-proof kevlar lined tires. I'm using a 26x1.9 'Hemisphere' on my cruiser bike, that bike used to get thorn flats all the time, and I haven't had one since I switched.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #10552
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,827
Question for the experts.

I just bought some rollers in anticipation of starting to do some epic milage at home. My cadence is very low and because i don't use clips rather erratic/ jagged.

I'm thinking of getting clips for the bike, but i'm looking more at the egg beaters. Do I need to get special shoes to use egg beaters, or will any bike shoe work.

THX
Old 04-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #10553
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,679
That Klein's not gonna fit much more'n about a 25c tire (28c if they're REAL narrow for their sizes) with the way the frame geo is set up. I'd recommend going 25c for yer weight in a heartbeat. Stick Me is runnin some Mondo S-Works tires (gotta love workin for an LBS ) on her Ochsner and sez its MUCH more comfy than the 23c tires I had on there pumped up to 130-140psi.

If you can find em, box section rims help smooooove out the ride. Box section rims are WAY hard to find tho. MA2s and MA40s are the preferred box section clinchers in my garage. If yer going that route, go at least 36 in the back. You can get away with 32 in the front 'cause it don't support as much weight.

AFA JRA wheels: stick with Dura Ace (D/A) or Ultegra with the above mentioned Open Pros or Velocity Aeroheads. I've run both and like em. If yer cheep, look for some older Reflex series wheels. Very similar to the Open Pros, just a few years older. Oh, but DO NOT confuse em with the tubular Reflex rims. You'll get a nasty surprise if you try and put some clinchers on a tubular rim!

My personal recommendation for consumables (cassettes, chains, etc) is to go Ultegra. D/A is WAY spendy for that kinda shit.

HTH

M
Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #10554
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal
Question for the experts.

I just bought some rollers in anticipation of starting to do some epic milage at home. My cadence is very low and because i don't use clips rather erratic/ jagged.

I'm thinking of getting clips for the bike, but i'm looking more at the egg beaters. Do I need to get special shoes to use egg beaters, or will any bike shoe work.

THX
Which is it? We went over this above... You getting clipLESS pedals ie: Eggbeaters or you getting clips and straps?

If you say Eggbeaters, et al, you'll need special shoes.

AFA wide, Shimano is prolly the widest. They have custom moldable shoes out now too.

M
Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 AM   #10555
legion
Wait Til Friday

Quote:
HTH

M
It does. Thanks for the insight !

I missed your JRA acronym earlier and googled the crap out of it. Came up w/ some kind of goop you squirt into MTB tires in Europe and thought whaaaa? It all makes sense now. Thanks again
Old 04-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #10556
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
The road shoulders here have a lot of pea gravel on 'em from winter. I wonder if a steady diet of pebbles and low pressure might cause some trouble. Are you riding on really clean surfaces?

Hell no. I live in an old copper mining area. I'm surrounded by crushed mine rock. It's very hard, and very sharp. I use continental gatorskins and haven't had a problem. It's kind of cool when you catch a rock just right with a tire, hear a loud "PONG!" and launch it about 50 feet.

Prior to that, I used the stock bontrager selects. Those things were so tough, you could probably ride on nothing but sharp metal and broken glass and not have to worry. There was a perhaps somewhat perceptible decline in ride quality.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #10557
flip18436572
Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer: 3,047
Quote:
Check yer PMs in a bit.

Just got back from a drunkfest 3000 in Rocky Point, MEX. LOTS of from Thurs to Sun PM. Lemme check into hashes in yer neck o the woods online and I'll get back to ya. Worst case, google hash house harriers +your closest major city.

Hashing, while it *involves* running isn't *about* the running. Be careful. I started hashing at about 170 and I'm up to about 195 now.

M
I think your last two sentences say enough. Don't worry about sending a PM. I need to find a running partner not a drinking partner. I do that enough when the band gets together to learn a few more songs or to work on our CD.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #10558
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
I think your last two sentences say enough. Don't worry about sending a PM. I need to find a running partner not a drinking partner. I do that enough when the band gets together to learn a few more songs or to work on our CD.
well, before you give up entirely on the concept, google "hash house harriers" and read a few pages on the history and practice known as hashing
Old 04-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #10559
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip18436572
You don't HAVE to drink. There's marathoners that hash... Ultramarathoners too. Also happen to be wankers like me that hash often and drink too much doing it.

M
Old 04-24-2009, 03:31 AM   #10560
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,012
did someone say drinking?
I'm weighing in around 200 right now at the lowly height of 5'8", so I run Maxxis kevlar belted tires at 100psi min for road and 40 psi min in the wimpy little XC tires on my single speed
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: